Yeah, i don't know why people are expecting the existence of Fulgrim transfigured to stop a plastic Fulgrim coming out with this Codex release (expecting that next year at earliest given how packed things are looking)

We also have rumours that the next HH primarch is Angron Transfigured so having two same name primarchs out in different materials is not going to bother GW (or their bottom line) one bit.

By the time plastic Fulgrim hits preorder, they'll have safety made bank on resin fulgrim...and then proceed to make more money as people buy plastic version again.

12 minutes ago, StrangerOrders said:

I am very curious what the role of the Noise Marines will be given their history and lore because, uniquely for Cult Marines, they have never been a majority presence.

Rubrics, Berserkers and Plague Marines, those have always been understood as line troops of their legion.

Noise Marines have on the other hand always had a smell of the elite, blessed or - more cynically - the damned. They are more like a force of nature to be carefully unleashed than the go-to chaff.

Imagine if EC retain the ability to just bring normal Legionnaires as Battleline?

I think the Noise Marine unit will have the option to be built as an Assault marine style "normal" unit in addition to the expected crazy sonic stuff, possibly these would be 2 different datasheets even.

As for why they're still "Noise Marines", consider the faction from an outside perspective.

Who outside of the EC would know that the EC don't spam Noise Marines?

You're going up against the EC, so Noise Marines is what you expect and thus thats what you'd call the normal battle line.

The TSons Battle Line are technically just the Aspiring Sorc, but since he controls a blob of Rubricae and Rubrics are what you expect you call them Rubric Marines.

Edited by Indy Techwisp

2 minutes ago, Cadian Bandstand said:

Doesn't the article say that there's no codex for the foreseeable future? That's the same wording they used for Kislev in the old world, doesn't that mean there's no plans for a codex currently?

There's already "rumours" for it tho, unlike Kislev

46 minutes ago, CL_Mission said:

The most terrifying foe for the illiterate amongst the teaming masses of the galaxy.

Heh, yeah, this is a joke to myself. I'm not a fan of all the "phoenix" stuff added to the Emperor's Children (I'm not sure of its genesis, as I was absent from the hobby for quite awhile, but it strikes me as someone mistaking Phoenician for having to do with Phoenixes, even though those two words just share an etymological root - the ancient Greek word for reddish-purple). Having 30k's Phoenix Terminators therefore evolve into 40k's Noise Marine Terminators, where "phonics" is a reference to sound while being a near homophone...

I'm easily amused.

//

5 minutes ago, StrangerOrders said:

I am very curious what the role of the Noise Marines will be given their history and lore because, uniquely for Cult Marines, they have never been a majority presence.

Rubrics, Berserkers and Plague Marines, those have always been understood as line troops of their legion.

Noise Marines have on the other hand always had a smell of the elite, blessed or - more cynically - the damned. They are more like a force of nature to be carefully unleashed than the go-to chaff.

So will the codex bastardize them into 'every EC, an infamously martial legion of duelists, is now purely ranged' or will the Noise Marines remain elite and a new unit of debouched Astartes will represent the 'normal' depraved EC? 

I'll push back on this a little. As a kid, the Emperor's Children were very much presented as "the Noise Marine army", and I personally hope that's what a Codex: Emperor's Children focusses on. The whole "martial duelists" thing came later, so this wouldn't be a bastardisation so much as a return to their roots.

Codex Chaos (2nd edition): “While corrupt beyond human comprehension, the Emperor’s Children are a savage fighting force. Like many of Slaanesh’s followers they have become what are known as Noise Marines. These crazed followers of the Lord of Pleasure have become depraved and totally decadent warriors who seek and find perverse enjoyment in battle. The danger of combat is a rediscovered thrill and aphrodisiac, allowing them to reach new extremes of debauchery. The louder and more discordant the noise, the more extreme the emotional reaction provoked, until only the din of battle and terrified screams of the enemy can stir them. To further enhance their enjoyment Noise Marines carry outlandish weapons that produce deafening loud and pyrotechnically explosive attacks.”

Their Index Astartes article (3rd edition): "The Emperor's Children, now leaderless, continued to pursue ultimate pleasure, finding solace for the loss of their Legion in the horror of battle, joining with other corrupted Space Marines devoted to Slaanesh in vile crusades. Most became Noise Marines, twisted creatures addicted to fury and tempest, only satisfied by the roar of explosions and the screams of the dying."

I was trying to be Mr. Cleverboy Smartypants by suggesting we could use and/or convert the 30k Lucius model, 'cuz he look gud...

Captain Lucius – The Faultless Blade

...then I realised the old 40k Lucius the Eternal might be discontinued, so the 30k version isn't just an option, but perhaps the only option.

I do prefer to create my own characters rather than named Epic ones, if only to avoid smearing their good name by how badly I play, but I'm guessing it's not clear that's an option in this Index?  That we have to use Lucius, you say?  It'd be so typical of GW to a.) force us to use a HQ unit that b.) they don't make anymore.

I remember in one of the later Siege of Terra books someone like Abaddon was coordinating attacks with the Emperor's Children and came back with a look on his face.  One of the Mournival was like, "What's with that look, Zeke?"  Abaddon's like, "EC dude made up a title, made me call him an 'Orchestrator' or something."

So I want to kitbash my own Noise Marines using the upgrade bits with the new 30k plastics, lead by someone who calls himself a Chief Phallus.

6 minutes ago, N1SB said:

I was trying to be Mr. Cleverboy Smartypants by suggesting we could use and/or convert the 30k Lucius model, 'cuz he look gud...

Captain Lucius – The Faultless Blade

...then I realised the old 40k Lucius the Eternal might be discontinued, so the 30k version isn't just an option, but perhaps the only option.

I do prefer to create my own characters rather than named Epic ones, if only to avoid smearing their good name by how badly I play, but I'm guessing it's not clear that's an option in this Index?  That we have to use Lucius, you say?  It'd be so typical of GW to a.) force us to use a HQ unit that b.) they don't make anymore.

I remember in one of the later Siege of Terra books someone like Abaddon was coordinating attacks with the Emperor's Children and came back with a look on his face.  One of the Mournival was like, "What's with that look, Zeke?"  Abaddon's like, "EC dude made up a title, made me call him an 'Orchestrator' or something."

So I want to kitbash my own Noise Marines using the upgrade bits with the new 30k plastics, lead by someone who calls himself a Chief Phallus.

That's the exact pose I was thinking for a new Lucias...

I guess I know why now lol.

Also RE: Using the 30k model.

I use 30k Ahriman as the On-Foot version of him and that seems pretty common for us Sons of Magnus, so I'd say welcome to the club.

1 hour ago, CL_Mission said:

The most terrifying foe for the illiterate amongst the teaming masses of the galaxy.

This has made my day thank you.

I genuinely hope that we get noise marines/ kakophoni and some duellist types. We can but hope.

1 hour ago, StrangerOrders said:

So will the codex bastardize them into 'every EC, an infamously martial legion of duelists, is now purely ranged' or will the Noise Marines remain elite and a new unit of debouched Astartes will represent the 'normal' depraved EC? 

This is what I'm most interested to see

3 minutes ago, DemonGSides said:

I could see a heavy weapons squad type and a regular battle line type being available.  What they end up calling "Noise Marines" will definitely be interesting.

The fact that GW approved this art relatively recently for the MTG crossover may act as a window into the future of Noise Marines...

image.thumb.png.96c0d56ba4e02371c2c2547facbc1430.png

1 hour ago, Indy Techwisp said:

Someone mentioned the Rumoured release date on page 1 of this.

End of Q4 start of Q1.

Didnt valrak already paddle back on this ?

Right now he has Eldar on Q4 or Q1 (was summer when he first mentioned EC for Q4) , Agents and Blood angels Q 3 and Krieg Q 1. ( though he always say that dates should be taken much more salted and liberal ) and I think he expected Emperors children to not be this year last time he talked about it.

The warhammer community article's wording doesnt mean a lot though.. Ive seen later this year used for a release that came a week later, Ive seen soon used for things that came over a year later, and not anytime soon been used for only months. ( I think that was Votann actually.)

I hope they keep actual guitars* and such as a bit of flare, as opposed to being "the standard". Though there was traditionally art that made sonic weapons look a bit keytar/brass-ish, I hope they're more in that Kakophoni style (where they look like noise guns, and not just instruments with underslung bolters).

700px-Emperor'sChildrenHeraldique.jpg

*A... power axe, if you will?

1 hour ago, LSM said:

Heh, yeah, this is a joke to myself. I'm not a fan of all the "phoenix" stuff added to the Emperor's Children (I'm not sure of its genesis, as I was absent from the hobby for quite awhile, but it strikes me as someone mistaking Phoenician for having to do with Phoenixes, even though those two words just share an etymological root - the ancient Greek word for reddish-purple). Having 30k's Phoenix Terminators therefore evolve into 40k's Noise Marine Terminators, where "phonics" is a reference to sound while being a near homophone...

I'm easily amused.

//

I'll push back on this a little. As a kid, the Emperor's Children were very much presented as "the Noise Marine army", and I personally hope that's what a Codex: Emperor's Children focusses on. The whole "martial duelists" thing came later, so this wouldn't be a bastardisation so much as a return to their roots.

Codex Chaos (2nd edition): “While corrupt beyond human comprehension, the Emperor’s Children are a savage fighting force. Like many of Slaanesh’s followers they have become what are known as Noise Marines. These crazed followers of the Lord of Pleasure have become depraved and totally decadent warriors who seek and find perverse enjoyment in battle. The danger of combat is a rediscovered thrill and aphrodisiac, allowing them to reach new extremes of debauchery. The louder and more discordant the noise, the more extreme the emotional reaction provoked, until only the din of battle and terrified screams of the enemy can stir them. To further enhance their enjoyment Noise Marines carry outlandish weapons that produce deafening loud and pyrotechnically explosive attacks.”

Their Index Astartes article (3rd edition): "The Emperor's Children, now leaderless, continued to pursue ultimate pleasure, finding solace for the loss of their Legion in the horror of battle, joining with other corrupted Space Marines devoted to Slaanesh in vile crusades. Most became Noise Marines, twisted creatures addicted to fury and tempest, only satisfied by the roar of explosions and the screams of the dying."

Thats fair enough!

But, much like alot of stuff from the early editions, maybe sometimes the past is best forgotten?

Its a bit of a crossroads. Some Cult legions got alot more interesting when they evolved into a range, their old and new concepts hybridized and expanded upon in an interesting way. See Deathguard and not just from number of models.

Others have been made so one-dimensional its actually kind if painful with alot of their depth going up in smoke (still somewhat bitter at Sekhmet SOMEHOW not being psychic enough to avoid the Rubric).

The EC have been fortunate enough to get quite alot of brilliant books and characterization. Their weird desire to call back to aristocratic origins and perfectionist hubris warring with their varied depravity and extreme selfishness (and yes, that is also fairly aristocratic tbf but you get the idea). Its usually even a point of conflict with the Noise Marines which are almost enlightened in their single minded obsession and reverence for the song of Slaanesh. It lends them that elemental quality that leads to stunning character design.

And since the writing is in many ways directed by the models, I'd rather see the EC keep that depth.

And army of 'oops, all noise' would be really damned sad. Especially as that would ironically enough also break the current (really cool) identity of the Noise marines into having to accommodate every EC char moving forward. 

I'd rather see something like the DG in that their core is a recognizable mutation of their 30k units and designs. Which do incorporate noise implants into nearly everyone without making them literally 'everyone is a noise marine' and that would be reasonable I think.

Different strokes and folks but those are just my two disks of solified warp-cocaine enameled with the solidified tears of orphans and glitter.

Edited by StrangerOrders

3 minutes ago, StrangerOrders said:

...An army of 'oops, all noise' would be really damned sad. Especially as that would ironically enough also break the current (really cool) identity of the Noise marines into having to accommodate every EC char moving forward...

Eidolon is famous for his sonic scream, and Lucius does wear the Armour of Shrieking Souls (which is where his Doom Siren shooting comes from).*

Personally, I'd like Noise Marines to become all shooting, and to get a couple new close combat units (perhaps in a dual kit). One, I'd push the combat drugs angle, but the other I'd like to see "Noise Marine melee". Whirring chain swords, Doom Sirens, Warp Amps, bring back Photon Flash Flares from 2nd edition. Sensory nutters who like it in close.

*As an aside, Lucius is presented as a "great swordsman", but traditionally in any duel his lash tangled up opponents, his armour ruptured their ears with its screams, and he was tweaking on combat drugs.

Noise Marines have absolutely been presented as the majority of the 40k Legion in the past, exactly the same as the other cult Legions in fact. Its only in 30k that they are a more elite choice.

I suspect their rarity in armies has more to do with being an ancient hybrid kit than anything else? 

Id also remind people that the release shedule past 3-6 months is extremely nebulous most of the time, stuff get moved or chopped all the time as i understand it.

53 minutes ago, LSM said:

Eidolon is famous for his sonic scream, and Lucius does wear the Armour of Shrieking Souls (which is where his Doom Siren shooting comes from).*

Personally, I'd like Noise Marines to become all shooting, and to get a couple new close combat units (perhaps in a dual kit). One, I'd push the combat drugs angle, but the other I'd like to see "Noise Marine melee". Whirring chain swords, Doom Sirens, Warp Amps, bring back Photon Flash Flares from 2nd edition. Sensory nutters who like it in close.

*As an aside, Lucius is presented as a "great swordsman", but traditionally in any duel his lash tangled up opponents, his armour ruptured their ears with its screams, and he was tweaking on combat drugs.

Eidolon is considered the first Noise Marine for a reason tbh. And he is generally depicted as fairly unique among their breed for still having mundane interests like politics.

And in fairness Lucius's fragrant cheating and then claiming to be unrivaled is well... blatant hypocracy is a... I was about to say 'aristocratic trait' but I realized it applies to every single Astartes geneline so I guess Lucius isn't exactly unique there.

I think some emphasis on drugs to balance out the noise would be more palatable to me. That and a grotesque amount of gold trim and gemstones. And noise assault marines would be cool.

Only issue is that GW seems to have a clinical hatred of cult marines on motorcycles and jump packs. Two things the sense freaks generally adore.

Praying they don't make literally everyone bald though...

Also, if they deny Eidolon his thunder hammer and Jump Pack it will be a tragedy. The man's strat of zooming into a guy, screaming him mostly to death and then wacking him with a Thunder Hammer is entirely too funny not to keep.

Edited by StrangerOrders

18 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

Noise Marines have absolutely been presented as the majority of the 40k Legion in the past, exactly the same as the other cult Legions in fact. Its only in 30k that they are a more elite choice.

I suspect their rarity in armies has more to do with being an ancient hybrid kit than anything else? 

Id also remind people that the release shedule past 3-6 months is extremely nebulous most of the time, stuff get moved or chopped all the time as i understand it.

I am referring to the novels... I am aware of the tabletop option (not requirement) to do so but I am arguing from a place of conceptually. The table also lets you run an all terminator army and calls it First Company, I would hardly say that means they eat up the entire conceptual bandwidth or that First Companies are said to be all terminators despite their usually being the showpiece and their association. 

In the novels they are by far the exception. And in most every piece of lore I've read since 4th ed, which I am afraid is when I started (I am aware that makes me something of a neophyte to some but it is quite a while still). Perfectly possible I am misremembering of course, unlike Fulgrim I am still imperfect. Probably because I havent had lizard skin stapled to a penguin lately.

Edited by StrangerOrders