Sword Bearers WIP

El-Diablo

Apart from waiting for GS to dry, the chaplain is ready for paint. If anyone has any ideas on anything to add (or a name for that matter) let me know.

I wasn't quite sure about him when I started the comversion but now he's done I can't wait to get some paint on him.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/Chaplainwip1.jpg

It all looks great. I like your general theme alot and the Chappie looks coherent and your custom job is well executed.

Ive got an oddball question tho, If ya dont mind?

Whats the spacing (in mm or imperial) between the rivets on the trim of the metal shoulder pad? I dont have that model, and just noticed how ace that pad trim looks :P

Cheers

- T14

(or a name for that matter) let me know.

Looking good; I like the purity seal around the crozius. Elisar seems to be a biblical name, so you could explore Jewish names for the Sword Bearers. It'd be quite a nice touch that isn't that common. Try a site like this for some possible inspiration. It'd be a step away from the 'typical Latin name' system.

Thanks for the link Commissar, though I will need to hide it from the mrs, she'll think I want kids!

@ T14 - 2mm between rivets.

the bolt pistol definatly needs something. Im thinking a purity seal over a skull, being a chaplains weapon. That being said, I could get away with either.

Hopefully i'll have another update later today, probably with some paint.

Well, the undercoat is dry and with that, the metallics are done.

I know the photo is a bit crap, but I can honestly say that this is the best gold I have ever painted, and i've been looking for a good gold recipie for about 10 years.

And its all thanks to the new washes.

I wasn't too sure of them at first, but it can't hurt to experiment so out came the devlan mud for the gold. The basecoat was shining gold, 2 undiluted layers of devlan mud, highlighted with shining gold then gold plus mithril. After that it got a thin glaze of the old brown ink just for good measure. Even if a good way to do gold comes from the new washes for me, i'll be happy with them.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/Chaplainwip2.jpg

I didn't realise it unpainted, but now I see it undercoated, I have to admit that the faceplate of that Chaplain's helmet is actually incredibly unnerving. My opinion of that Chaplain model has increased a hundredfold, and it's down to you, Midian! The gold is looking great, too.

Looking forward to more updates!

Well, the undercoat is dry and with that, the metallics are done.

I know the photo is a bit crap, but I can honestly say that this is the best gold I have ever painted, and i've been looking for a good gold recipie for about 10 years.

And its all thanks to the new washes.

I wasn't too sure of them at first, but it can't hurt to experiment so out came the devlan mud for the gold. The basecoat was shining gold, 2 undiluted layers of devlan mud, highlighted with shining gold then gold plus mithril. After that it got a thin glaze of the old brown ink just for good measure. Even if a good way to do gold comes from the new washes for me, i'll be happy with them.

I love the new washes on the metallics. It takes a few more layers than the inks did but they don't overpower the metallics and I love the softening effect they have. I just found the same gold combo earlier when I was working on my Chaos Terminator Lord (well, almost the same, I had 3 layers of wash with the last being Gryphonne Sepia).

I really like the Gold on him. What is this Devlan Mud you talk of? Its not a Gw colour is it?

Devlan Mud is one of the new washes GW released last week.

Thanks very much gents.

Your right on the faceplate Commissar, its a bit more 'evil' looking than the other helmets.

Which brings me to a question - do I leave the top of the helmet as it is, or do I go black to accentuate the faceplate?

Im going to start the red next (pad rim, eyes and crozious wrap) then the pouches. My second question of the night being, what colour do do the middle part of the crozious haft? Initial thoughts are a dark laqured brown (i mean really dark. I'd do it by washing the area 5 or 6 times with undiluted brown ink to tint the area) but any other thoughts are welcome.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/Chaplainwip3.jpg

Agreed that the parchment is awesome. May have to pick up these washes myself.

On the helmet I agree that it would be nice to have it contrast to the face. However considering the rest of the armor is black, keeping it black may not make it jump that much. Perhaps keep with the metal or even brighten it up a bit to look like silver.

Cheers fellas, im pretty pleased with the parchment myself. Lets just hope I don't mess it up when I get onto doing the writing.

I think the helmet is going to stay bone for the time being, i've added another highlight which seemed to do the trick.

Tonight i've managed to get everything done bar the armour and the nmm on the shoulder pad icon. Hopefully he'll be finished tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing him complete. Have you picked a name for him yet?

Not yet, im going to have a look at the link you posted when I get round to detailing the parchment and see what jumps at me.

I really like it :o. Whats your recipe for the parchment?

Get ready for the long haul with this one, its not many colours but there's a lot of layers.

Basecoat graveyard earth, wash with brown ink.

Layer graveyaerd earth, and keep adding kommando khaki for as many layers as it takes to get to pure kommando khaki - the more layers, the smoother the finish.

Once you get to pure khaki, add white for the next highlight, then glaze with brown ink. re apply the khaki/white highlight and your done.

To put it in perspective, the 'loincloth' parchment alone took about an hour, though most of that was waiting on paint to dry.

I think Kommando Khaki is the worst paint I've ever used. I could just never get used to it. Admittedly, I'm no Picasso, but it just never worked for me.

Your right there, as a colour on its own its an absolute pain to use. I think you could get better coverage over black with white. If you use it as a highlight or as the lighter tone in a blend (see parchment) it works great, but still needs layers. It beats bleached bone for me as its not as 'yellow' as bleached bone and looks more natural.

There would of been a finish on the chaplain tonight but too many post-work beers put a stop to that.

He will be finished tomorrow though. Then he'll stop looking at me funny. :o

Archived