Faction Focus: Adeptus Custodes

13 minutes ago, sairence said:

The 3+FNP againgst psychic mortals and no ability to hinder other powers seems a bit off, but maybe there's other stuff like a strat to negate a buff. Feels difficult to judge as of yet.

General denial of psychic powers just doesn't seem to be a thing in 10th edition.

Yeah kind of wish SoS had kept their “we can’t be affected by psychic powers” schtick. Was really cool and would have been an interesting game mechanic in 10th I feel. 

A little bummed about the LD (Eldar guardians and Adeptus Custodes are on the same page) and the vexilla change but it seems fine. I would love to get to play 10th. Not excited to print off all of these army cards though

17 hours ago, MasterDeath said:

Then just Shot the psyker. Precision + devastating 

Yeah that works against weenie psykers, but its still unfluffy.

17 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

Well they don't need protection against something that isn't doing damage :)

With Precision against Psykers, the ranged ones can just pop the psyker out of the squad they're in. I guess considering how character wound allocation goes, it wouldn't let them snipe out an Aspiring Sorcerer that's in a Rubric Marine squad (as he's part of the squad), but that might be for the better for balance.

Pariahs are immune to psychic powers though, so it feels off to have them completely unprotected against a whole bunch of them. You know debuffs, hexes and the like exist right?  

17 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Agreed. Sometimes the best defence is a good offence.

Thats not how pariahs work on top of being nonsense.

Edited by Xenith
Don't be rude.

16 hours ago, Noserenda said:

Yeah that works against weenie psykers, but its still unfluffy.

Pariahs are immune to psychic powers though, so it feels off to have them completely unprotected against a whole bunch of them. You know debuffs, hexes and the like exist right?  

Along the lines of my first takeaway from this was a "wat" at the sisters.

It wouldn't be that hard to have their rule just be: "This unit can never be the target of, or affected by, any psychic attacks, abilities, or area effects" (& whatever psychic 'type' of thing may exist other than those. Paraphrasing since I haven't read the core leaks to understand what all the psychic classifications that may exist are)

Not complex at all, maintains their fluff.

Edited by Xenith

10 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

That's not how they worked in previous editions but we are dealing with a new paradigm. Having the Anti-Psyker ability on their attacks actually brings them closer into line with the Culexus who is also supposed to be a Pariah.

11 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

You know debuffs, hexes and the like exist right?  

Most of the powers we have seen that affect enemy units are direct damage attacks. So far we have only seen a single power that debuffs enemy units (Chaos Knights "Vortex Terrors"). Yes it seems unfluffy that it could target SoS but if there are not many such abilities then it may simply not be worth creating new abilities for. Because if SoS get such as ability then people are going to be asking for similar abilities for other units that are "obviously" immune to such psychic shenanigans.

The MO for 10th seems to be that Psychic powers cannot be actively countered. This is good in some ways as previously it made Psychic attacks inferior to abilities like Litanies, Star God powers, Ethereal abilities etc as these all simply happened and could not be countered. Now Psychics are on a level playing field with other buffing abilities.

26 minutes ago, Borbarad said:

The new katas are straightforward and powerful but I feel that they could have thrown a utility kata in there. 

Also in which situations would one opt for -1 to hit over the two more offensive katas?

You choose EVERY Fight Phase, so on your enemies turn you go -1 to hit, then on your turn you go back to one of the offensive ones.  Pretty good way to show the Custodes flexibility while also staying Elite tier.

33 minutes ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

Anyone else looking at the axes and just saying "Nope"?

Nope as in "I don't want to take those" or Nope as in "I don't want to play against those"? Cuz they seem pretty legit.  They lost one AP but gained strength, and damage.  With Lethality going down, straight up gaining a damage is pretty sweet.

I'm most interested in what the Sentinel Blade's gonna confer.  And what Praetors getting folded back into their squads mean for their equipment.

Edited by DemonGSides

2 minutes ago, DemonGSides said:

You choose EVERY Fight Phase, so on your enemies turn you go -1 to hit, then on your turn you go back to one of the offensive ones.  Pretty good way to show the Custodes flexibility while also staying Elite tier.

Nope as in "I don't want to take those" or Nope as in "I don't want to play against those", cuz they seem pretty legit.  They lost one AP but gained strength, and damage.  With Lethality going down, straight up gaining a damage is pretty legit.

I'm most interested in what the Sentinel Blade's gonna confer.  And what Praetors getting folded back into their squads mean for their equipment.

-1 to hit compared to slear, poor ap and less attacks. There is a case to be made that spears out perform more often. Will have to run numbers against common enemies but I'm pretty sure the spears do more against the new terminator profile even given they force them to use invul. 

1 minute ago, gaurdian31 said:

Custodes are looking alright, glad to see they get Dark Pact without the negatives.

Only in melee, and it has to be army wide so you can't have Devastating Wounds vs. Heavy infantry and sustained hits vs. Light in the same turn.

22 minutes ago, Hellex_The_Thanatar said:

-1 to hit compared to sPear, poor ap and less attacks. There is a case to be made that spears out perform more often. Will have to run numbers against common enemies but I'm pretty sure the spears do more against the new terminator profile even given they force them to use invul. 

It's almost like the two weapons are supposed to fill different roles ;)

20 minutes ago, gaurdian31 said:

Custodes are looking alright, glad to see they get Dark Pact without the negatives.

Not really, but we're gonna keep hearing this from every faction focus out of CSM players even though they never get it right

42 minutes ago, Metzombie said:

Enemy fight phase if they charged with lots of units.

29 minutes ago, DemonGSides said:

Thanks; I overlooked that it is each fight phase. It makes sense to activate when an enemy charges. 

1 hour ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

Anyone else looking at the axes and just saying "Nope"?

Damage 3 isn't to be sniffed at. The lack of it in the current codex was occasionally very painful. AP-1 isn't great, but also has to be expected with AP dropping everywhere. Would I run an army with pure axes? No. But I think they have their place.

I'm liking the changes in a vacuum. Very powerful in melee against infantry, but I do think there's a problem against vehicles that might be an issue outside expensive Land Raiders.

Though the Land Raider might be fiendish for them now, so that's a plus. Again competitively speaking maybe not as there are some powerful weapons out there.

Loving Allarus Terminators. They're gonna be amazingly powerful I think. T7 and 4 wounds... cor.

The Forge World changes will be the most interesting after this now.

Only just clocked that the Terminators and Sisters have lost an inch of movement. That said the spear and axe are both assault so not giving those up to advance will help. Odd that the Ballistus isn't assault though when it currently is. On top of losing strength and AP.

1 minute ago, Captain Idaho said:

The Forge World changes will be the most interesting after this now.

That's the big question, isn't it? Custodes are kind of weird in legit having as many (if not more?) FW units compared to their Citadel counterparts. They should be playtested together, but .....

Reading this from the studio comments is intriguing too:

Many Adeptus Custodes units have two abilities as a result – the second being a ‘Once per battle…’ ability that can be used to give the unit a heroic boost at a critical moment.