Deathwatch: Murderers in Black (OOC Thread)

Lysimachus

52 minutes ago, Mike Zulu said:

@Lysimachus Thanks, all understood. I was hoping for at least one Rhino-chassis vehicle, but alas...

• I suppose there isn't any Land Speeders, either?

If I may humbly petition our beneficent and understanding GM, :angel: a Land Speeder Storm is Initiate Rank and can carry four Marines...and maybe if two of the lads or so were already up there guiding the floaty boat in..? :tongue:

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Posted (edited)

I was thinking you'd have to hoof it out to the crash site. However, as you said, you need to get there ASAP before any Orks (or spores) can start spreading out and escaping into other parts of Alucar. So it's certainly a reasonable idea that you'd use a vehicle to travel the 60ish kloms to site.

Hmm…

I suppose if there were 3 Bikes in the Armoury and a LS Storm with 6 spaces aboard, that would be sufficient to get the 9 PCs where they need to be quite a bit faster? All the Astartes have Drive: Ground Vehicle to cover whoever used the Bikes… and more importantly Alda has Drive: Hover Vehicle, so you do actually have someone who can be pilot for the LS Storm…

That said, I should clarify that this would just be a transport thing in narrative time, not a whole bunch of extra weapons that might unbalance a possible Structured Time scene (which I've only just started to plan out as it's an off-the-cuff, player instigated, extra bit! :rolleyes::laugh:)

I guess we could explain that as getting to the crash site ASAP, but then ditching the vehicles for the last mile or two, either due to terrain or to sneak up on any Ork survivors? (Which could be the opportunity for Azadth to do some sneaking if he wishes?)

If you're all happy moving forward on that basis, we'll assume there are 3 Bikes and also a LS Storm somewhere in the Armoury?

Edited by Lysimachus

@Mike Zulu you may feel free to use the ugly and snarky son-of-a-gun at your leisure, but you do pretty much have cart blanche to create and name minor NPCs (particularly those that lurk entirely in the background of scenes) to taste 'round these parts. 

@Lysimachus please, dear beneficent GM, let there be Astartes attack bikes with sidecars. There are few things as awesome and iconic as a group of space marines mounted upon their iron steeds charging into battle. Unless, of course, you wished to grant us a metal box. 

Edited by Necronaut

1 hour ago, Lysimachus said:

That said, I should clarify that this would just be a transport thing in narrative time, not a whole bunch of extra weapons that might unbalance a possible Structured Time scene (which I've only just started to plan out as it's an off-the-cuff, player instigated, extra bit! :rolleyes::laugh:)

You heard him, men! We can't use them weapons but we can run the bastards over!

Stick 'em with the pointy end! :pirate:

You joust? in 2021 | Jousting, Sidecar, Super 4

Posted (edited)

:sigh:

Pict-capture: Lysimachus trying to run a PBP DW game, circa m.3

cats-herding.gif

:laugh:

Edit: @Necronaut if there is a Speeder Storm, I am assuming anyone with a jump pack is going in the troop compartment of that, cos riding a bike while wearing a JP is just mental! :laugh:

Edited by Lysimachus

42 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

@Necronaut if there is a Speeder Storm, I am assuming anyone with a jump pack is going in the troop compartment of that, cos riding a bike while wearing a JP is just mental! :laugh:

I'm not seeing the problem here. :cool:

Edited by Necronaut

I was debating a couple of kits depending on how much mountaineering I'll be doing (a bit, with luck):

Gebirgsjäger kit:

SpecAmmo (Stalker) (0)

Telescopic Sight (6)

Drop Harness (4)

Cameleoline Tarp (5)

Req: 15 (18)

Steal 3 Req for Grapnel or similar Climbing tools.

Shoot'n'Scoot kit:

SpecAmmo (Metal Storm/Hellfire) (0)

Astartes Cluster Mines (5)

Stummer (5)

Cameleoline Tarp (5)

Req: 15 (18)

Steal 3 Req for 3 x Extra Frag grenades.

Thoughts, folks?

2 hours ago, Necronaut said:

@Lysimachus you missed missed my request for a suit of TDA, a combi-melta and an iron halo. No worries though, I know we're all busy. ;)

Ah, I guess we'll have to do that next time... :laugh:

@Mazer Rackham

I think either looks solid. I'd maybe go for Kraken if I was planning to go long ranged sniper duty...? Much easier to find an extra 5 Req for the Stalker Bolts?

What's the plan for the camo tarp? I assume it's not just a sneaky way to get a Cameleoline Cloak for 15 Req cheaper than it should be... :tongue:

2 hours ago, Lysimachus said:

I think either looks solid. I'd maybe go for Kraken if I was planning to go long ranged sniper duty...? Much easier to find an extra 5 Req for the Stalker Bolts?

I'm mainly trying to stay inside the 15 Req limit, so I'm debating that one. Hellfire would likely be a better freebie on long range, TBH, since the Telescopic sight removes range penalties with an Aim action, and remaining undetected should allow for Surprise to last a little longer. There's the Mk IX Ultra sniper rifle at 25 Req, but that wastes the SpecAmmo and Bolter Mastery perks, even if it does give Accurate and Toxic.

2 hours ago, Lysimachus said:

What's the plan for the camo tarp? I assume it's not just a sneaky way to get a Cameleoline Cloak for 15 Req cheaper than it should be... :tongue:

Yes and no - it comes as a 5x5m square, which I'll narratively hack to 3x3m. Once that's done, it'll require a Half Action to deploy/gather and will give me +20 Conceal overall. It's a sniper and ambuscade hide. It looks cheap and sly compared to the Cloak, but the Camo Cloak is always 'on', and also moves Range brackets for me being shot at (Point Blank becomes Short Range, Short becomes Standard, etc).

I think the kit choice will essentially depend on the terrain.

On 3/29/2024 at 12:08 PM, Mazer Rackham said:

That's all cool cheers :cool: - but the reason I ask, is because you mentioned a few posts ago we're set in M38, and those rounds (Kraken/Hellfire) haven't been invented yet...?

Some took Kraken Penetration Rounds circa M. 31 in Plunder IIRC 

Forgive silent running as I've been Monstering for a Larp. Will post on Tuesday. 

Asterius will just Req another Chainsword

Ok, 2 days to go on this bit. Assuming Azadth takes his full 15 on one of the sets above, that leaves us with 38 Req unspent. Is there anything else anyone wants? I think Necro mentioned a Hand Flamer and Mazer had a few possible extras? Might as well if there isn't anything else!

Oh, and Tac Marines all need to pick their free SIA clip!

Add it to the sheet, or list stuff here and I'll transfer it over. :thumbsup:

You can mount a cyclone missile launcher on top of a jump pack, right? :P

Pencil me in for a hand flamer and a mag of kraken rounds or equivalent. 

Edit: I'm going to nominate Azadth or perhaps our plucky Salamander for missile launcher duty. 

Edited by Necronaut

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Necronaut said:

You can mount a cyclone missile launcher on top of a jump pack, right? :P

While riding a Bike? Of course! :biggrin:

Ok, seems like a few people think a ML is a good pick so I'll pencil that in too. No problem with Zidemi carrying it, if you like we can fluff it as mounted to a backpack hardpoint like a Servo-Arm or something?

Edit: I'm a bit unclear on what missiles a ML comes with... I know it says unlimited, but that doesn't make much sense to me? I was thinking about using the ammo 'rule of 3', but it has a Clip size of 8, so I'm going to add a couple and assume it has 4 Frag and 4 Krak (given that the 40k game version has always been able to fire both), which is still pretty good for only 10 Req.

Speaking of, I actually haven't quite decided about standard ammo for the game. Does anyone have any thoughts about whether the rule of 3 is a good/bad/indifferent thing?

Edited by Lysimachus

I'm cool with rule of three, have been working on it as a basis, TBF. The Astartes Shot Selector carries three magazines, so Tacmen should have six magazines (with any SpecAmmo replacing one of those), with three pistol and one on board.

Longer missions will force shot choices and we can share ammo like a real team, so I have no qualms.

I can see where Necro is going with his ideas...

Spoiler

Image result for chuck norris delta force bike

Whereas I'm more...

Spoiler

Image result for clint eastwood, where eagles dare, mountain climbing

I'll pack for mountaineering, and I have capacity for a pre-loaded Armourbane. It appeals to my long range recon vibe. I'll add the final kit list to the googledoc.

Real time Ork vox-recording, M.38:

Spoiler

NANI? IS SNIPERU BAZOOKA!!

Edited by Mazer Rackham