Jump to content

The Castigators


Commissar Molotov

Recommended Posts

Ok I’ve got a couple of titles for you Molotov.

 

Templar of the Sanctuary – this could be the title of the 2nd company captain similar to the Master of the Watch

Custodian of the Chapel of Heroes – quite long but this guy could be responsible for chapters few TDA

Guardian of the Crypt – responsible for the chapters funeral rites and its dreadnoughts

Scourge of the Emperor – I don’t know what this guy could do but I thought it sounded cool :)

Master of the Holocaust / Lord of Xenocide – Castigators hate mutants and xenos and killing millions of them (even if they would be unarmed and defenceless) would be a great honour

Deacon – Castigators have much in common with catholic church so maybe this could be a title for the guy that can lead the battle brothers in prayer before the battle while there’s no chaplain present (I suppose every Castigators Captain would be a Deacon as you said they are skilled orators)

Master of Flagellation – the recruitment in Castrigators is extremely tough so I suppose this could be the title of the 10th company captain similar to the Master of the Recruits

Hey, Keyoz. It's certainly good to see you around again. I am intent on using the traditional titles. So I have these to work with, taken from the third edition Codex: Space Marines:

 

Company I: Captain Escalus

Company II: Captain Caphius, Master of the Watch

Company III: Captain Sirius, Master of the Arsenal

Company IV: Captain Timon, Master of the Fleet

Company V: Captain Anteas, Master of the Marches

Company VI: Captain Ramus

Company VII: Captain Lucien, Chief Victualler

Company VIII: Captain Tigris

Company IX: Captain Malus

Company X: Captain Venatus, Master of the Recruits

 

For the moment, I'm ignoring the titles of 'Magister Primus' and 'Regent of Ultramar' given to the First Company Captain of the Ultramarines.

 

Then there's other titles:

 

The Chapter Standard Bearer is known as 'Ancient'.

The Chief Librarian is known as... well... 'Chief Librarian' (although he can also go by the title of 'Senior Epistolary'.)

The Chief Techmarine is known as the Master of the Forge.

The Chief Apothecary is known as the Chief Apothecary. (Though I'm hoping to use the term 'Apothecary Primus', just because it sounds cool.)

The senior Chaplain is known as the Master of Sanctity.

 

I did read about the Sixth Company Captain often being the 'Master of the Rites', and I quite like the idea of having someone in charge of the various celebrations and rituals the Castigators undertake (for example, the one that happens every fourteen years.)

 

I also came up with two more. I was thinking that the Tenth Company Captain could be known within the Chapter as 'the Furious Angel'. This is in part a reference back to an age-old project of mine, the Angels of Fury, but more importantly to the way that the inhabitants of Losanco see the Castigators as divine angels.

 

I was also planning to have the First-Captain take the title 'Eternal Crusader'. The Castigators have sworn a crusade (now the longest in the Chapter's history) to hunt down the Reapers (also known as the Harvesters) for breaking the Oath sworn by the Vocates Chapters. The Eternal Crusader is charged with maintaining the Chapter's vigil against the traitors.

 

Interesting that you should say that the Castigators have a lot in common with the Catholic church. What makes you say that? The title of Deacon is something that's used within redemptionist cults within 40k so I'm not entirely sure about using it, but the comparison that you draw interests me. :tu:

Well Castigators are burning witches, waiting for the Emperors second coming , they are puritans and zealots , their fortress monastery is called the Sanctuary and large part of it is given over to the chapels , and they see themselves as the loyalist counterpart of the Word Bearers.

Mhmm, I guess I can see some parallels, though I think that the majority of those apply more to the Ecclesiarchy and the Imperial cult in general. I think it's possible to see the Emperor as a Jesus Christ-like figure, especially in the doctrines of the Castigators, who see him as undertaking a massive sacrifice. The concept of sacrifice features heavily in their Chapter cult.

 

In other news, I got bored without the internet and did this. It's hardly a Scally masterpiece, but it kept me entertained.

 

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigators/Castibolter.jpg

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/smbeta2.php?bpe=79000C&bpj=79000C&bp=79000C&bpc=79000C&hdt=79000C&hdm=79000C&hdl=79000C&ey=007BFF&er=79000C&pi=8A8A8A&nk=79000C&ch=79000C&eg=000000&sk=000000&abs=79000C&bt=79000C&cod=79000C&ull=79000C&lk=79000C&lll=79000C&lft=79000C&url=79000C&rk=79000C&lrl=79000C&rft=79000C&slt=000000&sli=79000C&srt=000000&sri=79000C&ula=79000C&lel=79000C&lla=79000C&lw=79000C&lh=79000C&ura=79000C&rel=79000C&rla=79000C&rw=79000C&rh=79000C&bg=FFFFFF&rb=000000&gr=8A8A8A&grid=TRUE&wg=true&hsk=true&mk6=true&cloak=fce3b8&lightshade=true&loin=fce3b8&chps=A60000&comi=FFFFFF&slips=A60000&mk6kn=true&frag=00AA00&krk=CC0000&pp=000000&pws=true&spl2=533B1C&spr2=533B1C

So Scally surprised me with a PM yesterday, sending me a Castigator in the new, darker red. I know to some it doesn't seem like much, but when the two are side-by-side, I think you can see that there's a considerable difference between them.

 

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Vocates/castigatorsss7.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Vocates/Castigators.gif

 

I'm continuing ever-forward on subtle edits of the IA article, hoping to get a Castigators website of some sort up soon...

 

 

In other news, I'm detailing Castigator campaigns today; more on that later:

 

The Truth War

The Truth War of .M37 was a time of great tragedy for the Castigators - a time that stretched the bonds of honour the Chapter enjoys with the Inquisition to breaking point. A time that saw the Castigators charged with heresy and ended with the death of the legendary Hero-Captain, Lycidius.

 

Inquisitor Reichenbach was an aging member of the Ordo Hereticus. His mind was said by some to be on the edge of sanity, stranding him in a state of constant paranoia. His body had been ritually purified by the Ecclesiarchy and the Inquisition; his mind had been declared untainted by the depredations of CHaos. And yet, Reichenbach was plagued by dark dreams that proclaimed the end of the Imperium was at hand--a dark time that only he could prevent.

 

Reichenbach arrived at the sanctuary in XXX.M37. Invoking binding pacts between the Castigators and the Inquisition, he requested that Chapter Master Orosius provide him with two squads of Marines to aid him in a mission of vital importance to the Imperium. Orosius, keen to maintain cordial relationships with the Inquisition, acquiesced. Two full squads of warriors from the honour First Company departed with Reichenbach aboard his vessel.

 

 

-----

 

 

 

Company I: Captain Escalus, Eternal Crusader

Company II: Captain Caphius, Master of the Watch

Company III: Captain Sirius, Master of the Arsenal

Company IV: Captain Timon, Master of the Fleet

Company V: Captain Anteas, Master of the Marches

Company VI: Captain Ramus, Master of the Rites

Company VII: Captain Lucien, Chief Victualler

Company VIII: Captain Tigris

Company IX: Captain Malus

Company X: Captain Venatus, Master of the Recruits

Well, I'm ever working on these scarlet-clad zealots, and I'm interested in some brainstorming from you guys.

 

I've radically re-written the Combat Doctrine section, and I'd welcome input.

 

Today, I'm considering the Castigators' Fleet.

 

The Ultramarines are noted in the Third Edition Codex as having three Battle Barges and twelve Rapid Strike Cruisers. I made a conscious effort to have a smaller fleet than the Ultramarines - after all, the Castigators don't have an Ultramar to run.

 

So I decided on two Battle Barges and six Strike Cruisers. Up until now, the Castigators' flagship has been known as the Imperius Excelsis and at times I've refered to her counterpart as the Gladius Castigator.

 

I've recently been naming Strike Cruisers, and I have these five names:

Thrice-Blessed Sword

Sacred Endeavour

Inviolate

Ascendant

Defiant

 

Now I'm not entirely sold on having ship names in High Gothic. Although I liked the idea of calling a vessel Lux Videbis or 'You will see the light' (A Broken Sword reference, to anyone who has ever played it.) With that said, I can easily use the phrase elsewhere.

 

So I'm looking to name a Strike Cruiser and (possibly two) Battle Barges. I quite liked the idea of naming one of the Barges Holy Enterprise as the sci-fi geek in me would exult. Plus, it fits alongside Sacred Endeavour, so...

 

 

So your input is welcome on that. Even if you were to name squadrons of the smaller escort craft.

 

-----------

 

A second (interesting) issue is the issue of heraldry and standards. Obviously the heraldry of a Captain and the heraldry of a Company Standard don't need to be the same. The Ultramarines Fourth displays the Iron Gauntlet of Captain Idaeus as an honour, and continued displaying it through the command of Uriel Ventris.

 

I'm working on heraldries and standards for the main Captains, with the aim of getting them drawn up. But I'd love imput from you guys.

 

Standards

  • Company I:
  • Company I: Something involving the Crux Terminatus?
  • Company II: An Imperial Eagle tearing apart a snake.
  • Company III: A Starburst, with an Iron Skull
  • Company IV: The Blade of Thorns
  • Company V: ???

 

Heraldries

  • Company I: ???
  • Company II: ???
  • Company III: A Starburst
  • Company IV: The Blade of Thorns
  • Company V: ???

 

I appreciate designing heraldries is a little tough if you don't know the guys involved, but I'll put up some thoughts later today. I'd just welcome any input whatsoever.

 

----

 

Another issue: Captain Sirius (the Master of the Arsenal) has a Power Sword that hasn't got a name. If you guys have any ideas for naming the Sword, I'd be quite grateful. Other such weapons in the Chapter include Purgator (Captain Escalus's sword), the Blade of Thorns (Captain Timon's sword) and the Sword of Sorrow (Captain Anteas's sword). Even if you wanted to come up with a name for Captain Caphius's Power Fist, it all helps add character to them.

 

----

 

Next on my ever-present list of concerns - Chapter Master Quintilius is quite the background Character. He has a personality, as the glue that sticks the Chapter together. But you don't get to be a Chapter Master without being a decent warrior, and I'd like to give him a personality. Any ideas as to weaponry would be welcomed. Even thoughts about his armour or the like.

 

----

 

Something else I was discussing with Barret last night was making the Librarians (or some of the more senior Librarians 'anti-psykers' in a sense. I was reading the WFB Tomb Kings book and there's a jewel that absorbs psychic energy. And the Daemonhunters have a 'null rod' (prevents psychic attacks affecting the unit) - and in the Apocalypse book there's a 'null field generator'. I was thinking that fluff-wise, aside from their boundless faith in the Emperor, the Castigators don't have much of a defence against a rogue psyker seperating them into constituent atoms*. I'm not even thinking of standard issue to all Librarians, but a couple of rare items in the Castigators' armoury that might be utilised by senior Librarians. Or perhaps this could be a piece of equipment that Chapter Master Quintilius gets to use.

 

Your thoughts on that are welcome, too.

 

 

*Of course, some will say that that's all the Castigators would need. So I'm a little torn.

 

------

 

Lastly (for now), I have these icons:

 

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigators/Castiblack1.pnghttp://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigators/Castiblack2.png

 

...and I'm quite interested in getting the Castigators into Dawn of War but all the kerfluffle over '.tga files' and the such confuses me. Is there anyone who can help me out/enlighten me?

So I'm looking to name a Strike Cruiser and (possibly two) Battle Barges. I quite liked the idea of naming one of the Barges Holy Enterprise as the sci-fi geek in me would exult. Plus, it fits alongside Sacred Endeavour, so...

 

The Flaming Torch, the Transcendant Blade ?

 

Another issue: Captain Sirius (the Master of the Arsenal) has a Power Sword that hasn't got a name. If you guys have any ideas for naming the Sword, I'd be quite grateful. Other such weapons in the Chapter include Purgator (Captain Escalus's sword), the Blade of Thorns (Captain Timon's sword) and the Sword of Sorrow (Captain Anteas's sword). Even if you wanted to come up with a name for Captain Caphius's Power Fist, it all helps add character to them.

 

The Blade of Atonement?

What about smaller cruisers and the like? (such as the hunter class destroyer). Does the chapter include any? I'll be along sometime in the near future to make more in-depth comments, but with midterms and all, time is a bit of a concern for me >_>

Ferrus:

 

Flaming Torch doesn't sit with me too well. It seems like something the Redemptors would have rather than the Castigators. As to the Blade... hrm, I'm not sure. I might have to find some context.

 

With regards to the Blade of Atonement - what on Earth does Sirius have to atone for? :) Barret suggested Sunbringer or Sword of the Sunbringer but I didn't really like either of them. Sirius wears the sunburst as he is Master of the Arsenal, and can bring death down upon the enemy. You have to consider the important role the sun plays in the lives of the Losancan populace - the sun is something that can bring death down upon them.

 

But I'm not necessarily sure about the sword being related to that.

 

I've not written anything more about Escalus's sword, Purgator, other than that it is 'mighty'. Timon's sword, the Blade of Thorns, is something altogether different. Wielded by Captain Laertes of the Fourth, who died during the Remembrance Crusade, the sword has been the weapon of every Captain since then. It's on the Fourth Company's heraldry, on their banner... every single Marine in the Fourth would gladly fight and die to recover it should it be lost. It's their symbol. Their honour.

 

The Sword of Sorrow, Anteas's sword, was given to him by the Dark Claws in the aftermath of the War of War. The last Captain of the Fifth was killed during the War, and Anteas ascended to the rank.

 

So I'm not sure with Sirius, whether his sword should be something newly created for him, something ancestral... it needs to be cool.

 

----

 

Krieger: The Castigators certainly would have those smaller escort squadrons. I'll have to do some reading up on them before I declare specifically, though. From what I've seen in BFG it's okay (at least for now) to give the Squadrons names. Of course, each escort would be a venerable vessel, perhaps millennia old...

So I'm not sure with Sirius, whether his sword should be something newly created for him, something ancestral... it needs to be cool.

 

Does really have to be a sword? Maybe a Flail or Mace called simply Morning star?

 

Arming him with Combi-melta or combi-flamer would as work good with the deadly sun theme. Maybe don’t use a hand-to-hand weapon as his specific weapon/badge of office, but the combi-weapon instead – he is the master of the ARSENAL if I remember it right.

Sirius is actually the Captain of Darth Potato's Castigator army. I've always liked the idea of a Sword as a ceremonial 'symbol of office', but there's certainly no compulsion to use a sword. (Except Captain Timon - the fourth Captain has to use the Blade of Thorns).

 

Barret was actually saying I should give Chapter Master Quintilius a 'power scourge'. The idea of a mace is perhaps a little out of the themes I'm looking to evoke, though. I do like the name 'Morningstar', though its links to Lucifer could cause problems... :)

 

Sirius is indeed Captain of the Arsenal, which is why a lot of his Company have Plasma weaponry. He's also responsible for leading a number of campaings against the encroaching Tyranid hive fleets...

 

The thing is you've kinda got things the wrong way round, Keyoz! I've sorted the weaponry for Sirius and I just need names, whereas the weaponry for Chapter Master Quintilius is completely up in the air. :)

Ah, dangit. I hate it when that happens - when you come up with something on your own and find out someone else has taken it. I have Hero-Captain Lycidius, Dan Abnett has Hero-Captain Phobor. I have First-Captain Escalus, and apparently there's a First-Captain in the Horus Heresy books.

 

Ah well. The issues I raised on the last page (the heraldry/banners, the weaponry/equipment, the names for the fleet) are all things that have perplexed me for a while, so I don't expect anyone to just have a blinding flash of brilliance. It's typically a case of slowly working out the best course of action.

Ah, dangit. I hate it when that happens - when you come up with something on your own and find out someone else has taken it. I have Hero-Captain Lycidius, Dan Abnett has Hero-Captain Phobor. I have First-Captain Escalus, and apparently there's a First-Captain in the Horus Heresy books.

Yeah I get that one quite often too. We have to accept that most ideas were already thought up and in most cases only thing we can do is to give them a good twist :D

Barret was actually saying I should give Chapter Master Quintilius a 'power scourge'.

I like the idea of power scourge as chapter masters weapon

"We are the Emperor's will made manifest!"

 

A bit long-winded for a battlecry, IMO. Especially since the "made manifest" part would be very obvious once they smack somebody.

 

OK, I'm just being picky. :)

 

As with fully two-thirds of all Space Marine Chapters,

 

This is more or less a direct quote from...Codex: Space Marines (3e), I believe. It really throws me out of the article, since I recognize it immediately. Use your own words, man. It's not like you don't know how. :lol:

 

If it is your own words...well, it still feels like you're quoting Codex: SM.

 

The reasons for these measures would seem to be rooted in the after-effects of the thirteenth Astartes founding, the so-called 'Dark Founding'. All records of this tumultuous time have long since been eradicated or lost, leaving behind only assumption and supposition. Few know exactly what transpired during this period of Imperial history, and none seem prepared to divulge their secrets. Still, it is clear that the Imperium's focus on genetic purity appears to have deeply affected the Castigators to this day.

 

I was under the impression the Dark Founding was a normal founding, which was very large, and that the records were destroyed. Your comments above almost implies that something sinister and evil was at work - which dilutes the Cursed Founding's sinister and evil aspects, in my view. In fact, this is actually mentioned in the DIY Chapter thread as something not to get confused about.

 

Many of the planet's highest peaks were swathed in ice.

 

Er, if it's tidally-locked - wouldn't ALL of the night side pretty much be covered in ice? After all, it will be very, very, very cold. As in, Mercury (which is not actually tidally-locked, merely very close), gets down to about -200 on the night side.

 

Life was an unending struggle against the elements for survival, a struggle that ensured only the strongest could survive. Food was scarce, grown by dim moonlight in areas where streams of warm air reached the dark-side.

 

This place has a breathable atmosphere? How? OK, you don't need to explain that one. I'll buy it the once.

 

Also, there exists the possibility of relatively normal life in the border between night and day sides.

 

By contrast, those few cursed individuals that existed in the eternal day were mutated almost beyond recognition.

 

I really don't see how that would be possible. Maybe in the border between night and day, but certainly not out on the day-side proper.

 

Seriously. It would be HOT.

 

Honestly, this is a serious flaw with the chapter. It kills my suspension of disbelief (and in 40K, that takes a little bit of doing).

 

A tidally-locked world would simply not be livable in the way you describe. Digging underground or living in the dusk and dawn zones might be possible (might. I am no expert, and we don't have any tidally locked worlds to check), but existence on the day or night sides would be frankly impossible - MAYBE in heavily armored and insulated bunkers, but there certainly wouldn't be travel.

 

The other option would be "almost tidally locked", wherein the people are forced to lead a nomadic existence in the comfortable temperature zone (which moves as the planet rotates). However, that would probably turn into Mad Max pretty quickly. Or you could do bunkers for the good folks and nomadic for the bad (which is REALLY Mad Max).

 

I like everything else so far, but the whole tidally-locked thing is a serious problem.

 

Librarians

 

This section is a golden opportunity to use the term Scriptorium. Just as an aside.

 

It has been noted by Imperial observers that the Castigators tolerate both the Astropaths and those of the Navigator Gene. This has led some to criticise the Castigators' belief system as hypocritical. The Castigators roundly refute such allegations, arguing that both institutions were created and sanctioned by the Emperor - just as the Adeptus Astartes were.

 

But then, so were the Librarians.

 

Good stuff. My only real quibbles are with the homeworld (though those are big ones). Though I really did want to see Korhal mentioned at least once. ;)

I don't pretend to be an astrologist. But you seem to be saying 'dayside = hot, nightside = cold'.

 

Fine, but what if the planet was the same distance away from the sun as pluto? Would the day side then be equally as hot?

 

I don't think so.

 

In that case, it's theoretically possible that the planet could be close enough to sustain life, but not close enough to burn away every single thing on the planet. Right?

 

After all, it's hot in the sahara desert, but people can survive. People in Australia can get skin cancer from exposure to the sun. If Losanco Secundus was as close to the sun as Earth is, it strikes me that the bright side would be dangerous, but not unlivable.

 

And ultimately, this is an environment where we use .75 cal bolts, we summon Warp magic to our aid, we can run around in oversized armour and fight sword against sword with mechanical living dead. 40k isn't science-fiction, it's space fantasy. And that's not entirely an excuse, because I don't want to excuse gaping inconsistency, but it's fiction. Sometimes those gaping coincidences (just in the right part of the solar system and just able to support life and somehow capable of producing Space Marines) happen. That's the suspension of disbelief.

 

And I guess I could palm it off by saying "one cynic thinks it doesn't work, dozens of people have read it, accepted it, and enjoyed it." But I'm keen to at least make some overture towards satisfying you--looking to modify the concept. Ultimately, the homeworld is one of the elements that contributes most towards the Castigators.

 

My conception was that the humans would live in the 'twilight zone' near the light side, but sheltered in the dark. There's a quote by Barret elsewhere in this thread...

 

[Perhaps] similarly to the Twi'leks, they live primarly in the twilight zone (dun dun dunnnn) between night and day, staying out of the radiated day side, but far enough out of the night side to avoid freezing. In my mind, that last would make their plight much more dramatic and precarious, literaly caught between the light and dark, between mutation and freezing doom. I really like this, and I think it's a very iconic element of the 40k universe. Freedom and liberty are the doom of mankind and, here, daylight is death and nighttime little safer.

 

EDIT:

 

But then, so were the Librarians.

 

Depending on the fluff, the Emperor gave the order for Librarians to be disbanded at the Council of Nikaea. The edict was never carried out. Regardless - I've written elsewhere that I intend for those gaping inconsistencies to exist. In that sense, it's not a mistake. The Castigators are bigots and hypocrites - part of their charm - and they're utterly blind to it. It's meant to be a comment on religious fundamentalism. <_<

I don't pretend to be an astrologist. But you seem to be saying 'dayside = hot, nightside = cold'.

 

A masterful summation. And I really hope you mean astronomer, since all astrologists are pretending. :pinch:

 

Fine, but what if the planet was the same distance away from the sun as pluto? Would the day side then be equally as hot?

 

Probably not. In which case, you're fine. Though the night side would be totally unlivable. (Seriously - Mercury rotates AND is right next to the sun, and it gets well below zero). So no having them on the night side, or it will go hard for you.

 

After all, it's hot in the sahara desert, but people can survive. People in Australia can get skin cancer from exposure to the sun. If Losanco Secundus was as close to the sun as Earth is, it strikes me that the bright side would be dangerous, but not unlivable.

 

Actually, you'd probably need to be further away than Earth's distance. Part of the reason we're a comfortable temperature is that we rotate so damn quickly (I think we may have the shortest day in the solar systme. We're down there, that's for sure). Witness Mercury again. Our fast rotation keeps the night from cooling too much, and the day from heating too much.

 

And ultimately, this is an environment where we use .75 cal bolts, we summon Warp magic to our aid, we can run around in oversized armour and fight sword against sword with mechanical living dead. 40k isn't science-fiction, it's space fantasy.

 

Hey, I never said it made SENSE that this bit threw me. Perhaps it's that I cannot rationally disprove the Warp or Power Armor (which rely on things we cannot see), but I can see the flaws with living on the night side of a tidally locked world pretty quickly.

 

And suspension of disbelief is always best at its minimum.

 

I have strange priorities. <_<

 

My conception was that the humans would live in the 'twilight zone' near the light side, but sheltered in the dark. There's a quote by Barret elsewhere in this thread...

 

See, that's fine. And barret's quote is quite correct (and much more eloquent, into the bargain).

 

All you really need is a throwaway line about how the distance from the sun keeps the planet cool enough to be livable for people who don't mind having extra arms, and to make it clear that the NORMAL people are living in the twilight zone (wow. Still fun to type) of the planet, as opposed to the night side proper, and my doubts are put to rest.

 

Depending on the fluff, the Emperor gave the order for Librarians to be disbanded at the Council of Nikaea. The edict was never carried out. Regardless - I've written elsewhere that I intend for those gaping inconsistencies to exist. In that sense, it's not a mistake. The Castigators are bigots and hypocrites - part of their charm - and they're utterly blind to it. It's meant to be a comment on religious fundamentalism. smile.gif

 

So long as *they're* being blind and irrational, not you. ;)

It sems for Sirius you want a name with connatations to the sunburst. So it got me thinking, the Castigators seem to be very well bring the Emperor's light to me. So I thought about it and with the help of the Horus Heresy series I came up with the Sword of Illumination . It is connected with Sirius' Sunburst as well as connecting to one of the Castigators' under-lying themes which i think is quite important.So, what do you think?

Right, right, Astronomer. I sat down to type, and was "It's astro-something..."--that'll teach me not to reply when tired. ;)

 

I didn't understand your assertation that it's the speed of rotation that makes Earth livable. In GW fluff there's the planet Mordian, which, like mine, is half eternal night, half eternal day. GW, like me, has no sense of accurate astronomy. Now I understand the issue. It's perplexing, to be sure.

 

In truth, I've never watched Mad Max. But I did have the idea originally of the planet rotating quicker and the settlers moving to stay in the 'twilight zone', the livable equator between light and dark. I dropped it because it didn't entirely inspire me. But it seems you approve of Barret's quote? My idea was that they would live in the twilight zone. There's (large) portions of the night side which are frozen solid. And portions of the day-side where the sun could kill you. But between "super hot" and "super cold" there must be a medium, right? Harsh and inhospitable, but somewhat livable? My idea was that the mutated bands would live close to the twilight zone themselves, just on the day side. They would be raiding into the human settlements, forcing the humans to defend themselves - even to undertake punitive/pre-emptive raids against them to eliminate their filth.

 

As to the insertion of the throwaway line, I'll see - though I thought it was clear that the normal people lived in the darkness? I'll fiddle around with that section anyway. I've been planning to expand the homeworld section slightly to detail those that hunt for the mutants. Whilst it's IA: Castigators and not IA: Losanco, I think it might help give a little bit more depth to the Chapter's mindset.

 

So, anything else to nit-pick? :lol:

 

---

 

Ferrus - 'Sword of Illumination' is actually a really good wordplay. For that reason, I like it, but I can't help there's getting to be a few too many "Sword of"s and "Blade of"s in the Chapter. I'm still considering it. I'm hoping it'll just eventually 'click'. With that said, I may steal 'Sword of Illumination' as a name for a Battle-Barge or the like.

 

Krieger (if you're out there): I checked the BFG PDFs, and found a list of some squadron names for escorts:

 

Russ's Claws (Space Wolves)

Black Talons (Raven Guard)

Hera's Wraths (Ultramarines)

Angelus Belarius Squad (Blood Angels)

Obliterators (Silver Skulls)

Circes (Ultramarines)

Arx-Praetora (Ultramarines)

Dark Knights of Caliban (Dark Angels)

Holy Shields (White Consuls)

Invictas (Ultramarines)

I didn't understand your assertation that it's the speed of rotation that makes Earth livable. In GW fluff there's the planet Mordian, which, like mine, is half eternal night, half eternal day. GW, like me, has no sense of accurate astronomy. Now I understand the issue. It's perplexing, to be sure.

 

Mordia makes me angry. It's so very, very wrong. It should not work as it is. And it would be easy to make it work (domed cities. Done).

 

In truth, I've never watched Mad Max. But I did have the idea originally of the planet rotating quicker and the settlers moving to stay in the 'twilight zone', the livable equator between light and dark. I dropped it because it didn't entirely inspire me.

 

I know what you mean. It feels familiar for some reason, even though the only place I can even think of something similar is in Heir to the Empire (by Zahn).

 

But it seems you approve of Barret's quote? My idea was that they would live in the twilight zone. There's (large) portions of the night side which are frozen solid. And portions of the day-side where the sun could kill you. But between "super hot" and "super cold" there must be a medium, right? Harsh and inhospitable, but somewhat livable? My idea was that the mutated bands would live close to the twilight zone themselves, just on the day side. They would be raiding into the human settlements, forcing the humans to defend themselves - even to undertake punitive/pre-emptive raids against them to eliminate their filth.

 

Perfect. For some reason, the existing IA created the impression that they lived on the night-side proper - which simply is not possible, since it is colder than the heart of an accountant.

 

Your idea as you express it here works fine. Especially if the planet is sufficiently far away from its sun to make the day side only really, really hot, instead of insanely and lead-meltingly hot.

 

As to the insertion of the throwaway line, I'll see - though I thought it was clear that the normal people lived in the darkness?

 

It is. It's just not clear that they live in the twilight-darkness as opposed to the so-cold-nothing-could-survive darkness.

 

So, anything else to nit-pick? smile.gif

 

Nope, that's the extent of it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.