Whole army as it stands now, 775 points:

IMG_3426.thumb.jpeg.8b6d3825a1fa272c0431ede7a34c626b.jpeg

Obvious next choice is what goes in the land raider… What I realised in some of my test games is that I need some decent firepower (another reason for adding the land raider in).

The direction I’m thinking I want to take now is that I would like to expand this force to have crossover with HH Raven Guard, so I was thinking the next unit could be a MKVI tactical support squad with plasma guns which I can use as hellblasters in 40K. The Age of Darkness models are quite a bit bigger than old marines so I’m thinking they could work well next to the primaris guys, maybe with slightly raised scenic bases? Over time this would mean I could expand the one army for both systems and kill two birds (no pun intended) with one stone.

Edit: I’m totally not just looking for excuses to buy AoD … :angel:

Edited by TheArtilleryman

• 1 month later...

Quick question in relation to the vanguard vets. I want to take advantage of the storm shield option but don’t want to completely remodel them. Do you think anyone would complain about me adding some small tilt plate shields like the grey knight terminator ones and saying they represent storm shields?

5 minutes ago, TheArtilleryman said:

Quick question in relation to the vanguard vets. I want to take advantage of the storm shield option but don’t want to completely remodel them. Do you think anyone would complain about me adding some small tilt plate shields like the grey knight terminator ones and saying they represent storm shields?

I don't think anyone would care so long as you told them what they counted as.
And if they do then they aren't worth playing against. :smile:

1 hour ago, AutumnEffect said:

I don't think anyone would care so long as you told them what they counted as.
And if they do then they aren't worth playing against. :smile:

Well put. I concur with AutumnEffect. I think that as long as you make it clear what is what, reasonable people shouldn't have a problem with proxies and counts-as. And by clear I mean: follow a certain pattern and try avoid mixing now-WYSWIG options too much (i.e. this guy modelled with wargear X has wargear Y but THIS guy modelled with wargear X uses wargear Z). I wanted to go into more detail here but I just realised that Van Vets don't have weapon options any more :tongue:.

The bottom line is this: don't remodel perfectly good painted minis, especially with GW's current approach of dramatically changing or even invalidating units. With finished models, I don't think it's worth the effort.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Brother Christopher said:

I wanted to go into more detail here but I just realised that Van Vets don't have weapon options any more

Yeah this is basically the thing. I did them with lightning claws because they are thematic but also lightning claws used to have the twin-linked rule and confer an extra attack, so there was a reason to take them.

Now with Vanguard Vets the options are basically storm shields or fancy pistols,  because the melee weapons are all the same. 

I was thinking a little tilt plate like this on the corner of each shoulder guard, painted with the Raven Guard symbol would be a nice easy option to add to represent the shield, without having to swap any arms or cut the minis up.

IMG_3699.thumb.jpeg.fb0db7d4ca4a158293cfa1847e87a79d.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Brother Christopher said:

The bottom line is this: don't remodel perfectly good painted minis

My problem is I like WYSIWYG … even if it doesn’t look exactly like it should, something to represent the wargear is important to me.

Edited by TheArtilleryman