40 minutes ago, LSM said:

*A... power axe, if you will?

I might ask the admins if we can have a groan emoji.

on the wider point, I hate to come across all “Rogue-Tradier-than-thou”, but the original Realm of Chaos Emperor’s Children army list pre-dated Noise Marines. The defining EC trait was not particularly duellists, but their mockery of the Imperium by retaining their name. So I would really like it if they created a completely new unit, and we can have our cake and eat it over whether “most” EC are noise marines. Perhaps that could be the eventual fate of those who survive long enough - a blessing or a curse.

3 minutes ago, StrangerOrders said:

I am referring to the novels... I am aware of the tabletop but I am arguing from a place of conceptually. The table also lets you run an all terminator army, I would hardly say that means they eat up the entire conceptual badwidth.

In the novels they are by far the exception.

Maybe worth noting that the Fabius Bile trilogy is "historical". (The end of the first book takes place in M34, and the climax of the last book is in M37.)

//

Looking back at the old Codex: Chaos to pull that previous quote, and I had forgotten that Noise Marines used to have a "Psychic Cacophony" special rule whereby any Psyker within 16", when attempting to cast, rolled a die against the value of their psychic level, else the attempt failed and they suffered a wound. (Daemons were unaffected, and it's mentioned that Great Unclean ones are particularly noted for cheerfully humming along to Noise Marines.)*

Also, this rockin' depiction:

EmerorsChildren7.jpg.42d9198b8925d9f48bf6e40d785a3c20.jpg

*Nurgle + Slaanesh, the STD army.

7 minutes ago, LSM said:

Maybe worth noting that the Fabius Bile trilogy is "historical". (The end of the first book takes place in M34, and the climax of the last book is in M37.)

//

Looking back at the old Codex: Chaos to pull that previous quote, and I had forgotten that Noise Marines used to have a "Psychic Cacophony" special rule whereby any Psyker within 16", when attempting to cast, rolled a die against the value of their psychic level, else the attempt failed and they suffered a wound. (Daemons were unaffected, and it's mentioned that Great Unclean ones are particularly noted for cheerfully humming along to Noise Marines.)*

Lords of Excess just came out and follows the template of the Fabius warbands but is set in the 'present' so it wouldnt be impossible.

Mid book but the Noise Marines were insane in it! I love their attacks literally momentarily snapping reality and regenerating from headshots lol (with more amps sprouting from the wounds!).

Some cool EC concepts in it too. A fat cannibal champion with a claymore. A money-obsessed terminator that melts down wargear to pour on himself. And a vain pseudo-clone gifted from Fabius with Fulgrim's eyes!

I don't begrudge folks but the option but not requirement approach would be nice!

That art is awesome incidentally!

I kinda want a guy like the Orchestrator in the Fabius books. Boom box shoulders and Amps for hands! Literally a 'person' shaped metal stage lol

Edited by StrangerOrders

I am delighted to have an EC codex coming in the foreseeable future for sure.

I am a little worried about which units are going to be left out.

I guess allies are a thing.

I would hate to see spawns, oblits and havocs go.

Also very interested in the cultists they might recive while owning approximately 80 dark vangeance cultists.

2 minutes ago, StrangerOrders said:

Lords of Excess just came out and follows the template of the Fabius warbands but is set in the 'present' though! 

I'm (excitedly) waiting for the paperback, nice to hear that it's entertaining. (If I need to headcanon things, I'll just remember that Xantine's only recently taken over a Children of Torment warband. They haven't had time to fully embrace the noise. ;p)

(Seriously though, I agree on hoping that C:EC will be broad enough that everyone can get what they want. Even if purple + gold duelists seems too reminiscent to me of when the Emperor's yoke was still stifling the Legion.)

As excided as I am for a full EC codex, I do have to pump the brakes on some excitement here. 

The WE got their index in May '22, with the 9e CSM codex release. The announcement of the index said that the WE codex was "a little ways off" but came with some weapon previews of new chainaxes. They then got their actual codex release in Feb '23, 9 months later. 

What Are EC getting? No previews, just a blurb saying the codex is too distant to detect. 

You might think that this heralds the imminent announcement of a new Codex, perhaps one bound in human skin and painted in garish colours – but if so, it’s too distant for even Warhammer Community’s astropathic choir to detect any signals, and we got a stern talking to from the Inquisitors for even trying. We can only assume we’re safe for the foreseeable future, but if that changes then we’ll let you know.

So I'm not expecting anything for a year+. If anything, we're earmarked for the end of edition releases like WE were, which means they might actually be 2+ years out. 

19 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

As excided as I am for a full EC codex, I do have to pump the brakes on some excitement here. 

The WE got their index in May '22, with the 9e CSM codex release. The announcement of the index said that the WE codex was "a little ways off" but came with some weapon previews of new chainaxes. They then got their actual codex release in Feb '23, 9 months later. 

What Are EC getting? No previews, just a blurb saying the codex is too distant to detect. 

So I'm not expecting anything for a year+. If anything, we're earmarked for the end of edition releases like WE were, which means they might actually be 2+ years out. 

On the other hand, before today it was "yes, eventually", and now it's "yes, within the foreseeable future", so I say that even though it's but a small reason to celebrate, a celebration it is. Slaanesh would take nothing less. :laugh:

5 hours ago, Redcomet said:

Expect more WE scale. 1-2 characters, noise marines, cultists, some sort of elite unit, maybe Terminators. And thats it. No Primarch as he is in FW resin

Mortarion, Magnus and Angron are also in FW Resin and they still got plastics for 40K??

Edited by TheWarmaster

3 minutes ago, TheWarmaster said:

Mortarion, Magnus and Angron are also in FW Resin and they still got plastics for 40K??

Fulgrim has a Daemon Primarch mini in Horus Heresy Forgeworld resin, so Redcomet is suggesting that because of that model there won't be a plastic Daemon Fulgrim.

However, the Horus Heresy team have stated they're going to make Horus Heresy versions of all the Daemon Primarchs in resin anyway, so it's not really a reason to not have Plastic Fulgrim.

2 minutes ago, ZeroWolf said:

Rest assured, it's different teams, so there will be a £95* plastic Fulgrim

* if it came out right now, apply future price increases as applicable.

Magnus is £100 depending on where's selling him, so with 4 arms, a polearm and massive wings I'd assume he'll be Magnus price.

This is vs Angron and Morty who are being sold significantly below that in some places.

Edited by Indy Techwisp

2 hours ago, LSM said:

//

This artwork and the story in the 2nd ed codex is what sold me on noise marines. 

I sincerely hope the minis end up like this. I'm apprehensive having waited 30 years for this I hope it blows me away like heresy fulgrim has.

I wonder if Noise Marines will be troops or elites. In the lore there's a clear distinction between the regular EC as slaaneshi CSM, and Noise Marines are more of an elite/support unit used pretty much like Havocs. They don't care much about the politics of the warbands while they are get to sing the Song of Slaanesh

6 hours ago, DemonGSides said:

Fulgrim will definitely get a model.  Whether it'll be with this release is less clear.

They're already talking about the new Angron Ascendant model for 30k, and he has a 40k model.

Who is talking about a new Angron model? I've not seen GW mention anything.

It seems so funny to me that the Studio remembered Lucius is a thing before Black Library did. Not even a token appearance during the Siege of Terra, just gone for 20+ books, stranded in who knows where, for almost 7 years now.

The Siege even forgot the Emperor's Children presence on Terra almost completely. Fulgrim never showed up OR left the planet after book 4, so Emperor's Children turned into an irrelevancy, too unimportant for Dorn to even account for them in his plans.

Here's hoping this release will spark some actual books from BL again.

Edited by DarkChaplain

Not fussed about the index rules as I'm not interested in 10th edition, but after all these years of waiting it's nice to be getting close to a 40k Emperor's Children range, even if the article makes me suspect we'll be waiting for a year or more. I hope they've done my boys justice.

I'm starting a betting pool on what the release timeline for the codex is, and what it will be.
50:1 odds that the codex doesn't come out this edition.

10:1 odds that it comes out this calendar year.
7:1 that there are no new noise marine models
4:1 that there is no Fulgrim
3:1 that we get a bespoke terminator
2:1 that Lucius is the only named character in it

Edited by TheWillTheWay

7 minutes ago, Tokugawa said:

If a EC terminator product exist, what theme would it bear? "Duelist" like 30K, or "Bigger Boombox"?

99590102153_EmperorsChildrenPhoenixTermi

If you look at the Terminator Praetor for the EC in 30k you actually kind of get both, the termi cowl has a raised grill back that is kind of like an amp. 

Actually seems like a bridge design and might be suggestive. Just take it from discreet to swollen and they look like they have speakers on their back.

Alot of room to make it grotesque and fill it with graffity, bling and drug injectors.

My bigger question is what level of bare skin we are getting! I am kind of expecting to have even more bare skin than Chaos Possessed!

3 minutes ago, Tokugawa said:

If a EC terminator product exist, what theme would it bear? "Duelist" like 30K, or "Bigger Boombox"?

I'm hoping for Sonic Cult Terminators - they've been around in the rules since the original Index Astartes in 3rd edition and were playable for quite some time but we've never had models for them.

The Legiones Hereticus rules note that after Fulgrim's ascension many of the Phoenix Terminators go a little bonkers as there's little point being a bodyguard for an immortal flying danger snake, but they could explore other aspects of the Phoenix Guard (as Terminators weren't the only way they fought) or show what 10,000 years has done to what remains of the formation.

So much potential! Honestly I wouldn't complain about either Sonic Terms or 40k-era Phoenix Terms if the models look great. But I suspect GW will look to differentiate their 40k EC range from 30k era material rather than transplanting things straight across.

3 minutes ago, Marshal Loss said:

I'm hoping for Sonic Cult Terminators - they've been around in the rules since the original Index Astartes in 3rd edition and were playable for quite some time but we've never had models for them.

The Legiones Hereticus rules note that after Fulgrim's ascension many of the Phoenix Terminators go a little bonkers as there's little point being a bodyguard for an immortal flying danger snake, but they could explore other aspects of the Phoenix Guard (as Terminators weren't the only way they fought) or show what 10,000 years has done to what remains of the formation.

So much potential! Honestly I wouldn't complain about either Sonic Terms or 40k-era Phoenix Terms if the models look great. But I suspect GW will look to differentiate their 40k EC range from 30k era material rather than transplanting things straight across.

You could run sonic weapon armed termies in 2nd ed too.

My crazy prediction:

They release the silver knight of Slaanesh as a model alongside the codex and that they squat Kaldor Draigo in the grey knights codex because he is the silver knight.

It probably won't happen but if it does I'll lose my mind and I will never shut up about how I got it right.

24 minutes ago, TheWillTheWay said:

My crazy prediction:

They release the silver knight of Slaanesh as a model alongside the codex and that they squat Kaldor Draigo in the grey knights codex because he is the silver knight.

It probably won't happen but if it does I'll lose my mind and I will never shut up about how I got it right.

My crazy Prediction.
EC get Doomrider, but he doesn't have a head because his head is here:

01.jpg?fm=webp&w=670