A Time of Reaving Interest

Black Cohort

With a month's worth of rations for the crew, I think we should ascertain why the populace of Phastus II are fit only for servitor-lobotomisation or penal legions before we start eating all their strange plants and weird dog's milk.

Should we quarantine the supplies to the Death Guard in system, or just magpie everything? :pirate:

(You know, since we're the good guys).

Thoughts?

24 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

With a month's worth of rations for the crew, I think we should ascertain why the populace of Phastus II are fit only for servitor-lobotomisation or penal legions before we start eating all their strange plants and weird dog's milk.

Should we quarantine the supplies to the Death Guard in system, or just magpie everything? :pirate:

(You know, since we're the good guys).

Thoughts?

You may have misread the note from the Adeptus Terra on Phastus II.

I don't think I've misread, but perhaps I have inferred more than what's there:

I want to know why tithed units are having increased non-combat related deaths, and have a load of food-related questions around that.

I just can't ask any NPC's who might be in the know yet, hence the spit-balling.

Derp,  I think I misread it too.

So it's actually saying about something being wrong with the food from Phastus, so that units that eat it seem to die more quickly? And therefore the suggestion is to give the food to units that are already likely to die quickly such as Penal legion (or that care less about food quality, like Servitors)?

Worrying that a vessel associated with one of the original 4 traitors is here, makes it more possible that the people here know exactly what has been happening to the Imperium?

Do we think we should minimise the numbers of Astartes on board, make us seem as unthreatening as possible?

Secondly, I suspect we shouldn't admit to there being any other Legions on board except Salamanders? If we tell them there is a mixed group of IH, RG and Sallies on our ship (and the locals are Traitor and do know about everything going on) it is going to be pretty obvious that we have come from Istvaan...?

The only exception to that would be to admit that Hadad is aboard if there are IW in the garrison, as it might get us planetside a bit more easily? We can always make up a reason for him being there if we need to eg. maybe the Sallies rescued him as a lone survivor from another garrison (on another world, that was destroyed by the xenos their task force was hunting) or whatever?

Edited by Lysimachus

22 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

So it's actually saying about something being wrong with the food from Phastus, so that units that eat it seem to die more quickly? And therefore the suggestion is to give the food to units that are already likely to die quickly such as Penal legion (or that care less about food quality, like Servitors)?

This is what's activating my almonds. The food is supposed to be good, providing all the sustenance required for human life, but the excess deaths remain.

Is it a reliance on the foodstuffs provided? Are the foodstuffs psychotropic in some circumstance that has gone unremarked? Is it withdrawal or withering? Why are the troops only good for cannon-fodder? Is it indicative of discipline failure? If so, does it have anything to do with the black tithe? Is it a symptom of increased psyker activity?

Does the food cause it?

Like I said, went down a rabbit hole.

1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

This is what's activating my almonds. The food is supposed to be good, providing all the sustenance required for human life, but the excess deaths remain.

Is it a reliance on the foodstuffs provided? Are the foodstuffs psychotropic in some circumstance that has gone unremarked? Is it withdrawal or withering? Why are the troops only good for cannon-fodder? Is it indicative of discipline failure? If so, does it have anything to do with the black tithe? Is it a symptom of increased psyker activity?

Does the food cause it?

Like I said, went down a rabbit hole.

Personally I had interpreted those details as some early shipments had a Ergot infestation/contamination or similar, so there was a decrees in discipline/increase in random stupid accidents as the troopers acted on mild hallucinations.

Then the reclassification happened without knowing the cause and now it is self fulfilling as it is supplied only to troops already at higher risk of casualties.  

1 hour ago, Lysimachus said:

Worrying that a vessel associated with one of the original 4 traitors is here, makes it more possible that the people here know exactly what has been happening to the Imperium?

Do we think we should minimise the numbers of Astartes on board, make us seem as unthreatening as possible?

Secondly, I suspect we shouldn't admit to there being any other Legions on board except Salamanders? If we tell them there is a mixed group of IH, RG and Sallies on our ship (and the locals are Traitor and do know about everything going on) it is going to be pretty obvious that we have come from Istvaan...?

The only exception to that would be to admit that Hadad is aboard if there are IW in the garrison, as it might get us planetside a bit more easily? We can always make up a reason for him being there if we need to eg. maybe the Sallies rescued him as a lone survivor from another garrison (on another world, that was destroyed by the xenos their task force was hunting) or whatever?

Very much agree, play the Hadad card if needed in dealing with the IW, and otherwise pretend we are pure Sallies

Sorry for the inactivity here, Grandfather Nurgle left me something especially virulent under the tree this holiday season and I've not been about.I'm back on my feet now though, and I'll get an IC post up tonight.

Do we want to specify a type of xenos we were fighting in our cover story, if that's what we're going with?

Glad you're feeling better! :thumbsup:

I guess the best bet would be to stick to the truth as far as we possibly can? So tell them whatever Nuzry and the Tribute were doing before getting called up for the Istvaan Campaign?

…but OOC I don't know if either:

a) @Black Cohort already had something specific in mind for that?

Or b) he didn't, it doesn't matter to the story, and so we are free to create something and it will be what the ship/crew were actually doing?

If it's the latter, I guess the obvious main threats to choose from would be Orks, Eldar, or Compliance of a non-Imperial Human world? But equally it could be something more unusual, a whole xeno species/world wiped out, etc?

Ooh, yeah, that's smart thinking. Human, then, or at least human tech adjacent.

Edit: although I suppose a lot of Ork tech is looted/copied from whoever they are fighting? Could also include Votann, though I'm not too sure what they were up to in the GC/HH era?

Edited by Lysimachus

Whatever the Tribute was doing prior to the muster should be in the ship's logs, we probably don't even have to disturb the captain to find that out as long as our suits interface with the onboard systems and we have the clearance to see it.

As for cover stories, if we're the only survivor of a multi-legion squadron that was scrambled to meet a new xenos threat, it would explain why we're damaged and why we have a mix of different legions on board. We purged the threat at great cost, but we need resupply and an astropath to warn the rest of humanity that there's a new kind of alien marauding around, since they blocked our outgoing communications and none of our own astropaths survived. That's why we're in such a hurry to send a message. (since you mention it, the damage done by their weapons is pretty similar to ours, but that just means their guns are really good, eh?)

11 hours ago, Lysimachus said:

Edit: although I suppose a lot of Ork tech is looted/copied from whoever they are fighting? Could also include Votann, though I'm not too sure what they were up to in the GC/HH era?

@Lysimachus - In the Great Crusade the Votann were getting re-introduced to the Imperium of Man / Resisting compliance etc.

They are the Galactic Core Worlds mentioned in the Armour Blurb for Mk III - Iron Armour.

If Urauloth isn't around for Ekene to make contact, maybe Hadad can do it?

Tro did get 3DoS on his last Chapter (or Legion) Ciphers roll, was that enough for him to have opened an acceptable/recognised channel with the IW at the garrison and send them a message?

Otherwise, yep, I guess we just get on the THawk and try making an approach?

• 3 weeks later...

If nothing is working as far as sending/receiving astropathic messages goes, I think our primary goal was getting as much resupply from the garrison as we can, so that's our target?

I think we (or specifically Hadad?) are asking the IW to let us land our Thunderhawk at the garrison - preferably inside, but outside if they won't let us in! We can talk to them and try to determine what they know and what side they are on?

If we find that they are unaware of Istvaan and still loyal, we can try to (gently) let them know what happened. Assuming we can convince them, we'd then strip the garrison of anything useful (including the loyal IW, if they want to come?) and get out of the system before any traitor ships arrive?

Alternatively, if they do know about Istvaan and aren't loyal, I guess we either attack them there and then (might be possible with air support from the Thunderhawk?) …or run away and try to figure out a sneakier way in? Either way, this would be with the intent of killing all the filthy traitors and then going back to the ‘looting anything useful’ bit (see above! :tongue:)

That was my understanding of what the general plan was, I may have missed stuff though… :ermm:

I'm happy with just flying down, landing on whatever pad they direct us to, then saying hello, although I can wait in the gunship or something if Sul and Hadad want to fly casual/solo.

I mean, at the end of the day, either they're traitors, or not. If so, they will either shoot us down as we're leaving, or shoot us as we get out; or think we're traitors and do the same...

Edited by Mazer Rackham
Pragmatic context

36 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

I mean, at the end of the day, either they're traitors, so will shoot us down as we're leaving, or shoot us as we get out; or think we're traitors and do the same...

I know Istavann was hard on all of us, but maybe have room for a little hope...?

As Lys said I understood the plan to be to try and get down, in or (more safley perhapse) near the garison and then see ifthey are friendlies...

9 minutes ago, Trokair said:

I know Istavann was hard on all of us, but maybe have room for a little hope...?

There is only vengeance, my friend...

OOC: I was going to add something pragmatic to the grim dark, but forgot because someone was prattling at me. I've dropped it in.