Deathwatch: Murderers in Black (OOC Thread)

Lysimachus

On 3/19/2024 at 4:46 PM, Necronaut said:

Gerhardt

“Then we must assault this hitherto unknown xenos lair nearly blind, relying upon fragmentary information and with an untested kill-team?"

Sounds like a job for the 'Seismic Escalation Detonator' from Rites of Battle - aka the most confusingly worded weapon in the game.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, A.T. said:

Sounds like a job for the 'Seismic Escalation Detonator' from Rites of Battle - aka the most confusingly worded weapon in the game.

I couldn't remember what this item does, so had to go away and look it up... I am no clearer now... :tongue:

I suspect we are about all done with the current Scene, but I will wait until Friday to start the next one. So if anyone has any more to add, that's fine, but otherwise I'll update in 36 (ish) hours.

As a side point, as we're a few weeks in now, is everyone finding the weekly update schedule to be a decent balance? As mentioned, I'm trying to limit myself to answering any questions the PCs raise, rather than moving the story forward too much in-between Scenes. I hope it's working for everyone?

And hey, just starting a third page in three weeks is pretty reasonable for me, right...?! :laugh:

Edited by Lysimachus

I usually think of hypno-indoctrination more like Chuck downloading the Intersect, or Conspiracy Theory where Mel Gibson has his eyes taped open so he can't look away? And the droning voice being like an audio accompaniment, hypnotic in its own way, overlaying and enhancing the visual information...

...but I will think of it as DbPP from now on! :laugh:

In Deathwatch, by Steve Parker, the Hypno-induction is partly experiencing the necro-neurocortical data capture from the systems in the armour of fallen Marines, so that the new Marines relive the defeats of previous Kill-teams (albeit from a different chapter to the trainee) so they don't make the same mistakes, and learn how to fight from error.

This was also used as punishment, where a Marine would be subjected to the inglorious slaughter of his own blood-brethren to show follies. So an Imperial Fist, refusing to see the wisdom of a withdrawal would be put through something like the Iron Cage, knowing the outcome, unable to change it.

Grimdark.

Kind of like watching a really bad 'Let's Play' on YT.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Depends - most Black Templars carry the Chapter Cross on both shoulders, so it would already be there, so to speak. Half the time, this is why so few BT's actually get into the DW. Halving their character, or heraldry is too much for them. COnsorting with witches or xenos gear would be the other half.

Oddly, I've always thought they would likely be received well back into the Crusading ranks because of this, since they maintained their 'honour' unsullied.

Any confusion might be my fault, as in my post I muddled my left/right for the DW pad. :rolleyes: It is now fixed - Chapter badge is Right, DW pad is Left.

Side point - if anyone wants to ask Skaayn what's up, they can? Remember he's a Raptor, so he believes in taking initiative and asking questions, etc!

I'd say go for it, mate!

I'd tried to include a few hooks so Alda could potentially interact with the Serfs of the Watch-Station - almost like a hidden sub-culture beneath the notice of Astartes or Inquisitors! - but as Tro has been poorly, none of it has really been needed?

If you have an idea to keep the character in the game while our esteemed Frater is still out of action, that sounds great to me! :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, Lysimachus said:

I'd tried to include a few hooks so Alda could potentially interact with the Serfs of the Watch-Station - almost like a hidden sub-culture beneath the notice of Astartes or Inquisitors!

That sounds pretty cool, TBH, much better than my idea of having her as a high value asset in the middle of a live kill-house...

Catch-up post! Hopefully I can get on with interacting now.

Also, I know I'll have to requisition it (so technically I'll need to wait till we're setting off for a mission) but I'd quite like to look into sourcing a chainsword. I figure Váfri almost certainly had one at some point - a lot of Grey Hunters do - and it was probably destroyed in the last theatre he fought in before the call for Dethwatch recruits went out, which caused him to set off with what he had rather than taking the time to go back to a chapter outpost or capital ship to get a replacement.

How does recalling/reciting specific lore or history function in a PBP game? Normally you role a Lore check on the tabletop and the GM tells you there and then. Obviously that’s not as straightforward here.

For example, I wish to recall typical tactics of a particular xenos species. 

Edited by Mike Zulu

It's a little more abstract here, I grant, but the practice is very similar. Pop a prompt post in with the roll, something along the lines of:

'Zidemi dropped back into his subconscious, delving in his memory for the traits of the foe.'

Then Make roll, drop the mechanics in a spoiler tag:

Forbidden (or Common Lore etc) Test:

Spoiler

INT: eg 36 + modifiers if any = xx

D100: (Roll result plus and DoS/DoF)

Obviously if you fluff it with DoF, you can add to your post somewhere (before or after the mechanics portion) with the logical outcome, but as with TT, the context will kind of dictate it - so if you're leaping, but you roll badly/well, you just narrate the consequences of the fall with a bit of dramatic license so the GM can easily pick it up from there.

You'll get used to it very quickly.

Any help?

Edited by Mazer Rackham

That's pretty much the size of it.

Also, I might get you to roll, and move the Difficulty up or down depending on what kind of info you're trying to remember? Some things (e.g. Orks are green and fight in numbers!) are so obvious I probably wouldn't even ask for a roll, whereas if you were trying to remember something more detailed, like the tactics of a particular Klan or even a particular Warboss, it might be progressively harder?

Thanks. 

My character is trying to anticipate how the Orks might behave given how the Deathwatch react, namely:

- what would the Orks do if the Deathwatch ignore them for now?

- what would the Orks do if the Deathwatch engage them now?

i imagine most of this will draw from the Forbidden Lore: Xenos skill, and likely need a couple DoS.

Currently, I don't believe Moridyn will need his 15 Req- he's got a bolter with some kraken rounds and a chainblade-equipped assault shotgun, so should be good there. Only thing I could think of would be getting a flamer; I don't think that a flamer and a shotgun are really necessary.  So if others need the Req for something, feel free. 

Posted (edited)

Oh, that reminds me, I'll be using the same Weapons carry limit in Murderers as I did in Plunder, just based on what seems logical that one Marine could fix to his armour:

Equipment Loadout: To make life easy for myself I'm posting some maximum carrying limits, so we don't end up Req-ing everything and the kitchen sink.

Options for max are:
A) Heavy weapon + (1 Basic weapon) OR (2 Pistol/Melee)
B ) Basic weapon + (2nd Basic + 1 Pistol/Melee) OR (3 Pistol/Melee)
C) 4 Pistol/Melee

Edited by Lysimachus

There we go, Req sheet is up in the Drive folder.

Tac Marines: Don't forget you get 1 free clip of SIA (up to 25 Req, Renown: Initiated). If you could add it to your list, that would be helpful so I know who took what, but obviously the Req cost is 0.

16 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

There we go, Req sheet is up in the Drive folder.

Tac Marines: Don't forget you get 1 free clip of SIA (up to 25 Req, Renown: Initiated). If you could add it to your list, that would be helpful so I know who took what, but obviously the Req cost is 0.

Quick query chief: Hellfire still restricted, yes? Anything else?

Edited by Mazer Rackham