Faction Focus: Adeptus Custodes

I don't see most SM armies running 10-man squads, probably MSU like all of 8th/9th- Custodes are pretty well designed to take out marines. Even a three man Guardian squad is going to be putting out a lot of damage against a marine squad; 6 -1AP 2d shots that can be fired while Advancing if needed, then between 10-15 S7 -2AP d2 melee attacks re-rolling 1s to Wound, or all to Wound if the enemy is on an objective. Unless your opponent has really hot dice, that's a ton of 4+ and 5+ saves that will kill off a regular marine for each fail. Removing a marine squad from an objective seems likely to be fairly easy for a Custodian squad as you only have to kill off 3 marines to have OC superiority, though holding it or taking over vs more than a single squad may be problematic. 

4 minutes ago, Lord_Ikka said:

I don't see most SM armies running 10-man squads, probably MSU like all of 8th/9th

I think we will start seeing larger Marine units, at least for the heavy-hitters. Now that Character buffs only apply to the squad they lead, it incentivizes bigger squads to maximise the buff and protect the Character. Bigger squads are also less vulnerable to Battleshock which I think will be important in 10th. I recon Marine armies will be made up of 2-3 large bricks with lots of Character support and then a smattering of smaller "expendable" units for trading, chasing Objectives and harassing the enemy.

On 5/25/2023 at 4:22 AM, Urauloth said:

T7 4W terminators, eh? Hmph. I see how it is. 

Now I see what Marines need those new Anti-Infantry combi weapons for.  :eek:

Yes, objective control without clearing the objectives looks to be a problem. And if you already clear the objective, then I'd say OC number is irrelevant anyway. So Custodes looks like they'll be incredibly reliant on killing everything, but since the overall lethality of the game is supposed to went down, doesn't bode all that well? 

To be honest, killing models was never really a problem for Custodes. I'm not worried about holding objectives too much, though late game it might be tight if you have 2 Custodes and 4 Marines competing at the end... but hey that's the game.

6 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

To be honest, killing models was never really a problem for Custodes. I'm not worried about holding objectives too much, though late game it might be tight if you have 2 Custodes and 4 Marines competing at the end... but hey that's the game.

I may be remembering wrong, haven't playes custodes in 40k for some time, but I don't remember the plastic ones being super killy with their low number of shots/attacks and d3D. Unless we are talking about d6D salvo launchers. Plus their strongest stuff that was nerfed was their durability and obsec, not the killiness. And the overall lethality of 10ed is supposed to go down compared to previous I heard, so, if true, we can expect more enemy models to be alive compared to previous editions and contesting objectives. Which I see as a potential problem with low model count army to get points. 

We'll see better tomorrow when the imperium index hits. 

Edited by Balerion84

That is the problem we took a double hit in this one thing so far:

Damage across the board 

Ability to hold the objective

Those two combined to look a bit painful against fast and high model count armies. 

Hopefully we get means of force multipliers with other shield captain types and importantly, the fw list really shores up not just our weakness but our massive gap in fire power. 

Not too concerned about us being durable but we are more than hard to kill right?