DIY Chapter - Tears of Medusa

Aha! A 4 leg Dreadnought! Been awhile since one of those was around and it looks good, but not quite as good as the Ven Dread - that beast is promising something special indeed.

And yes, you can consider the lascannon on stilts very firmly *** yoinked*** ^_^

hey,

i'm a bit unsure if i should be happy with the comments... ;)

my transpation software doesn't even know "*** yoinked***" :P

and what the hell is a top notch? does it have something to do with engraving?

i've got a game against a friend who plays very clever tau armies on monday...

i'll try to make a kind of game report with pics and i'm gonna post my army list as soon as im sure about it - in the apropiate forum parts of course with links from and to this thread. i hope thats ok for the mods...

hey,

i'm a bit unsure if i should be happy with the comments... ^_^

and what the hell is a top notch? does it have something to do with engraving?

i've got a game against a friend who plays very clever tau armies on monday...

i'll try to make a kind of game report with pics and i'm gonna post my army list as soon as im sure about it - in the apropiate forum parts of course with links from and to this thread. i hope thats ok for the mods...

"Top notch" means that it looks really good. Awesome work on the models. The paint job is very clean.

Good luck against the Tau on Monday. Please do post a report, and if you can add the pics. I love reading batreps accompanied by good pictures to really give a sense of what went on.

Later.

Top Notch is, as Brother Renn states: 'Very good, damn good or just simply impressive'

'Yoinked' is the often heard phrase around here that means 'damn good idea, I'll nick that for my own army'

@ any mod:

how can i post a batrep or where am i supposed to post it?!

when im trying to add a topic to the "liber ..." where the other reports are, im not permitted...

what am i doing wrong?

should i post it into the geral marine thread, and a mod moves it ?

could you also do a show and tell on making the drop pod.

i don't want to have to invest my life savings on some forge world ones, and yours look like ones i want to own. even if i would have to chaosy them up a bit ;).

thanks in advance.

-Rom

Amazing Job, they look fantastic! I hope my DIY dropper army that im going to start looks half as good as that!

On a personal note, tell me, from someone who has only just tried NMM, did you find it hard to get into. Ive been painting for a few years and I think it might be time to push myself and take it to the next level, how did you find it and do you have any advise looking back on what you did?

@ any mod:

how can i post a batrep or where am i supposed to post it?!

when im trying to add a topic to the "liber ..." where the other reports are, im not permitted...

what am i doing wrong?

should i post it into the geral marine thread, and a mod moves it ?

You can post batreps in the Amicus Aedes-section, or in the forum reserved for your marines (for a DIY that would be Liber Astartes). From the looks of it, it seems you tried posting in the archives section (bottom part of the board). The archives are more for reference purposes. When there is a thread worthy of saving a mod moves it to the archives, and then no more changes can be made to it.

@ obliberator

thanks, i think i'll try it there...

@ gribnoor

In my personal opinion nmm is easier than it's always told. The servitors metal took me no more than an hour. I think as a total beginner you should try blue steel using only chaos black, skull white and shadow grey including mixtures of these.

I personally found this much easier than grey steel or even gold.

Get yourself a picture of anything in NMM, and than try to redo it. Your focus should only be on where to use pure white und to where to get lighter and darker from that. You needn't concentrate on getting perfect blendings from one colour to the other for the first tries, i usually dont use more than 4-5 colours between pure black and white. Fast results keep you motivated....

If that wasn't sufficient to help u i think i can only try to write a tutorial like "non-perfect nmm for beginners in an minute"....

@romulas

mhhh... i don't know if im allowed to explain the making of drop pods... u know that copyright stuff...

would be nice to have a written allowance from a forum mod that i can post a drop pod HOW TO

oh, that was really easy... you just need some green stuff, plasticard, and the synch. lascanons from a vehicle.

First you have to build a kind of shoulders for the dread, to make him look symetric. Thats the hardest part in my opinion... than you can connect shoulder and lascan using plasticard in any manner you like... i chose open metal joints.

just fix all "ugly parts" with enough of chapter icons, or cables.. :P

@obliberator:

amicus-aedes worked, but it has a big disadvantage....

nobody is there! for that hours of work, its really not worth it, i must say....

:huh: just because one got no super-popular order...... :)

• 4 weeks later...

So here he is:

My first real venerable Dreadnought.

Mhh.. just read the words... venerable... Dreadnought... :unsure:

In the end he took me longer than i thought initially, but not because of the painting, but because of that damn angel thinghy. How do u call 'em, by the way?

I'll never (really never) try such a guy (or are they girls?) again.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/wieims/v1.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/wieims/v2.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/wieims/v3.jpg

So what do you say?

A bit too venerable? or just right?

They look great, but your SENMM makes no sense. For example... the axe on the techmarine, its reflecting brown on the bottom and then the sky.. The problem being, why is it reflecting brown earth, when they are on grey cityfight terrain?

-Legacy40k

I'll add some Skitarii as next unit for my army, and im gonna use inquisitorial storm troopers rules for them.Does this make sense to you fluff-wise and gaming-wise?

I'm planning on:

8 troopers, 1 with melter, 1 with grenlauncher 100P

Who of you has tried storm troopers in a marine army, and has wise thoughts to share?

@ legacy

what does the SE in SENMM stand for ?

It's not supposed to make sense anyway, i paint because it shall look nice. The reflections have nothing to do with reality.

The techmarine of course is standing in front of brown earth, a little vegetable garden to be precise... didn't u know? :D

@ khrangar

are they boys or girls? or nothing of both? or is it up to me?

as he got no clothing, i didn't really know how to sculpt that...particular area... :D

@ legacy

what does the SE in SENMM stand for ?

It's not supposed to make sense anyway, i paint because it shall look nice. The reflections have nothing to do with reality.

The techmarine of course is standing in front of brown earth, a little vegetable garden to be precise... didn't u know? :D

SE= Sky/Earth meaning that it is showing a reflexion of the two, and it is meant to increase the realism by creating a reflective surface. In the case of your axe head, it just looks like the axe head is 2 colours, but isnt reflecting anything.

-Legacy40k

Archived