40k scale Imperator

Didnt some old fluff refer to the fact that an Imperator class can house a whole guard regiment in each leg section? Anyone else remember this? Im sure Im not making it up! :unsure:

It was more like a platoon in each leg.

Now see thats an effective troop delivery system! Blow a monumental hole in someones defences then, BOOOOM down comes a foot, doors open and out flood Guard/Skitari!

I always took the minis as token for the actual units they represented. So scale is sometimes off, on Epic scale for the simple reason of keeping the infantry miniatures recognizable and the Titan figures manageable (castingwise and sizewise).

So, I'd rather take some of the older artwork as 'about right'. Remember that one with the red Imperator, with Infantry swarming out of its legs like ants? I always took that as a good representation of its actual size. And combined with the description in the HH books, I prefer to think of it as that big.

Who are you gonna believe, some novelist, or me, an experienced princeps?
Do you really want me to answer that? :wub: :P

• 2 weeks later...

This is just awesome! There was a comment about the guy not being all there when he started this project... well he sure as Horus is a traitor won't be all there when he finished!

I kind of agree with Brother Shrike, it could do with a lot more ornamentation and detail, but since it was even made in the first place is impressive enough.

There was also a lot of talk (at least at the beginning of the thread on page 1 - I skipped page 2 as I don't have time to read it all at the mo) about the scale being off. I'd like to point out that WH40k is not to scale. Not by a long shot. I've seen Guardsmen models the height of Space Marine models, and then there's the age old point of "you try to fit 10 of those Space Marine models (even minus bases) comfortably into that Rhino, with room to spare - and that's not even considering the crew room, storage room and engine space!".

Which actually led me to imagine the size of a Rhino when I got off the bus today and saw it driving away - I'd say at least the size of two lanes of traffic (on UK roads) - the Land Raider probably spanning the entire width of a 4 or 5 lane motorway....

Anyway back on topic - that is awesome. I shudder to think of the points cost!

Just thought I'd say, as has been pointed out several times in discussions of transport sizes and the like. There is no such thing as comfortable when it comes to military transport. Men are packed into the vehicle with their equipment, and as long as they can get out and not be crippled by cramps and so forth, then you're good. As an example, try taking the miniature sidecar gunner from the attack bike and fit ten of those into a Rhino. Remember that the Marines will not likely all get a seat.

Just thought I'd say, as has been pointed out several times in discussions of transport sizes and the like. There is no such thing as comfortable when it comes to military transport. Men are packed into the vehicle with their equipment, and as long as they can get out and not be crippled by cramps and so forth, then you're good. As an example, try taking the miniature sidecar gunner from the attack bike and fit ten of those into a Rhino. Remember that the Marines will not likely all get a seat.

Who said we aren't crippled by cramps when we get out? Are you kidding me? Driving a Humvee or riding in the TC seat (riding shotgun for civilians) in your full gear, you CANNOT even turn side ways... Don't get me started on riding in C-130's, or Bradleys or something similar.

1. 40k is not 100% accurate on scale.

2. Transports are not accurate to scale.

3. Titans are never quoted the same size, think of them all as different, they're not production line, they're each a "One-of" piece. Clears up the problems, no?

Yes, this titan is a bit bland, but, it still was made, so, it's impressive. Does anyone remember the Warlord on WarSeer? It was by Inquisitor Hein... I would post a link, but, my link to it isn't working. =( or how about our own B&C post of A ForgeWorld Reaver Titan

Oh yeah. I like it. :confused:

1. 40k is not 100% accurate on scale.

2. Transports are not accurate to scale.

3. Titans are never quoted the same size, think of them all as different, they're not production line, they're each a "One-of" piece. Clears up the problems, no?[/url]

Oh yeah. I like it. :D

That is so true - scale for one of a kind 'Gods', rather than production line, would be so mutable, especially without STC technology. Anyhow, here it is again, now with other Titans in the photo for game scale comparisons...

Lots of the old units, bubble raiders even. I personally really dislike those Epicast (that's what they are, right?) Warhounds. >.<

Is that the same titan? Where is his back / shoulders?

The army is almost all old style - out of the 192 regular marines, 10 are not beakies (and 5 of those are pre-heresy suits). All the terminators are metal. The hardest thing to find are the landspeeders, so I've gone new style on them (with beakie heads.)

I like those Armorcast Warhounds much more than the FW ones - both in shape, and in playability. Everyone has a personal preference, and that is part of the joy in the hobby - creating something unique that you like.

Both hips of the Imperator are broken - that is literally balanced there for the photo. The back, and all it's adornments, were a little too much to balance, so I left them off. The arms have come off as well - the glue is old and brittle. This is going to be a challenge to complete Mike Biasi's proto-type, even having the 'plans' to do so...

I bet painting it is going to be a real challenge!
Air brush - no other way to realistically to do it. Sure, a tank brush for the fine details, but other wise - air brush. :P

Ah yes... I didn't think of that really :devil:.

Nice work on the marines though... I'll post my WIP for my chapter... right now I have about... 1 company based and primed... 1 company in box, 1 company in pieces on sprues =p

Super jealous of the titans though. soon... sooooooooon! (geez, I only got to build for like 3 months, gimme a break!)

So, I guess that is the prototype then? Nice. ^.^

The half finished titan on the first post was on e-bay not that long ago, went for £700 notes! in its current state.

It seems to bounce around the net a lot.

Several stories exist for it, ranging from a crazed scratch build to a prototype design by armourcast for the Imperator that was never finished.

Still i am happy making my Jackal Warhound out of plasticard and Brass.

mmmm scratchbuilding

The half finished titan on the first post was on e-bay not that long ago, went for £700 notes! in its current state.

It seems to bounce around the net a lot.

Several stories exist for it, ranging from a crazed scratch build to a prototype design by armourcast for the Imperator that was never finished.

Still i am happy making my Jackal Warhound out of plasticard and Brass.

mmmm scratchbuilding

It bounces around posts on the net, I'm sure, because it was Mike Biasi's. And thus has somewhat of a pedigree. And is incomplete. And so people have wanted to see it completed for the last 15 years, well before this feeding frenzy caused by Apocalypse.

Anyhow, hopefuly you have created a thread somewhere, so we may all enjoy another scratchbuild Titan. The addition of brass is fairly rare, so I know I would like to see what you have done with it.

• 4 weeks later...

agreed, take a look at the stryker in AVP:R the door is so small the people have to duck to get in/out, and it's about the size of an extended cab pick-up... (15ft?)

I'm not concerned about the height of the vehicle, it's very realistic, and the crew (who only have to be able to get in/out through their roof hatches) don't need that much space.

I would imagine that a Land Raider is slightly more spacious (should be able to hold 6 termies and 12 marines not 5/10) and the tech-levels are advanced enough that standard systems can be miniturized so the resident techmarine can monitor them properly. I believe that that hellblade (is that the right name???) only has a small walkway for the techpriest.

space marine is 7 feet tall, which is like... 2 point... 2.3 meters, and an Imperator titan is 45 so... that like 19 marines tall, prolly almost as wide, and the head could pass for a small loft (I guess)

those cannons are about twice to three times larger than a defence laser (eyeballing it) so I don't doubt they could drop an orbiting ship, specially with those plasma/nuclear reators they'd deck it out with. They're transported in spacefaring drop capsules aren't they? freakin 'uge!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

To address a few of the questions and suppositions on the Imperator in the first post. The Imperator in the first photo was sculpted by Mike Biasi during the time of the Armorcast license as a personal side project. That photo was taken in his home shop. It is 40 inches high and was scaled up from the Epic models the same way the other Armorcast Titans were (using GW's published Titan heights from Adeptus Titanicus). We did not have the option to drastically alter the sizes of Titans like Forge World does. If I remember correctly the actual size would have been 36" , but Mike made it a little taller.

The Legio Mortis Dies Irae Imperator Titan is listed in the HH novels as 43 meters high. Using a figure height scale of 1" = 5' (1/60th scale), this comes out to 28" tall in 40K "scale", so would be smaller than Mike's model.

Regarding the lack of detail, no detail has been added at all. Detail would have been added after the basic structure was finished.

The Plasma gun is not a plunger, but a machined resin piece...

Casting it would have been really exciting, but it could have been done. We were looking at a price of around $1200.

Tim DuPertuis

Armorcast Owner 1995-2007

Archived