1 hour ago, Lord Marshal said:

I think they've just looked at the (only) art of Meduson and tried to stick close to that just because GW/FW have painted Iron Hands more ways than there are shades of 'unpainted ceramite' at this point. Even at the start of 2.0 they had two different 'Eavy Metal schemes on the go (jet black with blue trim and the semi-metallic version), nevermind the various 40k paint jobs and the OG oily-black from FW.

BLPROCESSED-Meduson-Ultimate-cover.png?e

Ya, just looks like they failed at translating the artwork to the actual scheme. You look at that art and can tell that the armour is supposed to be a weathered black, that's reflecting a lot of environmental light, and is consistent across the various pieces (his shoulder guards are the same as his chest piece, and the same as the other black armoured marines around him). It's not actually hard to metallically weather black and keep it reading as black, as tons of Iron Hand and destroyer projects show. 

It'd be like if they painted his sword arm yellow because of the sun...

8 minutes ago, tinpact said:

I don't recall off the top of my head how they painted the Legions Imperialis minis, but the 2.0 upgrades are nearly flat black with silver trim, so who knows what the current IH scheme looks like.

Their LI Iron Hands look metallic black as well. 

Not quite sure why everyone is so down on the paint scheme, 30k has far too many black Legion's (pun unintended) before you add in elements such as the Black Shields and specific Legion companies likes the Catalan Reivers and Justaerian from the XVIth and the Templar Brethren from the VIIth. Give them some variety, and gun-metal for the Iron Hands feels appropriate (more so than the oil-effect that we've seen before).

Love the model, with the sole exception of the 'closing one eye to aim' when weapons have their sights fed into various systems - it feels a little unnecessary. Want to see what are presumably mechatendrites flowing from his backpack and wrapped up in his cloak.

45 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Ya, just looks like they failed at translating the artwork to the actual scheme. You look at that art and can tell that the armour is supposed to be a weathered black, that's reflecting a lot of environmental light, and is consistent across the various pieces (his shoulder guards are the same as his chest piece, and the same as the other black armoured marines around him). It's not actually hard to metallically weather black and keep it reading as black, as tons of Iron Hand and destroyer projects show. 

It'd be like if they painted his sword arm yellow because of the sun...

The original Forgeworld recipe for IHs wasn't just weathered black. It does date back to when FW were happy to say they used non GW paints, but the paint job here seems to follow it in it's principles at least.

For reference it was:

IRON HANDS COLOUR SCHEME
1. Undercoat the model with GW black undercoat spray
2. Drybrush layers of Rub and Buff Pewter to blend up from black to silver.  with the silver parts being the most raised areas.
3. A small amount of Tamiya Clear Yellow was added to Tamaiya Smoke and this was airbrushed over the whole model and the model was then left to dry.
4. GW Druchi Violet was then airbrushed over the model in random patches.
5.  Tamaiya Clear Green was then airbrushed in patches over the previous two colours.
6. The whole model was airbrushed with a layer of thinned down Tamaiya Smoke and the model was then left to dry.
7. The model was then protected with a coating of GW Purity Seal.

Just edited to add that I agree that the shoulder pads being actually black is an odd choice. No reason they shouldn't match the rest of the armour.

Edited by Doobles57

2 minutes ago, Doobles57 said:

The original Forgeworld recipe for IHs wasn't just weathered black. It does date back to when FW were happy to say they used non GW paints, but the paint job here seems to follow it in it's principles at least.

For reference it was:

IRON HANDS COLOUR SCHEME
1. Undercoat the model with GW black undercoat spray
2. Drybrush layers of Rub and Buff Pewter to blend up from black to silver.  with the silver parts being the most raised areas.
3. A small amount of Tamiya Clear Yellow was added to Tamaiya Smoke and this was airbrushed over the whole model and the model was then left to dry.
4. GW Druchi Violet was then airbrushed over the model in random patches.
5.  Tamaiya Clear Green was then airbrushed in patches over the previous two colours.
6. The whole model was airbrushed with a layer of thinned down Tamaiya Smoke and the model was then left to dry.
7. The model was then protected with a coating of GW Purity Seal.

Right, but the artwork from the book cover definitely is just weathered black.

And this paintjob definitely doesn't follow the same principles. The OG oil slick scheme has the silver to basically allow the colours to show up in the scheme before getting blended back into a cohesive "black":

Spoiler

99590101340_IronHandsLegionMedusanImmort99590101357_IronHandsLegionMkIIISquad07.

See how these don't look like gun metal at all and read as black?

31 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Right, but the artwork from the book cover definitely is just weathered black.

And this paintjob definitely doesn't follow the same principles. The OG oil slick scheme has the silver to basically allow the colours to show up in the scheme before getting blended back into a cohesive "black":

Hide contents

99590101340_IronHandsLegionMedusanImmort99590101357_IronHandsLegionMkIIISquad07.

See how these don't look like gun metal at all and read as black?

Conversely the Gorgons are a metallic oil slick scheme that I wouldn't say reads as black.

The Heresy schemes for IH haven't been very consistent. Personally I find the gunmetal more interesting than black. But to each their own.

99590101351_IronHandsLegionGongonTerminators06.jpg.96e65f64cee65ffb5913cfd29450d619.jpg

13 minutes ago, son of the forest said:

Have I missed something?

Last year someone posted that little horus, shadrak, dantioch were getting models. Little horus and shadrak are confirmed as getting theirs so presumably the next expansion will feature dantioch

Like the model, don't like the wink. Put a helmet on him and I'm happy.

I like the metallic black. That's how I would do Iron Hands.

1 hour ago, Xanthous said:

Modern Heresy colour plates do tend to show Iron Hands as gunmetal. The Meduson paint scheme seems pretty close to these, I don't see why it's problematic.

I guess so?

I'd call it problematic for a number of reasons. The first is retconning the colour, after the entire heresy series was closed to finished and tons of their own media and paint schemes have them firmly established as being in black armour. The second is that dark silver accented with bright silver doesn't exactly look good. The third is that there's already a legion that uses dark silver as its primary colour, has Iron in its name, and a close association with machines/technology/servo arms. 

1 hour ago, Doobles57 said:

Conversely the Gorgons are a metallic oil slick scheme that I wouldn't say reads as black.

The Heresy schemes for IH haven't been very consistent. Personally I find the gunmetal more interesting than black. But to each their own.

99590101351_IronHandsLegionGongonTerminators06.jpg.96e65f64cee65ffb5913cfd29450d619.jpg

Ya, they didn't execute the technique very well on those lol. They don't look very good imo, especially not compared to the other units done in the same scheme. Their only advantage over meduson is that they're not the same colour as another legion with Iron in the name...

9 minutes ago, Marshal Rohr said:

Weird that none of the new characters are terminators. I wonder if a Terminator reboot is coming.

Lore wise none of the mentioned characters use terminator plate. We did see garius in terminator plate last year however and that was functionally the same design as current plastics 

19 minutes ago, Mr Farson said:

Lore wise none of the mentioned characters use terminator plate. We did see garius in terminator plate last year however and that was functionally the same design as current plastics 

I’ve got Garrius, and he’s much larger with different details than the normal plastics. My point is that they picked a slew of characters for the book that don’t include a terminator and we haven’t seen a generic terminator praetor or named praetor in a long time. Might be indicative of a rework. 

Edited by Marshal Rohr

1 hour ago, Corswain said:

Like the model, don't like the wink. Put a helmet on him and I'm happy.

I like the metallic black. That's how I would do Iron Hands.

Yeah that's how I did my IH successor, lol

4 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

You look at that art and can tell that the armour is supposed to be a weathered black

Not really, it comes across way more like gunmetal / grey. With a LOT of chipping. There's actual black in that art (shadows, knee/belt iconography) and the armour goes from 50% gray up towards 10% grey / off-white. Like it or not, this paintjob is much more faithful to this specific cover art than any other 30k IH paintjob before it.

Edited by Kastor Krieg

6 minutes ago, Kastor Krieg said:

Not really, it comes across way more like gunmetal / grey. With a LOT of chipping. There's actual black in that art (shadows, knee/belt iconography) and the armour goes from 50% gray up towards 10% grey / off-white. Like it or not, this paintjob is much more faithful to this specific cover art than any other 30k IH paintjob before it.

The raven guard standing right next to him looks the exact same...

Maybe some people should crack their rulebooks for more than trying to figure out what the most over powered and points efficient weapons combinations are to look at the Iron Hands models and see the matte black shoulder and metal black armor is how all the example models are painted, we wouldn’t have to waste all this brain power arguing about color schemes!

What a novel idea!

17 minutes ago, Marshal Rohr said:

Maybe some people should crack their rulebooks for more than trying to figure out what the most over powered and points efficient weapons combinations are to look at the Iron Hands models and see the matte black shoulder and metal black armor is how all the example models are painted, we wouldn’t have to waste all this brain power arguing about color schemes!

What a novel idea!

Or people can discuss what they enjoy about the hobby and you can do the same. As has always taken place on this site :biggrin:

2 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Ya, they didn't execute the technique very well on those lol. They don't look very good imo, especially not compared to the other units done in the same scheme. Their only advantage over meduson is that they're not the same colour as another legion with Iron in the name...

They did like a black metal paint scheme when they showed off the MK IV, which I think worked out pretty well. It was certainly different and stood out quite substantially.

Been a bit busy at work, so pardon if someone else mentioned that :)

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

31 minutes ago, Marshal Rohr said:

The time to piss and moan about the Iron Hands color scheme changing was June 22. It’s neither news or rumors. 

Compared to the more recent depictions of Iron Hands, it is a large departure though?

vDYOEOwwQjQWBlqY.jpg.963106e5f6ca4706fc5b20a0d15050bc.jpg

pPSrREsYpxoRohSx.thumb.jpg.9b1dd3ff084d6943d453798933d0a664.jpg

I'd wager noticeable changes in official colour schemes from release to release (plus most older depictions), is a tad more on topic that terminators in a thread about character very visibly not in terminator armour :wink:

Edited by TrawlingCleaner