— Recreating A Vision — A Dark Angels 30k adventure.

Welcome to the start of a project I’ve been brewing for the past 3 years in the back of my mind. This project is an attempt to bring the Visage of the Visions of Heresy 1st Legion to the tabletop.

IMG_3849.thumb.jpeg.8a59ee10f862db07ca3ea1bbb1bdb8b0.jpegIMG_4179.thumb.jpeg.0891de2a36d2e70160b5335200f6e83a.jpegIMG_4178.thumb.jpeg.2d989e10a96c17c5aaa785fe17351cc8.jpeg

Above is my first proof of concept images, a decade ago when I first joined the Bolter and Chainsword I was an avid Horus Heresy Fan and was always rushing any ideas I had without taking time to really indulge my creativity, this time after a massive Hiatus I decided to look back on my fondest memories of the hobby and bring something from my childhood into the community, my beloved First Legion and Sons of the Lion.

I welcome you to join me on this adventure of recreating a beloved army and concept of the angels of Death and the emperors first. We will be diving into Abrahamic lore and naming conventions and going to be setting many rules for the project in order to expand my potential and force me to learn new skills.

Till the next update…

IMG_4497.thumb.jpeg.162b608ab0554638d4b97165ade4c2c6.jpeg

They call us his angels of death,

If it wasn’t for his coming we would have been the kings of men.

Samyaza , Praetor of the 127th Expedition reclamation Fleet, order of the Hexagramatron

IMG_4500.thumb.jpeg.9aa29e14527d2abe1a2909908616df80.jpeg

If a soul (if such a thing exists mind you) reincarnates, such a soul would have taken thousands of lifetimes to reincarnate and refine its craft to even reach the same level of skill as our Brother.

Azazyel , Librarian of the 127th reclamation Fleet, Keeper of the Grey Keys, Master of the Sebaot of Akkard.

IMG_4495.thumb.jpeg.f457ab08e6629b638a6cdc4e9ccd0813.jpeg

++—0.00100100110.01–++ <PictCapt Cataphactrii Terminator Squad Penemsue, Ist Legio Astartes 127th Rec Fleet, Recovered from archives of the Rock circa M33> Status Unknown > Fealty Designation Undiscovered > Questionable Records suggest Fallen> ++—0.00100100110.01-++

Edited by GhostMalone
Presentation

On 7/11/2023 at 11:25 PM, Firedrake Cordova said:

Sounds like an interesting project, and looks like you're off to a good start! :smile: 

Thanks brother, it’s taken a while to find my feet but I’m back into it and just slowly chipping around at my first core 5000 points.

On 7/12/2023 at 1:14 AM, Naryn said:

Really excited to see where this goes!

Hopefully you won’t have to wait too long I have a fair bit in the finished stage I just need to get back into writing, formatting and aesthetics.

On 7/12/2023 at 9:39 AM, Baeltor said:

I like the terminators. They look better than the usual cataphracti. Modded?

Every Model in this army will have some form of Concersion to try tie it all into a cohesive Narrative (named characters/units exempt) I want to really capture the age and reaper of death motif with this army and make it look as close to the visions of heresy artwork as possible.

On 7/12/2023 at 5:25 PM, Pearson73 said:

Those Terminators look excellent, really nice use of parts!

the Sgts I’m working on for both core squads most likely will be swapped out at a later date not a fan of the monopose standing stance so when I figure out what I can and can’t achieve with the plastic kits I’ll hopefully have more dynamic looking models.

I truly have enjoyed the feedback and still have a fairbit of tidying up with seems and stuff which I’ll be doing in between posts, all the trimming filing drilling etc will be done as this is a slow burn project and making sure I really do reach my potential.

I’ve set out a list of rules for this project;

•Going to take my time and pace, I always rush to get a final product which causes burnout and drains my creative battery because I settle for less then I intended with my initial Visualisation of the project.

•Looking to ensure every model has some form of conversion/individuality to add character, each piece will be part of a cohesive narrative while.

•Tilt shields are a must on every infantry unit.

•Each stage of the project must be decided/ completed prior to further purchases.

•Build phase and basing before we paint.

•Units must have a dedicated transport (not necessarily immediately but will be included in second stage).

•No primaris 40k bits unless heavily converted and show no sign of newer mks of armour.

•Legion specific units have to be used at least once during the lifespan of the project (second stage onwards) must include one unit ie: deathwing.

•Every time I try a new technique (Sculpting, painting, basing, posing) I am required to detail every individual step for the process and my thoughts during the process regardless if I fail or suceed, in order to reference back and gauge growth over the lifespan of the project.

•Each Stage has to contain a New HQ Choice.

but yeah big ramble just wanting to get it written out somewhere to reference, so if you read all this here’s your prize;

IMG_4484.thumb.jpeg.c93f90529f5f8a7ef4845579862e9749.jpeg
IMG_4485.thumb.jpeg.988fe29ad11dc5f538abc1af76f3c10c.jpeg

Spoiler

IMG_4502.thumb.jpeg.3ccb42cbafe6c6f2ae2a313479069933.jpeg

Next Up The start of the Deathstar

To be one of the First isn’t an honour as some of our Cousins would have you think; it is an Obligation, a responsibility to ensure that you maintain the ideals that Humanity wishes to exemplify as we retake the stars in the name of Our Gene Sire and his Lord Liege.

Humanities Superiority, its Ingenuity and its morality, to spread the Imperial Truth and reunite our race whilst we are being used as Humanities shield and sword against the horrors of a wild galaxy are hunted to extinction.

Some of my brothers in the Legion refer to the Lion as our father but do not be mistaken, we are cast in his image and as such we see much of ourselves within him as he does us within himself.

And that right there is truly the most terrifying thing, the decisions we may enact in order to win a conflict with no question of the morality of our methods and ways, the enjoyment we take in the hunt against the Xenos or even that of the metaphysical manipulations of the universe. When these feelings come to the surface level of my consciousness I have to ask myself if our father feels this at his core, and if he does I can’t imagine lies he must tell himself to hide the monster that resides underneath.

For every hunt ends in a kill, and sometimes that kill isn’t easy or clean, we only present it as a victory because any less would be unbecoming of humanities first, it’s Paragons, it’s Dark Angels.

IMG_4506.thumb.jpeg.7899df3418e938ee6d3016c985015a41.jpeg

++—Recovered Pict of Brother Samyaza Knight of the Order of the Dark Throne and Leader of the  127th reclamation Fleet, prior to the return to Aldurukh M31. Last known image prior to the sundering of Caliban.—++

IMG_4503.thumb.jpeg.e5404fbaa305bbce674a1594d33afe6d.jpeg

IMG_4505.thumb.jpeg.85bbee31c5efb0b9a77329854b548f27.jpeg

Stormwing Tactical Squad led by Sgt Satanail attached to the 127th Rec Fleet during the the Fall of Aldurukh

IMG_4494.thumb.jpeg.6d17f9170efd50a09907f24ef96c978f.jpeg

Edited by GhostMalone

You've done an excellent job converting the Praetor, he looks every inch the knight commander of the First. Digging the background too, exploring the darker, unflinching side of the legion. On that note, the hooded tank commander certainly looks sinister. 

On 7/18/2023 at 8:00 PM, Firedrake Cordova said:

I've been really enjoying this series of posts so far - I really like the idea, the modelling is great, and the background is a nice bonus!

I honestly think it will be a very special project once it's completed :biggrin:

I’ve been taking my time trying to get the theme just right, I don’t want to just straight up be like Ayo these are knights in space, I wanted to make them seem like hunters, stalking the forests and bringing death to their foes in whatever manner suits, no nobility just straight up efficiency.

1 hour ago, Torbenos said:

As with the rest I do enjoy the strong theme you've managed to evoke with the miniatures. They form a coherent whole that's much more monastic than your usual marines. I in particular like how ornate your terminators are.

appreciate that man, I’ve even gone back to the tacticals and added some more pieces, should have another decent sized update this week, just waiting on some Forgeworld Bitz to arrive and then we’re laughing.

Hunting, some people consider it integral to our survival if this is true then what is more integral than the survival of your species? So remember what we do isn’t wage war against the enemies of humanity…. We go to hunt them, any method that is necessary, be it bait, siege, stalking or annihilation.

We are the First Hunters of Humanity, we are Death Incarnate the reaper of humanities past given form by the emperors gene cults.

- Excerpt from the writings of Aspien, Ironwing Sgt of the 127th reclamation Fleet.

IMG_4581.thumb.jpeg.78872bbd96a593202154e93ad48c6317.jpeg

Have you ever smelt the ionisation of the air around you when your Quarry has been reduced to naught but ash? It has a metallic tang about it and it’s something you’ll get used to.

- Dreadwing Support Squad Sgt Gremory Addressing the Noviates from Aldurukh prior to the Muster of Davio II.

IMG_4577.thumb.jpeg.c8a0bde89b0202fddb34b5fb5600de2b.jpeg

Evil is an abstract! It's a human construct. But true to his irresponsible nature, Man won't own up to being the engineer of evil, so he blames his dark deeds on my ilk. But his selfishness is limitless, and it's not enough for him to shadow his own existence. He turned Hell into a suffering Pit - fire, wailing, darkness - the kind of place anyone would do anything to get out of. And why? Because he lacks the ability to forgive himself. It is beyond your abilities to simply make recompense for and regret the sins you commit. No - you choose rather to create a psychodrama and dwell in a foundless belief that your God could never forgive your 'grievous offenses'. So you bring your guilt and inner-decay with you to Hell - where the horrid imaginations of so many gluttons-for-punishment give birth to the sickness that has infected the abyss since the first one of your kind arrived there, begging to be 'punished'. And in doing so, they've transformed the cold and solitude to pain and misery. I've spent eons privy to the flames, inhaling the decay, hearing the wail of the damned. I know what effect such horrors have on the delicate psyche of an angelic being. Would you like to glimpse pain eternal? Look...

IMG_4501.thumb.jpeg.071100ca835325c06a0b284f1624a73a.jpeg

Edited by GhostMalone
Formatting

So more updates incoming, just waiting on Australia Post to bring in the goods!

but in the meantime starting to get the display case up and start getting the army display ready.

273D1682-D375-425C-B3CF-B159044E4838.thumb.jpeg.8da6487d9a53d76c31dca623bd9ad5a9.jpeg

been trialling some schemes for painting but haven’t yet decided on how I want to progress.

sneaky little previews of what’s to come as well ;)