Faction Focus: Tau Empire

Lord Marshal

Eagle-eyed Earth Caste engineers will notice that the special Grav-inhibitor Drones, Pulse Accelerator Drones, and Recon Drones are listed as wargear abilities, rather than models in their own right. That’s due to a new approach to Drones across the board – instead of individual models, all Drones are treated as equipment on a model’s datasheet, granting new weapons or abilities directly to their unit.

peAHQU6QYFb2MtEi.jpg

OeQC23nBUmNoaeVc.jpg

YnpwzJgbnXs1pgSV.jpg

dJV42LLqADJDMqeA.jpg

Lots of pretty cool changes, the drones in particular are a really nice change that still help the unit. The Kauyon, Observer and Guided rules are ace in my opinion. They keep your army fighting well even late into the game! It's nice especially on a pretty fragile army

When I got to the railgun card in the article, I thought "oh, not as powerful as I was fearing." Then I got to the Pulse Blast Cannon card and thought "oh, there it is."

That said, the change to drones seems interesting. The army rule seems about right. Interesting the fire warriors data sheet wasn't shown; I assume they will be battleline. Seems odd, but I guess a couple other articles have not shown battleline data sheets. I wish at least one such would be included in each of these articles.

8 minutes ago, Lord Marshal said:

Those jokes about Tau being reduced to BS5+ are a bit harsher in hindsight.

They're still effectively BS4+ with ion rifles - instead of -1 to hit for HEAVY when they move, they get a +1 to hit with HEAVY if they don't move, so the end result is the same as before.

Given I'm likely going to need to be taking tanks to hunt other tanks now for the first time in many years, multiple railguns are pretty butt puckering at first glance!

I have always loathed playing against Tau since they got to be unfairly durable against ranged and hard to charge. 

All these changes look healthy to me and their gun profiles still look scary. 

This is another case where you can really hear the toning down of the force while keeping it's flavor... I think. 

Changing the drones to war gear is interesting. Wonder if there will by any wording about having to model on seperate bases regardless, or does this open the window to model drones on the same base of a model, remove them entirely from the table if they get in the way, or...

Edited by Ahzek451

We know from the leaks that the +/-1 to hit /wound is still in effect. Interestingly, Spotters give you +1 Ballistic Skill and Heavy gives you +1 to hit so those can stack so it's still possible to get the Hammerheads hitting on 2s and the Pathfinder railguns hitting on 3s (although you probably want them spotting for units).

Pretty cool!

19 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Losing all those drone saves is going to hurt big time

Depends on the overall price of the units. In previous editions it was seriously annoying to see Tau players detach all their drones and use them to swarm around their highest value units as a mass of ablative wounds. This looks a lot better to me.

Is my reading comprehension flawed, or is there nothing stopping an observer unit from shooting something itself as well?

Not that this is an issue, just want to get things clear. 

Edited by Torvak Kyre

This probably means we can't field a Drone Blob anymore, right?

Or do people reckon there'll just be a specific unit for Drones we haven't seen yet.

7 minutes ago, Torvak Kyre said:

Is my reading comprehension flawed, or is there nothing stopping an observer unit from shooting something itself as well?

I think that's explicitly mentioned in the article.

7 minutes ago, Torvak Kyre said:

The Guided unit gets +1 to their Ballistic Skill when shooting the target, while the Observer shoots as normal that phase.

Mentioned below the army rule box.

3 minutes ago, Torvak Kyre said:

Observer units shoot normally, just without any benefit (But there's no penalty for splitting fire either, whereas the guided units lose accuracy if they shoot something other than the marked target).

4 minutes ago, Indy Techwisp said:

This probably means we can't field a Drone Blob anymore, right?

Or do people reckon there'll just be a specific unit for Drones we haven't seen yet.

I think that's explicitly mentioned in the article.

Yup.

"The Guided unit gets +1 to their Ballistic Skill when shooting the target, while the Observer shoots as normal that phase." 

An observer unit cannot itself be Guided, but can shoot as normal. 

Nice to see half the army will be BS 3+ now. Pathfinders get a boost to their armour save, and have a rare infantry carried anti armour gun in the rail rifle. Hammerheads rail guns are still great, and now hit on 3s if they stay still or have a friend nearby to help, and will occasionally mince an entire unit with the devastating wounds ability.