Palatine Enforcers Tauros Venator

It’s nice, and I’ll probably try to shoehorn it into a GSC list somewhere, but the wheels just seem a little off to me. More “toy car” whereas the resin originals are more “scale model”. Nothing major, just a little thing. 

5 hours ago, SpaceDwalin said:

Hey GW, please just go ahead an re-boot Dark Future! The Ash Wastes vehicles rock and totally look the part.

GW would gain very little from that, I'm afraid... and would take on some new risks. Cosmically distant settings are so much safer for business than those even loosely based on this world's actual cultures and histories... While this release shows that it's very easy for them to build existing IP value by expanding legacy Warhammer brands.

Put another way: Ash Wastes IS the reboot of Dark Future pretty much, and there is nothing to prevent anyone from homebrewing their own Dark Future narratives/models to hang on Necromunda rules... Or indeed from kludging the Ash Wastes miniatures into games using old Dark Future rules... GW in the main will always prefer to add on to an existing game/range than to introduce more closed / parallel systems.

GW doesn't tell you that you can use Necromunda minis in 40k and vice versa, but I do anyway for both diversity and cost reasons... Same with Heresy releases. I understand the business case for keeping Heresy stuff as Legends on paper, but that doesn't mean I'm giving a second thought to getting a 10-man MkIV assault squad and using it as jump Intercessors because they'll match an old army more to my taste... Nor will it stop me using these new Tauros as Ridgerunners in 40k. GW is great at quietly enabling cross-game conversions and counts-as by keeping narrative and design consistent even through many scales of game. I think that was a big part of the original 90s/00s stutter of GW 'skirmish games': Gorkamorka should have built on Necro instead of nominally competing with it. Also doesn't hurt that plastic vehicle designs are so much better now than 25 years ago lol.

Our existing collections should become more not less relevant to the diversity of Warhammer games as time goes on, if you ask me...

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

2 hours ago, AnvilofFenris said:

It’s nice, and I’ll probably try to shoehorn it into a GSC list somewhere, but the wheels just seem a little off to me. More “toy car” whereas the resin originals are more “scale model”. Nothing major, just a little thing. 

im sure it’d make a nice Ridgerunner proxy

10 hours ago, ThePenitentOne said:

Now that you mention it, yeah, the front fender is rounded at the back rather than angled and it does sit closer to the tire. I didn't notice that in my first pass- it's more subtle than the headlights, the Aquilla and the rocket tubes I mentioned above, but you're right, there is a difference there.

It's more than just the back, the entire front of the chassis is "smoothed out" instead of angular and that's the design throughout.

eKZnNxv.png

Aha thanks for doing a side by side, it was setting off some real uncanny valley vibes for me and i couldnt place it until i saw them together!  I always meant to buy more of the original version, inspired by someone on Warseer who converted whole companies of them! 

Kastor- your eye is very well trained. The side-by-side with the red lines illustrates clearly things I could not even see. Thanks for taking the time.

One of my concerns with the new sculpt is that the turret looks a bit taller, and I'm concerned that it might interfere with the fit into a Skytalon.

Speaking of Skytalon: I'm assuming that the claw is an upgrade sprue. So if the base kit is already plastic, they just need to do the upgrade frame... If they release the Venator for 40k, they've gotta do the Talon to go with, don't they? It's just one extra frame.

If not, I'll cave in and finally shell out for a FW product. I'm just hoping it doesn't come to that. 

@ThePenitentOne I would not hold my breath about it fitting the old FW one. I would not be surprised if this plastic Venator is bigger than the original FW one, recent human GW infantry is definitely bigger than old FW IG sculpts so I would expect open-top vehicles like this to scale up as well. 

18 hours ago, ThePenitentOne said:

Speaking of Skytalon: I'm assuming that the claw is an upgrade sprue. So if the base kit is already plastic, they just need to do the upgrade frame... If they release the Venator for 40k, they've gotta do the Talon to go with, don't they? It's just one extra frame.

If not, I'll cave in and finally shell out for a FW product. I'm just hoping it doesn't come to that. 

I have a long suffering Skytalon in my pile of shame and it does have a good chunk of resin in it. Plastic parts are mainly the cockpit detail, engines tail and wings.

20231121_210311.thumb.jpg.dc6836194af75169e4807fc4db27e92a.jpg

I still think the new kit would look good in a airbourne force without all the logistical air support, not every airbourne battle happens within seconds of the drop, though it does add to the themes of the army.

Edited by Beaky Brigade

21 hours ago, ThePenitentOne said:

Kastor- your eye is very well trained. The side-by-side with the red lines illustrates clearly things I could not even see. Thanks for taking the time.

Really appreciate this, mate. It's technically a minor thing, yet design-wise for me it's quite major and shifts the feel of the vehicle from "something stolen from a Guard outpost" to "civilian designed joyride with bolted on guns". The angularity of the original screams at me "military don't care about form, only function", while the plastic one's curves are all "car manufacturer design".

It could just as well be that the 'Munda STC it's derived from is based on a "civilian / police" version of the vehicle, while the Guard one was based on something more rugged and easier / quicker to manufacture. However, I really wish they retained the unabashed angularity, it'd be a perfect match for some real vehicles, as if it were a bigger brother of the the US Army's Polaris DAGOR.

image.thumb.png.c8fd0da06b25d87badd15fa2a2beb9c7.png

Edited by Kastor Krieg

• 2 weeks later...

We should be getting a warcom article about the Tauros this week, but it won't tel me the one thing I need to know: can the new plastic sculpt by carried by a sky talon.

They won't tell us, because it's a Necromunda release, and GW seems to have a weird policy about not creating 40k rules for Necromunda models even in cases where it would make perfect sense to do it lore-wise and be savvy, sales-increasing business sense on top of that.

How many Cargo 8 fence-sitters would pony up and buy one if the GSC could use it in 40k?

I know I would.

25 minutes ago, ThePenitentOne said:

They won't tell us, because it's a Necromunda release, and GW seems to have a weird policy about not creating 40k rules for Necromunda models even in cases where it would make perfect sense to do it lore-wise and be savvy, sales-increasing business sense on top of that.

The Venator and the Skytalon both have 10th edition rules. They're both legends. 

The main thing that won't match the Necromunda model is the weapon options.

And if you're expecting a Necromunda model to get non-Legends rules... good luck with that.

As for physically as a modelling project, hard to say. Might be slightly bigger.