The Unofficial Alpha Legionaire's Tactical Primer

Zaltys

Well I could see your H.Bolter Havocs taking hits since the range is shorter, but as for the the autocannons I usually anchor them in the heaviest cover in the corner of the board, waiting for some Rhinos or Dreads to waltz through their line of fire. I don't think my Havocs have ever taken small arms fire...

when you infiltrate them, you dont put them in a forward position do you? The only time I would do that is if my opponent left his flank bare with a good piece of cover.

But hey to each their own (I just think that tank hunter unit is incredibly expensive!)

I like the rest of your list tho, pretty solid.

i don't put them far forward, outside of 24" in cover. they just attract a lot of fire from battle cannons, railguns etc. i played guard last night and they drew quite a bit of fire but due to deploying them where only half his army could see them, they survived really well and just splatted a whole lot of guard. i can see it helping a lot against deepstriking as well.

Question:

How do you best prepare for "anything" using your Alpha Legion?

MOST of my AL troops have BP/CC and MoCU, Infiltrate and Furious Charge...

MY CONCERN IS: What do when INFILTRATING is not allowed? And, what to do vs. Assaulty and/or Horde armies?

So, my thinking is, would we be better off, in tournament situations, with taking BOLTERS on all infiltrating AL troops instead of BP/CC? Would losing an attack be an OK trade for being able to stand off and shoot and rapid fire if necessary?

The best preparation for anything is to have everything.

What you're describing is exactly why i take mostly bolters. Chaos Marines aren't that bad in combat anyway and packed up by powerfist can take on most things in the game provided you've got a bit of shooting in first.

With infiltrate i can generally watch the opponent set up their stuff and work out where their weak spots are and hit them hard enough with the vast majority of my army and then be left facing 70% of their army with most of mine.

Against assault armies i depends on how they deploy. if they deploy really spread out then i just go completely to one side and concentrate on a part of their army. If they group on one side, then i just go on the other and blast them to bits.

If its a shooty army that can outshoot me and they deploy castled in one corner, its tough. Then i just lob battle cannon shells indiscriminately at them and try and mass my infiltrating force at one point.

If infiltration isn't allowed, i'm not that bothered. My list still has quite a lot of long range shooting units and the rest will have to walk...it happens. Luckily for me, tournaments over here in the UK all have infiltrate in them :tu:

As an end note, rapid fire has got so much better now in 4th ed (duh!) and its very much worth if you can concentrate two squads worth into one unit. Even if you're infiltrating your CC marines 12.00000001" away from the enemy, they can still run from you and force you to take a lot of hits on the way into combat which will render their combat effectiveness to very low. I definitely think its worth taking a few CC marines though as its inevitable but bolter marines will win you the game.

My tactical philosophy is similar to Gilgalads. Bolter CSMs are versatile in that they can assault and counter-assault pretty much equally. I like to have one BP/CCW squad per two bolter squads (just so fast attacking units cannot tie up my bolter squads).

When infiltrate is not allowed (and vs some armies when it IS allowed) I favour the counter assault tactic. Let them come to you, shoot them up on the way in and assault them just before they reach your lines.

Long ranged weaponry is vital when infiltrate is not allowed I favour Havocs and Obliterators (although this can be substituted with fast attack units).

Keep your units supported and victory is none less possible.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been reading the entire thread and thought I would post my list for some constructive critizism.

Yes, I play with army builder too much and yes I had some extra time on my hands. I am dishing most of my chaos stuff and realizing I have tons of plain Chaos marine box sets. I have liked Alpha Legion since the CSM dex' came out, but been like doing 6 other armies. The Alpha Legion are somewhat frugal on equipment, etc. So, I decided to combine these concepts and set a price limit, for yet another army, of 250bucks total before tax. The equivalent of 10 Csm box sets. Here is the list I came up with.

Chaos Lt: Infil. Dem Str. Melta Bombs Spikey bits Pwr wpn/bp 91pts

Chaos Lt: Infil. Kai Gun/Pwr wpn 90pts

Chosen: Infil. 2w/cc+bp 1asp ch. PF/BP 2asp ch. PW/BP 193pts

Possessed:8 w/demon talons 216pts

Troop 1: 11 Csm w/Infil. cc/bp 1asp ch. PF/BP 207pts

Troop 2: 11 Csm w/Infi. Bolters 1asp ch. PF/BP 207pts

Troop 3: 8 Csm w/Infil. Bolters 1 asp ch. PF/BP 1 HB 1PG 162pts

Troop 4: same as troop 3 162pts

Havocs 8 w/Infil Bolters 4 Plasma Guns 180pts

Havocs 8 w/Infil Bolters 4 Heavy Bolters 180pts

1850pts 80marines 72Infiltrate

This army is half assembled. Thanks to my non painting technique army flip flopping is easy

This list is made from nothing but the standard CSM box set and some minor converting. Ten box sets where used at $25 bucks each.

Tactics are pretty straight forward. Use infil where possible to deny a flank, focusing most of my firepower on a part of the opponents army then moving on. Stand and shoot then counter vs assault armies. Stand and shoot armies with no infiltrate rules I will ponder, as well as vehicle heavy armies, but 80 marines is always tough.

Also any painting tips would be appreciated, especially in regards to the AL's base color. Is it Black Primer/Dark Blue with green ink stain or Black Primer/Dark Green w/Blue stain, etc.

Thank You,

Beatdemskulls

P.S.

Reposted, since I put it in the wrong spot the first time, sorry.

Not bad, but I fear a tank heavy army will hurt you.

I'd say add some meltas into the mix somewhere? Maybe the plasma havocs.

And throw troop 1 a couple of flamers.

Alternatively strip down Troop 3-4 into 7 man Lascannon/Plasma squads.

• 2 weeks later...

try using a sorcerer too and put him with the squad. Take a couple of movement minour powers and pray for fleet of foot. That way you can also try and get a small ten man unit slapping bombs on a tank turn one!

Or maybe make a 20 man unit (which couldnt really hide away using the 12 inch infiltrate rule) a very big fast threat. Scared the jeepers outta my opponents.

Gary

Hi guys im a newbie! Playing chaos since the big yellow codex and Alpha Legion Specifically for two years ( so im new here but not green). Got the link from over 40online and though i'd join this cool site too. :)

Anyho my current tournament roster (for london conflict - 1000pts) is as follows:

Lord - undivided, infiltrate, lighning claws, speed, resilience,spikey,armour,aura

1 obliterator.

5 man squad with bolter, lasc,plasma, und, infiltrate.

5 man squad with bolter, missile, plasma, und

6 man squad with bolter x2 plasma - und,inf

6 man squad with bolter plasma,melta - und, inf

Dread- plas cannon, dirge caster, extra armour, smoke

5 havoks, und, inf, tank hunt - x3 autocannon, 1 missile launch.

Basically the dread and missile launch squad are used to establish a deployment zone so i dont get "out infiltated" and have to set up in pants places.

The dirge caster keeps vps by running up to broken squads and making em fearless.

the lord gets a first turn charge and goes for opponents nasty fire support squads.

The rest uses infiltrate to deploy and take out a flank/ unit at a time with overpowering firepower.

Working quite well, the first turn charge usually throws the enemy in to panic to deal with lord and return fire power is reduced alowing me to dominate shooting - vs close combat armys its more of a holding back and counter attack style.

The obliterator is a cheeky chap for blowing up indirect basalisks or flamming eldar scouts etc- stuff that usually doesnt get too close to the action and the rapid fireing stuff cant reach. It can also claim table quarters and can hide quite well being only one.

I have found the main trick with alpha legion is overwealming units by getting within 24 using inf and using interveining cover to block the worst of the return fire and also knowing when an assault army is going to overwhealm u and choosing/taking out the fastest threats.

So, a long post sorry- got a lot to say on alpha legion but its a bit cheeky sticking a disitaion of two years experience on as my first post.

Hope to stick arround for a while B)

Gary

The dirge caster keeps vps by running up to broken squads and making em fearless.

the lord gets a first turn charge and goes for opponents nasty fire support squads.

I have found the main trick with alpha legion is overwealming units by getting within 24 using inf and using interveining cover to block the worst of the return fire and also knowing when an assault army is going to overwhealm u and choosing/taking out the fastest threats.

So, a long post sorry-  got a lot to say on alpha legion but its a bit cheeky sticking a disitaion of two years experience on as my first post.

Hope to stick arround for a while :P

Gary

dont understand how making a unit fearless will un-break them.

also why do you just want to get in 24"? Get within 12" on turn 1 or 2 and unleash rapid fire hell. If you play it right and overwhelm one flank you can demolish that side quicker than sitting at 24" and then facing enemy reinforcements coming across before you've dealt with one side completely.

Against a clever opponent, the infiltrating speed lord isn't that good as they'll protect the weaker squads with throwaway squads or let you chance it on the first turn in the open.

on the list, i don't really like 6 man squads. The odd squad yeah, but making the whole 6 man is easier to give up victory points. especially the expensive havoc squad which you want to give the most protection to really.

I wouldn't bother with the dirge caster on the dread - you're already ld9 with a re-roll so each squad is more likely to be completely wiped than to run anyway - especially with the small numbers you have.

I'd also swap the meltagun for another plasma as you have enough anti-tank around.

How do you plan on beating swarm armies like orks and nids??

btw writing a dissertation on your first post isn't a bad thing, do it.

Oh dont get me wrong - you gotta play every game by ear - when i said get within 24 i mean "shoot first turn" if a gap opens up to get some 12 rapid firing going on i'll take it!!

Was a discussion on another forum - if dirge caster gets in range of a broken unit (under 50%) they will rally as by being fearless you would "pass any morale check even if failure would be automatic" and thats all running away under 50% is. - i do agree with you but i had a few points left kicking about - it sometimes gets left out for a seventh marine.

And i respect you few and even agree but in a small 1000 games how many throw away units you gonna see? - in bigger or even friendly games he gets toned down. But in a 1000 comp he kicks ass as alot of people are min/maxing and he ripps these units apart.

swarm armys - i find the 3 autocannon havok sqaud and multiple bolter shots work.

Dont get me wrong i dont win all the time but this army (or variants off) has one a few tourneys. Im taking it to london conflict this year to give it a proper test then adding 500pts and going to the GT with any lessons learned.

stll every bodys always got something to learn so comments always welcome!!

Gary

When i say throwaway units, i mean the troop choices instead of the heavy support choices. Thinking mainly marines here, but sacrificing a tactical squad to protect a dev squad isn't such a bad deal when your infiltrating lord gets wacked. I've never been a fan of wiping out squads in the round when you charge in. It leaves you open to enemy shooting and makes for an easier countercharge. Hence i use the 101pt Ratboy formula. Never kills enough to make the squad run in the first round of combat generally but makes them run next turn. Or makes sure his charge allows a 3" consolidation into the next squad.

I don't buy the dirge caster affecting below half strength units. Above half strength yeah but not below. Besides you'd have to fail two Ld9 tests in the first place which shouldn't really happen very often.

if you dropped the dirge caster you could upgrade the missile launcher to a lascannon as small blasts suck-diddily-uck, and then give the lord daemonic visage if you want to run around wipiing squads in one go.

Thats an idea for sure.

I havent given the lord any strength upgrades or furious charge,as he used to do what u mentioned " kill every thing turn one - enemy runs, he gets shot" - i have found that keeping him like the above its generally a wipe out on the second turn (but not always).

but anyways looks like london confilct is postponed and i wont make the reschedule date. So it looks like im gonna have to go strait to GT. I shall retire from this 1000 list/tactic discussion and come back later when i have play tested the 1500 version (which will prob be totaly different!)

But the above are my 1000pts tactics for prosperity though.

Thanks for the feedback, and i look forward to many an discussion on main forum posts.

Gary

Thats an idea for sure. 

I havent given the lord any strength upgrades or furious charge,as he used to do what u mentioned " kill every thing turn one - enemy runs, he gets shot" - i have found that keeping him like the above its generally a wipe out on the second turn (but not always).

but anyways looks like london confilct is postponed and i wont make the reschedule date.  So it looks like im gonna have to go strait to GT.  I shall retire from this 1000 list/tactic discussion and come back later when i have play tested the 1500 version (which will prob be totaly different!)

But the above are my 1000pts tactics for prosperity though.

Thanks for the feedback, and i look forward to many an discussion on main forum posts.

Gary

yeah its good to talk with people that have similar ideas about their armies (your army is quite similar to mine). What GT are you going to? If its heat 2, i'll see you there.

I havn't posted in a while, but here is my most recent list for 1k.

Lieutenant

-Terminator Armor

-Dark Blade

-CCW

-Mutation

-Spiky Bitz

121 pts.

4 Chosen Terminators

-Reaper Autocannon

-2 Power Fists

-Champion w/ Mutation, Strength, Visage

201 pts.

8 Chaos Space Marines

-MoCU

-Infiltrate

-2 Plasmaguns

-Aspiring Champion w/ Power Weapon, Strength, Mutation, Visage

188 pts.

8 Chaos Space Marines

-MoCU

-Infiltrate

-2 Plasmaguns

-Aspiring Champion w/ Power Fist, Mutation, Visage

188 pts.

8 Chaos Space Marines

-MoCU

-Infiltrate

-2 Meltaguns

-Aspiring Champion w/ Power Fist, Mutation, Visage

188 pts.

16 Cultists

-Champion w/ Power Weapon

111 pts.

997 pts.

Ther Terminators seem a little strange in a 1000 pt. list, but I wanted something besides lots of power armored marines and cultists. They will be fun to convert (going to use those pretty new loyalist ones) on top of having some mean power on the battlefield (not to mention the Lt. can go through entire units on his own :D ).

Welcome to the Alpha Legion Rkhaine. Not a bad starter-list. Heres my advice:

+++Lord: I question two items of wargear- the plasma pistol and d.aura. overheating on an expensive character=bad and +5 invul save aint that good...

My suggestion; make him an assassin. Give him D.Strength so he has S8 on the charge and can autokill other characters. And give him D.Speed so hes almost always guaranteed to get the charge (and the Furious Charge bonus)

+++Marines: Your squads are too big for infiltrators. You'll have a helluva time hiding a squad that large. My suggestion: Make them 8-10 marine squads.

Why give your champions Demonic Aura??? Thats a waste. Break up those 2 big squads into 3 squads and use those D.Aura points for plasma guns for the 3rd squad.

+++Cultists: Try to free up the points for a few extra Cultists in each unit and the MoCU for the second squad.

Other than that, the list should work well.

Good luck!

try not to post individual points cost - its in the board rules why we shouldn't.

as for the list - no plasma? i find these indispensible nowadays, particularly in shooty squads with bolters.

Not convinced about terminators - is that 342pts for 6? i assume so as you have two reaper autocannons in there.

i suggest autocannons instead of missile launchers as weight of shots is better and they've always been superior in performance for me.

other than that i like it.

Sorry, I shouldve mentioned, just list what you have in the unit, not the point costs.

I think adding the squad cost or characters cost is okay, just not the cost for wargear for example (we know that stuff anyway :P )

Anyhow, the list looks better. The Lord will definitely mess some people up.

Im not really convinced on plasma pistols, I prefer guns instead.

Why not make a meltagun squad the bp/ccw squad, since meltas are assault weapons.

Make the plasma squad all bolters and plasma guns so they can rapidfire more plasma death. B)

Chaos lord: infiltrate, furious charge, daemonic fire, daemonic aura, twin lc, MoCu 135

2x 20 cultists: assassins 280

9 chaos marines: bp ccw infiltrate 182

champ: bp pw

9 chaos marines: 7 bolters 2 plasma guns 202

champ: bolter power weapon

10 bloodleters 260

Defiler: parasitic possession 220

9 raptors: 3 plasma pistols 358

champ: plasma pistol power fist

3 obliterators: 210

Archived