Battle for Oghram - decide the fate of a world!

I guess thats because they know how their audience is weighted, Marine players probably outnumber nids 10:1 at least and the whole purpose is to get folks engaging with the website and signed up to newsletters. I suspect thats why its "so close" to encourage people to bother.

3 hours ago, phandaal said:

Whichever faction they have chosen to win, the results will be so close that "we are going to release a teaser miniature from the losing faction, and stay tuned for the full reveal very soon!"

They're going to release both previews within a 2 week of each other. Whatever army DOESN'T get shown will certainly be at Gencon.

So like...they might actually be letting it slide? I hope so, I'd love to see Nids on the 15th.

2 minutes ago, Craig said:

If marines win and the reveals are: desolation marines in phobos armour and an ATV with a new weapon loadout, the community outrage will be hilarious. LoL

ATV with Las-talon turret, yes please.

That's the same disclaimer they had when they ran the win a year of Warhammer competition last(?) year.  Gives them an out if something ends up in a situation where contractually it can't be given away.  

I honestly think this will probably just be a metrics gathering exercise with the winner already determined.

But in the spirit of the lore I have contributed my result which went to the Astartes for my first game of tenth. For good or bad the first company of the Summoners valiantly held their ground against the unrelenting foul Xenos horde at the battle of reclamation plant Gamma Epsilon Five Niner Six.

They asked no quarter and none was given, glory to him on Terra!

It's funny to see both sides say that it's a dead cert the other will win and it's already been decided.  Thing is it's no skin off GW's nose who wins.  The 'campaign' element of this is tertiary (by a long way) behind the primary element of reveals and the secondary one of the competition.  They will have the reveal articles already written for both sides as they need to do both reveals at some point anyway this just decides which goes first.  There is no real point for them to manipulate it.

Previously when they have manipulated the result it has been for actual campaigns that had actual consequences in the lore.

1 hour ago, Doghouse said:

I honestly think this will probably just be a metrics gathering exercise with the winner already determined.

I could definitely see a Tyranid victory being "pre-ordained" as it makes sense both lore-wise and marketing-wise...

Lore-wise, Oghram is in the same system as the White Templars' homeworld. Having the Tyranids nom down an otherwise-unremarkable planet is really not a big deal if they follow through with having the Templars expel the 'nids from the system and save their own world of Sanctum in the process. But making it part of a big "interactive" (YMMV) launch event for 10th Edition gives the impression that the Tyranids are scoring some great milestone victory. Meanwhile, who ever heard of Oghram before this? And who would miss it?

Marketing-wise, it makes sense as showing the Marine range at GenCon will draw in a fair amount of normies who are on the 40K bubble but statistically are more likely to pay attention to a show that is promoted to feature Space Marines than one featuring those... bug-things, what are they called again? And on the other hand, now instead of risking a large percentage of Space Marine players tuning into a preview show ONLY featuring Space Marines and no other factions or games, they're going to have to wade through all of the non-Astartes and non-40K detritus to get their Space Marine fix.

Of course, in the intervening weeks, Marines will probably have ONE unit shown off on WarCom which will again statistically bring in more eyeballs to that article AND allow them to more broadly advertise the upcoming GenCon event.

This is assuming the Marines do not in fact stage an implausible rally over the weekend and somehow come out on top when the final tally is unveiled... not that I'd question the legitimacy of such a thing, of course.

2 hours ago, Lord Nord said:

This is assuming the Marines do not in fact stage an implausible rally over the weekend and somehow come out on top when the final tally is unveiled... not that I'd question the legitimacy of such a thing, of course.

The fact that marines aren't already winning by 90% or more is evidence enough that GW is tampering with the results.
Marines have way more players worldwide and the Marine half of the Box is worth way more points than the 'nids half.

Edited by Indy Techwisp
DW -> GW

You do need a (unique per box) code from Leviathan to log a win in either direction though.  And while the Marine half of the box may be worth more points, my local Nid players have pointed out to me that the Nid half is worth more money. Anecdotally to me, our local box buyers are just as likely to be Nid players who have sold the Astartes half (and kept the 'chaff' like the code pamphlet) as vice versa, so I doubt there is a need to tamper?

I am a cynic though...

6 hours ago, Disruptor_fe404 said:

You do need a (unique per box) code from Leviathan to log a win in either direction though.  And while the Marine half of the box may be worth more points, my local Nid players have pointed out to me that the Nid half is worth more money. Anecdotally to me, our local box buyers are just as likely to be Nid players who have sold the Astartes half (and kept the 'chaff' like the code pamphlet) as vice versa, so I doubt there is a need to tamper?

I am a cynic though...

Marine players wanting the marine half far outstrip nid players wanting the nid half in raw numbers. Even if your local scene has appeared to have had a 50/50 spread, on the whole there's way more marine players getting a hold of the leviathan box. Basically nid players unloading their marine halves would be unable to generate enough supply to meet the demand of marine players wanting a marine half. Sure, there's no numbers for marine players getting their marine half off of tyranid players who keep the box, or vice versa. Also not everyone with the code will simply input their faction of choice, some will genuinely play a game which could go either way. But even if we assume the ratios of the different constellations (ie, those who got the box themselves, vs those who got their mini half from another who kept the box or any other variation) to be similiar between both groups, then in the end we still have that the group of marine players who got the entire box for themselves (undecided what to do with the nids) should be far larger than nid players in the opposite situation.

But, I dunno. Presumably, if everyone filled out their entries 100% in spirit with the event, ie they played a game with the two halves, we would have a win loss ratio that accurately reflects the strength difference between the two halves. The marine half being costed more points, presumably means this again favors the marine half (though this requires us to assume that the two sides are correctly costed). Either way, everyone playing a game to input their results was obviously never going to happen, so a large section of input will simply come down to popularity contest, which is a raw number of participants game. I just don't see marine players losing that.

Edited by Marshal Reinhard
grammar. the bane of my existence

The thing to remember is that while the box contents will be uneven points wise, but the combat patrols contained with in are. That was how I played and it worked quite well. 

Plus, I don't think GW care enough to rig this contest, because why would they? 

An aside though for people playing combat patrol using the app, the sheet for the Termagaunts doesn't include the Ripper swarms for some reason (the downloadable one is correct).

2 hours ago, ZeroWolf said:

Plus, I don't think GW care enough to rig this contest, because why would they? 

Because they want people to fill in the results and provide their data. Its a fairly classic pattern to show it neck and neck, and then have the less popular faction pull slightly ahead. Gets people who might not have bothered off the fence/

It also encourages people to play the game, which im not sure is the primary objective, but could well convince people who might not have otherwise to give gaming a try.

The campaign is the thing, not the result :) 

Edited by Noserenda

12 hours ago, Indy Techwisp said:

The fact that marines aren't already winning by 90% or more is evidence enough that GW is tampering with the results.
Marines have way more players worldwide and the Marine half of the Box is worth way more points than the 'nids half.

Not every marine player wants them to win- I voted for Nids even though I'm not a Nid player and sold my xenos half of the box.

57 minutes ago, Lord_Ikka said:

Not every marine player wants them to win- I voted for Nids even though I'm not a Nid player and sold my xenos half of the box.

And here is another factor, it's not a "vote", it's supposed to be the result of a game. I've seen multiple social media posts of people trying to garner more "votes" for their preferred side.

There's also going to be a stack of people who don't bother playing and just choose something to be entered in the contest.

I don't think anyone should be taking this overly seriously.