Faction Focus: Adeptus Custodes

I don't hate what we saw, but it's another faction focus where we don't get the most basic, face of the faction troop.

Kinda balls.  I also hope that the Vexillus Praetor isn't also just +1 to OC, which feels kinda meh.  Kinda weird they are removing it as a unit and folding standards back into the troop.

Just now, Noserenda said:

Bizarre that Sisters of Silence now have absolutely no protection from a lot of psychic powers? 

At least we get Aegis of the Emperor and can ignore the stupid Katah :) 

They get a 3+ FNP against psychic attacks.  That feels pretty robust without being game breaking.

Good gameplay balance should always come first but it does feel wrong that Custodes can get battle shocked relatively easily, lore wise at least. They are going to have less units already so that balances it out. I think they should of got re-rolls. 

Edited by Bradeh

I am absolutely delighted with this. Can't wait to see the rest of the datasheets on release day.

My Dread Host will be quite happy; 3 units of 6 Terminators, each joined by a Vexilla.

Hopefully, Trajan can join Guardians or Wardens. His weapon looks perfect for one-shotting a Primarch with the Moment Shackle buff.

Vexilla listed as wargear. So no longer a character model, but just part of a unit similar to 30k?

T7 terminators (sorry Blightlords) is nice.

After the removal of 3+ invulns across 9th, I never thought we'd see a 2+ invuln even as a once per game thing.

Katahs seem at least useful and simple now. Not the stupid current system.

Ld6+.........well it fits with what we've seen so far across other factions. Battleshock isn't about models fleeing anymore. 

Damage 3 back on axes. Thank goodness. The choice between spears and axes is at least a decision to make now.

I'm alright with this article in the whole. 

7 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

But completely useless against anything that isnt doing damage? 

Well they don't need protection against something that isn't doing damage :)

With Precision against Psykers, the ranged ones can just pop the psyker out of the squad they're in. I guess considering how character wound allocation goes, it wouldn't let them snipe out an Aspiring Sorcerer that's in a Rubric Marine squad (as he's part of the squad), but that might be for the better for balance.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

Well they don't need protection against something that isn't doing damage :)

With Precision against Psykers, the ranged ones can just pop the psyker out of the squad they're in. I guess considering how character wound allocation goes, it wouldn't let them snipe out an Aspiring Sorcerer that's in a Rubric Marine squad (as he's part of the squad), but that might be for the better for balance.

Plot twist: Aspiring Sorcerers become independent characters

2 minutes ago, sitnam said:

Plot twist: Aspiring Sorcerers become independent characters

I was thinking about that, but I wasn't going to expound further unless someone else brought it up :D

Hopefully they don't do that :sweat:

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I knew we'd take some hits and heck hyped for the flat three axe damage but...ap-1 and a penalty to hit?

Literally no range game previewed so that's not feeling awesome. Slayer of tyrants I was hoping for a +1 to wound or something since str9 against anything with armour over 10 is yeouch. 

Valoris does look proper horrifying to get into cc with. 

Idk why I was hoping for some improvement to the built in bolters. They have always felt and will continue to be... incredibly underwhelming to bother shooting due to the number of models bearing them. 

Overall expected fairly underwhelming but expected it in a way that left custodes better off for moral reasons...not be as vulnerable as marines. That's a weird one to reconcile. 

The Vigilators look kinda cool into psyker armies...4+ to hit causes 2MWs, if I'm understanding the keywords right...probably not enough attacks to really do work into other targets. Shame the Bolters are still basic, that's just not going to scare most characters. 

The 3+FNP againgst psychic mortals and no ability to hinder other powers seems a bit off, but maybe there's other stuff like a strat to negate a buff. Feels difficult to judge as of yet.

I will say that Stratagem seems pretty clutch for a low model count army. Basically all infantry is 1 bigger in swap for a CP. That looks decent to me.

This is an army where points matter a lot so I think I will reserve further judgment until we see how many bodies we can roll out.