Wormwoods' Blood Angel Successor Project - The Sin Eaters

The dreads are nice and all, BUT! 

I just love the techmarine! Honestly those have always been my favorite loyalist marine model. Futhermore, your color scheme juste fits perfectly on it, wich is awesome

I also was " Oh! for real? that's clever" when I red the lore for the silver cog, so it's clever enough the seems canon XD

Nice job as ever ^^

• 2 weeks later...

HEADTAKER OF THE 3rd - SIN EATERS 3rd COMPANY

image.jpeg.14829103518d4d115544d62b6e203015.jpeg

The current Headtaker of the 3rd Company.

Not all positions of note within the Sin Eaters are reserved for the Immortals. Each Company of the chapter includes a single Headtaker, a role with some similarities to the traditional Company Champion, and Indomitus-era Judiciar positions found in other chapters. The Headtaker, his identity officially blank for the duration of his time within the role, is a reasonably 'fresh' battle brother within his early, pre-immortal lives who has displayed sufficient skill in close combat and self-control to merit induction into the Reclusium. Armed with a relic blade from the company armoury, and power armour overtuned for speed and dexterity the Headtaker is charged with quite literal decapitation strikes on enemy officers, returning the claimed heads to his brothers so that intel can be... Extracted. 

image.png.02babf12bdd80fe9d3a25cd6edbbc02d.png

The Headtaker wears minimal personal heraldry, like all of the Reclusium. Markings instead represent the role.

The highly taxing, and dangerous role of the Headtaker often burns through the body of the astartes, leading to an eventual break-down requiring either extensive mechanical augmentation or an early attempt at Immortality, coaxed through the rituals maintained by the Reclusium to ensure their own rebirth. The modified power armour that allows the Headtaker to move with speed beyond that of even his fellow transhumans comes with a hefty cost, but one the Sin Eaters are uniquely willing and able to pay. 

image.png.d49acdb1411caa256171c43709844294.png

-

Behold, another custom character model! I actually already have most of a Judiciar in my army, my Librarian being made from one, but at some point I lost that lovely executioner sword! Oh well. The blade from the Leviathan Terminator Captain is huge enough. He's otherwise built from all sorts of Leviathan and non-Leviathan bits, including a bladeguard arm, terminator librarian hand, and Phobos Lt head. I'm quite happy with how he came together! The pose could be eeeeever so slightly tweaked, but it's a bit late for that now. 

Regardless, time for some FIGHTS FIRST shenanigans with the Bladeguard, of which I currently have another three cooking. Just waiting on a suitable body or... Multiple. 

@YannTheMad Thanks, I've really enjoyed doing custom marine characters! I mean, clearly. The current sculpts for them are lovely, but very... Monopose. At this point I've made one of just about everything from bits and bobs, barring an actual captain, or anything in Gravis. We'll see if I ever add any eggboys to this army. I should do a character group photo.

• 3 weeks later...

TRANSMISSIONS FROM THE 4th TYRANIC WAR

image.thumb.png.20eca7f5311df494c1ffe04a05c60b5d.png

I'm told that Detachments other than Firestorm exist, but have yet to be convinced.

GAME 6 - SPAWNING GROUNDS

Another match against Kieran's Hive Frost Bjorn, swollen to 1,250 points worth of nasty, and LARGE beasties. Much like last time, it seems I have trouble with some of the big monsters. Or the medium monsters. Or the small ones, honestly, I came out of this game with one model left, and a grand total of 'a dead hive guard, some gaunts who got respawned, and a few wounds split between the big nids' for the trouble. Oh well. That Tyranofex has proven to by a massive thorn (or biological tank-buster) in my side, having now killed off 3 dreadnoughts almost single-handedly. Rupture Cannons! They're good! Probably would have gone a little better for me if either dread had been able to land more than a single hit on it over 2-3 turns worth of missile AND lascannon shots. 

I'm SO good at rolling dice. 

image.png.ff6a241b0e62795caf53c7c761c95df0.png

Now with some delightful snow bases!

image.png.dd76e951424139aea89f29cfbf4f8e82.png

This match convinced me not to bother teleporting my terminators in. An extra turn of shooting from them may have helped things a little.

This Crusade Day was the first deployment of a few of my newer models. My techmarine, second dread, Judiciar. None of them achieved much in game 6, but it was nice to get them on the board for the inevitable bout of 'new model dies horribly in their first match' syndrome. 

image.png.e34a04167a8f15fe470ef533053d1b9f.png

Once I learn how to take a decent picture it's over for you lot.

48 minutes ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

Have you considered getting your dice exorcised? :tongue:

I need a Firstborn Chaplain and a Primaris Chaplain!

It's fine. Not too invested in winning games. 

I really like your project. Your painting style, which appears to heavily rely on drybrushing, works really well. The secondary colours and extensive use of chequered patterns really help the models and give make the entire paint scheme an additional 'wow factor' (hell, it makes me want to reconsider the more uniform style I plan for my Primaris project).

The conversions and lore bits are the chef's kiss. The alternate take on the Judiciar is great - the most of the model with the Cutodes' (?) sword is well-executed. The Techmarine and JP Chaplain are great, too

@Brother Christopher Hey, thanks, that means a lot! I'm pretty happy with them. The sword is actually from the Terminator Captain kit from Leviathan, of which I have... Several thanks to a few trades with friends. There's a reason we did a big Nid-v-Marines Crusade! 

20 minutes ago, Rusted Boltgun said:

Totally agree with the above. Always great to see your models, even if they aren't winning.

They have been a definite influence on my new Primaris marines. 

One can only hope you have better luck on the table. Thanks, I appreciate that. 

image.png.f7abd7c6490a32210da2901a113fe243.png

Death from above!

GAME 7 - THE GATHERING SHROUD

The second game of the day was against Mike's ever-sneaky Hive Basilisk, bolstered with a pair of whatever those big flying Nid bombers are called! This one went more in my favour, proving to be my second victory of the Crusade (I would say 'so far' but...), but was also a real bloodbath. By the end of Round 1 we had each lost around 500 points worth of our 1,250 point armies, which is a sign that A: We're reasonably well-matched when it comes to damage output and unit counters, and B: missions played with the option to deploy close even before pre-game movements are messy as hell!

image.png.9fc7ccc5840802277d10a6e4ff2a573e.png

Feeling blue.

As is often the case with close games - and this one was certainly closer than match 6 - I had an absolute blast. Mike's army is built for character-hunting, and I had brought 6 of them, none of which survived the game, which we called on turn 3, when I had 3 units, all on objectives and he had 2, both on objectives. Kind of a done thing at that point. The dreads finally put some work in, mostly in shooting down the bomber-nids, and in one case stomping a Lictor to death, likely revenge for said Lictor having gone through my bladeguard alongside all those gribbly genestealers. 

image.png.a5dcb2f31b45fd4c41779cb522cfb955.png

Up close and EXTREMELY personal.

Fights First seems pretty useful, though it's a shame Headtaker only got to enjoy his Broodlord-killing extra attack for a turn before getting cut down himself. All-in-all a lovely time, even if it proved to be another Crusade Game with one Marine victory to two Nid victories. Don't think we're getting out of this Crusade alive, lads. On that, we're also moving to speed things up a bit, jumping to 1,500 for next Crusade Day, and ramping to the full 2,000 ASAP. Marine-v-Nids is fun and all, but we crave a little variance, don't we? 

I'm working on something special for that 1,500 game. Not my heaviest conversion, but he's coming together. 

image.png.85ac65ba8876fc9cf5266e8233802702.png

CAPTAIN COMINIUS - SIN EATERS 3rd COMPANY

image.png.fa267c5d9306e76526b7acd85611a4ae.png

Captain Cominius, clad in Champion's Regalia, and armed with his customised Power Blade and Bolt Rifle.

Command of the Sin Eaters battle-line companies falls to those members of the Immortals who have proven themselves suitable for the position both in skill and temperament. While the finest warriors of the 1st often remain there, dedicating themselves to perfection in their chosen field of combat over multiple lifetimes, those that have retained their flexibility and command acumen are instead charged with leading the still-mortal brothers of the Chapter. Each Captain - a veteran of centuries of conflict - is a skilled combatant, true, but their tactical command is what best serves the Chapter in war.

image.png.21fcf9e268a433c26084d53ca4f8e083.png

As is not uncommon for the command or spiritual roles within the Chapter Captains often wear minimal personal heraldry, instead wearing marks of their Company foremost.

Captain Cominius has led the 3rd Company for a little over 300 years, with only brief periods of convalescence between bodies. Currently, the 3rd Company is engaged in the 4th Tyranic War alongside a large portion of 1st. While Captain Cominius retains ultimate command, the presence of Reclusiarch Hanuman within the Strikeforce has seen some... Tension among the upper echelons, as is not uncommon when high-ranking members of a Chapter Reclusium or Librarium take the field alongside Company command. 

image.png.ebabe778fb5a7b984d232a88eae75101.png

Despite the cult practices of the Sin Eaters, bionics are not uncommon. Sub-fatal injuries must still be repaired, even if this leads to difficulties in subsequent incarnations.

-

Well, he came together quickly! Really just a kitbash of the 9th ed Bladeguard Captain, Company Heroes Captain, and a head from a Phobos Captain, but I think it works well enough. Making an industrial version of the tactical rock took the most fiddling to make sure the feet would sit comfortably. 

I'm sure this is a poor weapon choice for a Captain in 10th, but that's fine. He'll be hanging out with the Sterguard for a while before I finish the rest of the Company Heroes box, so I wanted him to be able to shoot alongside them. It also left me some bits I can use elsewhere, like that power fist! That's probably going to end up on my next Jump Squad... Unless I take long enough that we find out what goes in the inevitable new Death Company. 

Up next: Probably more Tau, before I do those Company Heroes! As a reminder, I'm currently doing a second project over in the Blog side of the website, which has been more focused on those camo-clad xenoshttps://bolterandchainsword.com/blogs/blog/78-wormwoods-various-projects/

1 hour ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

He looks great - I really like the checker-boarding and mud on the cloak :thumbsup:

The nice thing about mud is that it can cover up where the freehanding is a little loose.

30 minutes ago, Rusted Boltgun said:

Love him, particularly the beard and the scabbard. 

Please ignore that the extra-large blade, and spiked ricasso couldn't fit in it at all, it's fine. Decorative, even. 

51 minutes ago, Brother Captain Vakarian said:

I love your kitbash/conversion of Captain Cominius! I've been considering doing something very similar to make a bolter-armed version of my captain. Your work has given me some good inspiration. And I love the worn, industrial look you've achieved on your Sin Eaters. Keep it up!

Thanks! Always in favour of more kitbashing, so get to it!

Been forever since I played anything but killteam.

Your captain looks amazing.

As always, I love your freehand heraldry work.

The weathering on the cap is a nice touch and really add to the overall model.

Good work as always ^^

• 3 weeks later...

image.png.8ab24f92d2f6f50ecf5f8f596d106431.png

Swarming from the ruins.

GAME 8 - ROTTING BIOMASS

Another close, knock-down brawl with Typhon, and the first match to include the recently completed Captain Cominius. The first draw of the crusade (well, that I've been involved in, not sure if anyone else had fallen into one yet) was the result of us both camping our arses on objectives and trading body blows. Andrew has been running the swarm-focused option, the name of which I simply CANNOT remember, but it's proven to be effective and fun! Gives me something to shoot, anyway. 

image.png.d86f109ff4aef0675a8b2bddeb04df3d.png

Endless waves of claws.

I popped Eradicate the Swarm about a dozen times, which was nice... But did lead to me finding out something. I've not been running the one, correct agenda for a Space Marine Crusade: Know No Fear. Having used it extensively back in 9th, I misread it in 10th, and thought it wouldn't apply to destroyed squads. Apparently, it does!

I've left so, SO much XP on the floor. Oh well. 

image.png.3c92975c1e02756fd36fe499964634ee.png

"This is fine."

9 hours ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

Although it does look like your Chaplain has found a target-rich environment :tongue: 

Chaplain Morgrain has 5 attacks in close combat.

There were significantly more than 5 gaunts. 

image.png.4ecedabc4fa85b2a0df55b35ddfbea97.png

Cresting the ridge.

GAME 9 - SECURE THE TUNNELS

Game two of the day was not quite as evenly matched, as Kieran's Hive Frostbjorn continue to be a pretty hard counter for me. Still, was a solid match, back-and-forth in the beginning until my eventual trouncing. Unlike our last game, I was actually able to score some decent kills, which was nice, until the Rupture Cannon finished its wicked work taking care of all my dreads and other larger targets. 

image.png.02d3d793af56db914703de7b79b3ed26.png

There more where those came from.

Captain Cominius' second outing was a rough one, after his unit was cleared out by massed fire, and him and the apothecary swarmed and devoured. So it goes. At least he looked good!

image.png.aaf5275d1ef015c060d031ef0a8766c5.png

Numbers not in my favour.

We're moving into the endgame of the Crusade now. Tired of marines v nids, we're going to fast forward towards the final 2,000 point games. Means I should probably get another 300 points worth of lads painted!