Imperial Fists Heresy Era Army

Daeothar

@ Bastirous: Feel free to copy the plasmaguns; the more the better :-)

@ Shrike: I had quite a number of them remaining from days gone bye but on several occassions, I was able to win some in eBay auctions, bitz buys etc. I'm sure that if you call the GW Direct service, they might be able to supply with them still; they have more in stock than is listed on the online store...

@ MAratheus: I will be posting some finished pics of the existing 600 points later this week.

As for the shoulderpad; I do not know what the preferences are you have saved on the board, so which mini is on your page 5 I do not know but as you mention a Rocketlauncher, there are just two possibilities.

The Mk5 marine; I took a 2nd ed shoulderpad and shaved off the rims till they were flush with the rest of the pad. I then drilled small holes in the correct pattern on the surface of the pad and inserted pieces of plastic rod.

I first filed the end of the rod round, then cut it off at the right length and glued it in the hole. Rinse and repeat about 20 times and prepare to be severely bored...

The Mk2 marine: I once again took a 2nd ed shoulderpad and shaved off the rims. I then took a length of plastic (shallow) U-profile and cut away one of the legs till a L-profile remained (I have L-profiles, but this was the only way to get the correct height and width).

I then bent the profile around the handle of an Xacto knife till it was round enough to fit the curve of the pad and cut off two lengths to fit the pad. The two curved lengths were then glued to the pad and held in place whilst drying (I believe I used a clothing pin).

When the edges were dry, I then added slivers of plastic rod at regular intervals for rivets, after I cleaned up excess glue with a combination of files and blades. I'm especially satisfied with that technique. Not so much with the studded pad of the Mk5, but then again; I bought those nifty rivet heads for the next one, so let's see how that turns out...

As promissed, some pictures of the entire army as it stands right now. The Rhino is still under the brush though, so that will follow later.

The entire 600 points so far (sans Rhino of course):

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsArmy/IF600noRhino.jpg

The lieutenant commander leading the Captain's honour guard and the sergeant of 14th squad:

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsArmy/IFSgt_Lt.jpg

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsArmy/IFSgt_LtBack.jpg

Note that the lieutenant commander is flying his personal heraldry, while the sergeant has a fascilism of the company's standard.

Next up is the squad lead by the lieutenant. The squad's sergeant has the mounting for his banner on his backpack but is refraining from flying his banner because the lieutentant commander is present.

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsArmy/IFSquadBlueFront.jpg

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsArmy/IFSquadBlueBack.jpg

And finally 14th squad:

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsArmy/IFSquadredFront.jpg

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsArmy/IFSquadredBack.jpg

Note that the cowlings of the backpacks of the different squads have specific colours, to more easily discern them on the battlefield/table. Works great and looks the part too. :tu:

As I've said a few times, I love this army. The yellow is incredible, and overall it's just impressive. If I was a dedicated enough eBayer, I'd try something similar.

Let us know when the Rhino's done...not to mention anything else you might add.

• 5 months later...

Thanks guys. I know I've been long lagging in adding updates but rest assured; there is progress. I've changed some of the organisation, going with an assaulty commandsquad led by a chaplain. except, it's not a chaplain but a counts-as Emperor's Champion; Sigismund. After all, he was at the palace during the siege and most are in consent that that would be a perfectly viable counts-as. Heck; he even wears black armour!

I've also converted several marines to be CC oriented (chainswords etc), shifted the Lieutenant to this squad and added another Mk2 to his old squad, converted with Powerfist and Combatshield.

The Commandsquad will be made up of:

- Sigismund (Chaplain, hereforth to be called the Emperor's Chaplain :P ),

- Veteran Sergeant with Powerfist (the old Mk7 Captain with Powerfist and Bolter, the Bolter converted to a Pistol, with added Combatshield)

- Company Champion (the aforementioned Mk2 Lieutenant, who completely fits the equipment loadout already)

- Marine with Flamer (straight up Mk6 with handflamer and Chainsword)

- Medic (Mk 3 marine with Chainsword, Boltpistol, added pouches and apporiate paintjob)

- 5 Marines with Chainswords (one with axe) and Boltpistols; a variety of Mk3, 4, 5 and 6)

As you can see, they're 10 strong including Sigismund so I can Rhino them around. I've got one extra marine in the works for addung to the squad whenever they will not require transportation.

The other two squads have had additional marines added to bulk them both out to 8 strong. I intend to eventually make both of them full strength (10).

Pictures to be added later on but don't expect them this weekend; I'll be away. But next week will be a guarantee, with hopefully some painted pics soon as well.

Keep the yellow alive! :(

gotta love that heresy armour dude standing upright with his hands on his hips - stil la great model today!

this thread is amazing! i never knew the old minis were so cool!

looking forward to seeing the landspeeder painted up!

• 1 month later...

Amazing job ... I hope that my actual IFs went done in the same quality, but I still have a lot of learning to do.

If it's not to much of asking how do you get this yellow coat ?

I'm doing:

White primer

~3 layers of thinned Sunburst yellow (Vallejo game color equivalent) 1:1 with water

a single layer of yellow ink

I got a nice result ... but knowledge is never too much =)

Once more congrats for your IF's.

Sons of Dorn, ADVANCE !!!!

• 7 months later...

The project has been on hold for some time now, but expect some more additions in the near future; I just had my Robots returned to me (they had been on loan for over a year) and I fully intend to tackle the maniple as soon as my Fiery Lions projects are finished (and I'm zooming forward on those :Troops: )

• 6 months later...

Well, back from the depths of the archives. Dang, it sunk deep this time; better keep it nearer to the surface. Ah well; I can try at least. :P

First up: thanks for all the praise again guys; I know it comes a bit late, but your replies are much appreciated, regardless of my ADD induced wandering away from the project yet again.

Secondly; here is the 6th member of what is simply known as 'squad blue' for now. They were 5 man strong, with both a special weapon and heavy weapon, which under the current rules is a nono. So I'm going to have to up the headcount to ten per squad and this was a small step towards that goal. Red squad is up to six already, so they will get to welcome their 7th member next.

As you can see, a simple metal Mk6 with bolter. What more does a marine really need? He's a Sigismund fan, judging by the fashionable cross on his left shoulderpad and he's dome something brave enough to warrant a nifty laurel wreath on his greave as well. His current bolter has already chalked up 30+ kills, as marked by the stripes on its casing.

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsArmy/IFSquadBlueTrooper6.jpg

I noticed I still need to add the foliage on the base; it looks sort of bare here, but it will fit in with the rest later. Also, several shading lines need touching up. Amazing what Macro photography reveals, isn't it? ;)

Now, I'm undecided on the next installment of this epic adventure; I'm in the mood for something special, so this could mean any of the following:

- Sigismund, the 'Emperor's Chaplain' (he will be fielded with Chaplain rules).

- The first Terminator of a squad of 5.

- the first Robot of a Maniple of 5 (to be fielded as Terminators)

- The stubby Dreadnought.

- The first Landspeeder (still needs magnets for the weapon options)

Afterwards, I'll return to the rank and file marines, but I'd like to add something not in yellow power armour for a change. Now I hear you think; 'you picked the wrong army if you don't like painting yellow power armour dude', and it may appear you're right, but after 13 marines and a dreadnought, I'd love to do something else, just for now.

So; what'll it be? :)

I'm glad you kept going with these guys. Whats cool to me is that some of these photos might as well be 20 years old. ;) That last bit there is another great addition.

I want to see the finished rhino you've been promising. :devil:

Well, as promissed; I'm lumbering on. As nobody had a preference for any of the special projects, I picked one myself:

Sigismund, the Emperor's Champion/Chaplain.

Now, I know this guy is a bit of an Anachronism; the mini was released in 2000, so almost 10 years too late compared to the other miniatures I'm using, but he just belongs here. Because I realised, when I was deflashing him, that this is, to my knowledge, the only miniature of a character actually present during the Siege of Terra! (bar perhaps Khârn, but I have my doubts about him too and Lucius doen't count; he's died a zillion times since then and even when counting those traitors, he is the only loyal one. Oh and a limited edition to boot!). Also; he was an Imperial Fist, making him one of two dedicated Imperial Fists miniatures out there (next to Lysander).

Anyhow; here he is:

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsArmy/Sigismund/Sigismund%20WIP1.jpg

And his rubble strewn base (with yet another anachronism on there, but hey; it's just basing, right?):

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsArmy/Sigismund/Sigismund%20WIP2.jpg

His backpack is detachable (magnetized) as he will be played as a chaplain and I might want to swap his backpack for a jumppack if I decide to let him run/jump around with the Assault Squad. This backpack has a bannerpole (scratchbuilt on top of his original pack), as I like them and also because he was first and foremost a captain, so I'll have to devise some heraldry for him too; another chance for some freehand. :)

So; I'm off to the garage with him and a can of black spray paint. It's pretty hot and humid right now, so help me hope this goes well... :ph34r:

++EDIT++ update: spraying went well and he's now drying on my desk, all black and Templary already... :)

Archived