Kill Team: Salvation (Striking Scorpions vs Primaris Scouts)

2 hours ago, Fenriwolf said:

Not a fan of the poses they went with for the scorpions (feels very low effort), but lets be real, it's new scorpions that aren't in resin, i'll get them anyway

None of the are... striking. Either in the figurative or literal sense. They just stand there, in a very wide stance, feet planted. 

People on Etsy came up with way more interesting and dynamic poses, GW.

Striking scorpions - Etsy Polska

26 minutes ago, Kastor Krieg said:

None of the are... striking. Either in the figurative or literal sense. They just stand there, in a very wide stance, feet planted. 

People on Etsy came up with way more interesting and dynamic poses, GW.

Striking scorpions - Etsy Polska

That's what they are, though. Poses. I don't think many of those miniatures look terribly natural to me, like they are in motion or waiting to strike, most of those 3rd party not-Scorpions  look like they are just trying to look dramatic for the sake of it. I'm not saying they look dreadful as they clearly aren't, but I wouldn't say they are way better. Saying that, I really like the crouching pose on middle left model.

I do quite like some of the Artel W efforts as they look heavier and stealthier.

Spoiler

965364846.jpg

965364821.jpg965364826.jpg

Just to clarify further, I do think the poses of the GW sculpts are a bit underwhelming but not enough to rake them over the coals for it. I'm picking my battles and the new unit for the Admech is the one I'm really disappointed about.

Edited by Magos Takatus
Clarification

I like how 'Eavy Metal's version of the Striking Scorpions bases shows how silly including compulsory tactical rocks in sculpts can be.

"Right so we're painting the new Striking Scorpions, we'll paint the tactical rocks to look like stone rubble."

"Ok cool cool, they need to be set fighting on an industrial rig though."

"Okay, might be a bit weird but we can make that work."

"Also, the rig is in the middle of the ocean."

"Then....how did the rubble get there?"

"Aaaaand the rig needs to be red."

"I quit."

No matter what, whether it’s GW, Etsy, or Artel W, it looks like you are getting five (okay, six with Artel’s stuff) poses in a unit of ten.  Artel’s at least look good for their poses, the Etsy ones shown are not.

It would have been nice if there’d been more action to the GW ones, but they don’t really need it.  They are good versions of the original design in plastic for the Aspect, that’s all they need to be.  The Howling Banshees have some dynamism to their poses, but they don’t necessarily look any better for it.

To continue @KaosRaptor’s comments:
”And because they are Eldar, some of the rocks need to have Eldar runes on them, so people don’t forget who they are…”

”So now they just carry chunks of their own ruins around the galaxy with them into the fight each time…?”

That part of the models is silly, but should be solvable.

Edited by Bryan Blaire

7 hours ago, lansalt said:

The new Scouts have several noticeable primaris design cues, but for some reason GW gave them old Godwyn boltguns instead of the new primaris bolt carbines of BT neophytes. I guess it makes sense giving the old stuff to new recruits, but it begs the question of why it was not done too for the Crusader squad.

Godwyn Boltguns are easier to manufacture so it makes sense to use them as "training" weapons for Scouts, they do the job while being cheap.

As for Neophytes getting Bolt Carbines, I would argue that is because BT favour a more aggressive role, hence the use of Assault weapons like Bolt Carbines.

Edited by mecanojavi99

21 minutes ago, KaosRaptor said:

I like how 'Eavy Metal's version of the Striking Scorpions bases shows how silly including compulsory tactical rocks in sculpts can be.

"Right so we're painting the new Striking Scorpions, we'll paint the tactical rocks to look like stone rubble."

"Ok cool cool, they need to be set fighting on an industrial rig though."

"Okay, might be a bit weird but we can make that work."

"Also, the rig is in the middle of the ocean."

"Then....how did the rubble get there?"

"Aaaaand the rig needs to be red."

"I quit."

They had the same issue with the Kroot in the ItD box.  They are all on tactical rocks but the set is based on a spaceship.  They tried to imply the rocks were coming up through broken decking but it still leave the question of why would they be on board at all.  They just need to cool it with tactical rocks on non characters.

6 hours ago, Kallas said:

Good. Classic Boltguns have always looked great.

The Grapnel Launchers, the bolt pistols and I suppose the combat knives if you want to be generous.

Other than that, they're like 95% just Scouts scaled up, which is a good thing.

SpaceMarineScouts.jpg.1d8b87ff0f14b297713c142c6e44e30f.jpgScouts10th.thumb.jpg.53e1f73b791805266d5c7c1fa7daeaa2.jpg99120101283_SMAssaultIntercessorsLead.thumb.jpg.996c0d1aa3c72434dd61a58e1c3d2a12.jpg

You can clearly see that they have been redesigned to fit perfectly into the Primaris range, their armor is literally a super stripped down version of Tacticus armor.

19 minutes ago, mecanojavi99 said:

SpaceMarineScouts.jpg.1d8b87ff0f14b297713c142c6e44e30f.jpgScouts10th.thumb.jpg.53e1f73b791805266d5c7c1fa7daeaa2.jpg99120101283_SMAssaultIntercessorsLead.thumb.jpg.996c0d1aa3c72434dd61a58e1c3d2a12.jpg

You can clearly see that they have been redesigned to fit perfectly into the Primaris range, their armor is literally a super stripped down version of Tacticus armor.

They've got the vents on the obliques and the dome on the back, but other than that they're pretty much OG scouts.

Love the snorkel boy callback. Shows the function of the suit.
image.png.942d7ad4a5cd38e4f8fddfb3784c64bf.png

7 hours ago, mecanojavi99 said:

They look almost identical to original Scouts and certainly not nearly as much similarity to Tacticus to call them stripped down. They're in the same kind of carapace as they've always been in.

There are like four things: the grapnel launcher, bolt pistols, then kind of the belly plate (but they've always had a belly plate, we just have a better scaled torso so now they kind of have a second layered one, but that's hardly unique to Primaris), and the torso vents (which are more Primaris than not).

They're 95% original design, which is a good thing.

There's also the round reactor on the back. But ultimately I don't care what anyone calls them to sleep better at night. They're 1 for 1 with my BT neophytes (save perhaps for having sleeves and lacking the loin cloth, but that just introduces further variation between my models where i previously had to contend with 2 bodies)

Edited by Marshal Reinhard

I like both the Scorpions and the Scouts so will probably pick this up. The terrain is a bonus, and I can use the Scorpions as a a standalone Killteam until when/if I decide to start collecting Eldar at some point in the future. The Scouts will be part of the Salamanders army that I’m building this edition, with the other two armies I’m focussing on this edition being ‘Nids and Deathguard. I totally want a dual kit that builds Scout Bikers and Phobos Bikers with the option of having either type of rider on a more stripped down, off road ready and less bulky bike than the Ouriders.

15 hours ago, Captain Coolpants said:

Scorpions are my favourite aspect. I have 30 of them. But for some reason, not pumped for these at all? Maybe because they're just as monopose? Maybe I was hoping for fancier stances? 

Maybe it's because you already have 30 of them? :laugh:

4 hours ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

There's also the round reactor on the back. But ultimately I don't care what anyone calls them to sleep better at night. They're 1 for 1 with my BT neophytes (save perhaps for having sleeves and lacking the loin cloth, but that just introduces further variation between my models where i previously had to contend with 2 bodies)

Yeah, between these and sternguard etc, and tbh a lot of the new releases, BTs have got lots to play with.

On 10/16/2023 at 1:21 AM, Nova-V said:

They had the same issue with the Kroot in the ItD box.  They are all on tactical rocks but the set is based on a spaceship.  They tried to imply the rocks were coming up through broken decking but it still leave the question of why would they be on board at all.  They just need to cool it with tactical rocks on non characters.

Yep, or at least make them something that fits the whole scheme.

Spaceship/industrial - tactical pipe or girder

Jungle/woodland etc - tactical log/tuft/whatever

Urban - tactical rubble

Desert/rocky - tactical rock

Sometimes the rock looks bizarre, but then I suppose the argument would be that  they can be used with any game/terrain, and a girder or pipe would look odd on woodland/jungle tables. 

Easiest way would just be to not mold the leg to the rock itself. Let them be two different parts.

This way the designers could still make their dynamic poses they like so much, people who actually want the rock can use it and people who don't want it because it doesn't fit their basing scheme can just use something else that actually fits them to make up the height 

13 minutes ago, Cyrox said:

Yep, or at least make them something that fits the whole scheme.

Spaceship/industrial - tactical pipe or girder

Jungle/woodland etc - tactical log/tuft/whatever

Urban - tactical rubble

Desert/rocky - tactical rock

Well that would rely on the minis being designed with the theme of the Kill Team set in mind; that clearly isn't the case here. The basing and the format of the Scorpions kit indicate it has been designed to match the wider Eldar range and is not specifically for Kill Team at all, which is why it also has none of the usual features we've come to expect from Kill Team kits (alternate loadouts for individual troops to fulfil specific roles). 

10 minutes ago, Matrindur said:

Easiest way would just be to not mold the leg to the rock itself. Let them be two different parts.

This way the designers could still make their dynamic poses they like so much, people who actually want the rock can use it and people who don't want it because it doesn't fit their basing scheme can just use something else that actually fits them to make up the height 

Nothing a pair of clippers can't fix.

10 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

Well that would rely on the minis being designed with the theme of the Kill Team set in mind; that clearly isn't the case here. The basing and the format of the Scorpions kit indicate it has been designed to match the wider Eldar range and is not specifically for Kill Team at all, which is why it also has none of the usual features we've come to expect from Kill Team kits (alternate loadouts for individual troops to fulfil specific roles). 

Agreed , and I did add that as a caveat at the end of my post

Imagine a world where for every leg on a tactical rock in a kit, there is an alternate leg with the foot on the floor. What a world that would be!

I know that a model having both feet on the floor is a radical concept for the GW design team, but I have faith in them, I believe in them, they can do it. They could be the trailblazers into a new age of miniature design technology, where rocks are optional and units exist where everybody is stood with both feet planted on terra firma. Truly groundbreaking!

59 minutes ago, Toxichobbit said:

Imagine a world where for every leg on a tactical rock in a kit, there is an alternate leg with the foot on the floor. What a world that would be!

Such Utopias are for dreams alone...

16 minutes ago, Kallas said:

Such Utopias are for dreams alone...

Unfortunately as great as that would be (or including alternate base features as part of the kit, if extra legs are a no-go), it would also be an opportunity for another price increase, and everyone knows how much we all universally love those.  :laugh:

8 minutes ago, Bryan Blaire said:

Unfortunately as great as that would be (or including alternate base features as part of the kit, if extra legs are a no-go), it would also be an opportunity for another price increase, and everyone knows how much we all universally love those.  :laugh:

With the right attitude, anything can be an opportunity for a price increase. And in that regard, GW certainly have the "right attitude".  :biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...