The Art of the Horus Heresy

1 hour ago, ThePenitentOne said:

Like the game it's based on, this book could use some aliens

Ironic, because there are several HH covers with marines fighting xenos in 30k unlike the FW game.

For those who don't own any art books yet (due to price and availability on release) is it better to try and pick this up, or to simply bite the bullet and buy old books second hand?

10 minutes ago, pawl said:

For those who don't own any art books yet (due to price and availability on release) is it better to try and pick this up, or to simply bite the bullet and buy old books second hand?

Very different books I think. Most of the older ones have more variety and different sources of art. This is fancy versions of all the covers as far as I can tell.

I hadn't actually appreciated the content of the book - this is just the Neil Roberts cover art, not the Collected Visions artwork (which originally came from the TCG)

So @pawlthe answer to that question is what you are after really, if you like the HH book cover art and Neil's style then this would be the one to go for. If you like the Collected Visions art (from the TCG) then you'll need one of the older books. As quite a few different artists were involved in that the style can vary quiet a lot, although it does have some big names involved.(Adrian Smith etc). Had a quick look on the 'bay and the prices are starting to get silly now though! I've uploaded a couple of images below to give some samples of the art from that book

url(69).jpg

converted-ultramarine-recon-marines-based-on-the-classic-v0-z1pz2l4sy4g91.jpg

tumblr_inline_oy33ih0uXs1qbnjfz_1280.jpg

15 minutes ago, sarabando said:

on a related note id buy a book with all the art from the current legions card game in a heart beat. 

A good portion of that art is from the Collected Visions books (and originally the TCG) so you would need one of those books and an expensive eBay purchase to get those.

1 hour ago, Pacific81 said:

A good portion of that art is from the Collected Visions books (and originally the TCG) so you would need one of those books and an expensive eBay purchase to get those.

To be fair the prices I've seen for Collected Visions & Visions of Heresy aren't quite as bad as I thought they might be (in the UK anyway). Certainly in comparison to the prices of some of the Black Books. I've given up completing my collection of them. 

They spike on occasion. I snagged mine for £30 some years back, whereas I've seen them hit £200 minimum on occasion since HH2E released.

You might have better look visiting a used book store, in all earnesty. I've snagged a few older art books (Warhammer Online and The Art of Warhammer 40,000) doing that.

The collected visions book oozes character and defined the setting. That and the occasional old white dwarf art were the heresy for visual purposes for many many many years. They seeped into everything from minis to the BL books plots.  The book covers love them or hate them had nowhere near the same impact on anything really. They were just book covers. 

3 hours ago, Pacific81 said:

i already have collected visions and visons vol 4 separate. There's ALOT of newer art however that is not in there. 

2 hours ago, sarabando said:

i already have collected visions and visons vol 4 separate. There's ALOT of newer art however that is not in there. 

Ah is that new art that was done for the black books then, after Collected Visions? Or is that referring to the new art that was created by Neil Roberts and used for the Heresy book series?

1 hour ago, Pacific81 said:

Ah is that new art that was done for the black books then, after Collected Visions? Or is that referring to the new art that was created by Neil Roberts and used for the Heresy book series?

I think Sarabando means a lot of new art from the Legions card game that hasn't been printed elsewhere.

I think this will have plenty of new stuff even for those of us who have Visions of Heresy ( my edition is from 2014, they did another updated one in 2018 and that was the last one I believe, as I check Amazon on this).  Plus this will have detailed descriptions for some paintings and it will have art from novellas as well.

So I would like to have this, and Visions of Heresy both.

1 hour ago, Phantomworks said:

Happy for those who got it. I was 30 mins late and they are all gone. Curse GW and their pre-order stupidity and FOMO generation tactics. 

There's a lot of FLGS and online stores with stock, might need to check around a bit. I saw Eirehobbies is still showing in stock. (no experience with them though). 

37 minutes ago, Matcap86 said:

There's a lot of FLGS and online stores with stock, might need to check around a bit. I saw Eirehobbies is still showing in stock. (no experience with them though). 

Eirehobbies are great, very good customer service. Any issues I've had, they've followed up and resolved very quickly, including issues with courier delivery. If you're in ROI, they're well worth checking out.

I tried to purchase the Art of the Horus Heresy. When it was available on the website every time I tried to add it to my cart I got an "insufficient stock remaining" message. I checked again just now and it says "sold out online". As usual they are already on ebay for $200. Great job GW.

32 minutes ago, Typhonian said:

I tried to purchase the Art of the Horus Heresy. When it was available on the website every time I tried to add it to my cart I got an "insufficient stock remaining" message. I checked again just now and it says "sold out online". As usual they are already on ebay for $200. Great job GW.

I ran into the same issue this morning when I was contemplating buying this one along with the issue of the store logging me out on mobile and desktop after logging in. 10 minutes after it went up I got the "insufficient stock" message. I already own a copy of Collected Visions so this doesn't bother me much, but it's pretty terrible for anyone who wanted to get this at release price.