DIY Chapter - Tears of Medusa

Spiffy, very nice army you've got going on here, the NMM looks really good , no matter if the reflections are right eh? the one thing i don't like all that much is the landspeeder, I don't like the design, but i must say it is well executed. Dread looks amazing BTW.

^High^Marshal_Luik, perhaps he is protected by portable void shielding? ;) just an idea there :wacko:

Once and for all, he IS protected by a force field, very much simmilar to what a chaplain uses, but a bit bigger and more powerful. You can NOT lob a rock in there, or a grenade, vegetables of any kind, nothing.

By the way don't ever make fun of warriors fallen for the emperor and the omnissiah.

@dagomir

brother eddie or venerable brother eddie for you. He had a mission to travel back in time, to report about the first sonic weaponry. As he came back, he was nearly crazy and speaking about "warhammer 2k". So he was entombed into a dread that was designed for him after a tshirt he wore after his time travel.

@grey knight

the refections aren't right, i don't think its worth the time to paint correct ones. I use NMM for the looks only, not for physics studies. :ph34r:

Looking at all the forums where i posted the speeder i must say the following: seems like if the first post after the pics is decisive. If its positive, all following posters like the speeder, if it's critical then noone likes it at all. The 'landspeeder-taste' can't be so much different from forum to forum i thought...

I like your painting as always. But as said by -Q- the speeder looks like something spun out of roller coaster tycoon 2 :rolleyes: You can do a lot with it, if you maybe just do a stock speeder? Paint it on par with that one, you'll be sittin' in butter because, man can you paint ;)

Artimis

The newest addition to the Tears of Medusa: LasCanOnChains

It was a kind of side product from the speeder, but i like how it came out.

I think its a good way to show the dedication towards machines of my order.

The marine on the pics is just for size comparison.

The pics are quite bad this time again, some colours are definitely wrong... i hate that cam and my photo skills.

btw. what does this :o emonicon mean ? looks like the F

Reminds me of the old Rapiers. neat. I was planning on making something similar for my battlebrothers to play with. Where's the capacitor battery pack for that sucker? Mabey adding a box onto the back would help (visually) balance it a bit.

Okay then. :tu:

And attractive earth/sky NMM on the barrel and wheels, too. if I uy an extra Land Raider weapons sprue so that I have two full sets of sponsons (To swap freely between normal and crusader) I know what I'm doing with the extra lascannons now. :o

I am going to be honest...

Those just look like little kid toys, not lascannons on treads. xD I am just saying, I could never see one of those along side a space marine in battle, even if they exsisted or not. x3

Great stuff other-wise. Can't wait to see more.

Alpha

Back to basics, back to serious... back to marines.

As the Thread is in the 'Works in Progress' section now (and u don't wanna know how long i searched!), i feel that i should show some WIP pics.

Inspired from the other armies here, this is my first enlarged marine. He will be part of a vet squad im working on. I'm gonna do all the vets in this size, because its an easy way to make them stand out in the army, and compared to other marine armies.

This one is the first one nearly ready to paint, he just needs some smoothing out at the legs.

C & C welcome, as always.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/wieims/vet02.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/wieims/vet01.jpg

@ AL

I used simple 1 and 1.5 mm plasticard, but its not my invention. Look into the tutorials, i think there must be a good guide on how to do that.

@all

The first one is painted. I just can't transport the right colours via photo, i made really plenty this time, and these are the best. Perhaps im simply unable to do a propper photo or my digicam is crap.

The white armor is not supposed to look flat for example. :P

I think i'll do about one a week, till i got a squad. I hope i'll keep on being motivated doing them all individually.

C&C welcome, u know....

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/wieims/vet1painted2.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/wieims/vet1painted3.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/wieims/vet1painted1.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/wieims/vet1painted4.jpg

I'm still a bit unsure what to do with the actual powerclaws themselves.

Option one is to make them Green, like my eyes and laser lenses aso.

Option two is to make them shiny yellow and try a kind of effect like the headlights of the speeder.

Opinions ?

@ Khrangar

its made of greenstuff an a powerclaw.

• 2 weeks later...

My newest addition to the Tears of Medusa: Machine Brother Saxulum

Fluffwise he is no sarcophagus (sp?) for a fallen brother, but a highly venerated machine created by the chapters best techmarines. As my marines are used to fighting besides machines anyway, machine brothers like Saxulum also lead squads, make tactical descisions aso..

Seen a strong incarnation of the omnissiah, machine brothers in my chapter a not worth anything less than brothers from flesh and bone.

I use terminator rules for him gamewise which represent him perfectly - of course with poxerfist and storm bolter in this case. I can also imagine other minidreads with assault cannon, chainfist, rocketlauncher aso. to get a complete termie squad.

This time more than ever: What do you think about him ? Good or bad idea? Fluffy or silly? Acceptable in a 40k game? 'Spiffy' or ugly? "Go on with it!" or "Get out of the hobby, please!" ?

I didn't post WIP pics this time - he looked the same, but green ;)

The 'fist arm' is not done jet, it will get more hydraulics.

He's on a termie base of course, other figs are on pic 2 to give you an idea of his size.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/wieims/minibot1.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/wieims/minibot2.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/wieims/minibot3.jpg

Post fast and in numbers, I'm hungry for opinions.

the mini dread is one hell of a good sculpt. not too sure about the idea behind it - maybe you could field him with your terminators. he could represent a revered and ancient suit of terminator armour dating back before the heresy... ;)

awesome work on all your models BTW

It looks too much like a dreadnought, there dosent need to be a place for the marine body to be so it'd likely be a computer or something. Which, to sell the idea, I think it should look different, not sure how, maybe a flurry of lenses or some kind of optics that look mechanical. Maybe a little narrower also and of a slightly different shape than just the typical dreadnought one. That being said, I buy your fluff and really like it.

SigmundMan, u r absolutely right.

It neednt be designed like a bigger dread, it neednt have a sarcophagus. I imagine it computer controlled too. It`s just designed like it is so that it looks better on the TT together with the other - the big - dreads.

I even thought about building an exact mini copy of every dread i own, just for style.

Fluffwise he looks that way because the techmarines wanted to use a well known design pattern that was used for milleniums before. Its unimaginable for them to completely change the holy look of a dread, just because it could be useful or logical.

Nuss, most of your work is fantastic. I lopve the lascannon on legs, and your techmarines are great. I do have some issues with the "look" of the open section in the Venerable Dread, but everything else on the model looks awesome enough that any further criticism would be redundant. The lascannon on treads... could probably have been done better, but is generally cool. Personally I would have made the mini-Dread resemble the older Space Marine Dreads a bit more, I think it would have fit in better with other Termies, but that's personal opinion.

The model I really have an issue with is the land Speeder. Fortunately, though, I also have the solution: You have the pilot and the gunner the wrong way around. It is plain to see that the reason for the unreasonably large height difference between the two is that the gunner's gun wouldn't fit over the driver's head otherwise, but if you had the driver behind the gunner- as pretty much all modern attack helicopters do, from the AH-1 Cobra through the AH-64 Apache, the Rooivalk, the Eurocopter, the Mangusta, the Hind, and so on- neither the horizontal nor the vertical distance between them need be as large. It also strikes me that in order to make the vehicle a little thinner, you could have the gun on a pintle mount in front of the gunner, or make the curvature of the mounting bar tighter.

Using the gunner-forward layout, then, would both be more authentic and allow you to reduce the size and height of the cockpit zone, making the model look better overall. This would have the additional aesthetic benefit of having the meltagun mounted closer to the front of the vehicle, where the range is measured from, and thus look less silly when you measure for shooting.

or watch the movie the island, the landspeeder type vehicles they have in that are so much cooler then GW's flying "shoes." You could alternately, copy the same style of the gunner being mounted on a firing chair like on the eldar yper.

Archived