17th November preview event

2 hours ago, JayJapanB said:

Nah, I think it's also due to ease of building and better posing. At the expense of creative freedom.
When I look at all my old space marines I built as a kid, the hands are all positioned janky. 
You can build free off-hand models well, but many inexperience people would probably have a harder time.

The Jigsaw kits is mainly just so they can fit more complex designs on less sprue.

I don't buy into the conspiracies on it being "DRM". In the past they used metal which much like resin, can have undercuts and thicker parts.

As long as they do it well. (Which BTs were)
Sometimes I don't mind the restraint of the upgrade-sprue route. Rather than plastering chunky angel symbols everywhere, just because they can.
I also prefer transfers in a lot of cases.

How on earth is the double leg snapping into body format better than lower torso gluing into upper torso? Literally taking what was 2 or 3 parts and making it 4 parts minimum with awkward angles?

How is having an angled 2mm surface to line up with an angled arm easier than a single part that cups any weapon equally?

Sorry, no, they are not easier. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

I hope with the new DA stuff, they fix the fact that quite simply the DA are nasty, back stabbing, self serving wretches.  All of their novels portray them as a force that routinely and gleefully kill off loyal imperials and brother astartes all to hide the shame of a few of them turning their back on the big E.   The 40k era White Scars or Wolves dont go to such lengths to hide their brothers who turned, they just concentrate on killing chaos.  After Mike Brooks did such a fantastic job of making the Lion not be a complete nob in the latest novel, and instead made him someone who is a character you can feel some affection for, I hope GW takes the opportunity to use the Lion to get the DA back into a proprer force for the Imperium, rather than a chapter which at best was utterly self serving, and more often did more harm to the Imperials that the Black Legion does.   

The DA need to be likeable (loyal) again.

7 hours ago, Scribe said:

That's actually a pretty solid explanation for the lunacy of their jigsaw puzzle approach to new kits... :(

I think spruce layout and parts are based on hiding mold lines. They're fantastic these days are disguising one of the most feel-bad elements of the hobby.

Anyway, DA should be cool. But is it's Asmodai I'd hope we get some lore or character development related the the redeemed. They're good at expressing that on mini too.

I do somewhat agree that the Dark Angels have been very poorly portrayed for a long time in the novels. Their shame over the fallen was an interesting idea that became such a thematic focus across stories that it transformed into their entire identity.

Their visual styling, colour scheme, Primarch and history are all top tier stuff.

Their portrayal across novels in the modern setting made them deeply unlikeable in a lot of cases, and their behaviour was outright traitorous in some instances. I blame the authors who worked on them, just as I blame some authors for the lack of intelligence many characters suffer from in a lot of the Horus Heresy novels.

Still, the latest Lion novel was a step in the right direction and I have hope that the Dark Angels will once again take their places as exemplars in the Imperium. I personally found the Lion's change in character to be somewhar jarring, but he is a lot more likable now. I'm hoping authors account for his pragmatism when writing about the Dark Angels going forward.

I think it's beyond question that the Dark Angels have the potential to deliver some of the best looking models in the range. Their Primarch is evidence of that. I hope we see new Deathwing Knights.

37 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

Their portrayal across novels in the modern setting made them deeply unlikeable in a lot of cases, and their behaviour was outright traitorous in some instances.

I'd argue that they're just as unlikeable in the HH novels too honestly.

Maybe an element was intended to be there from the start, but they overshot.

The Lion's more mellow persona is probably an attempt to rectify things a bit. It gives them some leeway in how they can change and portray the Dark Angels going forward.

14 minutes ago, Handsome Fred said:

It's been a while since last preview without leaks, nothing on any gw game right now, only the rumors about the dark angels.

Pretty nice.

.. I cant tell wether this is sarcasm ?

The only thing on there that doesnt have rumors is the WHU one. And one of the AoS things is quite an infamous and almost meme worthy leak, given how long it is taking GW to acknowledge it ( while the owner of said miniatures happily assembles and reviews the as of yet unannounced unit)..

8 minutes ago, TheMawr said:

.. I cant tell wether this is sarcasm ?

The only thing on there that doesnt have rumors is the WHU one. And one of the AoS things is quite an infamous and almost meme worthy leak, given how long it is taking GW to acknowledge it ( while the owner of said miniatures happily assembles and reviews the as of yet unannounced unit)..

Everything has rumours as it always does, only AoS has actual leaks as you say (I think we're up to 6 or 7 months now with a very tight lipped GW on those Ghouls).

Rumours and leaks are very different, even if the rumours are from GW Valrak :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, TrawlingCleaner said:

Everything has rumours as it always does, only AoS has actual leaks as you say (I think we're up to 6 or 7 months now with a very tight lipped GW on those Ghouls).

Rumours and leaks are very different, even if the rumours are from GW Valrak :thumbsup:

This, I'm talking about proper leaks, so pics or similar, rumor engine are stuff that gw makes to ensure hype.

The only "leak" is the amount of trailers at least

33 minutes ago, Marshal Rohr said:

Are we thinking the assault squad will be a three sprue kit in boxes of 10 or a one sprue kit in boxes of 20 with a Despoiler/Assault Weapons sprue upgrade box like the special and heavy weapons?

I'm hoping they're boxes of 10 at least. However, unless they've done something with the jump packs I'll be having those printed. I much prefer the old style rounded turbo fans type. The ones akin to dominion zephon I really don't like.

3 hours ago, Waaagh? said:

I'd agree, and I think it's by design. 

I'm not a Dark Angel player (though my best friend growing up was, so I've painted a few), and have never read one of their novels. So I can't comment on how annoyingly overdone their "pride-to-insanity", paranoid, obsessive, etc themes have become. But: those things are what I like about the chapter, and them mellowing out would make them less interesting to me.

Similar, I think, to Lion "The Dick" El'Jonson's return (so far) being a touch boring for me because he does seem... nice.

But I'm currently working on Emperor's Children and Iron Warriors, so: I guess I'm attracted to swill.

(I also like The Fallen and Cypher a whole lot, and think that The Redeemed are a poor end for them. I like renegade Dark Angels, and think it's neat that some are only renegade because they're being hunted.)

2 hours ago, TheMawr said:

The only thing on there that doesnt have rumors is the WHU one.

There's a rumour repeated on TGA that it's going to be Kruleboyz. The roadmap does say destruction (and that's a small pool to draw from), so it's not a very fanciful rumour, but IIRC the source isn't proven.

Putting my money down for an interrogator chaplain and the Unforgiven still trying to hunt down the Fallen on the downlow while hiding it from the Lion. I cannot see Asmodei just letting it go even if the Emp himself shows up and personally instructs him to.

While an Assault Squad for Heresy would be nice and Breachers a dream, it would rule to have them toss in one of the missing Praetors (who doesn't love a new Sally or IH mini?).

3 hours ago, StrangerOrders said:

Putting my money down for an interrogator chaplain and the Unforgiven still trying to hunt down the Fallen on the downlow while hiding it from the Lion. I cannot see Asmodei just letting it go even if the Emp himself shows up and personally instructs him to.

While an Assault Squad for Heresy would be nice and Breachers a dream, it would rule to have them toss in one of the missing Praetors (who doesn't love a new Sally or IH mini?).

He 100% would. Asmodai believes that all fallen can repent and refuses to allow them to be killed until they have. If Jonson himself forgives them, then this is something he would accept.

EDIT: GW is still very likely to eliminate I-C models though.

Edited by twopounder

19 hours ago, beefeb said:

I hope with the new DA stuff, they fix the fact that quite simply the DA are nasty, back stabbing, self serving wretches.  All of their novels portray them as a force that routinely and gleefully kill off loyal imperials and brother astartes all to hide the shame of a few of them turning their back on the big E.   The 40k era White Scars or Wolves dont go to such lengths to hide their brothers who turned, they just concentrate on killing chaos.  After Mike Brooks did such a fantastic job of making the Lion not be a complete nob in the latest novel, and instead made him someone who is a character you can feel some affection for, I hope GW takes the opportunity to use the Lion to get the DA back into a proprer force for the Imperium, rather than a chapter which at best was utterly self serving, and more often did more harm to the Imperials that the Black Legion does.   

The DA need to be likeable (loyal) again.

This was all Gav Thorpe. I'm so glad he was booted from making any more and they began fixing the story. I'm not opposed to their dark side, but it was withdrawing from battle occasionally and disappearing inquisitors (which, honestly, we all think deserve disappearing). Events like Ophidium Gulf are supposed to be rare and build conflict, because stories without conflict are boring. But yeah, it went overboard and Thorpe is just not a good writer to begin with. He also flushed the earlier background.

Hopefully it will be more interesting and complex again and not so one dimensional, cartoon villainish.

Edited by twopounder

6 minutes ago, twopounder said:

This was all Gav Thorpe. I'm so glad he was booted from making any more and they began fixing the story. I'm not opposed to their dark side, but it was withdrawing from battle occasionally and disappearing inquisitors (which, honestly, we all think deserve disappearing). Events like Ophidium Gulf are supposed to be rare and build conflict, because stories without conflict are boring. But yeah, it went overboard and Thorpe is just not a good writer to begin with. He also flushed the earlier background.

Hopefully it will be more interested and complex again and not so one dimensional, cartoon villainish.

Yeah... he tends to do less than pleasant things to marine factions he is unleashed on (will defend his eldar stuff though).

Look at what he did to the Space Wolves with Wolftime... Thousand Yard Stare. Granted, the SW seem to have become the wiping boy for GW lately since someone decided that they needed to be outright stupid (Who let the deranged subset of the TS fanbase onto the board?:sweat:).

On a more related note, I like that the Knights have heavier Deathwing iconography as opposed to generic DA symbols, helps with successors. Would need to dig up my old DA termies to check but I feel like the old kit had DA symbols on the shields rather than the broken sword these do for example.

Edited by StrangerOrders

2 minutes ago, StrangerOrders said:

On a more related note, I like that the Knights have heavier Deathwing iconography as opposed to generic DA symbols, helps with successors. Would need to dig up my old DA termies to check but I feel like the old kit had DA symbols on the shields rather than the broken sword these do for example.

They used have have winged angels, which had the broken sword. It's a different style, more subdued, but I think it works.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

2 minutes ago, StrangerOrders said:

Yeah... he tends to do less than pleasant things to marine factions he is unleashed on (will defend his eldar stuff though).

Look at what he did to the Space Wolves with Wolftime... Thousand Yard Stare. Granted, the SW seem to have become the wiping boy for GW lately since someone decided that they needed to be outright stupid (Who let the deranged subset of the TS fanbase onto the board?:sweat:).

They had a lot of symbols on their shields.  Thankfully these do not