The Art of the Horus Heresy

I like the look of this one:

This visual guide to the Age of Darkness charts the Horus Heresy series across 200+ pages of full-colour cover illustrations, from the hellish betrayal on Isstvan III to the climactic Siege of Terra. Series artist Neil Roberts also adds detailed commentary and reflections of the series as a whole, granting extra insight into the amazing artwork created for such an epic series.

6 hours ago, Nagashsnee said:

So is this just a collection of existing art or is there new stuff too?

Quotes suggest it's just existing art (the covers for the HH series).

It says 200+ pages, and there are near enough a hundred books in the setting.

14 hours ago, lansalt said:

I think this image from the preview shows a remake of the False Gods cover, or at least I've never seen it before.

possiblefalsegodsnewcover.thumb.png.a13ffa4cf5df9ff2e5bb1f574e9521b4.png

Ahw man, new art. Now I have to get it... 

Also wait a gosh darned second: if they're commissioning new art for existing books. Could it be they're planning to do a reprint of the Horus Heresy novels??

Edited by matcap86

As long as it's reasonably priced I may get this to go with the Collected Visions book. That said, I'm assuming this will be all in a fairly similar style - that of the novel covers. The thing I loved about the CV book is that it's a whole range of styles dating back to be before they really set the "rules" of what everything looked like. So there's some weird stuff and random armour and vehicles. It's a proper source of inspiration. This feels more like "a nice art book", which while no bad thing, isn't as exciting.

15 hours ago, Silent Observant said:

It could be the primarch book for Horus artwork. Obviously missing horus rn. They usually have legionaires and take an "action pose" somewhere in the cover.

It won't be as this image is a Roberts work, and it is Mikhail Savier who does the Primarch series covers 

On 12/12/2023 at 4:33 AM, matcap86 said:

Ahw man, new art. Now I have to get it... 

Also wait a gosh darned second: if they're commissioning new art for existing books. Could it be they're planning to do a reprint of the Horus Heresy novels??

I really like that new piece, but I also can't help but wonder if they're commissioning or "redoing" older book covers to match the new models so that way people don't see a bunch of old kits on the covers of their biggest series only to find out that's not what the models look like anymore and they can't buy them

35 minutes ago, darkhorse0607 said:

I really like that new piece, but I also can't help but wonder if they're commissioning or "redoing" older book covers to match the new models so that way people don't see a bunch of old kits on the covers of their biggest series only to find out that's not what the models look like anymore and they can't buy them

Maybe though the false gods cover never really approached the look from any horus heresy model. Being more of an amalgamation of Mk4, mk7 and with godwyn pattern bolters. Still cool art though. 

N176VYD.jpg.f6520f7f9825d1923823d7eea7a734a0.jpg

False Gods was the only cover not done by Neil Roberts (it was Phil Sibbering f I recall correctly), so it makes sense if they gave Neil the opportunity to have his own go at this one cover, so he can 'complete the set' for the whole series. I expect it's the only new one.