Battle for Oghram - decide the fate of a world!

9 hours ago, Lemondish said:

It's actually kinda sad to see how many folks took their code and, without playing a single game, "voted" for their preferred faction.

What an absurd way to twist a fun community event. Instead of discussing how the games went, we've spent pages arguing about it being rigged, or saying how we "voted".

I wish we could get back to a community that actually enjoys the game rather than one that spends its energy crawling over each other trying to prove how much more cynical one can be over the next frater.

It is hard to keep people honest outside of holding these kinds of events in-store. That is just how things go, not really a cynical take on things.

As for whether the results are "legitimate," they almost certainly are not. Also not really a cynical take. This is a marketing event specifically tied to a new product release.

The chance of a random series of games played on the honor system creating a cinematic back-and-forth swing of evenly matched, then Space Marines have a narrow margin, then Tyranids push back harder, etc etc, that is pretty low.

Edited by phandaal

3 hours ago, Lemondish said:

It's actually kinda sad to see how many folks took their code and, without playing a single game, "voted" for their preferred faction.

What an absurd way to twist a fun community event. Instead of discussing how the games went, we've spent pages arguing about it being rigged, or saying how we "voted".

I wish we could get back to a community that actually enjoys the game rather than one that spends its energy crawling over each other trying to prove how much more cynical one can be over the next frater.

well it is kind of impossible to “check” which votes were true and which one were fake. I would also add that they really give small time to actually play, I’m not a really slow painter, but I also have other IRL stuff to do  and just yesterday managed to finish my space marine “patrol” units. I honestly think some people vote because they couldn’t arrange a proper day to play.

With that out of the way, I really hope they repeat events like this. Having online worldwide campaigns is fun!

marines will win all of them though, unless the manage to find a way to “mitigate” their numbers 

5 hours ago, Lemondish said:

Then GW shouldn't have made it a substantial prize draw tied to a code exclusively in a new product box with a max 3 week window (I had less, thanks to royal mail, for example) I've barely had time to start putting _any_ models together, let alone paint the whole box - or have a game with bare models (which I hate). I have a job and a family that both take precedence over my hobby, and I very much doubt I'm unusual in that regard.

Edited by Arkhanist

8 minutes ago, Arkhanist said:

Then GW shouldn't have made it a substantial prize draw tied to a code exclusively in a new product box with a max 3 week window (I had less, thanks to royal mail, for example) I've barely had time to start putting _any_ models together, let alone paint the whole box - or have a game with bare models (which I hate). I have a job and a family that both take precedence over my hobby, and I very much doubt I'm unusual in that regard.

You’re not unusual in that regard. I had a week less, thanks to GW themselves - my copy of Leviathan wasn’t even shipped from GW until the Friday AFTER its release.

I’ve only managed to assemble and start putting the base layers down on the Tyranid side, the marine half is still on the sprue in the box. If I’d not had a week off work last week, I doubt I’d even have the Tyranids basecoated. 

Like Doghouse, I’ve thought of my entry as the lottery ticket for entry. Not ideal.

This event was the worst GW ever did. 
I got my Leviathan box yesterday...

I ordered directly from GW, after a week I wrote them why it´s not sent. They told me, it will be sent soon, made a case at UPS to ship the box and...did again nothing for a whole week before handing the package over to UPS.

And they wonder why no one orders from GW directly...

15 hours ago, Lord Nord said:

On the other hand, if the Space Marines get the come-from-behind victory, then throwing a bone to the 'nid players would be seen as a magnanimous gesture by pretty much everyone.

Oh, I'm pretty sure people would still complain. To a substantial (or at least loud) subset of hobbyists, complaining about the hobby is the hobby.

That being said, I do think it was a rather short time to actually play a game. But ofc in the old days I'd have played a game the same day I got the box, so maybe it's my grown-up schedule messing with my expectations.

44 minutes ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

This being Bolter and Chainsword can we not all agree we want to the Marines first?

You'd think so but even as a primarily Marines collector I'm more interested in the Nids right now. Even if an unexpected Marine unit or character turns up we've probably got a half decent idea of what they'll look like; Terminators will look like Terminators, jump Intercessors will look like Intercessors with jump packs, etc. With Tyranids there's a bigger opportunity for something different and really surprising. Take the Death Leaper revealed earlier, not everyone was sold on the flesh cape but it was unique and unexpected, that's exciting.

I'd love to be surprised by the Marine reveals though.

24 minutes ago, CL_Mission said:

You'd think so but even as a primarily Marines collector I'm more interested in the Nids right now. Even if an unexpected Marine unit or character turns up we've probably got a half decent idea of what they'll look like; Terminators will look like Terminators, jump Intercessors will look like Intercessors with jump packs, etc. With Tyranids there's a bigger opportunity for something different and really surprising. Take the Death Leaper revealed earlier, not everyone was sold on the flesh cape but it was unique and unexpected, that's exciting.

I'd love to be surprised by the Marine reveals though.

That’s pretty much exactly how I feel. I don’t really expect to be surprised or wowed by the marines, but I’d be happy to be proven wrong :)

The tyranids are probably going to be amazing and or surprising, so those are the ones I’d like to see (and win!), even though I’ve always loved marines.

22 minutes ago, DeadFingers said:

Speak for yourself, I want to see the Nids. They were my first army back in 3rd before the Eye of Terror Codex turned me to Chaos.

Agreed. I'm a power armour enjoyer as the next stan, but the new Nids have won this one sculpts wise. The Librarian and Phobos Lt are the most interesting Astartes models, the others are just ticking boxes. They just don't have the same impact. The termi's are fine, an updated kit is all we really wanted and GW delivered there. New jump troops for primaris will make more of an impression, whenever we get them vs the remainder of the SM in the Levi box. 

18 hours ago, Lemondish said:

Again i need to point to the fact that there is potentially hundreds worth of minis on the line here. (Sure, winning is like winning the lottery). The deadline was short. Even if we just remove the portion of players who don't care, there's a significant portion who couldn't make it on time, even if they did want. Should they just not be allowed to participate? If GW wanted a more genuine event they'd have extended the deadline and maybe scrapped the prize so more genuine game results (but fewer in number) would've been submitted

1 hour ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

This being Bolter and Chainsword can we not all agree we want to the Marines first?

Even if they remake old 'Nid sculpts, it'll interest me more than more Space Marines ever could :biggrin:

There's a good chance they won't just redo old sculpts and bring more new ones too

My assumption is them keeping it secret is a ploy to get more people to watch the 'Nid one then reveal the SM one another time

1 hour ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Again i need to point to the fact that there is potentially hundreds worth of minis on the line here. (Sure, winning is like winning the lottery). The deadline was short. Even if we just remove the portion of players who don't care, there's a significant portion who couldn't make it on time, even if they did want. Should they just not be allowed to participate? If GW wanted a more genuine event they'd have extended the deadline and maybe scrapped the prize so more genuine game results (but fewer in number) would've been submitted

My post was deleted, but there has been Alternate Methods of Entry for this since day 1.

If you cared about the raffle part of it, you would enter from that direction.

4 minutes ago, Sky Potato said:

Hardly a realistic expectation when you have the necessary code though is it?

Write a minimum 150 word essay or enter your code and click a button.

The poster in question was complaining that they weren't given enough time to enter the contest.

There's no need for time when you can write 150 words about how great space marines are.

If you think 150 words are an essay, I don't know what to tell you.  To state it on a MESSAGE BOARD is even funnier.

Why should anyone have to write an essay when they already have the other means of entry though?

Still an essay even if it is 150 words long - the terms and conditions literally call it an essay. Sorry if some of us aren't as excited to be writing essays as you are.

I'll admit I do see the irony about complaining about it on a message board though.

5 hours ago, Antarius said:

Oh, I'm pretty sure people would still complain. To a substantial (or at least loud) subset of hobbyists, complaining about the hobby is the hobby.

Is complaining about people complaining about the hobby, not in itself complaining about the hobby?  

Note this is not a complaint :sweat:

One of the comments is right around 2/3 the length of the submission requirement on its own. So if you have time for a forum, you have time to write it.

It's simply a formality to make it more difficult to spam entries that way.

Edit: That said, I have no opinion on what people scanned their code and did or anything else of the sort. Of course they were going to do that. I also just think that comments 70-100 words in length complaining that 150 is too much is a little bit ironic.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

42 minutes ago, DemonGSides said:

My post was deleted, but there has been Alternate Methods of Entry for this since day 1.

If you cared about the raffle part of it, you would enter from that direction.

Only true if you know about the alternate entry method. Yes its listed in the fine print on the terms and services and has been mentioned at least once in their articles, but I assure you a lot of people will have missed it still.

3 hours ago, Sky Potato said:

Why should anyone have to write an essay when they already have the other means of entry though?

Still an essay even if it is 150 words long - the terms and conditions literally call it an essay. Sorry if some of us aren't as excited to be writing essays as you are.

I'll admit I do see the irony about complaining about it on a message board though.

The entire proposition was that someone wanted to enter the contest and did not have enough time/motivation/ability/product to do so with the Leviathan box.  I understand you're not reading what other people are writing, but that doesn't automatically make you correct.

68 words to complain about 150 words.  Yikes.

3 hours ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Only true if you know about the alternate entry method. Yes its listed in the fine print on the terms and services and has been mentioned at least once in their articles, but I assure you a lot of people will have missed it still.

Ignorance is not a defense.  Sorry.  This isn't anyone's first contest, and legally, there has to be a way to enter a contest without paying any money as an alternate means of entry.

2 minutes ago, DemonGSides said:

Ignorance is not a defense.  Sorry.  This isn't anyone's first contest, and legally, there has to be a way to enter a contest without paying any money as an alternate means of entry.

Defense? You seem to be reading me wrong here. First off, it's a matter of fact. There's a lot of people who will not enter the raffle on account of not knowing they could've even without buying leviathan. I'm not making any normative statements about this. They exist. A lot of people will think the only way to enter will be to "play a game" and report who won, and among them, a bunch will shorthand it to stating a winner.

Also it will be someone's first contest. A lot of someones. Maybe not anyone on here. But out there, certainly.

3 hours ago, Sky Potato said:

This response is almost 50% of the required "essay" acting like it's somehow onerous is frankly laughable.

You could have written 81 more words and entered.

Rik