Just read this for the 3rd time, it's been saved in my "Inspirational IA" folder :wub:

Very well written, it has all the grim darkness of the future i feel a space marine chapter should have. Their arrogance, genetic purity harkens to a third reich feel but i like how you toned it down with the other themes (self-mutilation and such). One question, what is the cause of the mutations on the light side? solar radiation or some such? if so wouldn't the bands of mutant hunters that the Castigators reqruit from potentially have absorbed some of this radiation? I'd assume that any who did would be rejected during the Apothecaries checks but wouldn't it be better to recruit from those with no exposure to the mutation?

I love the picture of the standard bearer, it really captures how i would see the Castigators. The abbundance of chains, studs, purity seals and ornamentation as well the whip (my favourite). I'd love to see a conversion based on it, perhaps you could include who contributed which pictures? i'd like to see some more of that fella's work.

Edited by gonzilla

One question, what is the cause of the mutations on the light side? solar radiation or some such? if so wouldn't the bands of mutant hunters that the Castigators reqruit from potentially have absorbed some of this radiation? I'd assume that any who did would be rejected during the Apothecaries checks but wouldn't it be better to recruit from those with no exposure to the mutation?

Darrell raised similar points on MSN last week, and it seems I need to re-write the Losancan section a little. Firstly, I'll comment on my views regarding the current status quo, and then I'll talk about how I'm considering revising it.

My thought was that Losanco Secundus is a little too close to the sun; Not close enough that the planet's literally melting, but closer than Earth is, for example. People stepping onto the light-side won't immediately burst into flames, but the damage is all the more insidious. If you consider how in Australia and other countries with a limited o-zone layer, exposure to the sun can begin to cause cancers and other abnormalities, I figured that long-standing exposure (over the course of generations and millennia) has caused serious and sustained genetic damage that can never be recovered from. You can take that as an analogy for the insidious and warping touch of chaos.

My feeling was that the Dark-siders assaulting the mutants would be wrapped up, something like the Tallarn Desert Raiders, and wouldn't be on the light-side long enough to be genetically damaged.

With that said, Darrell was talking to me about how I perhaps ought to make the mutants a greater threat, so that the Dark-siders have to more actively defend themselves. Perhaps even adding in some indigenous life, like Barret suggested, could make the homeworld a little better. It'd give the Dark-side population more experience fighting, which'd perhaps make them more viable candidates for the Castigators.

The Standard Bearer sketch was indeed done by Tiberius. As I've said before, you can see more of his work on Illuminatus. Check my sig! :D

Edited by Commissar Molotov

• 4 weeks later...

Working on my new chapter, the Redemptors, the Vocates Project and trying to fit in an English degree somewhere amidst all of that has seen my Castigators contributions slacken a little. However, if any of the Castigators' fans are still out there, don't despair! I've been working hard these past two weeks on www.castigators.com. which is now open for you. Keep in mind that there's quite a few portions of placeholder text.

That's partly why I'm posting, actually. Part of what I'm writing for Castigators.com is a set of so-called 'Designer's Notes'. Basically it looks at what inspired me, the things that went into the Castigators, things like that. Darrell's been helping me immensely with the project, and we've got some stuff down. The point of the project is to really 'dial down' into the core of what the Castigators are and some of the processes that they underwent in order to make them what they are. My hope is that doing so will inspire, inform and help newer chapter-creators. ;)

Here's an example:

Darrell: What were the inspirations that helped form the Castigators as we know them today? Where did the idea for the Castigators come from?

Molotov: Well, as part of the Chapter creation process, I would eventually call upon many hugely diverse sources. The first, biggest and possibly most obvious inspiration for the Castigators is really the Warhammer 40,000 universe itself. The 'Grim Darkness of the Far Future' has always been an evocative enivronment for me. The galaxy is a bleak, dangerous and inhospitable environment for Humanity, beset on all sides by enemies too hideous to contemplate and clinging on to the last decaying vestiges of a golden age long passed. As the second edition Codex Imperialis states:

'Today is the time of the Beneficient Emperor, the Age of the Imperium of Mankind. It is an age of war already ten thousand years old. In this war mere survival is justly hailed as victory. Defeat can only lead to the irrevocable end of humanity and to the destruction of the very fabric of the universe. It is a war waged across the darkness of space, on a million worlds, and within the depths of every human soul. There can be no conceivable end. No peace except perhaps in oblivion.'

The Space Marines exemplify this terrifying situation. They are the 'Angels of Death'; the only reason for their existence is endless war. it is their reality. There are so many rich, strong ideals and themes surrounding the Marines. they are the last living link to the Emperor, and work unceasingly to shore up Imperial civilisation, to pull it back from the precipice that could only ever lead to extinction. The Space Marines have always inspired me. They endure so much - horrific surgical procedures and enhancements, being torn away from their families to serve the whims of a God-Emperor that they'll never see. They fight and gladly die in the certain conviction that their sacrifice will make a difference.

So in the beginning, my biggest influence was to really examine the core themes of the Space Marines. In my view, any Space Marine Chapter needs to build upon these cornerstones and use them as their base. That's a key part of ensuring the Chapter really feels a part of this universe. The universe is grim and dark, and only the grim and dark can hope to survive.

I also made sure to read up on the wider 40k universe. Of particular interest were the Battlefleet Gothic and Inquisitor rulebooks, each of which illustrated interesting and vibrant sections of the Imperium. Inquisitor would later go on to become a key source of my inspiration. The highly individual Inquisitors provided an interesting counterfoil to the warriors of the Astartes. In particular, the radical/puritan divide within the Inquisition really struck a chord.

I spent a great deal of time in the Warhammer 40,000 forum community. First among these was the Liber Astartes, a component of the famed Bolter and Chainsword forum. Here I read many other DIY chapters, trying to absorb how other people were going about creating their own part of the Legionnes Astartes. I also spent time trying to discern overlying trends and themes. I found that a lot of people were concerned about making their chapters 'cool' or 'unique'. A lot of people seemed to be creating chapters that diverged wildly from what might be considered 'normal'. There also seemed to be a general air of disregard towards the Ultramarines, their primarch and their gene-seed.

I decided to be precocious. I wanted to show that the Codex Astartes and the Gene-seed of the Ultramarines could be used in a vibrant, characterful DIY chapter. I wanted to emphasise that you didn't have to be different to be distinct. And if people were creating 'radical' chapters, I wanted a 'puritan' chapter.

Darrell: What were your inspirations for the Chapter's icon and heraldry?

Molotov: I originally played about with Games Workshop's interactive colour scheme creator and came up with what struck me as a rather original scheme of rotting flesh and red gore. Although decent enough, the scheme didn't ever inspire me - and it didn't ever feel 'right'. Eventually, I came up with an entirely red scheme that seemed to fit the Castigators' character better.

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/4586/comparisonvb9.png

A lot of people have commented regarding the Castigators' chapter symbol, a symbol based heavily on that of the Sons of Korhal, a faction in Blizzard Entertainment's Starcraft series. The symbol was chosen after I had framed up the majority of ideas for the Castigators, and seemed to fit perfectly with the concepts of punishment that I'd come up with.

Darrell: You often discuss the notion of Monodomination with the Castigators - would you like to elaborate more on what monodomination is, and how it helped to define the Castigators' belief system?

Molotov: Monodominance is a philosophy closely associated with the Inquisition. Indeed, I stumbled across it in the Inquisitor rulebook. The treatise 'Monodomination - The Right of Man to Rule the Galaxy in the Emperor's Holy Name', penned by Inquisitor Goldo, preached that the only way for the Emperor's loyal servants to survive a galaxy of war was to destroy everything else. This single-minded dedication to destroy the Emperor's foes really to me seemed something that all marines would take to heart. If you go on to read the Monodominance preaches utter intolerance of aliens, mutation, religious deviation, psykers and the like, it seemed to only further cement my decision to go for a 'puritan' chapter.

There are references in the fluff to the Dark Angels refusing to operate alongside abhumans, and I wanted to take that to the extreme. The Castigators abhor those who stand against them in their hard-fought war for racial survival. Really, you can view the Castigators as a comment on religious fanaticism and persecution. You could consider the eugenical policies of the Losancans as similar to those of Nazi Germany, or the actions of Chinese families killing unwanted children of the 'wrong' gender. Such actions might be seen as 'wrong' to us, but fit perfectly within the grim darkness of the Imperium. You could argue that less value is placed on individual human life in the Imperium - but equally, you can argue that the Losancans (and the Castigators) are making the hard decisions to do what's needed to safeguard the 'purity' of human life.

The Castigators are also, to a degree, my darker reflection. I'm an adherent of the 'straight-edge' lifestyle, and 'straight-edgers' are seen by many as being possessed with an incredible conviction that they are in the right - even when they're not. A moral absolutism, a sense of black and white that translates perfectly to the Space Marines. Their unsubtle natures have made them few friends, but they are committed. True til death.

Basically, I'm firstly looking to see what people think of the 'designer's notes' concept, and whether people think it's workable, or even an interesting read. Following on from that, I was hoping to ask you guys if you'd put together some questions that I could possibly tackle as part of the Designer's Notes project. If there's ever been anything you've been curious about or wanted to ask, or if you want to engineer a question to garner a particular answer, go for it. I'm simply hoping for help from you guys, as you're all intelligent.

The other thing for my most recent post is an idea for part of the next draft of the article:

The dark-siders had grown to blame the mutants for their predicament, learning to fear and hate the mutants with an almost instinctual loathing for imperfection and disease. Malformed babies were killed rather than be left to survive, suffocated often by their own mothers or family members. This hatred of mutation extended beyond the physical form - those children that displayed burgeoning psychic abilities were killed in public ceremonies of devotion to the Emperor. Small bands of brave and pious individuals would often lead expeditions to the bright-side to try to eradicate the mutants' blasphemous scourge from the planet's surface. Although these primitive individuals had no concept of radiation, they knew that should they spend too long on the bright side, they would weaken and die. Only the hardiest (some would say most fool-hardy) undertook such missions.
The Losancans saw the Castigators' actions and came to see them as terrible angels, ferocious emissaries of a God-Emperor that watches over them all the time to ensure they carry out their divine task - the purification of their homeworld. The Castigators are fully aware of the native legends, and have even fostered them simply because they help promote hatred of the mutants. Those children amongst the bands that travel to the light-side to fight the mutants are secretly observed by the Castigators' Chaplains. If one is found worthy, the Chaplain will approach the warband and take the child to become one of His angels.

Darrell was suggesting earlier that the Mutants ought to be more of a threat, to ensure that there's enough of a base for the Castigators to recruit from. It doesn't really work if only a few people actually go out to fight.

So how about this:

The dark-siders had grown to blame the mutants for their predicament, learning to fear and hate the mutants with an almost instinctual loathing for imperfection and disease. Malformed babies were killed rather than be left to survive, suffocated often by their own mothers or family members. This hatred of mutation extended beyond the physical form - those children that displayed burgeoning psychic abilities were killed in public ceremonies of devotion to the Emperor. The dark-siders often had to take up arms to drive back the hated mutants' raids on their small farmsteads. Small bands of brave and pious individuals would even lead expeditions to the bright-side to try to eradicate the mutants' blasphemous scourge from the planet's surface. Although these primitive individuals had no concept of radiation, they knew that should they spend too long on the bright side, they would weaken and die. Only the hardiest (some would say most fool-hardy) undertook such missions.

The Losancans saw the Castigators' actions and came to see them as terrible angels, ferocious emissaries of a God-Emperor that watches over them all the time to ensure they carry out their divine task - the purification of their homeworld. The Castigators are fully aware of the native legends, and have even fostered them simply because they help promote hatred of the mutants. Those children amongst the bands that stand and fight the mutants are secretly observed by the Castigators' Chaplains. If one is found worthy, the Chaplain will approach the warband and take the child to become one of His angels.

------

Thirdly, I wanted to mention that Aerion the Faithful's taken up the concept of the Castigators and will hopefully be posting an illustration soon. We're even discussing the idea of a Castigators comic - something that I hope you guys will be interested in.

More posts soon, fingers-crossed. :o

As usual nic's artwork is always fantastic and i really love the menacing feeling on the picture, the sargeants face really shows off his burns well, and hes still got a smile on his face, even if it is a sadistic one! :lol:

Got a commision lined up from Aerion in the works as well. :wink:

Edited by Pulse

This is absolutely the best DIY chapter I've seen to date, so I think I'll bring it back up to the top of the list. Expertly executed, interesting without being excessive; I can easily imagine this being one of the 900+ chapters we don't know about. That and all the art work is great. I can only hope to get my chapter Iron Order looking THIS good! Are you going to make any minis for the chapter? Edited by Cdaws08

• 1 month later...

It's worth noting that I've started writing some Castigators Fiction at the behest of Aerion the Faithful. He's been nagging me for a while to detail the Castigators in a story, and I've been resisting him, saying that I've not been able to come up with anything interesting. Well, I've started working on a piece of fiction around the Fifth Company, and I'd welcome any feedback. :rolleyes:

I've also been fiddling with the site, so feel free to check it out!

I'm also planning on updating and re-writing the IA article soon.

Well, I'm still reading the story. Thus far (about 3/4), I haven't found anything that hasn't already been mentioned as I've gone through the rest of the thread.

This is a really well done, and thought out Chapter. I wish I had the writing capacity to turn out something similar for my own.

I would just like to comment that it is a great selection you've made for your Chapter's symbol. The first thing that came to mind were the Sons of Korhal, and upon further reading, I found that was intentional. My own Chapter's homeworld, Antiga VII is named after a world in the same game as your heraldry. :)

WOW! that is one great Space Marine chapter you've created here! i really like it very very much!

Well, thanks, Macragge. I'm glad you enjoy it, and I hope it can inspire you to create something equally cool.

Well, I'm still reading the story. Thus far (about 3/4), I haven't found anything that hasn't already been mentioned as I've gone through the rest of the thread.

This is a really well done, and thought out Chapter. I wish I had the writing capacity to turn out something similar for my own.

I would just like to comment that it is a great selection you've made for your Chapter's symbol. The first thing that came to mind were the Sons of Korhal, and upon further reading, I found that was intentional. My own Chapter's homeworld, Antiga VII is named after a world in the same game as your heraldry. :wink:

Invictus, don't be disheartened. From what I've seen, your work is interesting and thought-provoking. You have to remember that I didn't just wake up one day I bang out this IA article. The Castigators have been developed and re-developed for over two years now. And much of it is down to the insightful and intelligent contributions given to me by people within the community.

Also, thanks for the comment about the Symbol. I'm a big Starcraft fan, so I'm glad people pick up on it, but it is important to note that the two symbols aren't the same - Tiberius did take the time to make them different and distinct. And I personally think the Castigators beat the Sons of Korhal hands down. ;) It is, however, something I'd have a nightmare to paint. Fabricator-General (he goes by Cormack on the B+C, I believe) has taken up the gauntlet and started a 1500 point Castigators army for the British Grand Tournament. He's a far better painter than me. Click the picture to find out more!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/Cormack/Castigators/DSCF1898.jpg

One thing that's good about Fab-Gen's incarnation of the Castigators is that they don't look like the Blood Angels, which was something I was initially afraid of, especially with the red armour and the black pad-rims.

I've spent today altering the website to try and make it flow a little better. I also had a look at the Castigators' first company. I've altered it slightly to work a little differently from the First Company of most Codex-adherent Chapters. The Castigators have only twenty-one suits of Terminator Armour, and these are reserved for the Captain (First-Captain Escalus) and four five-man Terminator Squads. As such, the First Company looks somewhat like this:

First Company, Adeptus Astartes Castigators

Company Headquarters:

• First-Captain Escalus
  • Chaplain Renatus
  • Apothecary
  • Standard Bearer

Squads:

• Squad I: Five-Man Terminator Squad
  • Squad II: Five-Man Terminator Squad
  • Squad III: Five-Man Terminator Squad
  • Squad IV: Five-Man Terminator Squad
  • Squad V: Ten-Man Veteran Squad (Power Armour)
  • Squad VI: Ten-Man Veteran Squad (Power Armour)
  • Squad VII: Ten-Man Veteran Squad (Power Armour)
  • Squad VIII: Ten-Man Veteran Squad (Power Armour)
  • Squad IX: Ten-Man Veteran Squad (Power Armour)
  • Squad X: Ten-Man Veteran Squad (Power Armour)
  • Squad XI: Ten-Man Veteran Squad (Power Armour)
  • Squad XII: Ten-Man Veteran Squad (Power Armour)

Company Support:

• Dreadnoughts
  • Rhinos
  • Land Raiders

It's something a little different. With eighty veterans still in power armour, it's interesting to have a Company going up to twelve squads. Should be a little different with the Heraldry, also.

I've also been fiddling with the Dark Angels codex since it came out. Fab-Gen is using the DA codex to represent the GT Castigators Army, and I think to me it really represents what the Space Marines should be. I realise that there's a huge amount of controversy in the community between those that claim it's ridiculously overpowered and those complaining that it's been 'nerfed'. I enjoy it. I think the 5/10 Squads are glorious, and through the whole of 4th Edition I've voluntarily taken a five-man Terminator squad with one heavy weapon. It's the Space Hulk way! :devil: And the napalm death Whirlwind is just the Castigators in a nice little flammable package. :blink:

So I've been fiddling with this:

In order to represent the Castigators on the battlefield, use Codex: Dark Angels to represent them, with the following additional restrictions:

Abhor the Witch: The Castigators cannot tolerate the psyker and scour their ranks to ensure no such abomination can ever shame the name of the Chapter. Librarians may not be taken - nor may you use the Ezekiel special character.

The Blessed Armour: The Castigators only have twenty-one precious suits of Terminator Armour. These are worn by First-Captain Escalus and four Terminator Squads. Typically these squads are attached to the Battle-Companies, but on rare occasions the Terminators may be reassembled into one force - to investigate a Space Hulk, for example. A Castigators army may only include one Terminator Squad. If First-Captain Escalus is included (use the Belial rules to represent him) youmay have four Terminator Squads, but no more! Even if Escalus is included, the rules for Terminator Standard Bearers and Apothecaries may not be used. The first Company's Apothecary and Standard Bearer are power-armoured, allowing the Terminators to fight without distraction. Interrogator-Chaplains may not wear Terminator Armour.

Additional Restrictions: Azrael and Sammael may never be used.

The one thing with that means that the character of Quintilius can never be played, but that's perhaps a good thing. I realise that rules aren't my fort

Man, Fab-Gen's models are great. I worship his freehanding. :blink:

The voluntary restrictions seem good to me. They add that extra bit of fluffyness without breaking the army list. The twelve-squad First Company, with a permanent distinction between Terminators and PA-equipped Vets, is cool. It makes the difference between the two more important, and places greater emphasis on the holiness of Tactical Dreadnought Armour.

Cheers,

Barret

Also, thanks for the comment about the Symbol. I'm a big Starcraft fan, so I'm glad people pick up on it, but it is important to note that the two symbols aren't the same - Tiberius did take the time to make them different and distinct. And I personally think the Castigators beat the Sons of Korhal hands down. It is, however, something I'd have a nightmare to paint.

Well, I don't know if you plan on doing your own Castigators Force, or whether you have one in the works, but you could always use Fighting Piranha Graphics or Griffon/Greenfield Games to make you some decals. Decals don't look too shabby with the right treatment. And with some practice you could always use them as a guide.

Edited by StratoKhan

"This is the planet orbiting the sun, but not spinning (which I think is impossible)."

Nope, it's possible. In fact, the planet Venus is slowly "stopping" and will evetually be unable to turn.

"I figured that long-standing exposure (over the course of generations and millennia) has caused serious and sustained genetic damage that can never be recovered from. You can take that as an analogy for the insidious and warping touch of chaos."

It's scientifically proven that prolonged exposure to UV rays (from the sun) can cause both cancer AND permanent genetic damage (altering DNA codons and other brickabrack). Going from that knowledge, it is understandable that were these survivors to breed-- yes it is more than likely that they would produce horrible, mutated offspring (though the populkation of these freaks would eventually die-off-- because there is only so much damgae that can be done to DNA before reproduction is considered impossible)

A quick thought that I had regarding techmarines: Perhaps the Castigators have a strong dislike of techmarines because they are intentionally altered (servo harnesses), in order to serve the chapter better. The castigators view this as a form of mutation, however necessary the evil might be.

This IA is simply amazing commisar molotov-- I have to work on my confessors' IA after reading this article (however, I get the feeling that our chapters would not be "BFF" )

Edited by The_Chaplain

Well, I don't know if you plan on doing your own Castigators Force, or whether you have one in the works, but you could always use Fighting Piranha Graphics or Griffon/Greenfield Games to make you some decals. Decals don't look too shabby with the right treatment. And with some practice you could always use them as a guide.

I don't plan any Castigators for the forseeable future - if only because most of my time is taken up with various other commitments - trying not to fail my degree being chief among them. :) I've talked to Tubal a bit about decals. He's one of the driving forces behind the B+C's decal project. He explained to me the problems of having a white Chapter symbol. Obviously established companies like Griffon games would be able to get around that - they have the printing technology to print white. But then equally, they might not like the fact that the Castigators' symbol is so close to the Sons of Korhal. Of course, I'm probably not going to be able to assemble a Castigators army for at least two years. :(

"This is the planet orbiting the sun, but not spinning (which I think is impossible)."

Nope, it's possible. In fact, the planet Venus is slowly "stopping" and will evetually be unable to turn.

"I figured that long-standing exposure (over the course of generations and millennia) has caused serious and sustained genetic damage that can never be recovered from. You can take that as an analogy for the insidious and warping touch of chaos."

It's scientifically proven that prolonged exposure to UV rays (from the sun) can cause both cancer AND permanent genetic damage (altering DNA codons and other brickabrack). Going from that knowledge, it is understandable that were these survivors to breed-- yes it is more than likely that they would produce horrible, mutated offspring (though the populkation of these freaks would eventually die-off-- because there is only so much damgae that can be done to DNA before reproduction is considered impossible)

A quick thought that I had regarding techmarines: Perhaps the Castigators have a strong dislike of techmarines because they are intentionally altered (servo harnesses), in order to serve the chapter better. The castigators view this as a form of mutation, however necessary the evil might be.

This IA is simply amazing commisar molotov-- I have to work on my confessors' IA after reading this article (however, I get the feeling that our chapters would not be "BFF" )

Well, I'm not an expert on the mechanics of planetary orbits, certainly. Either way, from my understanding Losanco Secundus has a 'tidally locked' orbit and thus appears not to rotate, but its rotation and its orbit are the same, meaning that it presents the same face to the sun constantly.

With regards to the mutants... well, it's poetic license. Perhaps they steal away pure humans to perpetuate their degenerate species. :)

With regards to the Techmarines, I was curious to know what you meant - I can't see a servo-harness equating to a mutation. After all, servo-arms and servo-harnesses work on the same sort of MIUs as many Imperial technologies. The Castigators happily accept bionics. I think it's just their unseemly worship of the Omnissiah that puts some of the Castigators on edge. Of course, the quandry is that a Chapter of Space Marines cannot operate without the Navigators and the AdMech - so within the Castigators there are (by neccessity) mediators. It is one role of the Chapter Master to ensure that the zealots aren't allowed to cause problems that could fracture the delicate alliances with the Fabricator-General and the Paternova.

I've set up various things within the background of the Castigators to prevent an almighty clash between the Zealots within the Chapter and the Techmarines. The Chapter's battle-brethren are usually forbidden to set foot within the Chapter's forges. On the battlefield Techmarines usually form their own detachments and typically operate seperately from the main battleforce, concentrating on conducting battlefield repairs to damaged wargear. (Which reminds me that I ought to limit the Techmarine to 0-1 in a Castigators army.)

The duties of the Castigators' Chapter Master mean that he does what he can (and must) to quell the more zealous voices within the Chapter and to mediate fractious truces with the Adeptus Astra Telepathica and the Navis Nobilite, organisations of psykers and mutants upon whom the Chapter's existence depends. To me, that's a delightful, delicious irony. Part of the fun with the Castigators, the Imperium, and all religious zealotry to a degree are the fundamental and glaring contradictions and mistakes within their belief systems. I find it quite amusing that the Castigators' entire existence depends on the tolerance of psykers and mutants and witches - and perhaps worse.

Another example of the Chapter Master's role is in the appointment of the Master of the Fleet. The Fourth Company Captain usually holds the title 'Master of the Fleet'. The key being 'usually'. It's a vital role, because the Captain deal with the Chapter's cadre of Techmarines and the few Navigators assigned to the chapter by the Paternova of Earth. Accordingly, I said that on a few occasions, the Chapter Master has reassigned the position of Fleetmaster to a more moderate Captain in order to prevent any 'incidents' that might impair the Chapter's ability to wage war.

One of the things that I'm trying to promote with the Castigators is that not every Marine is a carbon copy. You get quick-witted ones, stupid ones, big ones, small ones, cheerful ones, dour ones. Religious zealots and more pragmatic ones. So there won't always be agreements within a Chapter. There'll be factions, cliques and popularity contests. And that's good! It gives them more character.

I've been looking at IA: Castigators; I want to overhaul it, revisit some of the sections and detail some of the bits that have been a bit lacking. I also want to turn my attention to the issue of sidebars. Most IAs have them. Prime examples would be the Brazen Claws, Scions of Dorn, Grief Bringers and the Black Guard IAs. I mean, it's my philosophy and my experience that an IA is really meant to be a snapshot of a Chapter. In many subtle ways, it's meant to convey to people very neatly what your Chapter is. That's what I try to tell people when I help them create their IA articles. For an easy example, compare how the Imperial Fists and the Iron Warriors each have differing accounts of the Iron Cage. That's not entirely what I'm talking about - I'm not saying that things should be biased towards your Chapter - but that everything you stuff in should reflect, emphasise or portray your Chapter's character somehow. That's especially the case when it comes to including tales of past campaigns. That example you use is really showing your people how you fight. If you read the Iron Hands killing loyal Imperial Citizens after a campaign is won as a punishment - that shows you something about them. The Flesh Tearers attacking loyalist Guardsmen? If your Chapter hates aliens, and you want to convey that, your example battle would probably convey that somehow.

I'm not saying that sidebars should be exclusively battles - if anything, I'm typically glad when they're not. I'm actually stuck at the moment, because I'm not entirely sure what I could use for sidebars. There's lots of little tidbits about the Castigators' history and character that I could use, but I'm not entirely sure what would be best. Should I use a Castigator from the Chapters' past to extoll their virtues? A military encounter? A piece of history? A description of a battle-barge, weapon, vehicle? A currently-serving Marine like Sergeant Caetrus?

I'd appreciate any help people could give me. I'm interested in what your impressions are from the IA, and what you feel is lacking. The sidebars help to reinforce that, in a sense.

EDIT: As a curiosity, or perhaps even a competition, should anyone feel inclined, the vessels of the Castigators' warfleet need naming. The Castigators' Naval assets consist of two Battle Barges, six Strike Cruisers and numerous smaller escort squadrons. As yet, only one of the Battle Barges (the Imperius Excelsis) and one of the Strike Cruisers (the Inviolate) have names. Should you want to contribute, I'd be glad for it! :)

I'll see what I can come up with Mol-- I'm trying to get some of the major kinks out of my WIP IA article-- but naming stuff has always been a hobby of mine.

I'll have to check the latin, and post the name up later-- but I think I have a name for one of the castigators' battle barges that you would be most pleased with.

BTW, do you think you might be able to help (mainly provide feedback) with the IA I'm working on?

I'll probably be posting what i have thus far ,namely ideas> later this afternoon.

Well, sure, give it a try. I can't guarrantee that everything will get used, but it's worthwhile. As a note, I discovered a piece of paper with a name for another of the Castigators' Strike Cruisers - the Absolute. :)

And I'd certainly be glad to help out with your Chapter. It's what the Liber is about. Post up your ideas and I'll try to help as best I can.

• 3 weeks later...
You know, I never got to say this, but, I really love the Castigators, all the work you put into it, and all the help that everyone has given you. :rolleyes: I would love to see something like them end up becoming official, that would be outstanding! I think they're more fleshed out than some of the GW ones!

• 3 weeks later...
The Castigators

"We are the Emperor's will made manifest!"

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Vocates/Castigators.gif

Origins

P
art of the fourteenth great founding of the Legionnes Astartes, the Castigators have gained a reputation as staunch and stalwart guardians of the Imperium. In the millennia since their inception, the chapter has carved its name into the annals of Imperial History on countless occasions, ensuring their name is spoken with respect by friend and foe alike. Many glorious Imperial victories can be attributed to the Castigators, including the Zarath Strand Reprisals, the cleansing of the Symien Expanse and the eradication of the Cult of the Silver Blade. It is clear to all that the Castigators are loyal and true servants of the Emperor.
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigators/castigatorbadge9yf.jpg
Chapter Symbol

As with fully two-thirds of all Space Marine Chapters, the Castigators were formed from the gene-seed of Roboute Guilliman's Ultramarines. They are possessed with a clarity of purpose that reflects the chapter's fastidious focus upon genetic purity. When the Adeptus Mechanicus created the Castigators, only the purest progenoid glands were used - an almost excessively paranoid measure considering the exemplary nature of Guilliman's gene-stock. Indeed, many perfectly usable progenoid glands were considered and then discarded by the Genetor-Magi.

The reasons for these measures would seem to be rooted in the after-effects of the thirteenth Astartes founding, the so-called 'Dark Founding'. All records of this tumultuous time have long since been eradicated or lost, leaving behind only assumption and supposition. Few know exactly what transpired during this period of Imperial history, and none seem prepared to divulge their secrets. Still, it is clear that the Imperium's focus on genetic purity appears to have deeply affected the Castigators to this day.

The Chapter's first Master was a Black Consul by the name of Baraquiel. He was known by his men as 'The Castigator', and was possessed with a fervent desire to purge the enemies of the Emperor for their transgressions. When given the command of the nascent chapter, he bestowed the name 'Castigators' upon the marines, hoping to inspire the same righteous fury in his men.

Once the chapter was founded, the Adeptus Mechanicus gifted them with a newly-crafted Battle Barge from the forges of Mars, the Imperius Excelsis. Other craft were donated both by the Black Consuls and the Ultramarines. The Castigators headed deep into the Ultima Segmentum on a campaign to prove their worth as servants of the Emperor.

Homeworld

U
pon the tenth anniversary of the Chapter's founding, the Castigators found the small world of Losanco Secundus. The planet was a celestial anomaly; one of only a handful in the Imperium known to have a 'tidally locked' orbit. The time the planet took to rotate on its axis and the time it took to orbit the system's star were exactly the same. This odd circumstance meant that one half of the planet was shrouded in perpetual darkness whilst the other basked in permanent light and debilitating radiation. The planet should never have sustained life and yet, it did.
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigators/CastigatorAncient.gif
Ancient Rhetoricus

It appeared that millennia ago, an Imperial vessel had crashed onto Losanco. The descendents of those few survivors clung to the barely habitable dark-side, surviving on the last remnants of the failing technology, subjected to the intense cold. Many of the planet's highest peaks were swathed in ice. Life was an unending struggle against the elements for survival, a struggle that ensured only the strongest could survive. Food was scarce, grown by dim moonlight in areas where streams of warm air reached the dark-side.

By contrast, those few cursed individuals that existed in the eternal day were mutated almost beyond recognition. Losancan legends suggested to the dark-siders that one day the Emperor would appear, bringing light and tranquillity to its troubled people and transforming the planet into a verdant paradise. The legends continued to state that He would only appear when the planet was 'deserving' - when it was freed from the blight of mutants and witches.

The dark-siders had grown to blame the mutants for their predicament, learning to fear and hate the mutants with what had become an almost instinctual loathing for imperfection and disease. Babies showing even the most minor of malformations were hurriedly and quietly killed by their own mothers or families, such was the stigma of giving birth to a mutant offspring. This hatred of mutation extended beyond the physical form - those children that displayed burgeoning psychic abilities were killed in public ceremonies of devotion to the Emperor. Small bands of brave and pious individuals would often lead expeditions to the bright-side to try to eradicate the mutants' blasphemous scourge from the planet's surface. Although these primitive individuals had no concept of radiation, they knew that should they spend too long on the bright side, they would weaken and die. Only the hardiest (some would say most fool-hardy) undertook such missions.

This dichotomy between light and dark struck a chord in Baraquiel's soul. Their eternal fight against corruption convinced him that they could serve as a potential source of future Castigators. He ordered a series of rigorous tests to confirm their genetic purity. Once he received the results, the Chapter began construction of their Fortress-Monastery buried deep within the moon of Losanco Secundus. Known as 'The Sanctuary', it is here that all the records of the Castigators' actions are kept, where the trophies won by the Chapter are stored, and where the marines train. A large part of the fortress is given over to places of worship; indeed, each Company maintains its own extensive chapel. These massive structures provide both a place of worship and a record of war. Campaign banners and Company standards drape the walls; the armour and accoutrements of long-dead heroes remain displayed to inspire the living. Many of the chapels hold the spoils of war. Every marine whose body has been recovered is laid to rest within the Chapels' crypts. These sacred tombs are also where the Dreadnoughts of the chapter are allowed to rest; remaining alongside their dead comrades until the chapter calls them into service.

The Losancans saw the Castigators' actions and came to see them as terrible angels, ferocious emissaries of a God-Emperor that watch over them ceaselessly to ensure they carry out their divine task - the purification of their homeworld. The Castigators are fully aware of the native legends, and have even fostered them simply because they help promote hatred of the mutants. Those children amongst the bands that travel to the light-side to fight the mutants are secretly observed by the Castigators' Chaplains. If one is found worthy, the Chaplain will approach the warband and take the child to become one of His angels.

Battlefield Doctrine

R
oboute Guilliman's Codex Astartes is considered a holy text by the Castigators, and the Brothers of the Chapter hold themselves to the same high standards as the Ultramarines, adhering faithfully to its dogma. War is the reason for the Chapter's existence, and the Castigators seek to prepare for it well. Before each battle, the force gathers together in prayer to affirm their faith. The higher ranks of the chapter - especially Captains and Chaplains - are known as skilled orators and they put these skills to good use, rousing a righteous fury in the hearts and minds of those beneath them. When the chapter fights, it is sustained by a deeply-held belief that they are the guardians of humanity. It is their divine duty to defend the Emperor's flock, and they will not accept failure in what they consider to be the holiest of all endeavours.

As Space Marines of the Adeptus Astartes, practical issues dictate the Castigators' tactical orthodoxy to a degree. The limited numbers of the Chapter ensure that they are not used as a blunt instrument like the numberless masses of the Imperial Guard. The Castigators could be considered a predominantly attacking force, mounting and executing rapid, overwhelming assaults that ensure the Space Marines always maintain the initiative. Indeed, the Commanders of the Chapter would accept a traditional battle only on the most favourable of terms, or if necessity dictated. Drop-podding troops and thunderhawk-deployed vehicles can rapidly assault the enemy. Tactical and Devastator squads can suppress the enemy with skilled gunfire before the Chapter's Assault Marines descend upon them. Faced with such decisive force, the enemy simply cannot resist.

When called upon to defend ground, the Castigators raise icons of faith and sacred standards high before planting them into the ground, vowing to make the enemy pay a heavy price for each step taken. They will grimly fight to the last whilst inflicting as much damage as possible upon enemy forces, asking no quarter and giving none. The Castigators are ferocious warriors, known on occasion to fight to the last man rather than admit defeat. Battles against the chapter are always bloody and hard-fought, simply because the Castigators refuse to retreat unless their commanders order such. As part of their defensive strategy, the Castigators will attempt to disrupt their attackers. Assault forces undertaking skillfully-executed raids can cause huge amounts of damage before rapidly disengaging. Scouts can sabotage enemy materiel or assassinate prominent leaders, even going so far as to teleport the Chapter's Terminators into an enemy camp to brutally decapitate them.

During protracted campaigns, the Castigators have been known to establish firebases (also known as Castellum) from which they can operate. Whilst such circumstances are relatively rare, as the Brothers of the Chapter would prefer to remain mobile (and can typically rely upon the vessels of the Castigators' fleet) these bases can provide a venue to repair, rearm and supply the forces, as well as providing a solid redoubt from which to assault their foes.

Because of the chapter's unflinching bravery, even the Collegiate Strategos has paid tribute to the Castigators, its annals acknowledging them as one of the finest examples of the Imperial maxim 'death before dishonour'. The Castigators are determined, stubborn warriors, determined to struggle to victory whatever the cost. Whilst some have criticised the Castigators for their tactics, the Chapter has - thus far successfully - refuted these statements, claiming that rather than single-mindedly fighting their way into certain death, they judge their fights well to ensure that the enemy is eradicated. To the Castigators, a wasteful death is pointless, but a justified death is the greatest honour.

Chapter Organisation

I
n accordance with the Codex Astartes, the Castigators maintain ten Companies of Marines. The first consists of the Chapter's veterans, the most skilled warriors who have received additional training, particularly in the use of Terminator armour. The Chapter possesses only twenty-one venerated suits of Terminator Armour, and these are worn by the greatest warriors in the chapter. When not in use they occupy positions of honour in the First Company's Chapel of Heroes. Should a Terminator fall, the techmarines will painstakingly repair the armour so that it may see battle again. The first company typically disperses to fight alongside the battle-companies, allowing the more experienced warriors to impart their wisdom to their brethren.

The second, third, fourth and fifth companies are the battle-companies, each with a mixture of tactical, devastator and assault squads. With such a variety of squads, the Battle Companies are highly flexible and tactically adaptable. Indeed, a typical force deployed by the Castigators will be centred around a Battle-Company, with attached elements from other Companies.

The sixth and seventh companies are tactical reserve companies; the eighth and ninth are assault and devastator reserve companies, respectively. The Reserve Companies often fight support of their brethren in the Battle-Companies, reinforcing battle lines, launching diversionary attacks or countering enemy assaults. In addition, the Marines of the Reserve Company can be transferred into the Battle-Companies to replace casualties sustained. The Castigators' tenth company, the scout company, is small when compared to other chapters of the Adeptus Astartes, mainly due to the chapter's extremely thorough recruitment processes. Much like the first company, the scouts almost never fight as one force. Instead they are assigned to the battle companies where they can gain experience alongside their elders.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigators/BrotherJonas1.jpg
Castigator Marine
Librarians
The newly-created Castigators chapter had a number of Librarians, drawn from the Black Consuls. During their initial ten-year crusade, the Castigators also recruited a number of psychically-gifted initiates from the worlds they fought upon. As the original Librarians died out, and the Castigators continued to recruit from a world where the pyschic population was eradicated, the chapter began to absorb the Losancan belief system. They could no longer countenance 'witches' sullying the chapter's name, and as such the responsibility of keeping a record of the chapter's history was given to ordinary brother-marines who adopted the role of 'Librarian'. Now each of the Castigators' brother-marines will undertake a period of service in the chapter's Librarium once every decade, working to duplicate ancient texts and to pass on the stories of the Castigators' past. These 'Librarians' accompany Company Captains, recording the chapter's history, recounting tales of battles fought throughout the millennia, and learning lessons from the actions of others. This allows every battle-brother to be intimately familiar with the chapter's history of warfare.

Techmarines
Like the majority of Space Marine chapters, the Castigators honour ancient pacts with the Adeptus Mechanicus that stretch back millennia to their very founding. Those amongst the Castigators with an affinity for technology are dispatched to Mars, where they are initiated into the Martian tech-cults. This is acknowledged as a necessary process - without the techmarines, the Adeptus Astartes would be left unable to tend to the machine spirits, to observe the rites that ensure continued operation of their wargear, or to repair damage taken on the field of battle. But the process comes at a lamentable price - the loss of battle-brothers to the worship of the Omnissiah. The techmarines are mysterious and capricious, aloof and distant. Their inscrutable ways are not easily understood by most of the battle-brethren. Indeed, some of the more zealous factions among the chapter distrust the techmarines. To them, the worship of the Omnissiah is at best dangerous, and at worst heretical. It is a duty of the Chapter Master to ensure that these ideological tensions are defused and that no blood is spilt. It is said that some of the Castigators' techmarines struggle their entire lives to resolve the differences between their chapter's creed and the dictates of the Liber Mechanicus. These tortured souls keep their distance from their beloved battle-brothers that hate them so, seeking solace among the lobotomised servitors and the machine-spirits that inhabit the chapter's equipment.

Chapter Cult and Belief System

F
erocity and zealous passion are qualities valued by the Castigators. Life on Losanco Secundus ensures that the Chapter's recruits are strong-willed, used to hardship and driven by a heartfelt desire to hunt and destroy deviants and mutants. The chapter fosters this intolerance for mutants in its recruits, regarding them as an abomination against the Emperor, to be exterminated with extreme prejudice. The threat of the mutant is so great that the Castigators put themselves, and their greatest prize - their purity - in harm's way to battle the enemies of the Emperor. Much like the people of Losanco Secundus fighting the mutants of the day-side, the Castigators sacrifice all that is dear to them to rid the Imperium of a greater taint. It is a thankless task, but the Castigators undertake the challenge willingly.
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Castigators/Renatus2.png
Chaplain Renatus

The Chaos powers are abhorred by the chapter, despised for their warping touch. Those that have allowed themselves to submit to temptation and fall to Chaos are especially hated by the Castigators. As far as they are concerned, it is unthinkable to allow oneself to stray from the Emperor's path and into the worship of the Dark Gods. Those that submit to the dark powers are weak and must be killed before their heresy can corrupt others. The Castigators are known to have participated in several protracted engagements against Chaos Space Marines, including the so-called 'Harvesters' chapter and the Word Bearers legion, for whom the Castigators harbour a special hatred.

The Castigators are known to adhere to philosophies that could be compared to Inquisitor Goldo's principles of Monodomination. They are utterly ruthless and unforgiving when it comes to those they perceive as aiding the enemies of the Imperium. Mutants, aliens, psykers and religious deviants are all to be called to account for their activities. The only punishment for those who stray from the Emperor's path is death. The Castigators are utterly devoted to this belief and have in the past even been openly hostile towards loyalist Space Marines they have perceived to have a mutated or debased gene-seed. They utterly refuse to work alongside aliens such as Eldar or Kroot.

Whilst some have called the Castigators overly aggressive, narrow-minded, or bigoted, none can deny the fervour with which they go about their tasks. The Castigators have influential allies that allow them to continue unmolested; some traditional and puritan Inquisitors have gone so far as to openly applaud the Castigators, seeing their actions as those of the truly faithful. The chapter has worked in concert with puritan elements of the Emperor's Inquisition on several occasions throughout its history. It is not uncommon for such Inquisitors to work with militant cults in the Imperium such as the Redemptionists to create frenzied mobs and stir up hatred, intolerance and xenophobia amongst planetary populations. These beliefs are similar to those of the Castigators, and this has lead to them aiding such cults at the urging of an Inquisitor.

Above all, the Castigators revere the Emperor for His sacrifice and for all He had to endure to ensure that humanity survived the dark days of the Horus Heresy. He surrendered more than most can even imagine. Many of the chapter's marines commit acts of self-mutilation in an attempt to further their own spiritual growth. These acts are overlooked by the Chapter's commanders, as they encourage piety. The pain is welcomed, and is a small price to pay for understanding even a small sliver of the Emperor's suffering and sacrifice. The Castigators look upon the Chapter's Dreadnoughts with awe. This is in part because chapter reveres these warriors for the heroic deeds they achieved in life, and also because they echo the Emperor Himself - their bodies are shattered but still they continue to fight the enemies of Humankind. Their courage, determination and tenacity are an example which every marine in the chapter strives to emulate. The ancient warriors encased within these sarcophagi can prove devastating on the field, and company Captains often seek their counsel before committing their forces.

It has been noted by Imperial observers that the Castigators grudgingly tolerate both the Astropaths and those of the Navigator Gene. This has led some to criticise the Castigators' belief system as hypocritical. The Castigators roundly refute such allegations, arguing that both institutions were created and sanctioned by the Emperor - just as the Adeptus Astartes were.

In memory of their auspicious founding, every fourteen years those companies not currently engaged in battle meet at the Sanctuary. Battle-brothers, comrades and friends are allowed to meet and honour their success together. Great trophies are brought back to the fortress monastery and relics are paraded in front of the assembled marines. Each and every dreadnought in the chapter is awoken and great prayer services are held to honour the fallen, to remember the great moments of the chapter's history and to reaffirm oaths of loyalty, piety and faith. Captured banners are paraded, the heads of defeated foes exhibited and the manner of their capture and defeat recalled with grim detail. The ceremonies last for fourteen days and then the chapter disperses once more to where they are needed to continue the protection of the Imperium of Man. Neophytes inducted into the chapter during this two-week period are seen as blessed and are usually predicted to become great warriors.

Gene-seed

Y
ears uncounted of rigorous gene-screening practices have inculcated an obsession for genetic purity within the Castigators. Having descended from the Black Consuls, the Brothers of the Chapter take pride in the fact that they are able to trace their genetic lineage back to Roboute Guilliman of the Ultramarines. The Ultramarines themselves are renowned for possessing the purest of all loyalist legions' gene-seeds, and that purity has been inherited by their successors.

The Castigators' Apothecaries demand absolute and total excellence in ensuring this purity is maintained. Great stead is placed on health and purity, and the Apothecarion makes sure that only the strongest and healthiest of Losanco Secundus' populace are selected to become marines. The trials for neophytes are particularly stringent, and the Apothecaries take great care to ensure that the gene-seed does not develop flaws or mutate in any way. Any neophytes that exhibit signs of mutation are dissected as subjects of study in an attempt to determine what went wrong. Progenoid glands extracted from dead marines may not be implanted if there is any suggestion that they may be tainted.

This unyielding thoroughness means that the Castigators replace losses at a slower rate than in most marine chapters. In recent years there have been few occasions when the Castigators have been at full chapter strength. The Castigators contend, however, that their rigidly maintained purity makes them more than a match for their foes. Edited by Commissar Molotov

wow, the quality of this IA increases with every update Mol-- adding the fanart really gives this article "pop" (besides what's included in the back story of course).

I would suggest updating this at a later date using the new B&C marine painter to display your marines' color scheme (but I'd hold off on that until they add new wargear options-- if you have color alterations for assault marines and such).

Castigators == cool. I don't think I have anything left to suggest or comment on with these guys. :blush:

The only thing I noticed is that you still reference the "Zarathustran Crusade", which is now the "Zarath Strand Reprisals". And I still need to know who and what the Castigators committed to the campaign, other than Renatus and parts of the 1st Co, so I can finish writing it up.

I'd say you've got everything well-honed. The new format is extremely flattering, especially with lovely artwork to complement it.

The Castigators are very well written, I believe that stylistically they are a great success, as the IA article certainly feels 'official'.

You've worked the chosen themes very well (purity, zealotry) and you should consider this an excellent contribution to Liber.

Edited by StratoKhan

I would suggest updating this at a later date using the new B&C marine painter to display your marines' color scheme (but I'd hold off on that until they add new wargear options-- if you have color alterations for assault marines and such).

Well, thanks for the comment, Chap. Whilst I like the work Argos has put into the Space Marine Painter - it's certainly a useful resource that has helped to reignite peoples' interest in DIYs - I'm more than happy with the illustration drawn up for me by Scally. :)

The only thing I noticed is that you still reference the "Zarathustran Crusade", which is now the "Zarath Strand Reprisals".

Edited. :tu:

I'd say you've got everything well-honed. The new format is extremely flattering, especially with lovely artwork to complement it.

The Castigators are very well written, I believe that stylistically they are a great success, as the IA article certainly feels 'official'.

You've worked the chosen themes very well (purity, zealotry) and you should consider this an excellent contribution to Liber.

Thanks for the compliment, Khan. It was actually the IA: Flaming Swords that inspired my to jazz up the Castigators' IA. :)

-------------

I got this from Darrell:

I was re-reading the Castigator IA and something struck me:

As battle is joined, icons of faith and sacred standards are raised high and then planted into the ground, the chapter vowing to make the enemy pay a heavy price for each step taken...

Because of the chapter's unflinching bravery, even the Collegiate Strategos has paid tribute to the Castigators, its annals acknowledging them as one of the finest examples of the Imperial maxim 'death before dishonour'....

Battles against the chapter are always bloody and hard-fought, simply because the Castigators refuse to retreat unless their commanders order such...

Some have criticised the Castigators, claiming that such tactics waste valuable manpower and resources....

I know that in your original IA, the first line was more like "The standard was placed in the ground and the Chapter vowed to not take a single step back". It seems the rest of the lines still follow that context, and were never adjusted to account for the more tactical-minded Castigators. The first sentence, reworked, now sounds like they will make a gradual, fighting withdrawal in the face of overwhelming odds. That kind of fighting doesn't strike me as being representative of 'death before dishonour', nor does it seem like a tactic that wastes valuable manpower and resources.

Personally, I liked it much better when they stuck the standard in the ground and didn't budge. It gave them a very stubborn, almost spiteful aura towards their enemy that reminded me of a Word Bearers or Imperial Fists mentality.

I think those latter sentences need to be reworked a bit so it doesn't sound like the Castigators are stubbornly standing their ground come hell or high water. Just something I thought I would throw out there.

With regards to the wording of the original IA versus the newer one, it was really that I didn't want the Castigators to just disappear overnight in one folorn hope. It's a bit awkward, trying to portray them as the stubborn, dogmatic zealots whilst also juxtaposing the Marine, warrior elements to them. I'd appreciate peoples' thoughts on this.