Heresy Thursday - Mark V & VI Legion Apothecaries

1 hour ago, infyrana said:

Odd, I can buy a 40k Death Guard character model for 15 squid, my Vheren from GW direct was 36 squid.  Not sure how that's pretty close.  Both had free shipping before that is mentioned.  Yes, this duo may be cheaper than a pair of individual plastics as you say.

I'd prefer plastic due to price, availability as well as potential options that could be added to a sprue. Thankfully the bulk of many units are now in plastic making the odd single character purcgase or this duo not as bad.

I do hope for a new mkiii version now since they did a nice job with these.

To be fair you've picked two extremes there (Ashuraddon is weirdly expensive compared to similar recent FW releases of the same size) and I'm not saying there isn't a gap but there's less of one when than when it used to be.

For example a Resin legion specific terminator praetor is £32.50 and the new Plastic Chaplain in terminator armour is £26. £6.50 is a much smaller gap than once upon a time and I think in some countries the gaps even smaller. 

Edited by Waaagh?

3 hours ago, Waaagh? said:

To be fair you've picked two extremes there (Ashuraddon is weirdly expensive compared to similar recent FW releases of the same size) and I'm not saying there isn't a gap but there's less of one when than when it used to be.

For example a Resin legion specific terminator praetor is £32.50 and the new Plastic Chaplain in terminator armour is £26. £6.50 is a much smaller gap than once upon a time and I think in some countries the gaps even smaller. 

True, but then, as mentioned by another, the store discounts play a part.  The plastic Chaplain Terminator is also 6 squid cheaper than you list because of game store discounts.  Now if these resin characters could get that treatment too, we'd be on much better grounds :)

I am hoping this twin pack will be less than Vheren, but I know I'm already laughing at myself for the thought if it lol.

13 hours ago, Cyrox said:

Yeah I don't get the anger that some people have when it comes to resin, the new stuff is great - we are a long way from the old spongy FW kits full of bubbles, and of course Finecast. 

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer a plastic kit, but the new resin is decent.

It´s not only the material. GW stores can´t order products from Forge World and my 3rd party retailer won´t do it either here in Germany. This means I am not able to purchase anything reserved for Forge World.

2 hours ago, Deus_Ex_Machina said:

It´s not only the material. GW stores can´t order products from Forge World and my 3rd party retailer won´t do it either here in Germany. This means I am not able to purchase anything reserved for Forge World.

You can order FW stuff from Warhammer stores now.

When you say you are "not able to purchase anything", do you not have a Debit/Credit card? 

I feel like online shopping on the whole is pretty common these days.

18 hours ago, JayJapanB said:

You can order FW stuff from Warhammer stores now.

When you say you are "not able to purchase anything", do you not have a Debit/Credit card? 

I feel like online shopping on the whole is pretty common these days.

When I visited my local GW store today (rebranded to Warhammer) the manager indeed confirmed this. That´s great news as I can at last get my hands on those sexy Iron Hands heads for 30K. 

I have never liked MKV but if GW produce that in plastic I am going to have to start another Legion.

World Eaters. I think everyone agrees that there is something about MKV and World Eaters that just makes the nails sing.

I think if they drop plastic Mk V I would end up using them for something like a Badab War Marines Errant force, or something along those lines. I love the design, but (ironically, despite the name) I tend to associate mark V with post-heresy for some reason. Either way, I’d be picking some of them up.

2 hours ago, Corswain said:

I have never liked MKV but if GW produce that in plastic I am going to have to start another Legion.

World Eaters. I think everyone agrees that there is something about MKV and World Eaters that just makes the nails sing.

Yeah World Eaters are perfect for MKV but I was thinking....if they ever do another starter with MKV, what loyalist legion would fit well against them to showcase MKV and still be thematically fitting?

On 12/21/2023 at 5:39 PM, Gamiel said:

You do know the stud bindings were not something really standardised, right? And it's established that every armour mark comes in different patterns. 

Agreed. Plus, while the "many small studs" might not match the old resin kit perfectly, I think some of the old Index Astartes pics looked exactly like this.

Mk5power-armor.jpg

I also like the symmetrical chest cabling, as compared to the asymmetrical cabling on the old kit (some had an extra thin cable above the lower thick cable on the right, some had one above the lower thick cable on the left, but this one has two thin cables, one on each side, above the thick cables).

Edited by Iron Lord

3 hours ago, RedFox said:

Yeah World Eaters are perfect for MKV but I was thinking....if they ever do another starter with MKV, what loyalist legion would fit well against them to showcase MKV and still be thematically fitting?

Any of the shattered legions, Black shields, Ultramarines. Those are the guys who were most likely to have alot of it.

6 hours ago, Daylight said:

I think if they drop plastic Mk V I would end up using them for something like a Badab War Marines Errant force, or something along those lines. I love the design, but (ironically, despite the name) I tend to associate mark V with post-heresy for some reason. Either way, I’d be picking some of them up.

Totally.
The more mainline heresy gets, I can't help but start looking at another direction to take things in.
Like converting a new Deimos into a Razorback with a turret gunner. That could be a fun project.

image.thumb.png.447fdbff7896ce6158aba9f8b891dee1.png

15 hours ago, RedFox said:

Salamanders and Iron Hands are stated to have used a lot of MKV due to losses at Istvaan.

Honestly due to the relative small scale of forces in the game when compared to legion sizes any faction has legit reasons to include mk 5 imho. They can represent whatever niche detachment you want. Aside from the obvious shattered legions, you have imperial fist castellan forces cut off from main supply routes doing holding actions. Roving Dark Angel bands that didn't catch up to the main legion force in Thramas. White Scars outriders which are famous for being hard to track down for logistics. Space Wolves which take a battering at several points, but refuse to back down and recuperate. Baal system defence forces that need to make do with whatever is on hand. Calth ultramarine forces that got stuck underground and have to juryrig their equipment.

The lore is your oyster!

34 minutes ago, Lord Marshal said:

Salamanders and Iron Hands are stated to have used a lot of MKV due to losses at Istvaan.

Salamanders are probably a good shout.

If we want to eliminate previous pairs, out are: Space Wolves v Thousand Sons (Prospero), Ultramarines v Word Bearers (Calth), Imperial Fists v Sons of Horus (HH2.0), Iron Hands vs Death Guard (Legiones Imperialis - though the IH are not really shown off, they're on the transfer sheet, &c).

Of those left, Raven Guard are (obviously) intertwined with MkVI, while Dark Angels and White Scars (to my mind) pair well with MkII, and Blood Angels with MkIV.

Additionally, the one Warhammer Community article image of the legions had Salamanders (and Alpha Legion) in MkV. (Not that we should take that as a hint or anything - it has Imperial Fists in MkIII, &c.)

AllAstartes06.thumb.jpg.f0916adebab70ab1a23860c1bde65e75.jpg

On 12/24/2023 at 3:57 AM, JayJapanB said:

Totally.
The more mainline heresy gets, I can't help but start looking at another direction to take things in.
Like converting a new Deimos into a Razorback with a turret gunner. That could be a fun project.

image.thumb.png.447fdbff7896ce6158aba9f8b891dee1.png

image.thumb.png.298ccf43c23f22639ae46f5ccff2f9de.png

Also the apothecary miniatures are sick. The Mk V is UGLY but I MUST have it!

Edited by roryokane