Deathwatch: Murderers in Black (OOC Thread)

Lysimachus

30 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

Superb, I've got to go do some actual work now, but I'll sort out those Armour History rolls later today.

As a side point, MG is looking for a copy of HtC. Does anyone know where he could purchase :whistling: a copy?

I've got a pdf, but I can't honestly remember where I downloaded it from... :facepalm:

Don' wurry, boss -- we knowz a git 'oo knowz a git. 

Ok, that took less time than I thought, let's get into it!

@Xin Ceithan

I'm cool with Charnel Guard and I don't mind you taking the Sang Priest upgrade. As to what build to use for him, FF says the requirements for a Sang Priest is Apothecary and Blood Angels, so I guess using BA is the best/simplest option?

Armour History:
Core: d10=1, giving you the choice of 1, 2, or go the other way to 10
Legends: d10=3, giving you the choice of 2, 3/4, or 5

@Machine God

Nice, gotta love some MkV! Ok, let's go Battle Scars and Legends of War tables then?

Battle Scars: d10=5, giving you the choice of 4, 5/6, or 7-9
Legends: d10=7, giving you the choice of 5, 6/7, or 8/9

9 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

I've been dealing with these books for years, and still miss things, so don't worry if you miss something - I missed the fact we get a Tactics Choice for free. Our generous GM reminded me last night.

You actually get -40 (total) to both Silent Move and Concealment. DW: Core, p 160.

My copy says -30.

Brother Asterius is completely created.

Edited by Machine God
Completed Character Sheet

22 minutes ago, Machine God said:

My copy says -30.

Normally, it is, but Uraloth's Armour History is 'Cower Not Before the Enemy', which specifically imposes a further -10 to all Conceal and Silent Move, so it's a cumulative -40.

On the flip side though, he gets +10 to Command Tests, IIRC, which is handy.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

8 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Normally, it is, but Uraloth's Armour History is 'Cower Not Before the Enemy', which specifically imposes a further -10 to all Conceal and Silent Move, so it's a cumulative -40.

On the flip side though, he gets +10 to Command Tests, IIRC, which is handy.

Thank you for the clarification.

@Mazer Rackham @Trokair - As an aside if you would care to peruse the Upgrades blurb for Motion Predictor , DW Core, p157. There you will see what I was on about reference Sights. 

Though that last line does not appear in the Rogue Trader Rulebook.

6 minutes ago, Machine God said:

@Mazer Rackham @Trokair - As an aside if you would care to peruse the Upgrades blurb for Motion Predictor , DW Core, p157. There you will see what I was on about reference Sights. 

Though that last line does not appear in the Rogue Trader Rulebook.

Rogue Traders have better tech then DW?...:ermm::whistling:

Or the ussual FFG kaffffel, who knows.  :facepalm:

Edited by Trokair

4 minutes ago, Trokair said:

Rogue Traders have better tech then DW?...:ermm::whistling:

Or the usual FFG kaffffel, who knows.  :facepalm:

Yesn't. To both.

Seriously, I'm not sure. I have a sneaking suspicion it is FFG shenanigans, since I saw a thread over in the Forums, where one of the compiling crew stated he had to strip a few words out to fit it on the page, so I kinda get why so much is....inconsistent.

7 minutes ago, Lord_Ikka said:

Moridyn, Star Phantom Tacitical. Mk 7 armour (need one roll from the GM on the Battle Scars History table). 

Hide contents

XP expenditure: 

-200 Dodge (HtC Codex Advances)

-400 Dodge +10 (HtC Codex Advances)

-200 Tactics: Defensive Doctrine (HtC Codex Advances)

-200 Rapid Reload (Tactical Marine Advances, Rank 1)

Dodge is already on the Character Sheet so you have 200 XP still to spend.

As is a Tactics Choice so you might be able to wangle another 200 XP.

Edited by Machine God
Tactics

43 minutes ago, Lord_Ikka said:

Moridyn, Star Phantom Tacitical. Mk 7 armour (need one roll from the GM on the Battle Scars History table). 

Reveal hidden contents

XP expenditure: 

Working on it...

Nice! I'm away from my books at the mo (pesky work again!) but I can do a quick roll with an online dice...

d10=2

So you can take that result on the Battle Scars table, or mod it up 1 or down 1 (whatever that may be! :biggrin:)

51 minutes ago, Machine God said:

Dodge is already on the Character Sheet so you have 200 XP still to spend.

As is a Tactics Choice so you might be able to wangle another 200 XP.

Yup, re-doing my xp purchases.

10 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

Nice! I'm away from my books at the mo (pesky work again!) but I can do a quick roll with an online dice...

d10=2

So you can take that result on the Battle Scars table, or mod it up 1 or down 1 (whatever that may be! :biggrin:)

Blood of the Enemy. Works- Fear (1) trait now. Question- what book's weapon stats are we using? I am now planning on using a melta or plasmagun from Signature Wargear, but looking at everyone else's wargear their stats are different than the one in my DW book (for example, seeing everyone with bolt pistols doing 1d10+9 damage, where my DW says 2d10+5). 

4 minutes ago, Lord_Ikka said:

Yup, re-doing my xp purchases.

Blood of the Enemy. Works- Fear (1) trait now. Question- what book's weapon stats are we using? I am now planning on using a melta or plasmagun from Signature Wargear, but looking at everyone else's wargear their stats are different than the one in my DW book (for example, seeing everyone with bolt pistols doing 1d10+9 damage, where my DW says 2d10+5). 

Probably the Errata
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/deathwatch/news/faq/Deathwatch Living Errata v1-1.pdf

Ooof- I am stupid. I didn't go further than the Armory section, so didn't see the appendixes. 

XP expenditure:

Spoiler

500: Signature Wargear (Meltagun)

200: Tactics: Defensive Doctrine

200: Rapid Reload

Is there not a Primarch's Curst for the DA/BA/the chapters in the core rulebook?

Edited by Lord_Ikka

Looking good!

Just a note, all Marines get one Tactics subset as one of their free starting Skills, so you don't need to pay for Defensive Doctrines there? Another 200xp to spend if you want!

Just to check (as I said I'm away from my device that has the core book on it) but is there a Renown requirement for Signature Wargear? Just that you are all starting at Initiated level, and some weapons may be at Respected level. (Or does SigWargear say up to Respected, I can't remember?!)

Edit: ninja'd! Ok, sorry folks, you might need to swap your picks and then take stuff as Requisitions for the time being?

Edited by Lysimachus

Right Gear for the Job Deed (Tac Marine) 400XP- basically gives you Signature Wargear (negates Reknown requirements) for any of the following: Flamer, Combi-Flamer, Hand Flamer, Plasma Pistol, Astartes Shotgun, Astartes Sniper Rifle, Astartes Chainsword, Astartes PowerSword, Best-craftsmanship Astartes Scout Armour, Astartes Combat Shield.

I think I'll take a shotgun until we can get a meltagun. A weapon for every situation!

Edited by Lord_Ikka

Yes please, if you guys don't mind.

However... I am going to make one exception to that. Gerhardt's power sword is a very big part of who the character is, and it is his sword rather than an item taken from the Watch armouries. So in that one instance, I am going to waive the Respected requirement for SigWargear, just for that item.

FYI for everyone, though: I won't leave it a long time before bumping you all up to Respected anyway, so probably by the next time you get xp to spend you will be free to SigWargear Respected stuff to your heart's content!

I hope everyone can be ok with that decision?

Edited by Lysimachus

Is fine by me- Right Gear for the Job (-400XP) for an Astartes Shotgun w/Fire Selector, Slug Rounds, and an Astartes Chain Melee attachment (20 Req total). Now 400 more XP to spend- I'll do Tactics: Defensive Doctrine +10, Moridyn will be a veteran of defensive actions. 

Edited by Lord_Ikka

8 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

However... I am going to make one exception to that. Gerhardt's power sword is a very big part of who the character is, and it is his sword rather than an item taken from the Watch armouries. So in that one instance, I am going to waive the Respected requirement for SigWargear, just for that item.

Power Swords are one of those exceptions for tactical marines in any event, so it's nothing out of the ordinary even for a starting character.

3 hours ago, Lord_Ikka said:

Is fine by me- Right Gear for the Job (-400XP) for an Astartes Shotgun w/Fire Selector, Slug Rounds, and an Astartes Chain Melee attachment (20 Req total). Now 400 more XP to spend- I'll do Tactics: Defensive Doctrine +10, Moridyn will be a veteran of defensive actions. 

Unfortunately, that's not exactly how RGFTJ works. You pay 400xp and get a weapon off the list - and that's it. It doesn't give you a 20 Req limit, it gives your Sig Wargear at 100xp less, with the restrictions imposed.

If you RGFTJ an Astartes Shotgun - that's all you get. You will have to Req the rest.

The benefit of RGFTJ is it ignores the Renown requirements, and gives you access to stuff you couldn't otherwise get at Chargen. The best example of this is the Combat Shield, which you can't grab until Distinguished Renown.

If you use SigWargear, then the 20 Req limit applies and you can have your fancy bangstick. For 500xp.

My only real caveat with SigWargear is to be judicious, if you plan to move to Master SigWargear.

3 hours ago, A.T. said:

Power Swords are one of those exceptions for tactical marines in any event, so it's nothing out of the ordinary even for a starting character.

Agreed. As above - if the BT is a Tactical, he can take RGFTJ and get a Power Sword.

The only problem then, if there is one, will likely stem from if there is a Craftsmanship request, which heavily relies on Renown.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Well, I'll take the Signature Wargear shotgun then, and redo my XP again...

Hmm, even better I can get an Assault Shotgun if I lose the slug rounds, but still keep the fire selector and the combat attachment (20 req). Then I would just need to Req the slug rounds (4 req) at the start of a mission, which should be doable. 

Might as well just save the 300 XP right now, there's nothing for 200 that really appeals. 

Edited by Lord_Ikka