Imperial Fists Heresy Era Army

Daeothar

Thanks penguin_16; you give good advice sir. :) The silver looks great in combination with the yellow.

I'm running behind. Dang ADD has me cleaning the house, watching fishing programs and cooking like a chef but no volume painting... :devil:

Anyhow, I did manage to finish this guy, so I can start on the basecoating of the next. I'll do those by threes just to get some momentum going or I'll never make it in time.

I still need to base them too of course and I fear the marble effect on those tiles will be less than desired, but I can always come back to them. Right? Also still need to tackle 8 backpacks (I hate those), one of which has a banner; freehand required...

Don't know if I'll be able to base the Rhino at this pace though. It'll be playable without of course but I'll try my darnest to get it done in time. The first two colours of the camo scheme have been applied btw, before I started on this guy. Nothing to write home about yet though.

But an end to the ranting! Here he is. As you can see, he is a tactical marine and the checks are his company colours. All will feature those checks and colours in one way or another. They'll all get a squad number but I haven't decided on one yet. I'm leaning towards a prime number, just because they're cool and appear random. ^_^ There's quite a lot of squads in a (pre) Heresy company, so I'll probably take a higher number, like 23 or 41.

His bolter has kill markings. According to the mini-bible that is the Small Red Space Marine Painting Guide, each line is one kill and the skull represents 20. And somewhere along the way he also earned himself a Laurel badge...

gallery_745_1025_11022.jpg

Back to the saltmines painting desk. Why can't I ever finish ahead of time? :D

Looking good. I suppose, if you want to ensure speediness, you could forego basing the Rhino, as well as ignoring little details like checks on shoulderpads, kill counts, etc. I figure you might consider getting them all painted well, then if you have time, going back and adding cool stuff like that.

Alternatively, you could alter your list to the way it was originally (no Rhino, Tank Hunters, tank-busting Dreadnaught). Well whatever you go for, good luck getting it done in time.

Thanks guys! :)

@ Stuart: That's always a possibility and one I am keeping in the back of my head as a last ditch attempt.

24 kills for a full marine brother? Seems somewhat low.

Somewhat low for a Marine having run with the Great Crusade? Yeah. But the killmarkings are on and for the weapon, not the Marine. According to the booklet, it was considered bad luck not to mark a weapon's achievements.

The captain's weapon has 200 kills; 100 is marked by the white field, and the 2nd hundred is marked by a red line, as will the next one hundred. His is an older and revered weapon, whereas this marine probably lost his bolter in battle (or it got damaged) and got issued a new one along the way (probably during the Siege of Terra itself)...

Update: basecoating 3 marines at the moment, 2 Mk5s and 1 Mk4. :)

Ok. One last update today before I turn in; I have yellow spots floating in front of my eyes... :(

These guys will be finished tomorrow night. I thought Mk2 armour was time consuming to paint, but Mk5 is also quite slow. And because they're old casts, they tend to be a bit 'fuzzy' in their finish. Meaning that features on the mini tend to fade into eachother or, worse, end in a jumble of unidentifyable relief, usually in a place where a flie can't reach. This forces you to make decisions on what ends where and what some things are even! To make matters worse, I discovered that quite a few of these minis are already suffering from leadrot! Good thing I'm painting them now and not storing them for another 10 years or they would be piles of dust...

Anyhow, here they are:

gallery_745_1025_98976.jpg

I finished the 3 WIP marines, so tomorrow, it's off to paint the remaining 4. I'll be tackling them all 4 at once, as I found that saves time.

So, here are two Mk5s and one Mk4 marine. I try to give them all a bit of personality in their paintjob, mostly inspired by their armour type and their pose.

This guy might wear a new suit of armour, but he's a calm veteran, not easily worked up. He's part of the Company Lieutenant's bodyguard:

gallery_745_1025_19235.jpg

However this marine is straight out of the scout companies and already is looking to show his dedication by dying a heroic death in battle as indicated by the skull and crossbones on his forearm. He recovered a fallen veteran brother's bolter and has been allowed to keep wielding it:

gallery_745_1025_95600.jpg

Now this guy truly is a veteran of the last part of the Great Crusade. Nothing phases him really, but the idea of fighting brother Marines fills him with horror and grief in equal measure:

gallery_745_1025_16470.jpg

Remaining are a Mk4 (with PG), a Mk5 (with ML) and two Mk2s, one of which is the Lieutenant, the other is the Sergeant. (in-game, the Lt will be the sarge, where the sarge will be just a standard marine, but this looks more interesting...). Also remaining are 8 backpacks (one with backbanner), 8 bases, a Rhino and (maybe) the Rhino base. I think i can safely say the display base will have to be foregone. This time... :(

looking forward to seeing these at the weekend. After talking to you the other night i went and dug out my RT marines. Dont suppose I can have my land raider back? Only kidding! i'm going for a new model pre-heresy army.

@ angel robertson: As it is, I don't either...

Last night, painting furiously away at the Lieutenant, I realised I would not get them finished in time. Not without skipping work, foregoing a lot of details and effects and elemental things like modelled and painted bases, the entire Rhino etc.

So, with a sad heart, I have to admit defeat and cancel the IFs participation at this event. :(

I will still go, but will deploy my trusty Dark Angels instead. I will do some patching up work to the dreadnought and that's the extend of what's required to make them a nice fighting force.

After the tourney, (next week) I will continue with the IFs, as I do want to finish them. In fact, I'd like to expand on them to 1000 points and take them to another doubles tournament in January. Keep your fingers crossed I will be able to make that work... :tu:

@ Corver: I'll bring them along this weekend for you and the guys to gawk at... :P

Tonight I'll post some WIP piccies of them as they are now and some shots of the replacements in green...

Last update for a couple of days, as I do up the DA in the other thread. The next week, it'll be back to these yellow bastards ^_^

Some shots of how far I am now:

The entire force, with bitz yet unpainted in a pile next to the WIP Rhino:

gallery_745_1025_103248.jpg

And a closer shot of the guys I did get done in time:

gallery_745_1025_133257.jpg

Laters guys... :P

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah; just to let you guys know I'm on the case again; I hope to finish the Lt. by the end of this week and maybe some more guys if I can find the time.

Ranging ahead though, I've also gathered enough Scouts and a Sergeant to make a full squad. They're wielding BP&CCW and the Sarge has a BP and PF (yes, I'm guilty; I converted him... :blink: ) All models are RT era Scouts (no doubles; yay!) and the Sarge is the only metal Scout Sergeant model available at that time (Space Wolf Scout Sergeant 2, together with his 2 rarer brothers). I have 2 anyhow, and this one I won in a bitz buy and was already cut up. His pistol had already been taken off and replaced by a PP. But I don't want to risk him melting himself so a BP replaced it. Besides; this will be a cheap sacrificial squad to tie up juicy stuffs and even the PF was a stretch. But at least they'll be able to take on all-comers and still stand a (small) chance of taking it down...

Pics to follow soonish. I'll snap a few pics later this week but I have to focus on finishing the Tac Squad and their Rhino first...

Yellow!!! :lol:

Shame on you. I've just gone on eBay to look for old metal marine minis. I might just do a SW or a Sons of Horus force, I have about 20 of the old beakies lying around anyways.

You just made it look too sexy.

The painting is great, and the army is sure to look impressive once you're done.

Well, a little progress report; here are two guys that are almost done. A Mk2 that will be the squad leader. The Company Lieutenant to be exact; the squad is his personal one. The second guy is the squad plasmagunner, who I will paint up (very probably) as the squad's Sergeant, just for variety's sake and who's ever seen a Sarge with a Plasmagun anyway? :unsure:

He'll just be a bog standard Plasmagunner ruleswise of course.

They're both pretty much done but for the heraldry, chapter badges, rank insignia, honourbadges etc etc. I hope to be able to tackle those tomorrow night.

To go with this squad; 2 more marines; a Mk2 and a Mk5, one of them carrying the squad MisRocketlauncher. Both of those have the yellow applied, I just need to black undercoat those parts not yellow and paint them.

Then it's off to finishing the paintjob on the Rhino and then on to the 10 man strong scout Squad. I't ready to be painted, so pics tomorrow night (I hope).

Archived