Battle for Oghram - decide the fate of a world!

Indeed, its not a vote. But it is a ticket in to possibly winning models for hundreds of pounds/dollars/euros. Everyone who got a box but didnt't have time to schedule a game, we dont expect them to politely sit this out, do we? So the most numerous faction would get the most of these "votes".

Edited by Marshal Reinhard

1 hour ago, Brother_Angelus said:

And here is another factor, it's not a "vote", it's supposed to be the result of a game.

Thing is GW boiled it down to a vote the moment they gave everyone only two weeks.  A vast majority of people are unlikely to have built the contents of the box in that time.  Let alone had time to paint and then play with it on top of that.  You can't blame people for entering a contest without playing a game.  They may well have other commitments that mean they could never hope to play a game in such a tight timeframe.  It's a thematic competition and popularity contets nothing more.

1 minute ago, Nova-V said:

Thing is GW boiled it down to a vote the moment they gave everyone only two weeks.  A vast majority of people are unlikely to have built the contents of the box in that time.  Let alone had time to paint and then play with it on top of that.  You can't blame people for entering a contest without playing a game.  They may well have other commitments that mean they could never hope to play a game in such a tight timeframe.  It's a thematic competition and popularity contets nothing more.

Further to that, GW themselves said it was fine to use other armies and sub in the results iirc when it kicked off.

4 hours ago, AenarIT said:

The only thing that the website asks for is the code you find in the box and then to click on which of the two factions "won" the game you played. That's it. 
No other details are needed.

Unless you want the chance to actually win the contest prize, at which point you need email at the very least

6 hours ago, Brother_Angelus said:

And here is another factor, it's not a "vote", it's supposed to be the result of a game. I've seen multiple social media posts of people trying to garner more "votes" for their preferred side.

There's also going to be a stack of people who don't bother playing and just choose something to be entered in the contest.

I don't think anyone should be taking this overly seriously. 

Games Workshop seems to think it is a vote:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/07/09/sunday-preview-starter-sets-for-gamers-and-painters/

On top of that, there’s all the usual good stuff, and then on Saturday a very special preview revealing all the miniatures coming for the faction that wins the Battle for Oghram. Don’t forget to cast your vote!

Should be "don't forget to enter your results," if it were in fact a tabulation of the battles people are playing.

At the end of the day, it also isn't that important. All it does is determine when they show off some kits, not even affecting their release schedule. Given the timeline, we'll know both of them over the next 2-3 months anyways.

Meh, not really fussed which side "wins" the vote/contest, as I am sure we will see everything within the next few weeks anyway.

Keeping my fingers crossed for new Tyranid Warriors/Shrikes, Genestealers and Lictors. For the other side, I am keeping my fingers crossed for new Deathwing/Ravenwing stuff, but that will be when the Dark Angels get their own release. 

1 hour ago, GenerationTerrorist said:

Meh, not really fussed which side "wins" the vote/contest, as I am sure we will see everything within the next few weeks anyway.

Keeping my fingers crossed for new Tyranid Warriors/Shrikes, Genestealers and Lictors. For the other side, I am keeping my fingers crossed for new Deathwing/Ravenwing stuff, but that will be when the Dark Angels get their own release. 

I think weeks might be a little short for the loser, can't imagine them doing a full faction reveal for a book/release that's still 4 months out possibly. Working on the assumption this impacts release schedules in any way. Either way it might be a long wait between seeing and buying.

I just hope the loser's reveal isn't too far behind. This does seem to hint that each side will get enough to fill an entire reveal alone (not that marines need it, lol). to agree with above posters, no way in hell they don't at least tease the loser's reveals at the end.

31 minutes ago, MaximusTL said:

I just hope the loser's reveal isn't too far behind. This does seem to hint that each side will get enough to fill an entire reveal alone (not that marines need it, lol). to agree with above posters, no way in hell they don't at least tease the loser's reveals at the end.

Going by the winners prize, there's £500 worth of kit coming in for both but we can take £125 off that instantly now that we know the ultimate starter price.

It's actually kinda sad to see how many folks took their code and, without playing a single game, "voted" for their preferred faction.

What an absurd way to twist a fun community event. Instead of discussing how the games went, we've spent pages arguing about it being rigged, or saying how we "voted".

I wish we could get back to a community that actually enjoys the game rather than one that spends its energy crawling over each other trying to prove how much more cynical one can be over the next frater.

Edited by Lemondish

Not saying who won and which side is getting shown off is going to boost their viewer numbers this Saturday for sure.

For all of five minutes until a chunk of the people watching leave angrily once the winner is revealed and it's not what they wanted to see.

15 minutes ago, Brother Captain Arkley said:

I thought it was 1k each?

You're absolutely right, I had it in my head it was £2500 ÷ 5 but its £5000.

11 minutes ago, Mogger351 said:

That and the starter boxes were excluded I thought?

Its a bit confusing as some one pointed out that they draw attention to the starter set in the clause directly below the no limited edition sets.

57 minutes ago, MaximusTL said:

I fully trust in GW's ability to make a 1 hour reveal stream about a single model if they want to.

The vote did not matter, I think. GW is probably either seeing which side the community wants to win (or lose, as the colossal hate rager for SM the last couple of weeks is indicative) or went into it with a preset winner.

My money is the loser having a reveal stream in Aug or Sept, GW likes to stretch stuff out and to do a reveal stream every month or so.

30 minutes ago, DeadFingers said:

Not saying who won and which side is getting shown off is going to boost their viewer numbers this Saturday for sure.

For all of five minutes until a chunk of the people watching leave angrily once the winner is revealed and it's not what they wanted to see.

I had the same thought initially, but now I wonder if they're going to at least tease a special reveal for one model or unit from the losing side for those who stick around through the entire reveal stream.

They could even declare that the vote was SO close that they've decided to show both factions in full... but that would be begging for more bellyaching if the winning faction is the Tyranids ("OF COURSE the spoiled Marine players got to see all of their models even though they lost! Rip-off!") On the other hand, if the Space Marines get the come-from-behind victory, then throwing a bone to the 'nid players would be seen as a magnanimous gesture by pretty much everyone.

Whatever they end up doing, I'm sure there will be some incentive for players of the losing faction to hang around until the end.

Then again, GW's marketing has surprised me in the past...

Just occurred to me, based on when KT might be set to drop featuring new scouts by rumour, is it likely we get the marine preview so they don't exist in isolation? I'd also wager KT dropping after the marine codex logically to accommodate them.