Heresy Thursday - Mark V & VI Legion Apothecaries

Welp the mark V guy looks stellar. Said it before if they end up having to do them in resin instead of plastic I'll still buy a bunch. Always viewed it as a stop gap field replacement mark and not something you'd see in huge numbers anyway. The smaller more numerous studs on the shoulder is a nice retro nod as is the round belt buckle. Glad they didn't go full iron diaper pattern.

Edited by OttoVonAwesome

5 hours ago, de Selby said:

It's ugly as sin, I love it. Looking forward to seeing the standard version without the apothecary modifications.

Overall just a nice release, wish it was plastic ;)

The helmet is a good bit ugly, exactly how it should be. I'm not after MK V for it to be pretty and proper.

Plastic would have been nice, but I'll take resin kits for single-entity models like these.

Will echo that these are lovely.

On one hand I will mourn the old kits but on the other hand I had plenty and I am pleased to have the new marks as an excuse to buff out both my old detachments and to incorporate them into my newer legions!

Now give us MKIII and Termi apoths you cowards!

Jokes aside, I wonder how modular the sculpts will be? An annoyance with the old kits was the attached heads.

1 hour ago, StrangerOrders said:

Will echo that these are lovely.

On one hand I will mourn the old kits but on the other hand I had plenty and I am pleased to have the new marks as an excuse to buff out both my old detachments and to incorporate them into my newer legions!

Now give us MKIII and Termi apoths you cowards!

Jokes aside, I wonder how modular the sculpts will be? An annoyance with the old kits was the attached heads.

These new kits, in my experience, are quite modular.  The Champion model in particular was an easy build and the arms and helmet were optional.  Even the resin is awesome.  I think they changed from their old resin

Edited by Mike8404

10 minutes ago, Mike8404 said:

These new kits, in my experience, are quite modular.  The Champion model in particular was an easy build and the arms and helmet were optional.  Even the resin is awesome.  I think they changed from their old resin

Completely. I had Lucius and the 2 EC praetors last year, all excellent. Fulgrim Transfigured, also excellent.

This new resin is great. They also aren't priced so differently that for one offs I don't mind.

Especially as making plastic molds is such a hefty outlay for GW compared with FW resin which is why we've had so many consuls and praetor types over this year.

Honestly, current resin shouldn't put people off, especially for solo models. I would understand the apprehension of a whole army but the current.gen is excellent.

The older resin could have this almost greasy feel, even after scrubbing it a lot with soap water. Over the past two or three years, it's moved to a nice dry resin, which is quite nice to work with from my experience. I don't know if that makes sense at all, but tactilely is the only easy way I can describe it. It also holds paint a lot better.

1 hour ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

The older resin could have this almost greasy feel, even after scrubbing it a lot with soap water. Over the past two or three years, it's moved to a nice dry resin, which is quite nice to work with from my experience. I don't know if that makes sense at all, but tactilely is the only easy way I can describe it. It also holds paint a lot better.

That permanent greasy feel was cuase you'd get things that werent cured properly. Soft and spongy sometimes too but it's been a long time since Ive gotten a kit like that. Something was def up with the resins it seemed like they were playing around alot with them in the older days and have now seemed to have figured it all out. Also how cool are the retro ear muffs on the MK 6 apothecary? Took a bit to notice but I love it. Also love they have more relaxed poses like they are watching over the squad.

57 minutes ago, Cyrox said:

Yeah I don't get the anger that some people have when it comes to resin, the new stuff is great - we are a long way from the old spongy FW kits full of bubbles, and of course Finecast. 

I suspect a lot of the anger / irritation comes from people massively misunderstanding / misremembering Games Workshop's statement on WarCom just prior to the edition regarding new models, updates and so forth.

In fact, now is the perfect time to get started with The Horus Heresy. While many general kits in the range will be moving to plastic, there aren’t currently any such plans for the Legion-specific units or Primarchs. So, if you haven’t yet picked a side, you could do worse than collecting your chosen Primarch or other mighty hero in anticipation of a plastic Legion for them to lead.

Many being the operative word. They were quite earnest that not everything will bounce across to plastic. It is a shame in some regards, as a five man box of plastic Legion Apothecaries would've gone down a treat.

1 hour ago, Cyrox said:

Yeah I don't get the anger that some people have when it comes to resin, the new stuff is great - we are a long way from the old spongy FW kits full of bubbles, and of course Finecast. 

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer a plastic kit, but the new resin is decent.

We are still not to away to the "resin tax", also resin models are not available from retailers with discount prices 

16 minutes ago, Handsome Fred said:

We are still not to away to the "resin tax", also resin models are not available from retailers with discount prices 

I'm just happy I can order to them in the warhammer store now and pay cash skip shipping and don't have to worry about porch pirates. 

3 hours ago, Waaagh? said:

The price gap is pretty close now tbh and given this is a two pack I'd bet it's cheaper than buying two plastic 40k apothecary models even with discount. 

Odd, I can buy a 40k Death Guard character model for 15 squid, my Vheren from GW direct was 36 squid.  Not sure how that's pretty close.  Both had free shipping before that is mentioned.  Yes, this duo may be cheaper than a pair of individual plastics as you say.

I'd prefer plastic due to price, availability as well as potential options that could be added to a sprue. Thankfully the bulk of many units are now in plastic making the odd single character purcgase or this duo not as bad.

I do hope for a new mkiii version now since they did a nice job with these.

Edited by infyrana

They're pretty close in the US. A Black Templar Marshal is $35, but an Ultramarines Legion Praetor is $43. FW has gone through a price increase or two to get there. Around two years ago, there's was like a dollar or two difference, which shows how wild GW character prices have gotten.

Either way, they're much closer to each other than $200 for a squad of 20 FW MK V is to the $80/$75 a new 20-man tactical squad is.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Weirdly the Necromunda Squat characters are actually cheaper than the plastic Votann HQs. Both are Space Dwarfs released in 2022/2023 (and the Squats come with those cute bot things too) Newer plastics have definitely been creeping up faster on resin characters. Granted, newer plastics do have a LFGS discount, but the gulf between prices on newer stuff isn't what it once was.

I think if FW were more willing to take advantage of the extra detail that resin can afford, it would be a easier pill to swallow, but the £27.50 I paid for the new Champion Consul isn't quite the eyewateringly insane gulf it once was next to more recent plastic characters.

Edited by Lord Marshal