Faction Focus: Tau Empire

Lord Marshal

1 minute ago, Sorceress said:

dose it say anywhere that a guided unit can't be selected to observe when there unit is activated to shoot? we still activate one unit at a time in the shooting phase so if you activate unit 1 choose it to observe and unit 2 to be guided, do unit 1s shooting,  is there anything stopping you from picking unit 2 and having it observe for unit 3 and so on and so on in a daisy chain of murder? 

Yes, the steps for picking an observer requires it to not be either an observer or guided unit. So no daisy chaining

3 hours ago, Tokugawa said:

Up to 2+. +1 BS is not limited by "max +1 hit on total" right?

Current 9th ed rules support that. 

BS being modified doesn't modify the "to hit roll", its modifying a characteristic of the attack.

We'll have to see if that's the case in 10.  I haven't looked at the core rules leaks yet, but I'm sure somebody could vet if the logic there in 10 is the same as 9 if they've taken the time to.

10 hours ago, MagicHat said:

My left eye have started twitching. I can't confirm if this is related to Pathfinders getting 4+ save while my cogboys were dropped to 5+, but I can't rule it out either.

Isn't drones purchased by the team leader for infantry currently? I imagine the team leader will be the one that gets the +1 w for shield drones.

Votann and Admech dropped to BS4+, the latter also apparently became a Sv5+ faction as you said. Tau had their squishier guys bumped to Sv4+ while staying BS4+.

The other neat thing is, Markerlight 2.0 boosts BS characteristic, not hit rolls, therefore stacks. A stationary Hammerhead then hits on a 2+. Critical unchanged from being only 6s. (though, the 1/6 change to get sustained 3 hits with the railgun will definitely be burned in memories)

Funny stuff for the blue men. The Tau will be probably be hitting on a 2+ fairly regularly!

Edited by spessmarine

16 hours ago, Indy Techwisp said:

I think it specifies that both units need to see the target for the Spotting to work.

Edit:

Was too fast.

Damn, I red it again and you are right.

Edited by Isual

1 hour ago, spessmarine said:

Funny stuff for the blue men. The Tau will be probably be hitting on a 2+ fairly regularly!

That depends on how many [HEAVY] weapons we have access to, most of the regular battlesuit guns have been assault weapons for many editions now.
Without the +1 to hit if stationary from heavy, the +1BS from the army rule seems the only buff available. 

First of the previewed armies that AdMech bombardment will be good against, as being battleshocked prevents you from using markerlights. Similarly - Tyranids shadow over the warp might bring a lot of pain to the Tau players, disabling their faction ability for one turn (at least for the part of the army)

18 minutes ago, Madao said:

First of the previewed armies that AdMech bombardment will be good against, as being battleshocked prevents you from using markerlights. Similarly - Tyranids shadow over the warp might bring a lot of pain to the Tau players, disabling their faction ability for one turn (at least for the part of the army)

Battleshock prevents the use of stratagems. Markerlights will be an army rule. So I don’t see how rad bombardment is any worse for Tau, except that we’re likely to have more units sat in the deployment zone shooting at range.

Edited by VanDutch

8 minutes ago, AenarIT said:

No, battleshocked units can be guided but cannot guide others.

Hmm, you are right. The rule is too overcomplicated for me. But to be honest - it does not change anything in the end, as if whole army is battleshocked, then no one can be an Observer - > no one will be Guided

5 hours ago, Madao said:

Hmm, you are right. The rule is too overcomplicated for me. But to be honest - it does not change anything in the end, as if whole army is battleshocked, then no one can be an Observer - > no one will be Guided

Would pathfinders be able to scout out of their deployment zone and dodge the bombardment altogether?

Yes, they can. Ghostkeel and Stealthsuits can as well if they keep forward deployment (infiltrators in 10?). And everything, that can start in Manta and deepstrike later on in the game. With tailored list, I guess that you can secure the whole army from it.

It seems that Rad bombardment is awful here as well... My poor robo-cowboys from space...

EDIT: Hmm... It depends whose abilities are resolved first - both 'scouts' and rad-bombardment are at the beginning of the first battle round

Edited by Madao

10 minutes ago, tzeentch9 said:

Doesn’t matter if they do decide to be battleshocked, on the first turn that tau get to shoot, they will have a battleshock step and be back to normal by the shooting phase anyway

No, because the Battleshock from Rad-Bombardment lasts until the end of the first round.

5uaRkmx8li3INPa9.jpg

12 hours ago, The Unseen said:

Yes, the steps for picking an observer requires it to not be either an observer or guided unit. So no daisy chaining

the step for picking a observer only requires it not be a observer, it says nothing about guided units. 

I mean I agree they seemed to intend it to not be done this way, I just see a day one errata in the future for it. 

22 minutes ago, Sorceress said:

the step for picking a observer only requires it not be a observer, it says nothing about guided units. 

I mean I agree they seemed to intend it to not be done this way, I just see a day one errata in the future for it. 

You can only pick units that are eligable to shoot as Observer units. If they are a Guided unit they have already shot, hence aren't eligable to shoot anymore.

A unit that has already acted as an observer cannot itself be guided.

3 Tau units, A, B, C, Target T.

A is picked to shoot. It is not an observer and is eligible to shoot, so it picks B to be it's Observer (both can see T, making it Spotted). A is now Guided, shoots with +1BS at T; if B has markerlights, A also ignores T's cover. (Shooting at anything else than T, A is -1BS and doesn't benefit from B's markerlights). So far so good.

If B is picked to shoot, it is already an Observer so cannot use from "For the Greater Good" per the rule. Therefore it cannot make e.g. C its observer unit to make B Guided. But B can shoot normally.

If C is picked to shoot it can take advantage of FTGG, but cannot pick B as its observer since B already has observer status and is thus excluded. It cannot pick A as A is no longer eligible to shoot having already done so this phase, so is also excluded from being an Observer. So C can only shoot normally also.

If there was a unit D, C could do another Guided/Observer pairing and gain +1BS, assuming D is not battleshocked, has already shot, or is an observer already.

ok sorry my brain was reversing the observer/ guided roles,I thought it was the the observer who was active and gave a bonus to the guided unit, but instead it's the guided unit that forces another unit to observer for it. which seems all sorts backwards when you think of how actual spotters tend to work. but ya no daisy chain. still one of the most wordy rules we have seen so far. 

11 hours ago, AenarIT said:

That depends on how many [HEAVY] weapons we have access to, most of the regular battlesuit guns have been assault weapons for many editions now.
Without the +1 to hit if stationary from heavy, the +1BS from the army rule seems the only buff available. 

I was thinking that Markerlight 2.0 being worded specially as a modification to BS indicated the army would have sufficient access to +1 to hit. Otherwise, why bother modifying characteristic? Modifying enables stacking with +1.

1 hour ago, marspeople said:

Pathfinders seem like they are going to be worth their weight in gold in 10th.

And thus targeted with extreme prejudice, and they're soft targets.

I'm still not sold on this implementation being simplified. Compare to the mess that was Crossfire for GSC, which we've yet to see what they do with them.