Unit of the week (10th edition index tactica) : Chosen

Cpt.Danjou

Chosen have been my best unit since our 9th Edition Codex came out. I love them!  And now they are even better in 10th with innate advance and charge, Dark Pacts, etc. I've found 2 fists, 8 Accursed Weapons, and an icon work best for me with various plasma pistols and combi-weapons sprinkled in.

I've tried giving them the Mark of  Tzeench for the healing strat and sustained shots. But I'm so starved for CP that I rarely use the healing strat. And their shooting, even with combi-weapons, has been lackluster for me. So now I give 'em Slaanesh or Khorne and call it a day. 

I use a combination of Lord, Exalted Champion, and ten Chosen -- all Khorne-marked -- in a Land Raider.

First of all, their shooting is deceptively powerful.  With the Exalted, the squad as a whole carries five combi-weapons and the Exalted improves their hit rolls to a 3+.  If you're hitting infantry in rapid fire range, especially with an extra hit or two with your Sustained Dark Pact, it's going to leave a mark.  If your Lord has a hammer, the Exalted also moves his melee to-hit number back to 2+, which always a nice metric to have.  The Exalted again moves the Chosen accursed weapons to a 2+ as well, and since they're Khorne and you're wanting the Lethal Hits on Dark Pacts to get to the 5+ Critical trigger, you can actually go hunt vehicles that ordinarily all those accursed weapons would bounce off of.  They'll get saves of course, but between the Lord, Exalted, two power fists, and all the rest of those AWs (two sets of which should be twin-linked) they can pump out a LOT of hits in melee.

The Lord himself does of course contribute some melee power to the squad, but for me that's not his primary purpose.  Armor of Contempt for the loyalist scum is only 1 CP.  Our equivalent, Infernal Rites, is of this writing 2 CP.  In my games so far, toning down the AP of shooting attacks -- which tend to have higher AP values than most CCWs -- has been absolute critical on both sides of the table.  The Lord of Chaos ability to pop a strat for free, especially our most expensive one, is going to help keep these guys alive to keep delivering the War God's anger onto your enemies.

I like Infernal Rites on the Chosen in particular for a very good reason.  Most of our best stuff in the Index to date is daemonic, which means it has an invulnerable save.  Fiends and Possessed and Terminators and Obliterators and Venomcrawlers are all getting lots of table time and anything over AP2 is just wasted on them.  Hell, on the first turn you can deploy a ton of stuff around a Noctilith Crown (no more terrain-distance restrictions on fortifications!  Place it wherever you want in your DZ!) and now anything can have a 4+ Invulnerable save.  Chosen are a nice big hammer unit that does not have such a save however and will be moving up the board and away from a Crown's aura, so attaching the Lord and popping Infernal Rites for free helps to make up for that.  Additionally, they're 3W each so they're a little more durable than most other MEQ units, so upping that durability a slightly more just might be the edge that lets them really shake up the midfield.

I do like the idea of having chosen as a bodyguard for a chaos lord and his exalted champion. It's a big investment but has some great synergies.

If you're doing that I think a land raider also becomes important to get them into the fight with ASSAULT RAMP. 

I'm not greatly bothered about their ranged weapons personally, although I'd take a few plasma pistol to enhance melee. 

Edited by Verbal Underbelly

9 hours ago, Newbiticus said:

What would the preferred Mark be if a Master of Possession is joint Chosen?  I was also planning to use an Exalted Champ. 

Theoretically, the MoP gets the most out of Mark of Nurgle since a S6 Anti-Psyker 2+ Precision "gun" very much likes the extra hits.  It also helps the combi-weapons on the Chosen and Exalted Champion, and of course Dark Obscuration is slightly OP in the early game.

Alternatively, run them all as Undivided for melee that hits on 2s and re-rolls 1s for no CP cost.

I ran my aforementioned Chosen package tonight.  The MW spam from the combi-spam was good for cutting through orks with an Invul save (the Waaaagh turn), and they generate more than enough attacks in CC to just carve through most infantry.  They've only hit the table twice in this edition so far but I don't have much in the way of complaints so far.  I had a tournament on Tuesday so we'll see how they perform there.