Imperial Fists Heresy Era Army

Daeothar

I field it as a powerweapon; sort of a cross between a Lightningclaw and a Jokaero Digital Weapon... I had no complaints yet, so pray all players are as lenient... :sweat:

I field it as a powerweapon; sort of a cross between a Lightningclaw and a Jokaero Digital Weapon... I had no complaints yet, so pray all players are as lenient... :D

Ah that makes more sense to me now. It looks fantastic it just looked tiny compared to the huge PF's GW has released now. :sweat:

Thanks :) Two reasons for that becoming a powerweapon really; 1 - it's too tiny to be called a powerfist, even though it might be done and 2 - powerfists on independant characters are not the smartest of choices and going against my army trackrecord, I'm actually trying to make this an effective army as well as looking good ;)

really love the new base ;) he came out rather well i gotta say. hmm your going to uk GD, there a meeting place arranged this year?

And again thanks; that is the plan, but as continental moderators are concerned, I'll be the only one. As for a meeting place; I'm sure something can be arranged... :teehee:

• 2 months later...

Yes; back on track and some progress to show for it too! Trying to actually make it to the Doubles Tournament I've been wanting to go to with the IF last year too but failed because I could not finish the army in time. Well, as of today, I still have one month and 4 days to make it happen. I still need to finish the following items:

1 Plasmagunner

1 Sergeant (no veteran!)

1 Heavy Bolter marine

12 backpacks

12 bases

Finish off the Rhino (it's ready but only halfway into the painting right now)

3 Banners on respectively: the 2nd Sergeant, the Lieutenant and the Dreadnought (and hopefully two small ones on the Rhino as well...)

Hmm. Come to think of it; this still is quite a big list... :tu:

Ah well; we'll see how far I can take them this time.

First up, the plasmagunner for the second squad. I've divided squad number 1 up a bit, to come to the list you can comment on right here. It's a bit quiet there atm, so thanks Stratokhan for taking the time to post there ;)

I cut off the front end of his bolter (don't worry; this one was rather miscast; not enough metal had reached the barrel end and it looked kind of off to begin with) and after careful fitting, pinned on the same combination of 2nd ed. plasmapistol and sprue cut-offs as I did on this one:

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsHeresyEraSquad/Sergeant1.jpg

However, as this is a partial metal weapon, I had to do some extra filing to smooth some things out, eliminating some of the surface detail. Therefore I added a slice of plastic rod to act as the gem/knob/indicator thingamabob behind the coil and several plastic rivets I ordered a couple of weeks ago. Those are brilliant; they're cast on sprues with a tiny rod of smaller diameter holding the heads. One drills a hole into the surface where the rivet goes (same diameter as the tiny rod) and inserts it into the hole with some plastic glue. The guys making these things made one more fan, trust me...

Also I added a metal skull thingy from the non-GW bitzbox. No idea where it's from but it has been there for a looong time. I just filed the rear concave to fit the curvature of the plasmagun and glued it into place:

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsHeresyEraSquad/PLasmaMarine2WIP.jpg

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsHeresyEraSquad/PLasmaMarine2WIP2.jpg

I also have the Sergeant and the Heavy Bolter ready but those will have to wait in line for the photographer a bit longer. Expect them to be posted up in a couple of days...

++EDIT++ fixed 1st picture URL :D

Always good to get some yellow-inspiration. Looking good, I'll be pretty disappointed if you can't get that stuff done with a whole month to work on it :devil: .

Out of curiosity, does your partner's army have a similar theme on any level (besides being power-armored)?

At this point I must admit of being very envious (in a good way!) of your army, as recent events are proving that it's now or never to start a retro army with at least some GW support. It'll be the harsh yet sometimes bountiful wilderness of Ebay, and not much else, very soon.

I like the new plasma gunner, I can't say I remember seeing that particular mini before though.

and several plastic rivets I ordered a couple of weeks ago. Those are brilliant; they're cast on sprues with a tiny rod of smaller diameter holding the heads. One drills a hole into the surface where the rivet goes (same diameter as the tiny rod) and inserts it into the hole with some plastic glue. The guys making these things made one more fan, trust me...

I for one would be very interested in knowing exactly where you got this stuff from.

It's a bit quiet there atm, so thanks Stratokhan for taking the time to post there :devil:

Not a problem, if anything more occurs to me you'll get some more feedback.

@Vash113: Cheers. I'll see if I can get a group shot of whole lot later this week. I might also add future additions, not yet refurbished and/or converted, just to give a sneak peek at what I'm planning...

@ Stuart: Me too, but as it is, I'm pretty confident I will make it (but then; I've been that before...)

My partner has a tabletop standard Blood Angel army, which he will be fielding as a Codex force, as the tourney organisation were doing funky things with the Deathcompany rules (I'm no BA player; I'm not sure what the issue was, but vanilla was ok by them too apparently...). His army is painted to a nice standard but consists mainly of newer plastics. His most ancient mini in there is Mephiston (and I doubt he'll field HIM in a 600 pts a player game!)

@ StratoKhan: All of these minis were obtained through eBay, though I admit that most of them were in my possession before the Pre-Heresy craze took over the Space Marine community. They used to be dirt cheap but as it is, prices are going through the roof! I might call GW Direct very soon to see what they still have available and get me a stash of items that will disappear from their store. Worst idea ever from GW; thinning their archive range (well, for me anyhow ;) )

The mini in question here, is one of several Mk6 marines that were produced in a very short run at the end of the RT era/beginning of 2nd ed. It was at the time the older (smaller/ RTB01 compatible) Mk6s were being phased out in favour of the larger Mk7 minis of 2nd ed. If I recall correctly, there were two bolter ones and three with CCws. One of which had a flamer. All of these had very static poses (like this one) and were variations on this pose; just arm poses and weapons differed. I have them of course and they will all make an appearance in the army at one point.

The rivets are from a company in the US called TICHYTRAINGROUP.COM. They're pretty well stocked on all kinds of rivets, nuts and bolts, all scales and sizes. I found them through some B&C member's signature (so thanks for that; whoever you are). I'll be ordering from them again soon to get some more sizes but you can see how small they get on that plasmagun. Uniformly sized too, so no more filing tiny diameter plasticrod rivet by rivet or GS punching or whatever technique you use... ^_^

@ Wokkers: thanks ;)

So, as promissed, here are the Heavy Bolter marine and the Sergeant, both in undercoat.

The Heavy Bolter, I've shown before, but I've given him a helmet spike (pinned plastic rod and the tip of some 1/72 fueltank, filed into the right shape), in keeping with the Mk2 Lieutenant I did earlier. And also to make him more distinct from his twin, who will feature in the Assault Squad. See; originally, this guy had a Chainsword in the left hand and a Boltpistol in the right, but the previous owner took away the Chainsword (pretty good job, all things considered) and I added to the damage by cutting off the right arm, removing the Boltpistol and re-attaching the arm with the Heavy Bolter from a plastic Scout. Only minor cutting (Scout arm removed, concave opening enlarged to fit the shoulderpad) was required and after some pinning, he looked great. I also added a small metal skull (from the same stock as the one on the plasmagun) to his beltbuckle, as that had been shaved flat too before I got my hands on him:

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsHeresyEraSquad/HB1WIP.jpg

The Sergeant is straight and unmodified, save the drilling of the barrel on the Bolter. His Mk6 armour has a modified helmet very similar to a Mk5 one, so I'm still contemplating turning him into a modified Mk5 by adding studs to his legs and helmet. Depends on how fast I receive those larger rivets really.

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsHeresyEraSquad/SgtWIP.jpg

Maybe I'll get some painting done on these guys this weekend but most likely, it will be next week before they see a brush...

IF for the win!

I like your yellow, the brighter color works well on the older models. and some of the helmets are just crazy awesome. makes me want to replicate them for the newer plastics.

Following with interest,

Nate

• 3 weeks later...

Finally; the long expected update. Guys; after two years, it finally looks that I'm gonna make it! :D I finished the last three marines in the 600 points force I've been planning to take to a yearly doubles tournament.

So, here are, in no particular order:

A Mk2 marine with Heavy Bolter. This marine was bought in a load of bitz and the original sculpt came with a chainsword and boltpistol. However, the previous owner had removed the sword. As it was damaged anyhow, I then cut off the other arm, removed the pistol and pinned the arm back, at a different angle, so the arm would be holding the Heavy Bolter.

I also added a helmet spike made from some plastic bitz, pinned for her pleasure. Oh; and a pistol grip from an RTB01 boltpistol to his holster.

He has pretty standard markings, the only deviation is a small Maltese Cross badge on his chest. The heavy bolter sports the standard heavy weapons starburst marking with the number of kills inside of it (94 in his case). I added a pistol grip to the suspensor unit to the rear, so that, when combined with the carrier handle, the user could fire it underslung as well (much like the modern version of the Heavy Bolter).

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsHeresyEraSquad/Mk2HB1.jpg

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsHeresyEraSquad/Mk2HB2.jpg

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsHeresyEraSquad/Mk2HB3.jpg

Then, the plasmagunner. Mk6, obviously. Another previously damaged mini, retasked to special weapons duty. 'His right arm has been painted white to indicate his company's most famous action occurred when he was still a recruit' (little red Space Marine Painting Guide). He also has a skull and crossbones on his right greave, to indicate he's looking for a glorious death in combat to prove his devotion. With a plasmagun, I'm sure his wish will be granted sooner than he thinks. We can only hope it will be as glorious as it will be spectacular... ;)

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsHeresyEraSquad/Mk6PG1.jpg

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsHeresyEraSquad/Mk6PG2.jpg

Then. last but not least, the sergeant for the second squad. This guy is completely unmodified (as they all should be really...). I had toyed with the idea of adding studs to his greaves and hlemet, turning him into a Mk5, but I'm glad I haven't.

He's sporting a crimson glove, to indicate a budding link with the Imperial Fists' successor chapter, much like some of the others have links to the later Black Templars on thier armour. He also has a massive Terminator honour on his shoulderpad (and a crux hanging from his belt, just to be sure) even though that was not common practice just yet. I attribute it to some marines taking up the practice, which would turn into a codex preactice later on. He leads a shooty squad, with a plasmagun and a Rocketlauncher, so he has no upgrades at all; just a bog standard Bolter sarge. He will get a banner though.

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsHeresyEraSquad/Mk6SGT1.jpg

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsHeresyEraSquad/Mk6SGT2.jpg

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsHeresyEraSquad/Mk6SGT3.jpg

So, what's left to do?

- 11 backpacks for starters. I'm gonna tackle those this afternoon. Two of those will sport backbanners; the sarge above and the lieutenant, who leads the other squad. They will probably be fascilisms of the company banner (again, as per the little red book ;) ) however, I might make the lieutenant's a depiction of his own heraldry (see his shoulderpad).

- Then there's the Assaultcannon on the Dreadnought that needs painting; I'll do that together with the backpacks.

- 11 bases; those are for Wednesday evening. They will be a combination of marble tiles and rubble, to mach the existing ones.

- The Rhino needs finishing. The camo job has to be finished and highlighted and markings applied. I wanted to hinge the top doors but those will now have to wait till later. That will be done Thursdaynight.

This leaves me with extra time on Fridaynight and some on Saturdaymorning as a safety for those things that take longer than expected. Saturday afternoon and evening/night will be spent at my girlfriend's B-day, with the tourney starting Sunday morning. I'll be driving, so not much drinking will occur but no doubt, I will be a bit the worse for wear, as usual. Only this time it will not be due to painting till 5 in the morning but an actual party. Hey; this planning thing isn't so bad...

Man these are coming along very nicely. Really cool paintjobs and so much killer detail. The weapon conversions look amazing as well. And you know, I like that heavy bolter better than the new one. That HB just screams space marine to me. Compact stylish euro-box-o-death. And i like that theres the option for a pintle mounted trigger. Very cool old school. :whoops:

There's just something about that Heavy Bolter that I really like. Nicely painted, hope to see more soon.

And the addition of crimson gauntlets and the like is really great, It adds a lot to the force.

That MkVI Marine's clean lines are amazing by the way. Such a sleek model. And the Plasmagun really came through with that painting, it doesn't look kitbashed at all.

Archived