Imperial Fists Heresy Era Army

Daeothar

Looking good; as said, they're gonna be great inspiration for my Imperial Fists (if World of Hobbies ever delivers my Captain and I get started, that is...).

However, I'm a bit peeved you opted to not show us some scouts, even if they aren't painted. :ph34r:

Ah well; you request, we play! ;)

All RT metals, from both series (yes there were two: the first one was a wild eclectic bunch but the second one was more in line with the plastic scouts form Lost Patrol and Advanced Space Crusade; different poses (but much the same as the first series) and more uniform. Literally) See if you can tell them apart...

The sergeant I took some liberties with, as I wanted this army to be competative as well as good looking (my previous armies all lacked in the effective department). I won't be overdoing the effectiveness thing too much of course as I want to stay true to the minis and the era I chose for them but for the sarge I had to squeeze in a bit of converting.

The only Scout Sergeant minis from this era, apart from the, rather naff (did I say that?), plastic sergeant, were the 3 Space Wolf Scout Sergeants. Now, I could not get hold of my first choice, the one with the grenade and bolter, so I had to settle for the number two; the one with chainsword and boltpistol, of which I had a double anyhow.

The 2nd one I had came from a bitz buy some time back and he was already cut up; the former owner had cut off the boltpistol and substituted a plasmapistol instead. As I don't trust the combination of potential overheats, my dice and single wound minis, I replaced the plasmapistol with a boltpistol again. And since this is a CC squad, I wanted to give them something heavyhitting, so after long deliberation, I decided to go for the effective and coincidentally fluffy powerfist to replace the chainsword.

It was quite an easy conversion, with some 'guitarwire', filing and pinning, it doesn't look out of place at all. I also took the liberty of cutting away the wolf skull insignia on his belt and replaced a FW Imperial Eagle instead. Breach of my own protocol, I know, as I could have taken one off a lunchbox bolter, but this was a conversion with

wow! i have not seen those scout models in a long time. my fondest memory of those is from a piece of art where a group of them are fighting an old school nid warrior. great stuff daethor :) i look forward to seeing them painted to your usual high standard.

• 1 month later...

Talk about a long pauze eh? Well, the boys in yellow are back as I've been hit with another bout of inspiration. I've painted too much Warmachine and assorted other stuffs lately, so it's good to do some more powerarmour... <_<

Here is the lieutenant (vet sarge for gaming purposes), still lacking his backpack and banner but I'll be batch painting the backpacks and then treat myself to some freehanding on the banner:

gallery_745_1025_20079.jpg

Yes; I got the inspiration for the purple to red of the powersword from Hash's Lucius, although I did not use yellow but red instead. I'm pretty satisfied with the result though!

And here is the squad sergeant (normal marine in-game), toting the squad's plasmagun :

gallery_745_1025_22636.jpg

All squad members will later receive their squad number but as of yet, I'm quite undecided on which number that will be for these guys. I'm kind of partial to 41, 47 or 23 myself, with a slight preference for 47; what do you think?

This is my favorite log! What is it about yellow marines.. First I'm inspired by Des' Marines Malevolent, now Daeothar IFs..

This stuff is soo cool. And I wasn't around for it, but you can just see the character! Very cool, I like the Lt alot.

47 is a cool number, best of what you suggested.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe go for roman numerials, because whilst stylised hindu-arabic numbering (i.e 1,2,3,4,) looks good on DAs, BAs, or Salamanders etc.... roman numerials give an archaic look to the legion which fits well with the pre-codex (roman/classical themed) IFs.

Maybe try VII (7) , IX (9) or something small as most double digit numbers take up a bit of space?

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but after painting some more of them and seeing the trailer for the upcoming movie 'The Number 23', I'm quite set on making them 23rd Company. I've always liked prime numbers and with the added mystique of 23 (whether you buy into that stuff or not), I think that's gonna be it.

I have used Roman numerals on the Lieutenant's bannerpole (which is actually flying the company banner; he's toting it to honour the fact the captain himself is leading the force) showing the Legion's number.

I might go with assorted numbers, either in Roman numerals or not, for squad designations, but I think the squads will simply have the sergeant's name as a designators instead. I will also nick Corver's idea of coloured backpack cowlings to distinguish individual squads.

One thing is certain though; the Dreadnought's updated banner will sport the battle honour 'Roma'... :tu:

Another small update: the squad's heavy weapon, a Mk5 marine with Miss- ehm, Rocketlauncher:

gallery_745_1025_88140.jpg

One more to go and the squad's done. :wacko: Then it's on to either the scouts or the robots, haven't decided yet...

Thanks.

But: Hmmm. Looking at the pictures now, I see the layering of the yellow could have been a bit more subtle. I started this guy months ago and last night I thought he was all but finished, as all that remained was the seperate launcher with arm, so I tackled that, glued it on, took a couple of pics, posted and went to bed.

So now I see the buckle is not yet done, the eyes are not done and the yellow needs work. Grrr. That'll teach me not to leave a mini on the painting table so long... :rolleyes:

++EDIT++ I did the eyes and buckle last night, as well as some touchups on the yellow to smoothen the transitions a bit. I'll post pics tonight... :blink:

*drumroll* the first of the Robots, to count as Terminators and the controller, who will be just token in-game.

This is a Crusader Robot, which will count as the sergeant, with powerweapon (the claws) and stormbolter. These originally came with either a heavy bolter, meltagun or lascannon, none of which are legal options for Terminators. So I played around with several ideas for representing them, amongst which was having them count as attack bikes (so I could at least use the HB or MM) but that just didn't sit right with me (too fast), so I stuck with termies. This meant converting stormbolters for them, which I did with two lunchbox bolters and some plastic rod and -card. Pretty easy conversion, that.

The other robots with receive this conversion as well. Well, two of them, the other two will sport an Assaultcannon. For those, I will use the original Autocannon arms that came with some robots. After this one will follow two Castellans (one with AC), a Cataphract and a Conqueror (with AC).

For now, enjoy;

gallery_745_1025_52131.jpg

gallery_745_1025_18853.jpg

Miss- ehm, Rocketlauncher

Too late .... :lol:

Impressive blog so far, and it's nice to see that those old Marines can be made to look very good with a bit of love and care - I'm mostly impressed by that Rhino's improvement.

• 5 weeks later...

Progress is slow but steady. I have now prepped a second Dreadnought, which will wield a Rocketlauncher and the lascannons previously found on the first Dread. The launcher is completely scratchbuilt from, of all items, a bulletshaped car tyre valve cap I once got a set of as a gift after buying my first car. 'Blessed be who hoard their stuffs' :teehee: It was made by adding a plastic disk in there and adding the tips of several (7) Mk82 bombs in 1:72 for the tips of the rockets.

In the meantime, this guy has received extra armour in the form of a shield (much like the first one) and a bannerpole, also with a fist on the top. The searchlight is a twin of the one on the first dread, made of a spacer from a serial cable, the lens of a Maverick missile in 1:48 and the headlight of a 1:35 Tiger Tank.

gallery_745_1025_4878.jpg

gallery_745_1025_60442.jpg

He'll take over the Venerable role from the other dread too, matching his weapons loadout. I'm thinking of modeling him on a pile of rubble to give him a bit more height. Maybe the rubble will consist of a wrecked traitor Rhino (as I have a mangled, no longer usable one lying around). Anyone in favour of a specific legion to be stepped on? I'm leaning towards something non-Iron Warriors, as that's been done to death already. World Eaters maybe?

The first dread though, will now be sporting an assaultcannon. And to match it with the ACs on my robots (to be shown soon), I scratchbuilt this one from a couple of pieces of plastic tubing and the bitsboxed remains of a Space Crusade dreadnought lascannon, with the mastmounted FLIR from an AH-6 as ammo drum:

gallery_745_1025_62747.jpg

Barely visible in the background is the new banner of the first dread, still unpainted.

Also, for my first heavy support choice, I converted this Devastator Squad:

gallery_745_1025_89232.jpg

Seeing as devvies were all important during the defence of the Palace, they just have to be included! :) They are armed with two Rocketlaunchers and two Heavy Bolters. The HBs are from the (first) plastic scouts. I made them to look like they can be used either on the shoulder or with two hands. I simply added an extra grip to both to bring the idea across.

The Rocketlaunchers are the RTB01 ones, like the one in the tactical squad. To break up the monotony of poses with the launchers, I converted one to look like he's reloading (maybe an ammobox on his base) and the one not quite finished here, is now, and has a pose like he's scanning the battlefield, with barrel of the launcher tipped up a bit.

Second HS choice is a Whirlwind. It's pretty much finished, complete with extra armour (much like the Rhino) and also has a crewman using a scanner (one of the old rider torsos). The launcher itself is modelled after the old Epicast one and is completely removable, to turn the vehicle into another Rhino. Pics to follow soon...

Archived