When the Horus Heresy set the galaxy ablaze, not all of the Loyalist Legions chose the same side as their Primarchs. Among the White Scars, who once teetered on the brink of turning against the Emperor, a contingent of Khans renounced their oaths to Jaghatai Khan and raised their banners for the Warmaster.

Kinda wrong again on the fluff, aren't they? Hibou, Hasik & Torghun didn't renounce their oaths to the Khan, and when he showed up, they surrendered and wanted to atone. The schism was more intra-Legion, with neither side being truly certain about which side the Khan would commit to, but both thinking theirs was the correct choice. Loyalty to the Khan was not renounced, they believed they were actually fulfilling their purpose through their actions tipping the scales.

1 hour ago, thesarge44 said:

Cool model, happy for MK2 in plastic, but i hope they keep the overlapping plates on the legs, much prefer those to these new leg design. Not to picky tho, i want a squad of 20 of each mk for my Night Lords and if this gets me closer to MK5 i'll be a happy boy. 

(also, do proper MK7 Tactical rescales GW i beg of thee)

look at the model. It has no overlapping plate so they most likely won't have them for the plastic version... Most of the resin kits we have will probably reflect the plastic version that probably will come out. Like what we have seen with the other release like dominion and fafnir for the MK3b

58 minutes ago, Astartes Consul said:

Yeah, unless there is a creative solution like they did for the Mk VI pauldrons, that problem won't have gone away I guess?

That makes me nervous for how they're going to achieve MK5 if they have problems with the studs. Unless the shoulder pads and greaves are all two part fit together like the MK6 shoulder pads, but that sounds tedious on 20 models. Either way, looking forward to it. I imagine the order will be MK 4 - MK 2 - MK 5 for new kits so will probably take a while. Purely speculative on my part though, just what makes sense in my head. 

1 hour ago, Astartes Consul said:

An interesting note from Steve May, the former GW designer, on Instagram here:

Screenshot2024-03-21at14_54_29.png.d20a112cc10d8892d67033cf3abfe3c1.png

Yeah, unless there is a creative solution like they did for the Mk VI pauldrons, that problem won't have gone away I guess?

Even Steve isnt too negative about it, though!

Screenshot_20240321-1602452.png.700d9f8f8075ee0747191672734cee18.png

Superb model, even the spectacularly bad knife placement cant ruin it :D Really great paint job too which is nice.

And yeah, the helmet top knots are definitely separate, i mean, even thinking about it for a second a top knot hole makes no sense even for 40k... You couldnt move your head properly without catching it, it would unseal the suit and be a huge liability in melee, i think its fairly obviously a decoration....

23 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

Superb model, even the spectacularly bad knife placement cant ruin it :D Really great paint job too which is nice.

And yeah, the helmet top knots are definitely separate, i mean, even thinking about it for a second a top knot hole makes no sense even for 40k... You couldnt move your head properly without catching it, it would unseal the suit and be a huge liability in melee, i think its fairly obviously a decoration....

I have no idea about how it was done irl but in quite a few books they show Astartes tying their hair down under the armor or wrapping braids tight before putting the armor over it.

But horsehair crests are a pretty common design element for officers historically irl arent they?

The bizarre part to me is that the prime vector in a few books for the actual hair as straight topknot fashion among Astartes is Cthonia. Never really clicked for me since for some reason they wrote the planet to be so cramped and decrepid that I am not sure how any custom can realistically form. Its not even the crazy kind of decrepid like Necromunda, its just plain giga-poverty with nothing demonstrably cool or interesting. Especially since long and healthy hair, which is the usual purpose for it in the irl past as a status symbol, seems completely impossible.

Went off topic there, can't help but be annoyed at how they made Cthonia just the most boring breed of 'suck' in 40k, seems do at odds with the culture we are told comes from it.

Edited by StrangerOrders

Lovely model, but I'm sad that it likely confirms Mk II is losing the overlapping armor plates like Mk III did.  I've never understood what the problem with doing them in plastic is.  We already got overlapping plates on the back half of the legs with the old Mk. III and new Death Guard plastics, so I don't see how it would not be feasible to just do the same for the front.  Rivets would be trickier, but the plates themselves don't seem like they would be impossible.

9 minutes ago, Aarik said:

Lovely model, but I'm sad that it likely confirms Mk II is losing the overlapping armor plates like Mk III did.  I've never understood what the problem with doing them in plastic is.  We already got overlapping plates on the back half of the legs with the old Mk. III and new Death Guard plastics, so I don't see how it would not be feasible to just do the same for the front.  Rivets would be trickier, but the plates themselves don't seem like they would be impossible.

the problem was, unless you wanted to have each leg essentially in 2-3 individual parts, you cant injection mold the overlapping plates in one go which is why it was fine on the back of the Mk III leg since it was only one 'face' that had the element not a full, cylindrical, element.

Excellent. One of their best. Apart from the generic Praetors, I really llve the Scars range.

I too would miss the overlapping plate design but this does look really good.

8 hours ago, Lord Marshal said:

The rumour goes that MKIII in Burning of Prospero was originally MKII, but they couldn't get the all-around overlapping plates to work with the injection moulds and is why we ended up with MKIII. Dunno if there's any merit to it, but it might also explain why a 'redesign' of MKII occurred here ahead of the inevitable plastics if that is true.

You can see examples of the difficulty in translating the old design to plastic in some of the death guard models but I don't think the new design and 5 standard pose would be problematic for plastic molding with how the new kits are done. I could see an assualt squad of mk 2 being a problem if they have the exact same poses as the mk 6 but I don't see any reason for them to mimic those poses in the assualt squads as they don't have to worry about parts compatability in the same way.

11 minutes ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

So he's an earth man who railed against Chogorian influence in the legion but all his bling is extremely Chogorian?

When in Rome