Deathwatch: Murderers in Black (OOC Thread)

Lysimachus

Posted (edited)

As far as I can see, Hellfire is 25 Req with no Renown requirements, so it could be your freebie pick? (Unless that is errata'd, but I can't see it anywhere? Let me know if I've missed it!)

So you could take Hellfire, Kraken*, Metal Storm, or Stalker.

*Don't forget Kraken was errata'd to be 15 Req, not 5 as the crb shows. Doesn't matter for the Tac's free pick, but it might for other Req choices.

Edit: and purely for AT/Omoc's benefit, though I'm sure he remembers better than I do, the Errata also says that HB clips are +5 Req, or +15 Req if they are for a Backpack Ammo feed (which I think is standard for a Dev's gun?)

Edited by Lysimachus

Derp, that was dumb of me... :facepalm:

Ok, hmm...

I don't want to penalise anyone purely because of the time period of the game, so if you want to take either of those Round types, go ahead. We'll assume they are other variants that have similar effects (e.g. a different Penetrator Round, etc), or they are still at the experimental stages or something?

26 minutes ago, A.T. said:

Are deathwatch 'infernus' pattern heavy bolters an option?  Heavy flamers are 15 req and Omoc already has the heavy bolter element as starting wargear.

I'm very much inclined to say yes, because they are damn cool.

@Mazer Rackham How did Akkad's Infernus get run in Blackthorn? Were there any negatives imposed for being able to carry both weapons together?

Maybe I might say that if the HF is Req'd by a Dev with a HB then it is considered to be an Infernus... but that because of space/weight requirements, neither weapon is considered to have a Backpack Ammo supply? Does that sound reasonable?

40 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

Maybe I might say that if the HF is Req'd by a Dev with a HB then it is considered to be an Infernus... but that because of space/weight requirements, neither weapon is considered to have a Backpack Ammo supply? Does that sound reasonable?

IIRC the deathwatch models don't have backpack supplies either.

For the sake of balance, I would personally rule that the Infernus Heavy Bolter is a Deathwatch-exclusive combi-weapon which combines the heavy bolter and heavy flamer profiles. The heavy bolter will function as normal, while the heavy flamer profile would be single shot per the standard combi-weapon rules. I would price it at somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-30 req; I'm unsure if I would tack on any Renown requirements but a minimum threshold of Respected seems fitting. 

Just my 2%.

Edited by Necronaut

14 minutes ago, Necronaut said:

single shot per the standard combi-weapon rules / f 25-30 req

Eh, it's already pretty marginal losing the backpack rather than just giving your requisition to another player to carry the flamer :p

A clip of metal storm rounds will out-perform the heavy flamer is just about every circumstance when it comes to dealing with hordes. The infernus is more 'rule of cool' than actually useful.

2 hours ago, Lysimachus said:

@Mazer Rackham How did Akkad's Infernus get run in Blackthorn? Were there any negatives imposed for being able to carry both weapons together?

And her name was Cadence.

Other than the weight, not mechanically, no, although your game rules involve encumbrance, so that's your shout :tongue:

It wasn't quite a combi-weapon, more like the HF was an aux-GL, with either one gun firing, or the other, not both per turn. The HF and HB both ran on standalone magazines/canisters with full capacity; so 60 bolts, 12 flammens. No backpacks allowed, the reloading requirement was a balancer. Obviously any Talents that affected HBolter only affected that portion, and the same with any affecting the HFlamer only applied there.

Quick Reload was a godsend...

Both weapons were Heavy Class, thereby benefitting from Unrelenting Devastation.

The actual weapon was built via Sig Gear SM Rank 1, and Master Signature Wargear at SM Rank 2, with the HB being the base gun, and the HF being applied to it as an 'upgrade'. Minimum base cost was 35, and the rest of the combined 60 Req being used as the 'welding fee' and 'permanent rental costs'.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

On 3/16/2024 at 8:26 AM, Lysimachus said:

How are you feeling, Tro? I am assuming as Liaison Alda is also at the ceremony/briefing as an observer, so if she has any questions or comments, feel free (but don't feel obliged if you are still poorly!)

Only just saw this, it would have made sense, but I have had Alda being of somewhere deep inside the fortress studying up as an explanation as to why she has not been round to interact.  I guess she is about to join the team on the Ork hunt though.

If so I think any and all Req Alda has can go to the rest of the team, without relevant weapon training there isen't much she can buy that would be usefully offensively. And with Zidemi now on the team there is less need for her to act as a stand in Tech-Use enabler (and is a back up instead), though an omni tool could still be useful I guess.

Thanks for all the input, gents.

Hmm.

Having considered it for some time, I think Mazer and Necro's points about encumbrance, Req cost, SigWargear and Renown are valid. Taking a proper Infernus might need to wait for the team to Rank up a bit? You are all DW newbies, after all!

...however…

If Omoc wanted to Requisition a standard Flamer as his backup gun, that would be within both Req and Renown requirements. It also wouldn't break the limits I put on encumbrance at all (though it would still be the maximum weapons that he could carry, 1 Heavy + 1 Basic).

Hell, it might even be preferable in some ways - slightly cheaper, and he wouldn't have to give up the Backpack Ammo supply for the HB?

And at that point if AT wanted to fluff the Flamer as being an attachment underslung on the HB, I can't see that there should be any problem with that?

@Trokair Nothing wrong with loading up on tools or little gadgets if you've got high Int.

Think about mobility or survival gear. Photo-visors for darkness, UV lightsticks, drop harnesses, grapnels. Req a rifle with a scope, allowing you to keep distance or act as a spotter, a decoy Ork mask etc.

Just a note of caution - be careful around crazy stuff. Alda's not immune to Fear, so anything getting close to...er, terror inducing acts of violence, (looks at Kukri for no reason) will be a problem.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

I know you're good with the rounds @Lysimachus but there is some lore to back up using at least one of them...

As far as the bolter ammo goes- Kraken is fairly similar to the Alpha Legion's Banestrike ammo that was developed in the Heresy, so a high-penetration bolt round (regardless of naming) is something that was/is in constant development. Maybe the Deathwatch is just testing a pre-production Kraken derivative right now?

The Hellfire shells are a bit different- there isn't really anything comparative to them and there isn't any sort of in-universe mention of an experimental acid round before. The closest is Inferno rounds, which are designed to burn the enemy from the inside rather than melt them, but it is close in effect I guess. 

Otherwise, I'm still good with Moridyn not needing anything.

@Trokair I am happy to take a step back from the Tech-Use tasks if you feel Zidemi will overshadow your character. He is still a Space Marine so he won't be a slouch in combat.

I suspect as the game goes on Zidemi and Alda would likely be co-ordinating together or splitting up across two combat squads.

I know the thing to do with Techmarines is to tank up with Flesh is Weak etc and be all like "I CAST FIST SERVO-ARM!". But I wanted to take a different approach with him, and there is already an abundance of combat ICs.

Posted (edited)

@Trokair Excellent post, mate, and good explanation of where she's been. Re: Req, maybe some gear that relates to her role as liaison? Am I remembering right that you were thinking about taking a picter? (That could be a good hook for adding some tension to the team, if they think you've been sent to keep an eye on them!)

Whatever you decide, I'll add something to introduce you to the team before they leave the Bulwark.

@Xin Ceithan I vaguely remember you saying about Amaras maybe Req'ing a Diagnosticator Helm? That would use up your 15?

@Mike Zulu I'll answer your IC questions here to keep things neat. So, the Armoury is fairly basic. In terms of gear it's well stocked but mostly simple (Renown: Initiated) stuff. There is rarer stuff as well, but we'll assume for the time being that it is locked away in a secure area/vault that you would need approval by someone with higher Rank in order for you to unlock.

There would be a decent complement for the Armoury staff - maybe 20ish? A half-dozen Deathwatch Chapter Serfs/Adepts, plus various support Servitors. I think Necronaut named one serf in a post… yep, the ugly but skilled (and funny!) Boeckner. But feel free to give names to the rest as you see fit.

There aren't any large vehicles in the Armoury, the Watchstation is too small for that kind of thing. (I suppose there could be a Bike or two stored in a corner, but no Predators! :biggrin:) The exception to this is the Stormeagle Iron Sabre, which is in the hangar bay that is on the upper level but connected to the Watchstation area by an elevator.

I reckon it's a good opportunity for interaction if Zidemi and Alda are both available for tech work, fitting with the Salamanders being more mortal-friendly than most? And a +10 Assist is always useful!

Edited by Lysimachus

13 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Just a note of caution - be careful around crazy stuff. Alda's not immune to Fear, so anything getting close to...er, terror inducing acts of violence, (looks at Kukri for no reason) will be a problem.

I assure you Alda has no intention of being anywhere anything dangerous or scary. Unfortunately she isn’t going to get much say on the matter I suspect.

2 hours ago, Mike Zulu said:

@Trokair I am happy to take a step back from the Tech-Use tasks if you feel Zidemi will overshadow your character. He is still a Space Marine so he won't be a slouch in combat.

I suspect as the game goes on Zidemi and Alda would likely be co-ordinating together or splitting up across two combat squads.

Not at all, go right ahead and play your Tech-marine in all his Mechanicum glory.  Late during character creation I noticed that (at the time) none of the marines had much in the way of Tech-Use so I did a little rejig so that someone in the party could do something. Happy to be the backup/support to Zidemi or as you said go with the other half of the team  if  when the party gets split.

1 hour ago, Lysimachus said:

@Trokair Excellent post, mate, and good explanation of where she's been. Re: Req, maybe some gear that relates to her role as liaison? Am I remembering right that you were thinking about taking a picter? (That could be a good hook for adding some tension to the team, if they think you've been sent to keep an eye on them!)

Whatever you decide, I'll add something to introduce you to the team before they leave the Bulwark.

So in line with that thinking, as it does indeed play into my earlier intention and the setup I have gone for a Cartograph, a Pict Recorder, Magnoculars and a Lamp/glow-globe.

The last point of Req went on a Krak Grenade, if a last resort is needed that should do the job.

Hi everybody!

I’m trying to catch up on your escapades/loyal service to the Emperor over this weekend. Once I am through with my assignments after next week or so, things should hopefully die down at  work a bit on my side.

5 hours ago, Lysimachus said:

vaguely remember you saying about Amaras maybe Req'ing a Diagnosticator Helm? That would use up your 15?

that is the general idea. Even if it just gives me an excuse, to check out the excellent MK VI  mini from FW.:laugh:

@Trokair No worries, will do. Looking forward to it!

@Lysimachus Thanks, all understood. I was hoping for at least one Rhino-chassis vehicle, but alas...

• I suppose there isn't any Land Speeders, either?
  • Do we have an assigned pilot/s for the Storm Eagle? Do we need any?

@Necronaut Since you came up with Boeckner, I might leave it to you to narrate his activities and limit my own to brief references whilst Zidemi is in the Armoury. Unless you prefer for me to "take over" the NPC?