Legions Imperialis & Epic hobby chat!

Pacific81

They're looking great, @Pacific81 – Night Lords at 6mm scale is a brave decision; but the fright masks and Legion icon have both come off beautifully. Nice work!

I've likewise got a test game coming up this Friday, so will be frantically painting over the next few evenings! 

On 1/21/2024 at 12:17 AM, SkimaskMohawk said:

So it's 820 of total points. Which is also depressing, because I had to base 75 models and that's like a full 40k army lol. I also know what you mean with the warhound; it feels like a huge amount of stuff on the table when you go just infantry and tanks. 

I feel your paint here, @SkimaskMohawk – after a couple of weeks of concentrating on the troops, it's quite daunting to realise you're just a fraction of the way through. I've rather made a rod for my own back by avoiding using the Contemptors, too, as they're one of the ways to make the infantry boxes go a lot further, points-wise.

Just now, apologist said:

Looking lovely – what’s your approach for the tracks, out of interest?

This is Vallejo Brown Engine Soot added onto the tracks. The tracks itself were painted previously like the rest of the hull:

1. Black Basecoat.

2. Stone Grey (drybrush)

3. Nuln Oil equivalent from Vallejo

4. Sky Grey (drybrush)

I’m just about finished with two Starter Boxes worth of Infantry and it’s just so… tedious. I’m almost done with the bases and all that’s left is gluing them all on and it feels like a relief until I realize that I still have another three boxes worth to do. I should have just stuck with Titanicus, lol

10 hours ago, DuskRaider said:

I’m just about finished with two Starter Boxes worth of Infantry and it’s just so… tedious. I’m almost done with the bases and all that’s left is gluing them all on and it feels like a relief until I realize that I still have another three boxes worth to do. I should have just stuck with Titanicus, lol

I've been surprised by how restful I find painting these models. I love Epic, but always found painting the models a struggle. The slightly larger size, combined with modern materials and techniques (Contrast, sprays, washes – not to mention being able to paint them off the bases thanks to the lack of the little individual base roundels) has vastly improved my experience.

Having said that, I absolutely hear the sense of dread of a big pile still to do. I've been trying to be disciplined and buy, build and paint before buying more. I think a pile of sprues at this point would put me off!

+++

In personal painting news, I based and primed some box Dreadnoughts from the Epic: 40,000 era last night. They're chunky little beasts. I think they're Tim Adcock sculpts (but happy to be corrected) and very characterful. It's interesting to compare the exaggeration on the older sculpts to the literal downsizing of the new. Both have their appeal.

Edited by apologist

I think a big part of my problem is that I’m not using Contrasts. I’m painting these as close as possible to my 28mm Death Guard paint scheme as I can. I wanted to make sure they matched my vehicles and with the Contrast paint I wouldn’t have been able to do that, at least with the green. It is what it is, in the end it’ll be worth it. It’s getting to the end that’s the problem. 

The XIVth pledge to the Warmaster’s Banner. 

These things are… difficult… to photograph. This is two Starter Boxes worth along with an Infantry box and Terminators I either bought individually or were given by friends. I have three more boxes worth of Infantry awaiting paint as well as a rather large armored company that I’m planning on tackling next. I need a break from the little guys. 

6FDO7YO.jpeg
2EJz60z.jpeg
p4lW3xn.jpeg
zZ8T7pY.jpeg
SOKPcRp.jpeg

QJbuxQG.jpeg
3e2cO8O.jpeg
70S3dKX.jpeg
Q3d3csv.jpeg
kRXZ0oI.jpeg
hJQAQYK.jpeg
s64tLTJ.jpeg

The downside of having all of these extra Terminators is that I don’t have enough bases for my Assault Marines so…

I still have to add transfers to a couple Banners including my Terminator Command Squad as well as the hulls of the Contemptors. 

Man, the poor quality of these photos is such a bummer. 

20 hours ago, DuskRaider said:

The XIVth pledge to the Warmaster’s Banner. 

QJbuxQG.jpeg

The downside of having all of these extra Terminators is that I don’t have enough bases for my Assault Marines so…

I still have to add transfers to a couple Banners including my Terminator Command Squad as well as the hulls of the Contemptors. 

Man, the poor quality of these photos is such a bummer. 

The terminators look incredible in those massed ranks. I really think having this many terminators is what the young people call a “flex”.

Edited by LameBeard

3 hours ago, LameBeard said:

The terminators look incredible in those massed ranks. I really think having this many terminators is what the young people call a “flex”.

Haha, I don’t know about that but I did say when this was first announced that I was going to do my best to emulate my old Pride of the Legion army and the only way to do that is a boatload of Terminators. I’ll be honest, I don’t even think I can legally field all of them at this point in time or if I do it will have to be spread out over a bunch of Formations. They do look pretty cool all together though. Just wish they had Spartans to cruise around in…

Hobby after DIY tasks... mini Terrain for mini Titans, Knights, Tanks and stuff.
$35 for tiles, $20 for glue, just need a bit of sand and paint... still got half the tiles left too. Super cheap, easy and fast.

Still have a bunch of real life stopping me painting the mini dudes that will fight on it, but nice to get hobby in.

20240130_170027.thumb.jpg.75f54c2e3bf3fe60f0b9015f5356eaae.jpg

4 hours ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

Hobby after DIY tasks... mini Terrain for mini Titans, Knights, Tanks and stuff.
$35 for tiles, $20 for glue, just need a bit of sand and paint... still got half the tiles left too. Super cheap, easy and fast.

Still have a bunch of real life stopping me painting the mini dudes that will fight on it, but nice to get hobby in.

20240130_170027.thumb.jpg.75f54c2e3bf3fe60f0b9015f5356eaae.jpg

Cor, Stobz – that's looking great already. Classic terrain work there, and I reckon it's going to look a treat when textured and painted.

I've got a pile of cork tiles myself that's been waiting patiently for inspiration, and I think this might be it ;) Any tips or suggestions for how you've worked up your pieces?

Infantry complete! Onto the tanks :)

IMG_1063.jpeg
Second Company Tactical Legionaries and a Dreadnought being led into the fires of battle on Armageddon by the courageous Captain Mir'San.

IMG_1062.jpeg
Integrated assault – Assault Marines arc over their comrades to engage the oncoming greenskin horde.

IMG_1058.jpeg

1 hour ago, vadersson said:

Hey gang,

finally getting to painting.  Do you folks feel my ultramarines need a second coat of contrast?  First time using contrast paints or painting on the sprue.

thanks,

Duncan

IMG_0110.jpeg

Which contrast are you using? And over what basecoat - Grey Seer?

21 hours ago, apologist said:

Cor, Stobz – that's looking great already. Classic terrain work there, and I reckon it's going to look a treat when textured and painted.

I've got a pile of cork tiles myself that's been waiting patiently for inspiration, and I think this might be it ;) Any tips or suggestions for how you've worked up your pieces?

Thanks for the props.

I just ripped them up, or cut them with a bread knife, nice and rough, and each layer roughly similar and slightly smaller than the last.

I was mindful pf repeating slope over several layers except the pancake rock pillars.

I got inspired by desert structures, not aqua flow erosion.