Horus Heresy in 2024

49 minutes ago, Waaagh? said:

Because we don't know if it's a MK3 command squad or not. Given this fella was previewed alone and during a period where lots of Consuls are getting released there's a good chance he's just a Herald Consul. 

For all we know the command squad is in MK6. 

Don't get me wrong I'd be happy if he was part of the command squad and it was MK3 but that might not be the case. 

That was my first thought when I saw him, I think he's probably a resin Herald as well as part of the current run of Consuls. I'd imagine if they did go MK VI plastics that the intention would be to use the arms on the MK III separately with the add on vambraces.

Plastic Solar infantry would be amazing.

Having examined the mk III guys arms from several angles, the additional vambrace plates dont look quite flush with the arm itself like the actual Mk. III arms. They seem to stick out a bit, which leads me to believe that the arms are the "mk agnostic" arms with the roundels that have had the vambraces glued onto em.

That, and the pose being just about identical to one of the tactical squad poses lends credence to this being an upgrade sprue intended to be used with the existing mk. III and VI squads. I really hope it's not the case, 'cause beyond wanting a greater variety of poses, I was planning on getting multiple command squad kits and using hypothetical blinged up marine bodies imagined it would include to make veterans, sergeants, etc.

This "command squad" being an upgrade sprue would be pretty lame but in keeping with the.... "economical" approach gw has taken with the HH plastic releases.

The reason I reckon he's part of a Command Squad is because from what little we can squint at, he seems to be in pretty standard-issue MKIII. 

You know how with every Consul release, people now say their Artificer Armour "looks like a copyright avoiding 3D print model"? It stands to reason the Command Squad, even though they're also in Artificer, probably don't have as individualised designs - if only to make swapping bits around easier.

Of course, until we see him in the full it's all just guesswork, but that's my theory anyway. Last year they included the resin Librarian in the teasers, so it's not out of the question.

Edited by Lord Marshal

The new walker doesn't look right to me. The shield appears to obscure the driver's view and the centerline weapon looks like it has no articulation at all. I don't like the Heavy Sentinel either, it looks like a refrigerator on legs with a gun that can only slightly move up or down on a vehicle that looks like it can't turn quickly. The plastic Rifle Section trooper looks fine, but it's too early to tell.

Damn, the command squad being an upgrade for the tacticals would be deeply sad. Its entirely possible a command squad might be a mix of armours either way given the nature of a bunch of veterans pulled together.

Solar Auxilla isnt the worst thing the mystery army could have been, but using a kit to make slightly smaller Iron striders barely different from sentinels feels very petty

Just now, Noserenda said:

Solar Auxilla isnt the worst thing the mystery army could have been, but using a kit to make slightly smaller Iron striders barely different from sentinels feels very petty

Both Solar Auxilia walkers we have seen so far look like complete downgrades to the Sentinel in almost every aspect. I guess Imperial technological regression isn't that bad if they lost the technical specifications for the fridge on legs and the walking multilaser death trap.

I hate all those light walkers across sci-fi universes and I'm already hating this one. I don't like the whole mechanical steed vibe coming from a walker with completly exposed driver and it doesn't work with a single ranged weapons attached to the front at all, just like Sydonian Dragoon looks better than Ironstrider - and I'm still not a massive fan of Dragoons.

19 minutes ago, twopounder said:

Its a throwback to the original sentinel:

They should have thrown back to the original original guard sentinel!

But I like the looks of this one just fine. I’d be psyched for plastic aux, and I want to combine them with necromunda stuff to make a penal cohort.

IMG_3349.png

3 hours ago, Marshal Rohr said:

They showed the scout sentinel. The did not show the Heavy Sentinel. The light walket is entirely new and had not been on the roadmap. 

I mean, I know it's not the heavy sentinel, hence me calling it a scout sentinel. Neither are explicitly on the roadmap, but they are both part of the "mystery army" that everyone guessed was Solar Aux when it was shown. Like I said, the sentinel is an example of a good teaser as it's something genuinely new and unexpected. The heavy sentinel was more expected, but is still a new unit for the range/game and has a bunch of interest behind it due to its Li appearance. 

A marine command squad isn't. It's very expected, because the roadmap told us to expect it. Doing a teaser silhouette for a unit we know is coming doesn't generate the same level of interest. That's also why I mentioned the apothecaries, since they weren't roadmapped, and people liked their full reveal a lot.

1 hour ago, Noserenda said:

Damn, the command squad being an upgrade for the tacticals would be deeply sad. Its entirely possible a command squad might be a mix of armours either way given the nature of a bunch of veterans pulled together.

I wouldnt say its just slightly smaller

walkerseverywhere.jpg.ead22680c59f5962a9c62a3ffb37763d.jpg

I do think its off a little bit here. ( I also fully understand now why I got skitari vibes )

Imho it seems basically to Sentinels/Ironstriders what Wraithguard are to wraithlords or Terminators to Dreadnoughts, I think it might also be squad based not solo based.

I dont think its based on the older sentinels in any meaningful way, other than being a walker with a central gun, the pilot is mounted completely differently and even gets a single armour plate :D 

Im torn on the scale (Which is very similar to the egg sentinel :P ) if accurate and not thrown by the distorted image; On the one hand it would be crap if they are meant to be a sentinel, but on the other hand the idea could work alright for a heavy weapons team replacement, slower and keeping pace with the infantry. 

Tracked guns would be better, but i understand they dont want to be rapiers! 

1 hour ago, Astartes Consul said:

I can dream...

Doh, I thought it was 'Winter 2023' not just 'Winter'

Winter 2023 covers the period that starts with winter in December 2023 and ends at the end of February 2024.

Its the way most the fashion industry and most of the retail industry refer to seasonality contiguously in a way that makes sense, referring to the winter period by the year it started in.

Otherwise Winter 2023 would mean January, February and December of that year, two periods disconnected by 10 months, would be confusing for release schedules :laugh:

Edited by Robbienw

6 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

I dont think its based on the older sentinels in any meaningful way, other than being a walker with a central gun, the pilot is mounted completely differently and even gets a single armour plate :D 

Im torn on the scale (Which is very similar to the egg sentinel :P ) if accurate and not thrown by the distorted image; On the one hand it would be crap if they are meant to be a sentinel, but on the other hand the idea could work alright for a heavy weapons team replacement, slower and keeping pace with the infantry. 

Tracked guns would be better, but i understand they dont want to be rapiers! 

I would have been content with them just making the old Sentinel the new Solar Auxilia Sentinel. The recent updated Sentinel kit has been a disappointment and a downgrade in everything except pilot proportions. Out of the box it has incredibly limited poseability and its "neck" joint is inferior to the old one.

Big fan of the recent Mark III redesign, but as a beakie fanatic I'd be disappointed if the command squad isn't in Mark VI to continue the 2.0 range's theme. An upgrade sprue or unit with a variety of armour patterns in it would be great compromises though to keep people with different preferences happy. Hopefully we don't have to wait long to find out.

49 minutes ago, Marshal Loss said:

Big fan of the recent Mark III redesign, but as a beakie fanatic I'd be disappointed if the command squad isn't in Mark VI to continue the 2.0 range's theme. An upgrade sprue or unit with a variety of armour patterns in it would be great compromises though to keep people with different preferences happy. Hopefully we don't have to wait long to find out.

As a beakie enjoyer but also someone who likes the MKIII update a lot I'm hoping we just get see two distinct sets. Maybe each set can have some flashy options unique to each armour type.

4 hours ago, Bryan Blaire said:

That SA walker definitely has a stunted Ironstrider influence/influencer/repurposing to it - which is cool, because maybe you could mix some parts to make more unique unit for SA or Mechanicus.

Depending on the price I was thinking of possibly using these as ironstriders to further differentiate them from my dragoons, and kit bashing some of the SA infrantry as skits.