1 hour ago, Ace Debonair said:

The Space Marine Heroes team had a Captain in it - so there's definitely some precedent already for proper HQ-type models in kill teams. 

The Necron Kill Team also had a Cryptek in it as their leader, come to think of it.

So... maybe? :sweat:

We've also had Blooded with Chaos commissars and Ogryn, Wyrmcoven and Harlequins with hero characters, and the whole strangeness of the Chaoa Cult. So it's not that exactly a new deal to get characters in KT

2 minutes ago, Deus_Ex_Machina said:

This happens when people expect garden gnomes thanks to Blood Bowl.

Dang Blood Bowl, setting the standards way too high!

Thought about these Hernkyn a little more and I am left wondering what exactly they are supposed to be based on their models.

They just look like dwarves walking around wearing trench coats. What do they do? They don't look like rangers, they don't look more elite than your average foot soldier. They legit just look like Hernkyn who got off of their bikes and started walking around.

Not sure that is a "win" so much as "boss told me to make Hernkyn on foot so that's what I did."

8 hours ago, Indy Techwisp said:

They're supposed to look like Hernkyn on foot.

They look like Hernkyn on foot.

Job well done imo.

Looks like an upgrade sprue tbh.

If it was a bespoke kit, I doubt the guns would still have Aquila's on them

At least one of the guns with an Aquila on it is new, and previous GSC models have Aquilas on them. They're ex-Imps, often masquerading as loyal Imps. Aquilas fits them. 

That said, it is an upgrade sprue. That's 100% the current Caidan kit.

20 minutes ago, phandaal said:

They legit just look like Hernkyn who got off of their bikes and started walking around.

walking? Leaving their vehicles to do things? this is even worse than space marines not always wearing a jump pack WHEN THEY EASILY COULD

Edited by Wispy

4 minutes ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

Admittedly I have a soft-spot for all things Genestealer Cultists, but I do like those models, and might find it hard to resist them :smile: (I'm not sure how they'll look next to the regular Genestealer Cult model line size-wise, though)

They're the size of current Cadians, so they'll be more upright than current GSC but should fit in fine. They'll look a bit taller than any of your older brood brothers though, but not to the same degree as something like a firstborn tactical squaddie vs a Primaris intercessor b

16 minutes ago, Wispy said:

walking? Leaving their vehicles to do things? this is even worse than space marines not always wearing a jump pack WHEN THEY EASILY COULD

Why don't they stay on their bikes? Are they stupid?

:laugh:

I really like the GSC (too bad about the Broodcoven) and I actually really like the Votann. I'd personally like the Votann army as a whole if they were all this kinda vibe. Trenchcoat over their armour, a bit more rag-tag like these guys:

99120118010_BrokhyrIronMasterLead.jpg?fm

99120118004_GrymnyrLead.jpg?fm=webp&w=92

The hodge-podge armament is definitely a Killteam specific thing, The Felgor Killteam are like this too however they do still have options for all members to have their basic hand weapon and pistol instead of each model being a unique operative. I think most Killteams are like this, so those that want just shotguns may still get that :happy:

43 minutes ago, phandaal said:

Dang Blood Bowl, setting the standards way too high!

Thought about these Hernkyn a little more and I am left wondering what exactly they are supposed to be based on their models.

They just look like dwarves walking around wearing trench coats. What do they do? They don't look like rangers, they don't look more elite than your average foot soldier. They legit just look like Hernkyn who got off of their bikes and started walking around.

Not sure that is a "win" so much as "boss told me to make Hernkyn on foot so that's what I did."

What are they based on?

Look at the coats. It´s actually a secret Delaque reveal. Hiding in plain sight as usual. Throwing yourselves into the washing machine after a prolonged Ash Wastes hike will make you look like shrunken laundry.

9 minutes ago, TrawlingCleaner said:

Why don't they stay on their bikes? Are they stupid?

:laugh:

This may fall on deaf ears (or blind eyes?) but think of it like this:

Hearthkyn, Berserks, Thunderkyn, Pioneers, Hearthguard, special characters.

Look at those units or models and you know what they do. Foot soldiers, close combat, gunners, outriders, heavy foot soldiers, leaders/mechanics/casters.

Look at this unit. What do they do? Do you get a scouting vibe from them, or a "rangers" vibe, shock troopers, anything?

I really like the dwarves... I would maybe go for it if they were all bare-chested and mohawked.

I was hoping for a new Grey Knights strike squad.

6 minutes ago, phandaal said:

This may fall on deaf ears (or blind eyes?) but think of it like this:

Hearthkyn, Berserks, Thunderkyn, Pioneers, Hearthguard, special characters.

Look at those units or models and you know what they do. Foot soldiers, close combat, gunners, outriders, heavy foot soldiers, leaders/mechanics/casters.

Look at this unit. What do they do? Do you get a scouting vibe from them, or a "rangers" vibe, shock troopers, anything?

Scouting, Demolitions, general purpose Commandos kinda vibes. Trenchcoats (to hide the colour and heat signatures of their armour), close quarters weapons, demo charges If a unit is going to infiltrate in, disrupt supply lines, take reconnaisence of enemy positions in kind of needs to be a bit swiss army knife in terms of weapons (it helps for KillTeam too of course :biggrin:)

They're very very similar to Ork Kommandos, in my opinion, both aethestetics and unit role :happy:

7 minutes ago, TrawlingCleaner said:

Scouting, Demolitions, general purpose Commandos kinda vibes. Trenchcoats (to hide the colour and heat signatures of their armour), close quarters weapons, demo charges If a unit is going to infiltrate in, disrupt supply lines, take reconnaisence of enemy positions in kind of needs to be a bit swiss army knife in terms of weapons (it helps for KillTeam too of course :biggrin:)

They're very very similar to Ork Kommandos, in my opinion, both aethestetics and unit role :happy:

That is fair. Just wanted to share my perspective, because there is more to it than just "WHY DORF NOT ON BIKE :wacko:".

For me, these guys do not give off any particularly strong vibe. They just look like Pioneers who got off of their bikes for a minute. Maybe that is because my hope was for something more like a Votann equivalent to Dwarf rangers.

57 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

Coats = scouts 

Apparently :ermm::laugh: 

This wisdom goes all the way back to 40s or 50s hollywood.

If you want to be an undercover agent, detective or any other job that requires you to not catch attention, you need to wear a huge trenchcoat.. preferably bright yellow. Its such a cliche trope, that it just has to be based on scientifical facts :p

Joking aside, as I said in the adepticon topic, while I see and realise they want to go for a western/frontier town vibe ( the revolver element highlighting that too.) I see arctic fishermen/whalers.. and I love it.. Im feeling a project coming on!. They even have a double dagger wearing inuit guide with them.

1 minute ago, phandaal said:

That is fair. Just wanted to share my perspective, because there is more to it than just "WHY DORF NOT ON BIKE :wacko:".

For me, these guys do not give off any particularly strong vibe. They just look like Pioneers who got off of their bikes for a minute. Maybe that is because my hope was for something more like a Votann equivalent to Dwarf rangers.

Different strokes for different folks! If GW went purely off the things I like, we'd only get models with spikes and a bit of edge in their walk :biggrin:

The great thing about Votann being so new is that they've got such a wide design space they can take the army and there's plenty of room for different units etc without stepping on other's toes.

Also to clarify, my original comment was a play on the "Is he stupid?" meme, not a shot at anyone :laugh:

13 minutes ago, brother_b said:

I wish they had added something else besides the broodcoven for GSC. I have a couple already but I know this is for the standalone game kill team not specifically 40K.

Really the only bit I’m interested in is the new standard bearer arm for the GSC. 

I think the good thing is that you can pretty much just kitbash much of this team from spare bits if you already have a GSC collection. 

Hopefully it means BB get a GSC data sheet, so if you want to bring a BB allied force you can spend more points on tanks and such 

1 hour ago, phandaal said:

For me, these guys do not give off any particularly strong vibe.

To me it's more like too many different vibes across the kit. Alot of kill teams feel scattered and unfocused when translated into 40k because kill teams are often like 1/4 gunners/demolitions, 1/4 sneaky/assassins and 1/4 random support/leader and 1/4 'basic infantry'. To me there's alot to enjoy in the kit but I can't escape the feeling that the closed coat ones are simply inferior. 

From an army fluff perspective I'd be saying that these are more envoys and spies than battle infantry.... accepting that the envoys and spies of a mercenary clone cyborg consortium are still always loaded for bear.

I will probably get the kit in the end just for diversity's sake, and I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised with the actual minis considering how much better Beserks and Hearthguard look and feel in person than in GW's photos... Literally every Votann kit Ive painted has exceeded my expectations, honestly.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.