A Time of Reaving Interest

Black Cohort

My thining is that Hadad would not lie with what he says, but would perhaps leave out some details or use precice form of words until such time as he felt comfortable telling them that pap Petro was an oathbreaker.

I have a reply in mind, jut havent had time to write it out

will try to have it out after swimming tonight

• 2 weeks later...

I realize we still have not fired a single bolt round or carved apart one traitor with a chainsword yet, but I often find the actual combat the least interesting parts of rpg campaigns.

Don't worry though, at some point bolter rounds will fly, and you may or may not be sure the other side are actually traitors.

I'm not sure Elvrit would agree to have the squad split up, and certainly not to have them disarmed. He's trying to give these IW the benefit of the doubt (mostly because of Hadad's good example) but this seems like a step of trust too far?

I'd be tempted to tell Thorg that we stay together and stay armed, whether that's inside or we wait right here for the Sgt to return from the Governor? (He'll have to come past us to get back in anyway, won't he?)

However, I don't want to just post to that effect as it's too much like making a decision for the whole team.

It's probably mostly up to Tro and Urauloth what they want to do, as it's their dudes being put at risk?

I've been umming and ahhing over how Elvrit would respond, but I just can't see that he would agree to disarmament or being split up, hence my latest IC post.

However, if others think it is a better idea to do as Thorg directs, feel free to disagree with Elvrit, as he can be shouted down and/or convinced to go with the rest?

On 2/19/2024 at 12:59 PM, Lysimachus said:

I've been umming and ahhing over how Elvrit would respond, but I just can't see that he would agree to disarmament or being split up, hence my latest IC post.

However, if others think it is a better idea to do as Thorg directs, feel free to disagree with Elvrit, as he can be shouted down and/or convinced to go with the rest?

BC has certainly put us in a paranoid pickle. 

For Hadad I think that he did not expect to survive Istavann at all, so is, while not actively suicidal, more willing to enter into potential lethal situations. 

It's one of those times when Players just have to roll the dice to go forward.

What I will say is that Thorg was very surprised at the idea Horus would lose his spoons, hence the Scrutiny Test to see if he was faking it. It he isn't, it means they haven't heard from the Old Iron Breeches to be swayed to a cause, so there's that.

And while Thorg suspects someone would betray the Emperor, his candidates were outliers that even loyalist players would think were up for it...

8 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

It's one of those times when Players just have to roll the dice to go forward.

What I will say is that Thorg was very surprised at the idea Horus would lose his spoons, hence the Scrutiny Test to see if he was faking it. It he isn't, it means they haven't heard from the Old Iron Breeches to be swayed to a cause, so there's that.

And while Thorg suspects someone would betray the Emperor, his candidates were outliers that even loyalist players would think were up for it...

As far as you can tell he is genuine.

Waiting for the Salamander to respond before I push things to a head ahead.

Gut feeling is still that they are loyal, so worth giving it one more try to convince them?

Maybe point out that if the traitors come they will do so in force, and the garrison will definitely lose (could maybe use this as a way to discover exactly how big the garrison is?) Then the Astartes and the stockpile are wasted or taken by the enemy.

Also, might be worth pointing out that they aren't going to get any orders from Terra. They said themselves astropathic comms aren't working. They need to make a decision themselves, now.

If that fails, I think we might have to act...

I'm half tempted to leave them to their blockheadedness, satisfied they're loyal, but that could be the Raven Guard in me talking.

However, the mass conveyor is still part of our plans. If we board it and just steal everything useful once we're outside fortress gun range, it could be an option.

I wouldn't say no to another appeal to them, though. Just don't blame me if they push your ice cream into your nose! :tongue:

My preference would be to leave them and attack the transport- it has supplies and would likely be less difficult (ie- fewer marines/fixed weapons emplacements) than the base. A final appeal and then a tactical retreat if rebuffed might be best, for if they are loyal then when they find out through proper channels about the betrayal we may be able to use them.

Edited by Lord_Ikka

That's the trouble, isn't it. If Peturabo (or any IW) turn up, there's a good chance these guys will just follow their orders, become traitors, and hand over the gear. I think we either need to take it (preferable) or torch it (less preferable but still better than leaving it)

If we can find out how many Marines are part of the garrison, maybe it gives us a better idea of our chances? If it's a 10 man squad (which would fit with a Sgt being in charge) almost half are out on the landing pad with us?

11 hours ago, Black Cohort said:

And when the Lord of Iron comes?

4 hours ago, Lysimachus said:

That's the trouble, isn't it. If Peturabo (or any IW) turn up, there's a good chance these guys will just follow their orders, become traitors, and hand over the gear. I think we either need to take it (preferable) or torch it (less preferable but still better than leaving it)

While I'm up for denying Protobono any materiel, I'm wondering if we're plucking the wrong goose. If these boys are loyal, they may be more likely to put up a fight - they said orders from Terra, not Olympia...curious, no? Either way, for now it's in loyalist hands?

Anyhow, blue sky thinking for a second: whatever the IW could get from this fortress is likely a pocketful of buttons compared to plundering 3 Legions corpses. Sure, to us, it's a motherlode, but then so is that conveyor heading out of system we are still worrying about catching, and they might well be traitors...are we wasting time here?

4 hours ago, Lysimachus said:

If we can find out how many Marines are part of the garrison, maybe it gives us a better idea of our chances? If it's a 10 man squad (which would fit with a Sgt being in charge) almost half are out on the landing pad with us?

I'll back the team up with medicae and suppressing fire if we decide to go loud, but I'm not sure about climbing over a heap of loyalist corpses.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

57 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

they said orders from Terra, not Olympia

True, but as far as they know that is the same thing? If more IW turn up, will the garrison still be loyalists or will they let the traitors inside without a shot fired?

On Conveyor vs Garrison, I think the reason we came to the surface first was that we've already got plenty of foodstuffs aboard the Tribute, but we've got no ammo? The Conveyor is carrying agri-world supplies rather than bullets, right?

That said, I guess denying food to the Death Guard is just as useful... but have we got enough bullets to actually carry out the attack?

Hmm, it's a good conundrum, isn't it? Nice work, BC! :thumbsup: :laugh:

Edited by Lysimachus