Kill Team: Salvation (Striking Scorpions vs Primaris Scouts)

10 hours ago, LameBeard said:

Terminators moved from boxes of 5 to 10 in Heresy, and Marines from 10 to 20. And actually became cheaper “per model” in doing so. So there is some precedent.

Aye, but that's down to the nature of heresy. It's not uncommon to see multiple blocks of 20 marines. 

It's not common to see 30 scorpions in 40k. Also they're available as 5s at a minimum. I'd bet they'll be like the aspects we already have/ the marine jump intercessors as boxes of 5. 

There's far more precedent of smaller boxes for more cash :(

6 hours ago, Xirix said:

Nothing like this has happened for 40K though. It would be great, but I wouldn't hold my breath. (Consider, the new Indomitus Terminators came out in 5's as per usual, and this was after the HH reboxing for the other Termies)

Agree. I’m saying it’s possible rather than likely. They seemed to have painted themselves into a corner.

Unless all aspect warriors move to £50 for 10 maybe with the new codex, but that seems wrong for Dark Reapers. I do not know the Eldar range that well. How many sprues do you get in your £37.50 for 5 box?  At that price I might as well collect the rogue trader metal eldar army of my dreams.

1 hour ago, LameBeard said:

Agree. I’m saying it’s possible rather than likely. They seemed to have painted themselves into a corner.

Unless all aspect warriors move to £50 for 10 maybe with the new codex, but that seems wrong for Dark Reapers. I do not know the Eldar range that well. How many sprues do you get in your £37.50 for 5 box?  At that price I might as well collect the rogue trader metal eldar army of my dreams.

I'd go metals and RT/2nd ed. Cheaper [ironically] and still look awesome.

6 minutes ago, 01RTB01 said:

I'd go metals and RT/2nd ed. Cheaper [ironically] and still look awesome.

Agreed. At £37.50, I can't justify replacing my metal Aspect Warriors. Don't get me wrong, the new models are great but when you can get 10 Intercessors/Hellblasters/Infiltrators etc for the same price, it just does not add up.

39 minutes ago, paulj said:

Xenox tax :yes:

Nonsense, there is no such thing :

itstrue.thumb.jpg.bb2e115ff4f421a468f55a19fe7d4c32.jpg

Gets even better if you know the finer details

edit :

For the record though, if they ever might pull a horus heresy treatment to a 40k kit, I think it might be that one.

I could easily see GW pull a not too limited "Seer council" discount box of Farseer, 4 warlocks and maybe a Spiritseer for a much lower price than 2 of the warlock kits.

However its getting a bit offtopic.

There is one thing I missed in the pictures of the Striking scorpions I just noticed, and thats a bare exarch head ( we only saw 4 bare heads and only 1 helmeted exarch). I hope it comes with a fuller mane of dreadlocks.

Edited by TheMawr

8 hours ago, LameBeard said:

I believe most of the Aspect Warrior boxes and the Rangers box are a whopping two sprues, you definitely get less plastic than you would paying for Marines.

11 minutes ago, Xirix said:

I believe most of the Aspect Warrior boxes and the Rangers box are a whopping two sprues, you definitely get less plastic than you would paying for Marines.

Its 3 sprues, I did want to double check and then I realised something... each of the sprues is half the size of the black templars sword brethern sprues.. also 3. I never knew that... ( though I always wondered how it comes some "equivalent" spacemarine kits had so many options.)

and now I feel bad about it >_<

HH and 40k are similar in some ways . 40k 5 man boxes are largely individualized design, as are HH legion special units like Tyrants, Suzarians etc. So such units command a higher price point vs a more common box like guardians or a tac squad. Likely a lot of behind the scenes maths via GW's accountomancers why it's like this. It's clearly a successful practice, hence why it continues. To be fair IG moving to a 10 man box from 20, 10 man ork Boyz etc, if they didn't sell, they would be moving to bigger boxes to make up for declining sales. Why would you sell a value box if the customers are buying the more expensive ones still? 

14 hours ago, Halandaar said:

Even presuming you don't need the sourcebook or terrain sprue, the best case scenario (i.e. when the teams are released as standalone kits they are both 10-model sets for £37.50) is only going to save you a fiver (or £2.50 once you've split it with your friend) versus just buying the whole box for £80.

Sure a saving is a saving, but you're sort of betting against the non-insignificant chance that GW puts the Scorpions out for £37.50 for five models rather than ten, and frankly I do not like those odds. For me personally, the risk of spending £5 more than I needed to vastly outweighs the risk of finding out in 3 months time that actually the models are going to cost me over £30 more than I could have paid.

Edit - Not to mention if you don't need the sourcebook or terrain sprue from the Salvation box you can just sell them, you'd probably make £15-£20 back on that.

Or we just both stick to our older models.  Spend nothing and maybe grab them one day if the price allows. 

Paying too much now for fear it will be even more...its already too much.

Edited by Nagashsnee

3 hours ago, Nagashsnee said:

Or we just both stick to our older models.  Spend nothing and maybe grab them one day if the price allows. 

Paying too much now for fear it will be even more...its already too much.

Fair enough, using existing minis wasn't suggested as option in your original post. Not everybody already has some, after all.

I just realise... if the winter kill team box has indeed mandrakes on one side, then the tradition ( there are no patterns :p ) remains unbroken... for the last 9! years, every single dark eldar release has come in winter and in a box with someone else.. including the plastic Ur-ghul :ph34r:

Another thing Im thinking about is, kill team taking to the skies is something that might warrant some extra "effort" ( not the word I mean, but at these times I notice english is not my native language.) beyond just the next kill team presentation.

I could see a video where they talk about kill team taking to the sky, show some flyer miniatures, maybe tease mandrake/nightlord flying miniatures and present a Kill team : Skyfall/Falling Skies/Stairway to Heaven  "compendium" book with basic rules etc. for including a flyer or two in current teams ( use Scourges for Hands of the Archon, Stormboyz for Kommandos etc.)

Though I think its a type of content that would need more talking time than they actually have, and such a thing could also be released after the first sky-team.

Surely the whole "Season of the Sky" rumour is already debunked by virtue of Salvation (i.e. the first box of the season) including no jump units?

As a standalone expansion like Commanders from the last edition or Ashes of Faith, I could see it, but it seems to make little sense as a seasonal "theme" for the main releases, and even less so now that season is underway.

22 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

Surely the whole "Season of the Sky" rumour is already debunked by virtue of Salvation (i.e. the first box of the season) including no jump units?

As a standalone expansion like Commanders from the last edition or Ashes of Faith, I could see it, but it seems to make little sense as a seasonal "theme" for the main releases, and even less so now that season is underway.

Thats the odd thing though is it, its hailing from the same rumor source that is validated by Salvation, otherwise I wouldnt take a second thought to it. But it is actually anything but debunked.

And if the next box is indeed Mandrakes vs Nightlords.. even if the latter is legionaires again, it gets only weirder as it remains that they have flyers in the rumors further down the road.

However I partly agree with you, thats what I meant with my above post, I think the season of flyers rumor could be referring to an expansion that is run along the regular season( rumors often lack context after all.) though some of the upcoming killteams might have flyers in their rank already. ( there is after all presedence for this.)

When looking at this image :

Killteam_StairwaytoHeaven.thumb.jpg.2bb37291197a2a109f9df642a5e802c8.jpg

Basically alot of current kill teams that do not have a flying option ( on the right.) can be covered by the flying options on the left.

There are 3 notable things here, GW never liked non plastic miniatures in Killteam and two options on the left are resin... these are also the 2 rumored kill team releases that started the whole season of flyers rumor. ( Swooping hawks and Vespids )

Then there is a huge batch of kill teams that have no "fluffy" flyer option... they do have something in common though, these are things often accompanied in lore (and rules) by Tempestus scions

Who just so happen to have joined the "season of flight" rumors.. thus now covering all bases.

What I now speculate is the case that the rumors we are hearing refer not just to the regular kill team season ( though these might or might not sometimes include a flyer option, like the votann one did.. possibly in preperation for this. ) but to an expansion of flyers to run alongside it. Comparable to the Commanders/Elites boxes from before.

Most of it will be at most KT branded reboxes of existing flyers ( maybe some with existing or new upgrade sprues included, but I doubt it.) I dont expect vs boxes, nor do I expect it all to be spread out alot.

But two will be new; Vespids and Swooping Hawks

and a third is new, or an upgrade sprue that gives Jumppacks for Tempestus scions.

All of that ofcourse also coming with a book wich was what I was referencing to. And it could be, that tomorrows kill team preview, focuses on something like that.. and not the winter kill team box yet.  Showing us a video of all those existing flyers alongside the respective kill teams... possibly teasing some future stuff like vespids.

Its all wild speculation ofcourse, and while it ( for me) makes more sense out of the rumored kill teams, it could still be wrong, as could those rumors in the first place.

17 hours ago, Nagashsnee said:

Yes - pretty much this for me, because I have 2x5 in metals (the good ones). I'd probably get the refreshed Reapers before refreshed Scorpions, but if I had no Scorpions... this seems like a good buy potentially because you know they'll be the same price as Banshees / Reapers on release.

Building an Eldar army from scratch is a bit yikes these days, it's true. I'll buy more just as soon as they release plastic Hawks or Spiders. Have 2x5 metal spiders, but I'd be in for another 2x5 in plastic in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, Dr. Clock said:

Building ANY ARMY from scratch is a bit yikes these days, it's true.

In all honesty, this is unfortunately where it is. I'm more selective than I've ever been with what I buy. Gone are the days of "oh that codex looks like an interesting read, I'll grab it". I only buy what's needed :(

12 hours ago, Dr. Clock said:

Building an Eldar army from scratch is a bit yikes these days, it's true.

12 hours ago, 01RTB01 said:

In all honesty, this is unfortunately where it is. I'm more selective than I've ever been with what I buy. 

Oh for sure, I too feel the squeeze of higher kit prices. But as I have both a Marine army with no Scouts and a Craftworld army with no Scorpions, personally Salvation is a "two birds with one stone" type release where, once i've bought it from a third party at a discount and then sold the sourcebook on eBay, the final outlay of about £25 per 10-model unit looks almost reasonable, especially in 2023 terms.

3 minutes ago, Brother Carpenter said:

I quite like the scouts.

Normal head size and a nod back to the OOP metal ones.

I might consider these a buy.

... are you uninterested in the striking scorpions by any chance ? (or in the least, 5 of the unhelmeted heads) I dont see many fellow dutchmen here ;)

I've always questioned the flyer rumours. I think the mobility they provide is not really a good fit for KT. I know we have one flying Votann, and I haven't seen its rules. But it seemed even weirder than other flyers because it came out with a close-quarter Gallowdark seasonwhere flying makes even less sense.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Karhedron said:

Have we got a release date yet? I am wondering whether I need to rewrite my Christmas list.

Nothing yet. Theoretically we could hear something tomorrow on the next Pre-order Preview, but no guarantees.

4 minutes ago, RWJP said:

Nothing yet. Theoretically we could hear something tomorrow on the next Pre-order Preview, but no guarantees.

I would assume KT tommorow, but the fact they dropped a FEC preview on Friday gives me a suspicion that the army is coming out sooner rather then later

13 hours ago, sitnam said:

I would assume KT tommorow, but the fact they dropped a FEC preview on Friday gives me a suspicion that the army is coming out sooner rather then later

Well, the old plastic scouts have been removed from the store within the last day or so, so it's now definitely a toss up between KT and FEC. Only 5ish hours to go until we know for certain!