17th November preview event

I think we are going to get SA.

If I had to guess, we will get a variety of tanks based on the Leman Russ, Malachdor, and Baneblade Chasis, as well as infantry, the sentinel, and ogryns. Probably spaced out over a year or so release timeline, with a starter box of infantry + a sentinel, + a big tank or 2. 

1 hour ago, MegaVolt87 said:

SA are derided for their lack of plastic options, thus being an expensive army to build with the infantry. Same with mechanicum, though the cost can be mitigated by a lower model count build with the bigger kill bots. The mk VI box is stacked, makes sense to do a x20 man las rifle section box and a bunch of add on boxes that bolt on. Look how stacked the special weapons legion box is, amazing value there. FW is changing, there is a move to get normal tanks/ vehicle's and generic infantry out of the SBU and into GW main. Of course, if there are any new SA named characters released later, I fully expect them to be resin, matches the pattern. Again, GW has abandoned the cross sell with its recent moves, 30k is its own thing, SA are intended for 30k, but if you want to use them in 40k go ahead, they won't have rules though. Just like how you can take cata terminators if you match the wargear to indomni ones, as proxies. You buying 30k mini's to use in 40k is just a happy coincidence for GW, its no longer expected to make such a cross sell. 

You can’t go a single preview Thursday without a horde of people in the comments complaining about the Diving Suit Look. 

Edited by Tyriks
unnecessary insult

23 minutes ago, Marshal Rohr said:

You can’t go a single preview Thursday without a horde of people in the comments complaining about the Diving Suit Look. 

Where? And i wouldn't be surprised if this is a case of the vocal minority

21 minutes ago, Marshal Rohr said:

Maritine navel traditions/ styles moved to space ship captains in 30k/40k. Makes sense that human void troops would potentially be inspired by the old school diver suits designs. It's a good reason why they are like that. We don't need more tacticool looking stuff, it's too vanilla the CoD tacticool human look. 

1 hour ago, MegaVolt87 said:

Maritine navel traditions/ styles moved to space ship captains in 30k/40k. Makes sense that human void troops would potentially be inspired by the old school diver suits designs. It's a good reason why they are like that. We don't need more tacticool looking stuff, it's too vanilla the CoD tacticool human look. 

I personally love Solar Auxilia, but what I love and what Games Workshop product managers love are two very different things. 

4 hours ago, MegaVolt87 said:

Imho SA (infantry) really compliments the other imperial forces, both 30k and 40k in contrary to guard who, for my personal taste, visually and thematically clash with the other imperium stuff (incl. spacemarines.)

I made a compilation of things revealed at preview events the past year.. its not perfect ( and I miss the generic build of lord invocatus wich was first shown at last years grand finale )

pastpreviewevents.thumb.jpg.3fcf882cf90908852fc6a657c45c48f2.jpg

I think its likely that this preview has (some) more than last years grand finale.. however it obviously wont be anywhere near Warhammerfest (multiple days) or Adepticon ( longer preview, though apart from the 10th edition stuff, the rest was covered in an hour.) Nova also stands out over the rest, but I think thats usually the case.

5 hours ago, MegaVolt87 said:

A new Solar Auxilia range would be fantastic. I've had this idea for a SA force to pair with the Dark Angels, originating from those Knights of the Order that couldn't be upgraded to Space Marines that I've wanted to do for a long while now. I just need to come up with the finalized paint scheme for it.

Just FYI Solar Aux have always been CAD designed. 
From a logistics perspective I really don't see what benefit LI gives over the already designed 28mm models.

That said, from a marketing perspective, units like the new sentinels and the fact they are the non marine posterboys for LI I think makes them a pretty good bet.
The Arvus rerelease too.

If so, I hope they do a good job on them.
They're currently already nice, very detailed models and I hated how they redesigned Death Korps in the transition to the plastic. 

SA seems likely, but I can't help but hope for Mechanicum. (Fires of Cyraxus lives on)

12 hours ago, Indy Techwisp said:

I feel its appropriate to remind people that this preview stream is only going to be an hour long.

An hour is quite a slab a time though, sometimes the issue with previews is all the waffling about and attempt to prolong each reveal with awkward chatter. Moving at a decent clip and you can cover quite a lot. Think they've been better on pacing nowadays.

I like the diving suits, although I wonder if the plan is to release a single plastic troops choice and loads of tanks, like they did with the marines.   Could be a big problem depending what army list options are in resin/unavailable since nearly everyone will be starting this army from scratch, unlike marines.

Out of curiousity have SA and their diving suit look ever been mentioned in the HH and Siege of Terra novels? 

2 minutes ago, de Selby said:

I like the diving suits, although I wonder if the plan is to release a single plastic troops choice and loads of tanks, like they did with the marines.   Could be a big problem depending what army list options are in resin/unavailable since nearly everyone will be starting this army from scratch, unlike marines.

Out of curiousity have SA and their diving suit look ever been mentioned in the HH and Siege of Terra novels? 

Yeah, generally 'Void Armour'. Solar War and Praetorian of Dorn both in particular.

General references to SA are mixed, with several different terms being used and the SA featuring both in void and ground combat. This does match with the Black Book lore though, with the SA representing both the 'original' SA formations from the Solar System, with a heavy emphasis on void combat, and also being a general template for elite human formations that undertake hazardous, dangerous or high priority missions. This was in the lore in 1.0, but has now been represented in the rules for 2.0 with the different 'templates' you can use when building a list.

5 hours ago, spessmarine said:

An hour is quite a slab a time though, sometimes the issue with previews is all the waffling about and attempt to prolong each reveal with awkward chatter. Moving at a decent clip and you can cover quite a lot. Think they've been better on pacing nowadays.

Decent clip or no, there's still the confirmed full range refresh reveal for AoS' Flesh Eater Courts plus a heavily implied reveal for the 4th Dawnbreakers book as well.

That sheer quantity of stuff is likely to be the majority of the runtime and there's still another 6 systems worth of stuff to reveal as well.

There simply isn't time for a Horus Heresy full plastic Army reveal as well unless the other 5 systems are all sharing a 10 min window at most.

1 hour ago, Indy Techwisp said:

there's still the confirmed full range refresh reveal for AoS' Flesh Eater Courts

Most likely it will be only a launch box reveal and everything else will be shown during winter, like with StD last year. So it'll easily fit into 10 min slot. 

Edited by Sarges

40 minutes ago, marspeople said:

Do we think we might see the first hints at the Mandakes vs Night Lords Kill Teams?

(if its them, because its a rumor ofcourse) First hints very likely... killteam is on the preview schedule, and box 2 is in the winter release slot ( Dec, Jan, Feb ) so would be previewed here or at LVO.

Its more a matter of what else would they show for killteam if not the next box ? current version of kill team is often pretty straightforward in contrary to previouw versions and equivalent games.

Warcry and WHU to some extent had releases, sometimes suprise releases, that where outside of the normal season releases and had no new material.. and similar things could be done ;

-- a bunch of Kill teams based on existing kits reboxed and with rules, but no upgrade sprues.

-- a bunch of kill team terrain theme boxes

-- a ETB based "cheap" Killteam starter

-- much speculated/rumored Spacehulk based on killteam  edit: to reemphasize.. afaik, more speculation/wishlist than strong rumor

But all of them are in my opinion less likely than just the next box, or at least a miniature from the next box to follow up on.

Edited by TheMawr

Just had a thought about Necromunda. In an interview with Loremaster of Sotek on YouTube, Mark Gibbons mentioned that a Necromunda character is returning and he think's she's getting new artwork based on his old artwork. For those that don't know, he's (almost certainly) talking about Mad Donna. She got a novel a few years ago with artwork that looked nothing like Mark's original, so I'm guessing by returning he doesn't mean another novel but actually returning to the game. Probably not in this preview, but it would be cool to see her back.

Here's the timestamp to where he says it. 

22 hours ago, Marshal Rohr said:

I got more retro futuristic space suit vibes than diving suit. They have a really unique look that says these guys definitely fight in space. If you look up old diving suits it gets super wierd super fast.

9 hours ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

I got more retro futuristic space suit vibes than diving suit. They have a really unique look that says these guys definitely fight in space. If you look up old diving suits it gets super wierd super fast.

It's a mix, but I definitely see the retro space suits.
I wouldn't say they don't have some heavy dive suit references. (even some influences from Bioshock)

Also probably some WWI Arditi, flame thrower helmet stuff. (without stepping on Krieg's design)

image.thumb.png.33142bd7ef9c4e9bf48b1b2bce7a53cf.png