Space Wolves Index

Valerian
Go to solution Solved by TiguriusX,

10 minutes ago, Wraithwing said:

And we've lost the Axe and Bolt Carbine combo on the Primaris LT. 

Which invalidates the main HQ model in our current Combat patrol box... 

:cuss:GW?

On a slightly happier note Canis' Apex predator ability looks nice, if only TWC had a full suite of weapons to take to accompany him into the fray with

Edited by Starlight_Wolf

My prediction from awhile ago that Wulfen hammers could still be strength 10 was horribly, laughably bad. Worst take of the year.

The design team thought Wulfen should fall into similar attack profile to vanguard vets. Interestingly, it looks like we can still take vanguard vets with jump packs.

The unit restrictions look like they only apply for our bespoke detachment. 

Yup looks like biologis is in, which is nice because it is a wolf priest role so it does fit. Jump pack wolf guard are now Vanguard vets, which is fine I guess as there is no serious difference between them. 

Real mad about wulfen, hoping its a typo. Also hoping wolf scout wounds are a typo as they actually look good as a throwaway unit with a meltagun if reasonably costed.

Sternguard are also on so that mighty combo is spicy and available. 

Stuff I noticed that I haven't seen brought up yet:

-Grey hunters min at 5 so are a go for Razorbacks, unlike Tactical Marines. 

-They did wolf guard pack leaders in about the smoothest way possible which is nice, and can still put the cyclone missile launcher in long fangs so that's nice.

-stormfang dispersed has torrent, that looks pretty sweet. Might be playable depending on points.

-Grimnar on foot is likely in my early lists as he looks pretty worthwhile i just hope he's not a million points.

I'm really annoyed they keyed strats of completing Sagas and not using them to help complete Sagas. It basically makes me think Gladius is about the only way to go, which bums me out. Hoping the codex is next summer and will fix all the stupid. 

54 minutes ago, Valerian said:

No restrictions if we use Space Wolves with Gladius Task Force?

As I read it the bespoke detachment is what has the unit restrictions. If you’re playing gladius there’s not unit restrictions. I don’t know how the reverse translates in using our bespoke units in a gladius detachment. I don’t see a rule in either index marines/wolves with restrictions that you can’t take “space wolves” units in a gladius. You just can’t mix chapters

edit: so go crazy using an apothecary with your space wolves in gladius. I won’t have the expectation that we can use gladius whenever we get our codex

Edited by Wolf Guard Dan

29 minutes ago, Rune Priest Jbickb said:

Yup looks like biologis is in, which is nice because it is a wolf priest role so it does fit. the stupid. 

From what I remember of the Leviathan reveal Q and A Wolves don't get the Biologis (will need to find that to clarify that I've not made it up), so looks like a positive screw up from GW which is a nice change given the way all our weapon options got squashed.

Unless you mean outside of the Wolf detachment in which case, ignore me, I'm still taking in the hammering we've received from the nerf bat, which I find odd given we were a mid tier army last edition, so really didn't need such a hard 'correction' we've received off the back of this...

Edited by Starlight_Wolf

Njal + terminator brick may be a combo that works

Cant be shot outside 12"

*nvm i mixed up keywords

stealth just grants cover i was told

dig in on an objective and stay alive

Edited by TiguriusX

1 hour ago, Wraithwing said:

We're supposed to take Vanguard Vets now to represent Wolf Guard with Jump Packs. 

And we've lost the Axe and Bolt Carbine combo on the Primaris LT. 

No we haven't it just looks different because all the Bolt rifle variations got merged together. Now it is a primaris Lt with Master-crafted Bolt rifle and Master-crafted Power weapon. All it loses is assault and a pip of AP.

27 minutes ago, Starlight_Wolf said:

From what I remember of the Leviathan reveal Q and A Wolves don't get the Biologis (will need to find that to clarify that I've not made it up), so looks like a positive screw up from GW which is a nice change given the way all our weapon options got squashed.

Unless you mean outside of the Wolf detachment in which case, ignore me, I'm still taking in the hammering we've received from the nerf bat, which I find odd given we were a mid tier army last edition, so really didn't need such a hard 'correction' we've received off the back of this...

Well the detachment clearly states what we cannot take and tge biologis is not listed so either a whoops from gw or we get access

15 minutes ago, TiguriusX said:

Njal + terminator brick may be a combo that works

Cant be shot outside 12"

*nvm i mixed up keywords

stealth just grants cover i was told

dig in on an objective and stay alive

Other option

Death wolf + wgbl on tw+ massed t wolves = massed dev wounds when charging.

Other than that. Shrugs

Just noted the Guerilla tactics on the scouts, being able to go back in reserve if out of 6' from any enemy models, though it is until the end of the opponent's turn :/ 

(also just noted this is also one regular scouts, so not Wolf exclusive *sigh*)

Maybe bring a Land Speeder Storm to get them places faster, and as it has firing deck 6 (iirc) allows for pot shots from unexpected angles. Shame they don't have Melta Bombs, but I'm guessing that's an ability/rule as opposed to equipment now.

Also noting HoM lack the ignore vertical movement and deep strike tricks regular reivers get, guessing that's due to combination of the Morkai's Howl ability?

16 minutes ago, Rune Priest Jbickb said:

Well the detachment clearly states what we cannot take and tge biologis is not listed so either a whoops from gw or we get access

Just checked over it and they are different key words so yeah he does appear to be an option, makes you wonder did GW have anyone check the indexes before releasing them at all?

3 minutes ago, tetsuhau said:

Speaking of stuff they didn't catch. Wolf guards are shown holding a thunderhammer and power swords, but don't have options for either. There's gotta be changes incoming. 

Not necessarily, it looks like heirloom weapons are all of these things now. Same on Vanguard vets and thunder cav. I doubt they made that mistake over and over. I understood power weapond becoming one thing but to lump in hammers and power fists is really crazy.

1 minute ago, TiguriusX said:

Looks like BGV is the go to melee choice

Just add judiciars and Ragnar

Our stormfang/stormwolf may be serviceable to transport them if points are low enough

Pretty sure you can only do Judiciar or Ragnar unless I missed a rule somewhere. 

6 minutes ago, Rune Priest Jbickb said:

Not necessarily, it looks like heirloom weapons are all of these things now. Same on Vanguard vets and thunder cav. I doubt they made that mistake over and over. I understood power weapond becoming one thing but to lump in hammers and power fists is really crazy.

It's better for my sanity if I say this is all an error and will be fixed when we get a book though lol

Edited by tetsuhau

4 hours ago, Karhedron said:

And he can lead both Firstborn and Primaris units which is pretty nifty.

Yea, Ragnar + Bladeguard look potent to me. Advance and Charge is no joke and the army typically struggled a bit with speed in the early going without leaning into inherent fast units. 

Also I honestly really like the Hounds of Morkai now. I bought some a while ago but really struggled to find a reason to put them in. I really like what they did here with them. (Assuming they remain cheap).

I know a lot of people are down on units like TWC, but I think a lot of specialized units for many armies took a hit. The Hammer is down to 2 damage, and if you're charging with the TWC, you're getting 2 damage on all attacks (including teeth and claws).  TWC at T6, using 4++ invlun shields, moving 10" a turn and essentially having a psuedo 7 Thunderhammer attacks look pretty darn decent to me. They have a decent OC (I think most termies are 1), yet they move fast and will match up well against a lot of things. 

I do like that where most armies ended up with Shields that get you an extra wound, but with TWC and Wulfen they retained the 4+ invlun which I really liked. 

Edited by Prot

14 minutes ago, Rune Priest Jbickb said:

Pretty sure you can only do Judiciar or Ragnar unless I missed a rule somewhere. 

Yeah, I think you are right. Yu can do Ragnar and a Lt/WGBL but the Judiciar is on his own.

my gut reaction to thunderwolf lists is that attaching characters like in 5th edition is the way to go to get sneaky thunderhammers in to units.

thunderwolf are pretty clearly anti-infantry on their own, but you can attach a battle leaders and wolf lord onto the same unit of thunderwolf cavalry and make them really versatile with the leader's wargear choices.

Edited by Wispy

19 minutes ago, tetsuhau said:

It's better for my sanity if I say this is all an error and will be fixed when we get a book though lol

Nah, it’s intentional.  They did the same thing with my Grey Knights - all weapons, including Nemesis Daemon Hammers, were consolidated into a single Nemesis Force Weapon profile.  

They’ve done the same here with these heirloom weapons, and with some of the Chaos Space Marine units.

This is not going to be changed with a Codex. Just have to get the points right to make them still worthwhile.

30 minutes ago, Rune Priest Jbickb said:

He meant multiple units - one with Ragnar leading and the other two with Judiciars

Edited by Valerian

4 minutes ago, Wispy said:

my gut reaction to thunderwolf lists is that attaching characters like in 5th edition is the way to go to get sneaky thunderhammers in to units.

thunderwolf are pretty clearly anti-infantry on their own, but you can attach a battle leaders and wolf lord onto the same unit of thunderwolf cavalry and make them really versatile with the leader's wargear choices.

I agree.

But I also feel wolves don't have a identity ATM.

I see

Pack 1

1x death wolf (grants devastating)

1x wolf guard pl on tw: th, ss, wolf tail

5x tw

Pack 2

1x logan

1x canis (Grants sustained)

Or

1x wgpl tw: ss,th

5x tw

Bjorn Iron priest

Desolation squads

I know a lot of folks are bummed about our bespoke Detachment.  I think it’ll turn out to actually be playable.  Even so, I’m not sure that I really care all that much, since the Gladius Task Force is still an option and is obviously very strong.  None of our Characters’ abilities are tied to the Claws of Russ, so Ragnar, Logan, and Arjak are just as good, if not better in a Gladius.  

And we get Strernguard now, which are hella strong.  I can use my Haldor Icepelt model to give them Bolter Discipline, as either a generic Primaris Captain or Lieutenant.  If I want, I can just use my Intercessors as Sternguard- don’t even need to invest in new models. 

If points aren’t unreasonable, I can still use my Wulfen.

Edited by Valerian