The additions to the Homeworld section are subtle, but nicely reinforce the theme. Techno-barbarians for the win!

You need a Warcry section. Something ominous and chanted, rather than something yelled, I think. Something that can be used to direct firing rites, like old sailing chants.

Oh, and nice beaky scheme. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I'm ashamed that I haven't posted in here yet, could've sworn I did. Very well and descriptive read, on the Castigators Chapter, not very many mistakes, and I can tell you put a lot of time into this IA. Great Job Mol! :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

commissar Molotov, I have been following your chapter's growth and i'm greatly interested in them. Though your IA is very well written, but seems to be missing something. Don't get me wrong I love your work, it just seems to be hinting for more details.

I would like to know more about them. Maybe some stories that give more of an insider view? How many Honor guard are in the master's household? What armour types are used by them? You stated that each terminator suit is diffrent, How? What traits do you use for them? I have other questions but don't want to take to much of your time.

• 2 weeks later...

And so once more I return to the fold, only this time I've a shiny new insignia in the left-hand column!

And since the Castigators have lain neglected for a while, I'll use this opportunity to answer some questions and ask for further feedback. I understand the Liber's got a capable AD member now... :devil:

The additions to the Homeworld section are subtle, but nicely reinforce the theme. Techno-barbarians for the win!

You need a Warcry section. Something ominous and chanted, rather than something yelled, I think. Something that can be used to direct firing rites, like old sailing chants.

I'm considering that the IA could do with a warcry section, but I'm really unsure. I really liked the whole "We are the Emperor's Will made Manifest" - which is a great attitude for the Castigators - but it's certainly very long, and doesn't entirely fit with my mindset of what a battlecry ought to be. And yet, I'm not sure I can see a Battle-Chapter using the same battlecry in every single combat engagement. I don't know. Sometimes it seems people use the 'Battlecry' section almost as a 'Chapter Motto' section.

commissar Molotov, I have been following your chapter's growth and i'm greatly interested in them. Though your IA is very well written, but seems to be missing something. Don't get me wrong I love your work, it just seems to be hinting for more details.

I would like to know more about them. Maybe some stories that give more of an insider view? How many Honor guard are in the master's household? What armour types are used by them? You stated that each terminator suit is diffrent, How? What traits do you use for them? I have other questions but don't want to take to much of your time.

Well, I tend to value a writing approach where a lot is suggested and hinted; I'm not always one to spell out every detail painstakingly. I am, however, willing to answer any and all questions, if only because doing so usually affects my thought processes when it comes to these widdle scarlet-clad zealots.

- The Honour Guard of the Castigators stand outside the Company Structure. They are a part of the Chapter Master's household and report directly to him. Formidable warriors, nearly all once veterans of the First Company, the Honour Guard form a bodyguard around the Chapter Master, Chapter Ancient and other senior officers on the battlefield. The Honour Guard is led by a decorated Marine hero known as the Seneschal. The current Seneschal is a Veteran Marine by the name of Acerbus. His loyalty to the Chapter is without question. The number of the Honour Guard can grow and change over time, based on particular circumstances, but they'd likely number less than fifty at most. They're formidable warriors, and you might expect something like the Ultramarines' Honour Guard - they would have particularly ornate armour and equipment - but that would make them no less deadly. On another level, their task is something rather interesting. They are loyal to the Chapter Master, but could it be that they're also prepared to eliminate him should he appear corrupt and tainted? That's never happened in the Castigators' long and venerable history, but that proverbial Sword of Damocles hanging over Chapter Master Quintilius is something that seems rather suiting, given the Castigators' almost zealously rabid nature.

With regards to the Terminator Suits used by the Castigators, you have to remember that there's only twenty-one - used by First-Captain Escalus and twenty of his greatest warriors. The Terminators of the Chapter are held in reverence by the bulk of the Chapter - these are great warriors that have faced death willingly and emerged, their purity shining like a light in the darkness. They are beacons of hope, of faith, of fortitude - a real guiding light and inspiration for any Marine. There are almost no limits to the degree in which the Castigators' veterans may customise their weaponry and armour. Many choose to display their own heraldry and distinctions. Accordingly, no two warriors of the First Company truly look alike. Battle honours, sigils and citations adorn armour, and armour-plates are often decorated with bold patterns and symbols derived from the chapter insignia. The same holds true for the Terminator Squads. These items have been passed from warrior to warrior - to wear Terminator armour is an honour - and a mark of trust. They're entrusted with the guardianship of priceless relics. Many Terminators further adorn their armour.

As to traits? The Castigators don't need no stinkin' traits. :blush:

EDIT:

I just got your email, Varen!

I am intrested in the Castigtors. I've checked your website on them, but seem to be missing something. I was wondering if they use bionics and if so how much before it is to much? You said that they are zealots, but you don't incorporate the feel of it. I would like to know more, if you wouldn't mind in e-mailing each other? How many honor guard are there in the chapter master's household? In vocates, you said that they are a chapter of purity, how do they convey this? Purity seals? You seem to convey that they act like the Spanish Inquistion. Do they torture prisoners or kill out right? How do they "teach" this purity to others? Don't get me wrong i love the castigators. Do they subject themselves to self punishment like the Imperial Fists in the pain glove? Is there a ancient weapon like a energy whip, which is what i've seen carried on the ancient standard bearer? There is so much to ask, but i don't want to over step myself. I will stop for now. I hope to hear from you.

The Castigators do use bionics, like all Space Marine Chapters. Bionics are seen as necessary in some cases, in order to enable formidable warriors to fight on, in the face of hideous injuries. Even the honoured Hero-Captain Lycidius had bionic enhancements. 'Too much' is a relative term, though. The Castigators aren't Iron Hands!

Purity seals are definitely something I've always liked in the imagery of Space Marines, so you'd definitely see a great deal of them on Castigators. In order to 'convey their purity', the Castigators simply seek to embody their purity. In their mindset they were created to purify the galaxy, to pave the way after the disasters of the thirteenth founding. Hence why Baraquiel created the Oathbrethren, in an attempt to use the Astartes together.

The Castigators certainly do punish themselves. I've made references to self-mutilation in the IA article. But then you might suggest that continually fighting the horrors of the galaxy is a form of self-mutilation. But even someone liy Caetrus, hideously, horrifically injured, willingly continues. Inner strength comes through strife.

As to 'Energy Whips', there might well be a few in the Castigators. Veteran Sergeant Jonas has one, after all...

Edited by Commissar Molotov

commissar Molotov, thanks for the answers. When you say they are zealots are they like the Black Templars? I am trying to figure out their fighting style. Do they use a large number of flamers (to purge and cleanse)?

So as i understand this, as a castigator advances through the ranks they customise their wargear with each step? Do they customize their vehicles like their wargear? Are there any relics other than the crimson standard, that the castigators rever?

Well, I suppose you could compare the Castigators to the Black Templars, although such comparisons are bland and would do a disservice to both Chapters. I like to consider that both Chapters have taken a similar direction from different starting points for different reasons. The Castigators are zealous, certainly, but they're not perhaps zealots. They're faithful, pious... but they're certainly not frothing madmen. As for the fighting style, it's described in the IA article! The Castigators adhere to the Codex as closely as possible.

And I suppose you could certainly suggest that the Castigators customise their equipment to a greater and greater degree as they advance through the ranks. But that's something I envisage as happening in most Chapters. Vehicles are, in some cases, ornamented and honoured. Dreadnoughts would be one example of that.

With regards to relics, the Castigators have a great deal. Fabricator-General is creating an army of the Castigators' Fourth Company, led by Captain Timon. He asked me to create some background on the Captain, and this is what came up:

Captain Timon: Timon is the current Captain of the Fourth Company, and he carries the honorific title 'Master of the Fleet'. Timon first made his name fighting against the Dark Eldar, before he was appointed Captain of the Fourth.

Whilst others in the Castigators are brash and bombastic, Timon is soft-spoken. However, only a fool would consider him to be weak or mild. It is said that Timon's actions, both on the battlefield and off, have greatly impressed Chapter Master Quintilius. His moderate tendencies have been an asset to his role as Fleet-Master; He is nominally in charge of every vessel owned by the Chapter and all of the serfs crewing them. He diligently oversees every arrangement made to ensure the Chapter can fight effectively. Such arrangements include dealing with the fleet's Navigators, Techmarines and Astropaths.

Timon is a skilled Captain, experienced in the ways of war. Thus far, he is the only Commander of the Castigators to have fought against the loathsome Tau. His presence within the battle-lines has earnt him the respect and loyalty of those under his command. Timon has been allowed to lead exploratory crusades throughout the Ultima Segmentum, and the Fourth have travelled further than any of the other Battle-Companies, participating in many wide-ranging campaigns and gaining great victories for the Castigators.

The Chastener: In 243.M39, the Castigators (at the behest of the Inquisition) attacked the Hive-World of Cruciax at the head of a force numbering over two million Redemptionist Cultists. In an action that would come to be known as the Nine-Day purge, the Imperial forces assaulted the Planetary Governor's forces. The Inquisition had gathered evidence that the Governor was at the head of a cartel trafficking in alien artefacts. The skies filled with smoke from the burning hives and over six billion people died in bloody fighting. The inhuman ferocity visited upon Cruciax left the hive world little more than a charnel-house, but the Governor was captured and delivered to the Inquisition. As a token of their gratitude, the Inquisition gave the Castigators the Chastener, an exquisitely-crafted Combi-Plasma Gun from Ryza's holiest tech-forges. Captain Timon has been allowed to use the Chastener by Chapter Master Quintilius. It is a sure sign of Timon's favour within the Chapter; his star is most assuredly in the ascendant.

The Blade of Thorns: The Blade of Thorns is the hereditary weapon of the Fourth Company's Captain. Captain Laertes used the weapon himself, many millennia ago. Since his death, the blade has been passed from Captain to Captain. It is a symbol of the Company's strength, and has even been incorporated into the heraldry of the Company. The warriors of the Fourth would go to any lengths to retrieve it should it be lost.

(You can visit the army creation thread here.)

That's just an example. To my mind, the Castigators - and all Space Marines - live in a traditional, suspicious universe. The familiar is cherished and revered. The unfamiliar is hated and cast out. In an age where records are scarce and unreliable, weapons and armour provide a solid, tangible link to the past. To the only truth that matters. That since the inception of the Castigators, brave warriors of the Adeptus Astartes have fought and died - willingly serving the Emperor in life and in death. 'Relics' would abound in the Castigators, because as each Brother strives to embody the ideals of the Chapter, he is aware that the dead entrust the care of the Chapter to the living; the living must not surrender their charge, because to do so could endanger the lives of countless billions of the Emperor's subjects.

Some nice extra fluff blurbs you have added, Mol, especially the Blade of Thorns.

One thing I would suggest is in in the paragraph dealing with The Chastener, you should maybe be more clear that this was not an engagement Timon was involved in. When I first read it, I was under the impression that Timon had led the assault; combined with the knowledge that he is the only Castigator to have fought the Tau, it would make him very old! I believe now what you mean is that The Chastener was awarded to the Chapter after this fight, and it has now been passed down to Timon?

Since he is the Master of the Fleet, and has direct dealings with Astropaths, you may take this opportunity to explore Timon as one of the less conservative minded of the Castigators. In the past you've done a lot to explain about the many smaller factions within the Castigators, and most of the ones you've dwelled on are the particularly zealous, such as the Castigators that find the Techmarines a vile notion. Since Timon has extended dwellings with the Astropaths, perhaps he is more open-minded when it comes to psykers? Not to the point of liking them, per se, but rather that he would be more open in dealing with allied forces that employ psykers. I'd imagine most Castigators would hesitate, if not refuse to, fight alongside allies that may be led by a Librarian for example. While Timon may simply go on about the battle like he would any other, while taking special care to make sure said Librarian is kept at a safe distance from his Castigators brethren.

Well, you're right. Timon wasn't involved in the fight for Cruciax; the nine-day purge took place over two millennia ago, after all. However, to my mind each combi-weapon, being the product of exquisitely-skilled craftsmen, would be valued and treasured. In fact, I've always tentatively suggested that the Chastener is the only combi-plasma in the Castigators' armouries. Hence why Quintilius has allowed Timon to utilise the weapon. It's an honour, and helps to show that Timon's star is in the ascendant - that Quintilius values him over the more zealous Captains like Caphius, the Captain of the Second (who will, apparently, be featuring in Darth Potato's Castigators force) Captain Anteas of the Fifth has also been detailed as being more of a moderate.

I can see what you're saying about the psykers, but you have to remember that the Castigators are drawn from a world where the psykers are reviled, and destroyed as soon as they're discovered. It shows a lot about Timon that he can deal with such abominations. You're right that most Castigators would be suspicious - if not outright hostile - towards other Psykers. However, most Castigators are also aware of the repercussions of taking outright action against other Space Marine Chapters, and the other large institutions in the Imperium. I'm not sure that Timon would even go about a battle like 'any other', but he would be able to seperate his personal feelings and his duties. I've often seen Timon as being older than some of the other Captains, so the feroicious zealotry of his youth has perhaps given way to a more pragmatic attitude? I'm unsure.

And so once more I return to the fold, only this time I've a shiny new insignia in the left-hand column!

Yeah, congratulations by the way!

And since the Castigators have lain neglected for a while, I'll use this opportunity to answer some questions and ask for further feedback. I understand the Liber's got a capable AD member now... :lol:

It's got a member, yes. Who knows about capable.

I'm considering that the IA could do with a warcry section, but I'm really unsure. I really liked the whole "We are the Emperor's Will made Manifest" - which is a great attitude for the Castigators - but it's certainly very long, and doesn't entirely fit with my mindset of what a battlecry ought to be. And yet, I'm not sure I can see a Battle-Chapter using the same battlecry in every single combat engagement. I don't know. Sometimes it seems people use the 'Battlecry' section almost as a 'Chapter Motto' section.

I advise you not to use a warcry. Your 'Emperor's Will Made Manifest' is a lovely turn of phrase, but as you said, isn't something to be screamed in battle. How about a gesture instead? Something simple and to the point. Not something that gets done prior to every single engagement, but that could be done to heighten the spirits of the Brethren.

- The Honour Guard of the Castigators stand outside the Company Structure. They are a part of the Chapter Master's household and report directly to him. Formidable warriors, nearly all once veterans of the First Company, the Honour Guard form a bodyguard around the Chapter Master, Chapter Ancient and other senior officers on the battlefield. The Honour Guard is led by a decorated Marine hero known as the Seneschal. The current Seneschal is a Veteran Marine by the name of Acerbus. His loyalty to the Chapter is without question. The number of the Honour Guard can grow and change over time, based on particular circumstances, but they'd likely number less than fifty at most. They're formidable warriors, and you might expect something like the Ultramarines' Honour Guard - they would have particularly ornate armour and equipment - but that would make them no less deadly. On another level, their task is something rather interesting. They are loyal to the Chapter Master, but could it be that they're also prepared to eliminate him should he appear corrupt and tainted? That's never happened in the Castigators' long and venerable history, but that proverbial Sword of Damocles hanging over Chapter Master Quintilius is something that seems rather suiting, given the Castigators' almost zealously rabid nature.

So they are like a neutral political force... It's good. Huron Blackheart comes to mind. He was disliked by the Captains, but had the support of the Chaplaincy. If the Astral Claws had had such a force, they might not have turned the way they did. Huron might have had to answer for his actions a lot sooner.

As to traits? The Castigators don't need no stinkin' traits. :)

*Applause* DA ruleset all the way for you, isn't it?

As to 'Energy Whips', there might well be a few in the Castigators. Veteran Sergeant Jonas has one, after all...

It's a good weapon. I can imagine them being very different from each other, some made up of linked blades perhaps, and others like a traditional whip.

Well, you're right. Timon wasn't involved in the fight for Cruciax; the nine-day purge took place over two millennia ago, after all. However, to my mind each combi-weapon, being the product of exquisitely-skilled craftsmen, would be valued and treasured. In fact, I've always tentatively suggested that the Chastener is the only combi-plasma in the Castigators' armouries. Hence why Quintilius has allowed Timon to utilise the weapon. It's an honour, and helps to show that Timon's star is in the ascendant - that Quintilius values him over the more zealous Captains like Caphius, the Captain of the Second (who

will, apparently, be featuring in Darth Potato's Castigators force) Captain Anteas of the Fifth has also been detailed as being more of a moderate..

Timon and Hero-Captain Lycidius. I can see there might be a bit of a power struggle if good old Quintilius croaks. Interesting bit about the Combi-Plasma gun. Ryzan Plasma though, only the best for Heroes. =)

As long as you read the date it's fine. the confusion comes because Imperial dates are not natural for us, and the mind just tends to ignore them as nonsense.

It shows a lot about Timon that he can deal with such abominations. You're right that most Castigators would be suspicious - if not outright hostile - towards other Psykers. However, most Castigators are also aware of the repercussions of taking outright action against other Space Marine Chapters, and the other large institutions in the Imperium. I'm not sure that Timon would even go about a battle like 'any other', but he would be able to seperate his personal feelings and his duties. I've often seen Timon as being older than some of the other Captains, so the feroicious zealotry of his youth has perhaps given way to a more pragmatic attitude? I'm unsure.

Personally I could see him request to have the repulsive psyker deployed as far away from his zone of operations as possible. Given the strong undercurrent of hatred towards Psykers in the Castigators, I could see his reason warring against the gut feeling that the 'witch' should be killed outright. Age tempers your violent emotions somewhat, but you essentially change little after reaching adulthood, you simply get better at mastering that in your character that causes you problems. In these circumstances, it might be best to assume that Timon would want to have the Psyker as far away as possible, in order for him to keep as clear a head as possible for battle.

Astropaths are Psykers, as you say, but it's just different. I could imagine a forced meeting with a Blood Raven taskforce to make a mess of a Campaign before it even began - forced messages, suspicion, no support between the two forces, etc.

Maybe Timon would be better than that - but as a Company Captain he has his men to think about - Timon might be more disposed to tolerating Psykers, but what of his men? If his actions lower morale, that might doom the mission from the outset more than if the forces supported themselves more.

Maybe it would help to think of mixing Psykers and Castigators as two armies, one scared of catching an extremely virulent disease. They might fight together, but the susceptible army would keep at great distance from the army with the disease, limiting contact to long distance messages...

A more zealous Captain might threaten to leave the battlezone outright, Timon might try the distance thing... It all depends. Obviously, an accusation of cowardice might tempt even a zealous Captain to fight in conjunction with the Psyker led force, or the forces might even come to blows.

Just some delirious conjecture from old me...

Edited by StratoKhan

With regards to rules, I'd be happy to suggest bog-standard Codex: Space Marines, but the DA rules do offer some useful rules. I had suggested this:

In order to represent the Castigators on the battlefield, use Codex: Dark Angels to represent them, with the following additional restrictions:

Abhor the Witch: The Castigators cannot tolerate the psyker and scour their ranks to ensure no such abomination can ever shame the name of the Chapter. Librarians may not be taken - you may not use the Ezekiel special character.

The Blessed Armour: The Castigators only have twenty-one precious suits of Terminator Armour. These are worn by First-Captain Escalus and four Terminator Squads. Typically these squads are attached to the Battle-Companies, but on rare occasions the Terminators may be reassembled into one force - to investigate a Space Hulk, for example. A Castigators army may only include one Terminator Squad. If First-Captain Escalus is included (use the Belial rules to represent him) youmay have four Terminator Squads, but no more! Even if Escalus is included, the rules for Terminator Standard Bearers and Apothecaries may not be used. The first Company's Apothecary and Standard Bearer are power-armoured, allowing the Terminators to fight without distraction. Interrogator-Chaplains may not wear Terminator Armour.

Additional Restrictions: Azrael and Sammael may never be used.

With regards to whips, whilst I like them enough to use them on the Chapter symbol, they're also there to represent the self-sacrificing, self-punishing themes. I'm not so sure about their practicality in battle. As such, I imagine they might be used by certain Marines, they wouldn't be a regular (or common) weapon.

---------------

It's worth noting that Lycidius is dead. :lol: He received the title of 'Hero' because of his extraordinary actions for the Chapter. Hence why he'll be forever known as 'Hero-Captain' Lycidius. Lycidius serves as an inspiration to zealots within the Chapter, such as Captain Caphius. Timon would be on the moderate side of the fence, along with Anteas and Quintilius. If Quintilius died, however, it'd be First-Captain Escalus who would replace him, actually. :)

For an example of Lycidius' exploits:

635.M37: The Defense of Aeteron Point

The small and recently-established colony of Aeteron Point fell victim to a string of raids by Dark Eldar corsairs in early 635.M37. Jetbikes shrieked through the sky, harrassing the beleagured PDF forces whilst raiders laden with prisoners returned to the orbiting vessels.

It was at this point that the Castigator Strike Cruiser Inviolate broke out of the warp and attacked the Dark Eldar. The Castigators' Second Company, under Captain Lycidius had been returning home after its victories in the Cheng Exculpation. Due to the vagaries of astropathic communication, the Inviolate had actually received the colony's distress call a week before it was sent. The Company was understrength and underequipped, but Lycidius was determined to assist the colony. He had a keen tactical mind, and knew of the formidable agility, barbarism and strength of the Dark Eldar. He also knew that their greatest weakness would be their arrogance and complete disdain towards humans. Assigning the veterans under his command to board and cripple the slave-ships in orbit, the Captain led his depleted company to the surface. Many Marines wounded in the Cheng Exculpation took to the battlefield, ignoring their injuries.

Lycidius had determined that the key to victory lay in forcing the Eldar into a trap, where they would lose their precious mobility. He deployed his forces to a landmark known as the Iron Valley, interposing the Second Company between the Colony and the returning Raiders. Establishing overlapping fields of fire and secreting a battery of Whirlwinds out of sight of the aliens, he deployed a small force of Marines openly to bait the Eldar into attacking. The understrength force seemed easy pray to the overconfident pirates, flush with victory. It is said that captured Astartes fetch a high price in the slave-markets of their hellish realm.

The Captain's gambit worked. The Space Marine forces withdrew as the Eldar approached, drawing the fragile enemy craft within range of the Whirlwinds' artillery guns. Under a withering hail of fire, the Castigators attacked, eradicating their foes. Captain Lycidius dispatched the Eldar Archon himself in single combat. With the slave-ships in orbit crippled and the remaining Dark Eldar forces routed, the colonists of Aeteron Point were spared the terrible fate of living as slaves in the service of the torturous aliens. The prisoners taken were returned to the colony and the Castigators returned home in glory.

With regards to the Castigators fighting alongside psykers, it often depends. Chapters like the Judicators often deploy their Librarians away from the Castigators' force. The rank-and-file Castigators would be outright hostile towards allied psykers. So I agree that Timon would try to keep psykers away from his men, consciously aware of the trouble that could erupt. With regards to a Chapter like the Blood Ravens, the Castigators would be outright hostile and incredibly suspicious or their insular nature and the higher rate of psykers in the Chapter. You've about got the size of it, I think, with the suggestion of the 'disease'. Any prudent force fighting alongside the Castigators would limit contact between the Castigators and psykers to the absolute minimum.

Obviously, an accusation of cowardice might tempt even a zealous Captain to fight in conjunction with the Psyker led force, or the forces might even come to blows.

I think that'd depend on the Castigator, in truth. I don't think that sort of reverse psychology would work in most cases. Space Marine Chapters have, in general, the luxury of being able to pick and choose their battles and their allies. The Castigators' Inquisitorial links would also be beneficial in that sense.

I think the disease description would be very accurate, especially given the nature of their homeworld and the zealous way they constantly check for mutations. Given the techno-sorcery nature of the 41st millenium, it would be very easy for the Castigators to see psykers as carrying a disease, and may also explain the dislike some Castigators hold for the "Librarians" which take records; they are potential carriers of this disease simply by their affiliation with the office.

I had also never intended to say that Timon would be affectionate or understanding towards psykers, but more that he would have enough of a moderate stance to keep psykers away from his forces so the Castigators would not be distracted by their hatred. The presence of a psyker on the battlefield, at least not in his immediate vicinity, would not have an immediate nor adverse effect on his decisions. Where as a more zealot leader may be constantly plagued by the notion that somewhere, in the midst of battle, there lurks a vile psyker spreading his filthy disease in an attempt to taint the purity of the Castigators in mind and body.

Commissar Molotov, The honor guard are veterans, so i was wondering if they wear the 1st company colors or are they like the Blood Angel honor guard who use another color? Are there any other restrictions other than the terminators? I would like to know more on the Castigators' fortress monistary, "the Sanctuary". In its description, you say, "Many of the chapels hold the spoils of war. It is here that every marine whose body has been recovered has been laid to rest. These sacred crypts are also where the dreadnoughts of the chapter are allowed to rest: remaining alongside their dead comrades until the chapter calls them into service." These crypts are under the chapels with entrances in the chapel? I was a little confused by it. Where are the orginal librarians buried?

In the Castigators fleet, what ships are used? What models are used from Battlefleet Gothic? Are their any refitted ones for special operations?

Do you strictly use Latin names for your characters in the Castigators? When a Castigator returns from a tour of duty with the Deathwatch, is there any diffrences in Armour colors or symbols? Are there any variant war machines that are strictly used by the Castigators? (ie.. like the Baal predator tank used by the Blood Angels) Are the armour color of the Castigators as dark as the Blood Angels or lighter?

Woah... certainly a great deal of questions.

Firstly, a recently completed picture by Captain Seato of Sergeant Fautor; some of you might remember him.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/Seato/illustrations/CastigatorSergeant_BandC.jpg

The Honour Guard are usually picked from the First (Veteran) Company and so might well be entitled to wear Terminator Honours and the like, but they don't don the colours of the First Company. They would not have White shoulder pad-rims, no. They are part of the Chapter Master's household, and I suppose that they would wear whatever colours he felt fitting.

With regards to the Sanctuary, each Company maintains a Chapel. These Chapels are basically a history of that Company at war. The First Company's Chapel holds the Castigators' suits of Terminator armour. Each Chapel would hold trophies and the like. Each Chapel also holds extensive catacombs and networks of tombs. If a Marine of the Fifth Company died, he would be lain to rest in the Fifth Company's Chapel.

The Original Librarians - now that's something I discussed with Darrell a while back. I'm not really decided either way on them. I'm not necessarily sure that the Castigators would shun them - but then there's not been any Librarians in the Chapter since their earliest days. I'm considering that they're sort of an open secret. Ignored; not really mentioned, but certainly not deprived of the honour they garnered for the Chapter.

With regards to the Castigators' fleet, the Castigators' Naval assets consist of two Battle Barges, (the Imperius Excelsis and the Gladius Castigator), six Strike Cruisers and numerous smaller escort squadrons, which would comprise classes like the Gladius, Hunter and Nova.

I do try to pick Latinate names for the Castigators, yes. Some of my names aren't actual Latin names, but merely ones that sound right to me. Should a Castigator serve with the Deathwatch, they would be entitled to display Inquisitorial symbols upon their armour when they return to their chapter. Many such marines may also bear exotic weaponry and equipment gifted to them for their loyal service. They might wear an =][= Shoulderpad, or they might simply display the sigil of the Inquisition upon a kneepad or greave. Secondment to the Deathwatch is a great honour - it's not that common, after all - and any Marine accepted by the Inquisition should be rightfully proud of his acceptance.

The Castigators don't have any specific classes of vehicle, no. I don't see that they need such devices to be distinctive. As to colour, I'd say they're darker than the Blood Angels. You might want to look at Fabricator-General's painted Castigators to get an idea.

Molotov and I did talk a while back about the possibility of what happened to the Librarians over time. In the end, he went with an approach that mentioned the Castigators originally having Librarians seconded to them from the Black Consuls, and even some Librarians recruited from their homeworld. Eventually, however, the anti-psyker mentality carried over from the planet's populace to the Chapter, and Librarians were simply phased out. How awkward the last Librarian must have felt, to be surrounded by so much distrust from his brothers and to essentially know that you would be the last of your kind. Maybe he grew paranoid, frightened by the possibility of 'friendly fire' amongst the ranks. The Librarian's strange behavior would be seen as more cause to distrust a psyker, feeding the growing hatred spreading through the ranks of the Castigators.

But, despised as they are now, those Librarians were Castigators. They fought and died for the Emperor as all Castigators do, they slew the enemies of the Emperor as was required of them. They are heroes by all definition, and I can only assume they would receive a hero's treatment. They would be buried in the crypts beneath the Chapel, their names entered into tomes of honor. I could see some Castigators wanting to take a less respectful view, but I think ultimately these minor sects would be kept in check by the Captains and Chapter Master, as they are today.

Perhaps the Castigators hold reluctant respect for those former Librarians, considering them better than other psykers by the simple definition of being Castigators (Or Black Consuls). Perhaps they are places of contemplation for modern Librarians, who must follow in their predecessors' footsteps by recording the Chapter's history, though without the psyker traits. Still, though, they suffer the same discrimination at times and perhaps may find solice in those crypts. On the other hand, perhaps the crypts of the Librarians lay covered in dust and mostly forgotten. They are remembered in tomes, though conveniently their psyker nature perhaps left out, the Castigators doing their best to erase that stain on their Chapter history while not forgetting the heroic deeds beneath those stains.

There are a lot of different ways Molotov could take it, and most of them would be equally interesting. I think a particularly intriguing idea would be for Mol to develop a special character for the Castigators, "The Last" Librarian to have fought beneath the Crimson Standard. I know Molotov is often looking for new things to do with the Castigators, so perhaps that's something he can think about. :)

Darrell, I think that is a great idea for commissar Molotov, if he decides to do it :rolleyes: . I've found myself drawn to these zealots. I have been reading all i can find on them. it just seems that they are missing something. Are there any more stories of them? Would the Honor guard wear Black on their shoulder pad rims in honor of the first chapter master? Who is sergeant Fautor? Did i miss something on the Castigators?

Could you give a descriptive picture of how one of the Company Chapels would look like? You said that the Castigators are zealous like the Black Templars, are they robed monks like the Dark Angels? Just trying to get your distinction on the look of the Castigators.

Commissar Molotov, with your permission, could i tackle the 3rd company captain? I will run it by you by E-mail first, of course, or you can e-mail me. The 3rd company captain's honor title : master of the Arsenal, do you have any ideas that you see for this title?

Further to my previous post:

Chapter Master Quintilius:

Quintilius has led the Castigators for the last hundred years. His grizzled face speaks of his long centuries of service; before he ascended to the venerated office of Master, he had served the Chapter with honour for over three hundred years. In battle, he is a formidable figure, surrounded by the devastatingly skilled warriors of the Chapter's Honour Guard. But Quintilius is acutely aware that the duties of a Chapter Master do not solely reside upon the battlefield. he does what he must to quell the more zealous voices within the Chapter and to mediate fractious truces with the Adeptus Astra Telepathica and the Navis Nobilite, organisations of psykers and mutants upon whom the Chapter's existence depends. Those organisations that share long-standing relations with the Castigators see Quintilius as a moderate; under his command, the Castigators have enjoyed strengthened relations with the Adeptus Mechanicus, the Inquisition and even other Chapters of the Astartes. Some question whether those strengthened relations will endure upon Quintilius' death.

First-Captain Escalus:

Clad in Terminator Armour and wielding the mighty sword Purgator, First Captain Escalus is an awe-inspiring and imposing figure. He has carefully honed the Veteran Cadre of the Castigators, turning the First company into a fearful force of retribution. Within the Chapter he is well-respected and liked by many. He has made a point of staying neutral in disputes over doctrine, preferring to let his actions speak for him.

Captain Caphius, Master of the Watch, Captain of the Second Company:

Caphius is a member of the Old Guard, the oldest currently-serving Captain in the Chapter. He adheres rigidly to the doctrines of older, zealous Castigators such as Hero-Captain Lycidius. He sees his Company as a furious weapon in the arsenal of the Imperium, and has hand-picked the most faithful and furious Marines from the reserve Companies to supplement his forces. In battle, Caphius leads from the front, knowing that his Sergeants and their Marines are each as devoted to the cause as he. The Second Company is known to use a high proportion of flamer weapons in order to ensureheretics and recidivists receive no succour. Brash and bombastic, Caphius attempts to ensure he is in Command of any operation to which he is assigned.

Captain Timon, Master of the Fleet, Captain of the Fourth Company:

Timon is the current Captain of the Fourth Company, and he carries the honorific title 'Master of the Fleet'. Timon first made his name fighting against the Dark Eldar, before he was appointed Captain of the Fourth. Whilst others in the Castigators are brash and bombastic, Timon is soft-spoken. However, only a fool would consider him to be weak or mild. It is said that Timon's actions, both on the battlefield and off, have greatly impressed Chapter Master Quintilius. His moderate tendencies have been an asset to his role as Fleet-Master; He is nominally in charge of every vessel owned by the Chapter and all of the serfs crewing them. He diligently oversees every arrangement made to ensure the Chapter can fight effectively. Such arrangements include dealing with the fleet's Navigators, Techmarines and Astropaths.

Timon is a skilled Captain, experienced in the ways of war. Thus far, he is the only Commander of the Castigators to have fought against the loathsome Tau. His presence within the battle-lines has earnt him the respect and loyalty of those under his command. Timon has been allowed to lead exploratory crusades throughout the Ultima Segmentum, and the Fourth have travelled further than any of the other Battle-Companies, participating in many wide-ranging campaigns and gaining great victories for the Castigators.

Captain Anteas, Master of the Marches, Captain of the Fifth Company:

Anteas is a young Captain, the youngest in the entire Chapter. He has worked hard to ensure he has the full loyalty of every Marine under his command. Backed up by a core of experienced Sergeants, the Fifth Company is battle-capable, and already several trophies and tributes adorn the walls of the Fifth Chapel. Anteas is known to confide in his Sergeants and his Lexicanium, often attempting to discern the best route of action. He has clashed on several occasions with Captain Caphius, who considers him to be incapable of the decisive action warranted by a Commander of the Adeptus Astartes. Within the Chapter, Anteas is known as a moderate, and this has not endeared him to the more zealous elements within the Chapter.

Timon and Anteas are only two of the ten Captains - remember that! Escalus remains neutral, which is quite the quandry considering he will become Chapter Master on Quintilius' death. Caphius is a raging zealot. The Third Company Captain is pretty zealous himself. You have to remember that within the Castigators, being moderate is a difference, and worth talking about. The Castigators have plenty of the pious within their ranks.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Mol, been absent from the Castigators for a while.

Questions:

- If the honor guard doesn’t wear black or white rims, have gold been considered? IMO it would look nice, and maybe gold helmets perhaps…

- I like the idea of the Sanctuary being used also as a storage/closet/trophy rack of sorts. (I am only 15 and do not have the most developed vocabulary. :P )

- Also where is the battle barge, Gladius Castigator from? Which companies are usually stationed aboard it.

- Is Fautor a part of, the Legio Bolter and Chainsword?

My Personal Questions:

- Caphius is an older castigator would he still have hair? :) [modeling purposes]

- Which battle barge are the 2nd company usually aboard. Also which strike cruiser?

- Is there any particular Wargear Caphius uses? :huh:

That’s it for now,

Darth

"We are the Emperor's Will made Manifest" - which is a great attitude for the Castigators - but it's certainly very long, and doesn't entirely fit with my mindset of what a battlecry ought to be.

Quite frankly I think it is a very suitable warcry, while it is not the same as a "RAWR!" type warcry I think it is still an incredibly intimidating thing to hear. When the Emperor is commonly regarded as a God in the Imperium, any rebels or heretics facing Astartes would be terrified simply at the thought of the Emperors 'Angels of Death' descending upon them. Hearing such a thing from a squad of ten foot gods of war would certainly make me re-evaluate my faith, if not precede my own swift suicide or surrender.

If I am a bit late on this issue..... oh dear.

Eh. I can see a Chaplain or Captain saying those words before a fight to pump up the battle-brothers or saying this to a POW (right before execution), but it certainly isn't something to say while bearing down on the enemy, screaming at the top of your lungs. Too long, and just doesn't seem right as a battle cry.