Master of Sanctity Vardemis

DV8

My biggest problem right now is a color for the Crozius handle. I'm thinking maybe purple, to balance the big bright cape on the left, but I don't know...with the gems and the eyes, it might be too much...any thoughts on this?

Why not paint it in the same tone of brownish yellow you used for the freehand on the cape, maybe give it a fur look or something, like cougar skin?

When I hear people say "Something traditional with the base" I immeadiately think samey, while I think you still need to work on the base a bit still, don't betray your vision for other peoples sense of style and art.

Question on the planned mural for the back, why is the cloak so huge? It looks like it is overenlarged.

I think a nice, deep purple for the Crozius shaft would complement the cape real well. The other option would be the golden yellow you used for the chapter colors (maybe a nice inverse color thing here, yellow shaft with purple freehand?) Brown or something like that just wouldn't be as cool.

Maybe it's just me, but the base looks a little too lifeless. Drybrushing it some more should do some good.

The model is really great so far, keep up the good work. I mean, hell, you even draw well.

the model looks alrite, though the cloak could use some work. Looks good so far, the base is quite big :) I like that. Anyway keep us all posted, wouldn't mind seeing the final soon. (I'm working on mine hope I can do the tank, the squad & the mini in time.. lol)

Absolutely Brilliant. Saved to my big 40k folder of inspiration. Good luck for the daemon.

If you have a moment, and haven't already:

How do you do your metallics? I haven't painted for a while (=forgotten how to) and like what you've done.

What colours did you use for the battle damage? And how did you get it to show up so well on black?

Is that blue pencil?

I've been inspired by this piece to try doing the same style of battle damage and was wondering how to go about doing it. I seem to remember there being a tutorial on Kaple's site but it doesn't appear to be there any longer, I guess its now on his cd. So anyone know how to? Or could DV8 enlighten me?

Cheers guys

Looks boss! For the crozius, I'd suggest purple stipling, then white/purple stipling, then white light stipling. When finished with that stage go overthe raised strapping with either black or dark brown/black ink. I did this technique similarly on my Librarian force weapon to put "force" into the shaft, rather than a stick with a shiny blade.

Do a warm color. :rolleyes: You've got plenty of cool colors on the model, what you need is a few warm color, which will really compliment what you already have.

Right now you have lots of white, and black obviously. Which are fairly neutral. Than you have the purple. Which being pretty bright over powers the red and bleached bone on the purity seals. I would say a yellowish brown. Maybe with bubonic to "perk" it up.

Artimis

Absolutely stunning work. I will be amazed if this doesn't rate HIGH in the GDs.

I especially like your initial cloak freehand design, the "grafitti" style of drawing is so unusual and (if you don't mind me saying) absurd that it might just look really great if you pull it off. Can't wait to see it done, it'll be nice to see a change from the usual gothic freehand that dominates Marines.

My apologies for the late updates, but the call of life has kept me busy for the past few days. Did yellow for the Crozius handle (and I've decided to ditch the Heraldry shield as it's just...I dunno..more a distraction than anything. Also did the mural. Some minor tweaks methinks, but the model's almost done!

Biggest change is the base. After much deliberation, I ditched the stone base idea and went for a more traditional basing theme. I also picked up some display stands for my entries.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Chaplain%20Vardemis/body9.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Chaplain%20Vardemis/crozius.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Chaplain%20Vardemis/mural.jpg

You can even draw great as well.

I'm actually studying Technical Illustration at Sheridan College (finished second year, going into Industrial Design/Architecture afterwards). So I kind of cheat in that regards. :D

the model looks alrite, though the cloak could use some work. Looks good so far, the base is quite big :) I like that. Anyway keep us all posted, wouldn't mind seeing the final soon. (I'm working on mine hope I can do the tank, the squad & the mini in time.. lol)

Snakebite/Vomit Brown baseoat

Vomit Brown glazes

Vomit Brown/Golden Yellow glazes

Golden Yellow glazes

Snakebite Leather glazes back into the shadows

Golden Yellow highlights

Absolutely Brilliant. Saved to my big 40k folder of inspiration. Good luck for the daemon.

If you have a moment, and haven't already:

How do you do your metallics? I haven't painted for a while (=forgotten how to) and like what you've done.

What colours did you use for the battle damage? And how did you get it to show up so well on black?

Is that blue pencil?

Metallics are complicated. I'm still actually tweaking. But:

Boltgun metal basecoat

Glaze into the shadows with tons of diluted washes. I used the following combos:

Scorched Brown/Chaos Black

Dark Flesh

Dark Flesh/Chaos Black

Catachan Green

Chaos Black

Random, to get rust effects.

Then glaze back up with Boltgun Metal and Mithril Silver

The battle damage is Scorched Brown/Black basecoat, Scorched Brown (leave a black outline). A line of Bestial Brown along the bottom of the Scorched Brown. Black line at the top for some depth, and then white highlights at the bottom.

And yes, it's a Prismacolor Col Erase Indigo Blue.

May I ask how the "beaten copper" is painted? :P

Brazen Brass basecoat.

Chaos Black/ScorcheD Brown glazes

Brazen Brass glazes

Very simple. Keep going back and forth between the last two steps until you achieve the desired effect/look.

DV8

Well, that's just plain beautiful. Hope you do well at the GDs. I really can't get over how good that is.

Are you going to do anything more with the base/dsiplay? It just looks a little bare right now compared to the detail level of the main model.

The display base is nowhere near done. Static grass to tie in the model to the display base, and I might add some mushrooms. :)

Then I need to gloss varnish the black edge so it looks like a display base, and not painted wood.

DV8

:P :D :) Dorn be praised!! that is a seriously BA chaplain there mate, and i dont mean Blood Angels!

good luck on the entries and keep up the good work. And congrats, you just made my painting look like a two-year-old's wall drawings! :D

May I ask how the "beaten copper" is painted? :)

Brazen Brass basecoat.

Chaos Black/ScorcheD Brown glazes

Brazen Brass glazes

Very simple. Keep going back and forth between the last two steps until you achieve the desired effect/look.

DV8

Ahh, most perfect :D Now I know exactly how to it with my Dark Apostle :devil:

Well I know ALOT of people didn't like the huge stone base, but I think the understaed base will hurt you in the end, you have a couple of weeks, I would suggest trying something like a pile of skulls or something similar to really make the mini pop.

Archived