Heresy PDF Updates

6 hours ago, Stitch5000 said:

Plasma profiles are great at putting wounds on Contemptors.

6 hours ago, Stitch5000 said:

The numbers involved hint that plasma weapons were written with efficiency against Contemptors in mind. 

Yes, plasma is pretty solid against contemptors. Sure, the breach value lines up the best with T7 2+. But the plasma profile isn't the optimal dread killing profile, and certainly not at the fulmentarus points.

They're worse at it than they were before. They're worse at everything than they were before, and you have to ask yourself how a single plasma shot at 36" stacks up against any other plasma/las/melta out there. Equivalent points of ultra plasma support proccing trait averages 5.59 unsaved wounds; the fulmentarus unit proccing trait or targeters average....1.60.

That's terrible. 290 for 1.60 wounds against the target their guns line up best against. That's not optimized for anything but the display shelf.

Fulmentarus could have had the brutal 2 removed and been viable. Or they could have had the out of los removed and been viable, as they would have needed to be in short range and exposed to snipers. Or they could have had the strength reduced to 7 and been viable as there was no instant death threshold.  Or they could have dropped the points by a ton to make up for their really bad output now. Lots of options to make a better result. 

Yeah its still a bit needlessly confusing, you cant ally Mech to mech, but neither knights or titans are allied detachments so you can just take their special detachments, both together if you fancy :D 

Now that psychic powers are no longer available as a reaction makes everything feel better! It is a good nerf.

Telepathy took a bit hit. So there shouldn't be complaints about bringing it anymore! I very much enjoy my thematic shadow caster.

Biomancy stacking was troublesome against thousand sons. If you shot and then charged Sekhmet terminators with a Praetor/Primus Medicae you could be facing down T8+ infantry with FnP and IWND. That's a big plus.

Although Achean Plasma can't use their special enhancement in overwatch or return fire now. That is frustrating.

Pie plating with pyromancy was also a culprit. Especially if you had to charge through 3 - 6 pools of fire. (They still need to confirm if pyromancy is considered flame/melta attacks though)

3 hours ago, TheTrans said:

So, Mechanicum now, officially can't ally with a knight house or a titan legion... seems legit. 

Read, good sir!

A Mechanicum army cannot include an Allied Detachment from any of the other Mechanicum Army Lists as these are not separate Factions or Sub-factions (with reference to the Divisio Tactica – these Detachments are ‘additional’ or ‘optional’ Detachments not an ‘Allied’ Detachments and can be included in any army, however any limitations on total points values of Lords of War units still apply unless another rule states otherwise).

16 minutes ago, Petitioner's City said:

Read, good sir!

I give it a week before people are saying that yes they aren't an allied detachment, but they are picked from the same book and are all nominally mechanicum.

Just needed to say "Knight/Titan detachments only count as mechanicum for the ally matrix and may be taken within an army that has mechanicum as a primary and/or allied detachment".

Edited by TheTrans

Now that psychic powers are no longer available as a reaction makes everything feel better! It is a good nerf.

Telepathy took a bit hit. So there shouldn't be complaints about bringing it anymore! I very much enjoy my thematic shadow caster.

This is absolutely, unfortunately, not true.

You can't use psychic powers used instead of shooting for reactions. But you absolutely can use psychic weapons that are ranged for return fire and overwatch. Telepathic fugue was never a "use instead of shooting" power, so could never be reacted with; Hallucinations is a psychic weapon and can still be reacted with.

Biomancy stacking was troublesome against thousand sons. If you shot and then charged Sekhmet terminators with a Praetor/Primus Medicae you could be facing down T8+ infantry with FnP and IWND. That's a big plus.

It's still troublesome. It's good that you can't power up to skunk an opponents charge, but you can absolutely still do it in your turn (as well as stacking bonus move from pavoni) to steam roll units.

Stripping psychic powers as a reaction is broadly good, but it leaves some things like thaumaturgy in a weird spot where it was only really practically useful being used as a reaction outside of multi-character units. Now you're forced to use it in that context or have it be essentially a single 5+ to heal a single wound; a very underwhelming power.

20 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

This is absolutely, unfortunately, not true.

You can't use psychic powers used instead of shooting for reactions. But you absolutely can use psychic weapons that are ranged for return fire and overwatch. Telepathic fugue was never a "use instead of shooting" power, so could never be reacted with; Hallucinations is a psychic weapon and can still be reacted with.

It's still troublesome. It's good that you can't power up to skunk an opponents charge, but you can absolutely still do it in your turn (as well as stacking bonus move from pavoni) to steam roll units.

Stripping psychic powers as a reaction is broadly good, but it leaves some things like thaumaturgy in a weird spot where it was only really practically useful being used as a reaction outside of multi-character units. Now you're forced to use it in that context or have it be essentially a single 5+ to heal a single wound; a very underwhelming power.

Balancing from the psychic powers was bad from the get go and still is. 

Luckily I don't have anyone nearby who uses librarians so no problem so far.

The Caestus Assault Ram can now as the only vehicle in the game deep strike and let terminators disembark and charge. That is neat. Such a beautiful model and now worth picking again. 

They changed the Tarantuals and made them finally fearless and cheaper which is nice but forgot to give the hyperion missle launchers option a rule that they automatically shoot at flyers if some are on the board.

It is a shame that they can't take Iron Warriors Shrapnel Cannons. That would have made them viable for me but as is they still are pretty bad. 

Both the Avenger Strike Fighter and the Thunderbolt got cheaper which is great because I love both models.

For 150 points I guess the Thunderbolt is the more viable one? More guns, more armor isnbetter although the Avenger got the way cooler corsair look about it. 

For some reason Basilisks and Medusas stayed horrible overcostet. I still don't get why they are at 200 points. 

The Malcador now has the most complicated rule to basically give her Power of the Machine Spirit which is kind of funny. Is it now a viable tank? I don't know.

My man the Minotaur tank is now at 250 instead of 280 amd gained a hull point, which makes an already pretty durable model even more tough.

Still not great, still a laughable weapon for such an expansive (point and money wise) model but since I have started to paint it I am glad for every boost it gets. And if I ever get a second one it also is cheaper with 235 (265). Yeah spending 485 points for two Basilisk shots seems absolutely great. ;) Better than 545 points for sure.

My once glorious Stormsword is now 650 instead of 850 which is of course nice, but her main gun ist still a joke compared to the Typhons Dreadhammer cannon. Rending 4+ vs 5+ and brutal 4 vs brutal 3.

On a tank which still is 225 points cheaper and better armored.

If they gave the Stormsword the same gun I would be cool with its price being a superheavy and and having twice the hullpoints but as is she still stays in her hiding place besides all the other units I can't play anymore.

The Macharius Omega is now 450 which makes her a rely nice super heavy tank. Her main gun is scary and I would definitely take her. The model is also beautiful. 

All in all I am quite happy with how they changed some stuff about the legacy units. And that they didn't nerf the units I play (again). 

5 hours ago, Gorgoff said:

The Macharius Omega is now 450 which makes her a rely nice super heavy tank. Her main gun is scary and I would definitely take her. The model is also beautiful. 

Yeah I'm excited to finish my thousand sons one! Still not sure why it's not an auxilia tank, however (although of course it can be, pick your legion of preference style!)

The big change for psychic powers is that you can't now do Breach the Veil to summon Ka Bandha as an overwatch reaction, blocking the charge and pretty much breaking the game. Some of the other stuff you could do was a bit odd but not all that problematic.

Going through some of these other changes they are often things I never realised were problems to begin with. My favourite is Deathwing companions, who had a bit of wargear that benefited every model in their detachment, rather than just their unit.

On the other hand they've done a rubbish job of fixing Armigers, which is really frustrating. Some of the things that ought to work on them now do, but plenty of them don't. You can now use melta bombs on them but not krak grenades. They really should have come up with a wording like "if a rule affects dreadnoughts it affects Armigers the same way" but instead they have tried (not all that hard) to name-check every similar rule, and inevitably failed.

Edited by Mandragola

1 hour ago, Bung said:

Still not really happy with the Preator Armoured Assault Launcher.

100 Points Cheaper and a 7" Template is nice but i still miss the missle variants from last Edition.

tbh I’m just amazed that the kit is still in production, let alone even vaguely supported with rules.

Worth saying despite it being mildly disappointing, its absolutely a hugely positive move that SG finally got these FAQs done and released, it was a bit of a joke how long some obvious screw ups went unaddressed and even an imperfect FAQ is a step up from neglect that we should encourage. 

3 hours ago, Noserenda said:

Worth saying despite it being mildly disappointing, its absolutely a hugely positive move that SG finally got these FAQs done and released, it was a bit of a joke how long some obvious screw ups went unaddressed and even an imperfect FAQ is a step up from neglect that we should encourage. 

Yeah. I’m happy they did this as it means HH isn’t just left dead in the water. It’s their best setting/game at this point so its semi-unsupported status was a bit worrying. But this, along with the recent new releases has me feeling optimistic.

It is too bad though the only balance pass was done on FAQ units and not much cuase Militia still has some hilariously overcosted stuff. Artillery and Battle cannons still need some kind of breaching or rend cuase like come on. Custodes is still just a massively broken list thanks to them having across the board ap 2 you don't even have a reason to take anything but Guardians. There's other stuff but those are the two most obviously busted elements of the game that need to get fixed and honestly Admech isn't that bad off that a points update can't fix.

20 minutes ago, Varyn said:

It looks like Indomitus terminators only get Line if they’re compulsory troops in PotL RoW, this seems a bit more balanced than Line across the board.

Kinda defeats the purpose of taking them though lol.

22 minutes ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

It is too bad though the only balance pass was done on FAQ units and not much cuase Militia still has some hilariously overcosted stuff. Artillery and Battle cannons still need some kind of breaching or rend cuase like come on. Custodes is still just a massively broken list thanks to them having across the board ap 2 you don't even have a reason to take anything but Guardians. There's other stuff but those are the two most obviously busted elements of the game that need to get fixed and honestly Admech isn't that bad off that a points update can't fix.

Kinda defeats the purpose of taking them though lol.

Well, they get a rending assault cannon without having to be IF or BA and have "Heavy". They have that over Tartaros

Not the biggest of deals, but keeps them the "middleground" between Cataphractii durability and Tartaros mobility by being able to sweeping advance and have "Heavy" too.

Edited by Dark Legionnare