Master of Sanctity Vardemis

DV8

Wooooooh! Slow down there dude! The yellow you've got on the Crozius handle is waaaay to saturated! It completely dominates the figure and is all I can see now.

When I suggested a muted yellow it was for that very reason... the saturated yellow is to aggresive, it jumps out at you, while the violets natural tendencies is to recede. The Crozius is now the center of attention, which I'm guessing you really didn't want. My eye get's pulled back to that every time and it's hard to see the rest of it...

I think you should change the saturation or lower the value of the yellow, because right now it hurts the figure more than anything...

Sorry for being harsh, but I really really like this one and I want you to do well at the Demons... :)

This model has got to be one of the best damn figures I have seen ever .....I gotta tell you thanks for the breakdown on how you made this all happen. Im going to try and copy it to the best of my mere mortal ability but Im not hoping for much.

Awesome, just awesome..

I hope/dread that you entered this in the Baltimore GDs. If you entered, I really hope it would get placed, because it is a truly amazing piece, a few things aside. And I want to know that you won something. But, there are some problems/unfinished parts. The yellow crozius handle needs to have some glazes of brown or yellow to dull it a bit. As King Kong said, it's like a magnet, pulling the eye there and making it the focus point of the model. Not a good thing.

Also, I was horrified to find that two purity seals on the crozius/crozius arm were unpainted! I hope you didn't enter it, because if you forgot about those you're screwed.

Also, while the old base was strange, this one lacks the power that it had behind it before. Slap a big piece of slate or tree bark on there, paint it like a rock, and put him on it like before! Only better!

I'm a heretic for not continuously posting updates the past week. I know.. :P *recites Litanies of Penitence*. I've talked it over with a lot of my friends (many being staffers at my local GW) and they've all agreed that the Crozius doesn't necessarily need a glaze to dull it down (though I'll let y'all argue against it along with reasons why... I may still tweak it on Friday).

I've also touched up any mistakes of mine, smoothed out the blending of the Scythe on the mural, touched up the gems, and painted the skulls on the base (yes...I added skulls...hyper-polished skulls at that). I've also added a subtle hint in the placement of the static grass, although I may tweak that a little more. Any thoughts on what I should add to the base?

FYI I'm going to have to tweak the Crozius a little more, as it's still looking a bit rough to me.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Chaplain%20Vardemis/1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Chaplain%20Vardemis/2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Chaplain%20Vardemis/finaltop.jpg

I've posted the skull/white and the parchment recipes before, but I'll post it again for those who don't want to sift through all the previous pages:

Bone/White:

Basecoat 50/50 Codex Grey/Chaos Black

Codex Grey

75/25 Codex Grey/Commando Khaki

50/50 Codex Grey/Commando Khaki

25/75 Codex Grey/Commando Khaki

Commando Khaki

75/25 Commando Khaki/Bleached Bone

50/50 Commando Khaki/Bleached Bone

25/75 Commando Khaki/Bleached Bone

Bleached Bone

75/25 Bleached Bone/Skull White

50/50 Bleached Bone/Skull White

25/75 Bleached Bone/Skull White

Skull White

All layers are glazed on. For things like the eagle wings, you can skip out on some of the steps as the glazes combined with the smaller surface area will allow for a smooth transition without all the layers. Yes, this means that my skulls took obscenely long. I hated each and every moment I was painting the skulls on the base.

Parchment:

Basecoat Graveyard Earth

75/25 Graveyard Earth/Commando Khaki

50/50 Graveyard Earth/Commando Khaki

25/75 Graveyard Earth/Commando Khaki

Commando Khaki

75/25 Commando Khaki/Bleached Bone

50/50 Commando Khaki/Bleached Bone

25/75 Commando Khaki/Bleached Bone

Bleached Bone

Again, all layers glazed on. Smaller items like purity seals have had some layers skipped, although not a whole lot. The parchment also received a very final galze of Graveyard Earth in the shadows, for tone.

Edit: those values aren't ratios...those are percentages.

Fire away. If you have any other questions, or would like to see some closeups, I'd be more than happy to oblige. For those who'd rather chat on msn, bewahrung@hotmail.com Feel free to add me, although let me know who you are (otherwise you'll get a questioning "Who are you?" as a first message. :blush:)

DV8

At the behest of JokersMinis, here's some closeups:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Chaplain%20Vardemis/DSC02106.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Chaplain%20Vardemis/DSC02109.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Chaplain%20Vardemis/DSC02107.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Chaplain%20Vardemis/DSC02108.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Chaplain%20Vardemis/DSC02110.jpg

DV8

Wow, I really like it. The mural on the cape looks awsome. I also really like, though its not part of the model, the placment of the static grass. It took me a secound to think of what it was but I think it looks really good.

I hope you do well on Saturday!

-Mclain

I have a suggestion.

You should REALLY paint the grass, at the moment it has that weird, too green for life look.

If you're unsure, try this on a patch of grass on a separate base first. Most tank modellers etc I know, always paint the grass, to get it looking more realistic, it's almost heresy using it straight from the box without painting.

-Just ink it with a darkbrown(add some green if you want a little life in the grass)

-Then Drybrush the grass with either a lightbrown for sorta dried grass, or a warm green for live grass.

-Don't forget to highlight ^_^

Btw, you could try a really thin greenish glaze over the crozius, if you'd want contrast to all the purples etc...

Cheers

The only thing that bothers me are the purity seals on the crozius handle. I can understand why the stuff close to his body isn't affected by the wind but the seals on the crozius should be blowing just like the ones on his leg. I suppose it is a bit too late for that now though...

Other than that small qualm this thing is amazing...

-The Gov

^_^ :P That about sums it up. I am so looking forward to seeing the mini and meeting you in person. I am very glad I am not putting a super effort into my Single 40k entry either as I know I wouldn't stand a chance against yours :devil:

Ja

dude - you're my hero!

thats one :tu: awesome chaplain!

absolutely love it!

ok i'm gonna stop with the exclaimation marks now before the men in white coats turn up and take me away, but seriously that is some really great work - coverting and painting!

Very nice work there.

About the grass: I'd try to accent it with rocks or other foliage as it will be difficult to see the effect from a normal angle. Maybe create the scythe and other features from rock or rubble and only have the cloak made from grass. I second chronophagues suggestions aswell.

Hawt, I love the freehand, i know its late but i dont like the way the chrozus is faceing, just looks odd other then that its freeken hawt. what chapter did u paint him as. i cant find it anywhere in this thred,

Archived